Author's Chapter Notes:
I just thought the little story about Katie-Beth's friends would be fun before trouble starts.
Chapter 3 (Old Friends And New Meetings Part 1)

The next morning, Buffy and Spike had the most unusual alarm clock, well Spike did Buffy was used to a hyperactive four year old jumping all over her in the morning.

“Morning mommy,” Katie-Beth smiled down at Buffy. “Why is Spike in bed with you?”

Both Buffy and Spike groaned when they heard the inquisitive four-year-old’s question, but Buffy had the incentive to answer. “Why don’t you go downstairs and watch some TV while mommy and Spike wake up properly and get dressed because we need to talk to you about something, okay sweet girl?”

“Okay, mommy, Spike,” Katie-Beth agreed as she leaned down to press a kiss to both Buffy and Spike’s cheeks then jumped off the bed and ran back downstairs.

“So, we gonna tell ‘er, luv?” Spike asked as he pulled Buffy back to lean against his cool chest.

“Yeah, we have to before the others get here,” Buffy said as she gave into the feeling of Spike’s hands kneading her breasts. “Because, oh Spike, Dawn guessed after being with her for a short time. And not in natural light too.”

“Well, I’m not going to be in natural light, am I pet?” Spike asked.

“But you could,” Buffy teased as she wriggled out of Spike’s arms towards her bag. “You see, after you went to LA to torture Angel, he sent something back with Oz and Oz gave it to me.” Buffy produced a small ring on her hand and offered it to Spike.

“Is that...?” Spike asked hardly believing his eyes and Buffy nodded. “I thought that the poofter destroyed it once he got it back.”

“So did I,” Buffy said as she slipped the ring on Spike’s finger and kissing the palm of his hand. “But apparently, he didn’t. Giles had it checked and everything after Angel posted it back. But I guess there’s only one way to be sure...” Buffy pulled a second thing from her bag and handed it to Spike. He immediately flinched away from the cross pendant on the necklace, but smiled when his flesh didn’t start to burn and felt his body heat up slightly. “I guess it was the real thing he sent back.”

“Let’s get dressed and we can tell Katie-Beth out on the porch swing,” Spike said as he pressed small kisses to Buffy’s neck and shoulder once again, but stopped when the smell of Buffy’s arousal hit his nostrils. “Come on pet, dressed now. We can have that type of fun later.”

S***B

Thirty minutes and several make out sessions later, Buffy and Spike finally made it downstairs to find Katie-Beth helping Dawn and Joyce make some sandwiches and prepare the salad.

“I’m sorry, Spike,” Joyce said as she remembered Spike couldn’t go outside. “I prepared today to be a barbeque and I forgot about...”

“Not to worry, Joyce,” Spike said as he held up his hand, Buffy gave me this, this morning.”

Joyce looked at the new ring on Spike’s hand. “Have you checked that it’s the real thing?”

“Yep,” Buffy smiled. “Now, we’re going out to the porch swing to talk to Katie-Beth about something.”

“It’s not about me waking you and Spike up this morning?” Katie-Beth asked with sad eyes. “I didn’t mean to jump on top of you.”

“Of course not, petal,” Spike said as he lifted Katie-Beth up. “Me an’ your mum want to talk to you about something important.”

Buffy led the way out the front door with Spike following behind her and sitting down on the swing with Katie-Beth between them. Buffy began the talk with their daughter.

“Sweetie, you know how you’ve been asking after your daddy a lot lately?” Buffy asked and Katie-Beth nodded.

“You said that he was a kind man that lived in the same town as Gramma,” Katie-Beth smiled, proud of herself being able to remember such information. “Now that we are here, do I get to meet my daddy?”

Buffy looked at Spike encouraging him to continue the conversation. “You have already met your daddy, petal,” Spike smiled down at the mini version of Buffy but with his eyes.

“The only man I’ve met is you Spike,” Katie-Beth said with a puzzled look on her face, which softened once she realized what was being said. “Does that mean that you’re my daddy?” Spike smiled and nodded. “Why didn’t you come see us, daddy?”

Buffy decided that she should take over the explaining. “That’s mommy’s fault, baby,” Buffy explained. “See, at the time, mommy’s friends didn’t really like daddy and I didn’t know how they would react to finding out about you, so I ran away and that’s how we ended up in Boston. Your Grampa let me use the holiday home where me and your Auntie Dawn had a lot of fun Christmases. I only told your Gramma and Grampa about you before you were born. Your daddy and Auntie Dawn just found out last night. That’s why your daddy didn’t visit us and I’m sorry about that baby girl.”

“Why did your friends hate daddy?” Katie-Beth asked. “Was he a bad man and went out with you when he already had a wife? Because that’s what happened to Alice’s mommy and daddy, he doesn’t live with them and Lucy’s mommy doesn’t like him because he went with another lady when he was still married to Alice’s mommy.”

Buffy was surprised at that. “No, sweetie,” Buffy said as she hugged the little girl. “That’s not why mommy’s friends didn’t like daddy. That’s a story for when you’re a few years older. Now go in and help Gramma and Auntie Dawn finish up the party food.” Katie-Beth nodded then ran inside doing what her mother had told her to do.

“Did you know anything about tha’, luv?” Spike asked as he nuzzled Buffy’s neck with his lips. “About her mate’s folks?”

“No,” Buffy whispered. “I was wondering where Lewis had been for the past few weeks, but Carol just told me he was working on a client in Seattle. I guess that’s the reason she’s moving back to Florida with her sister Karen, that’s Lucy’s mom. Katie-Beth won’t have any friends around her age near us anymore.”

“Move back here,” Spike said as he pulled Buffy onto his lap. “That way you an’ Katie-Beth are around family an’ you can be here in case anything happens to your mum or Dawn.”

“Okay,” Buffy agreed with a smile. As long as we get our own place. Me, you, Katie-Beth, Dawn and any... other... little ones... that just, um, happen to, um, come along. Eventually.”

“We could take this place over from your mum when she moves in with Giles," Spike said then he realized what Buffy had said. "You want more kids? With me?” Spike asked his eyes wide and his hand caressing Buffy’s stomach.

“Yeah,” Buffy said kissing Spike passionately. When they broke away for air, Buffy asked something that was puzzling her. “Does the gang know that I’m back?”

“No, they don’t,” Spike answered honestly. “They think they’re coming round for a get together before your mum’s surgery. It was arranged before your mum knew you were coming. She’s been more of a mum to the Whelp an’ Red than their own mum’s have been. The same for ol’ Rupes, he’s the father figure for the pair an’ their partners.

“Okay,” Buffy smiled as she snuggled into Spike’s arms more. After a while she looked up at Spike once again. “I know I said eventually, and last night I said Katie-Beth was a handful, but can we start trying tonight.” Spike just smiled and placed a soft kiss on Buffy’s nose whispering ‘anything for you princess, anything for you’.

S***B

The group of five were lounging in the living room watching some cartoons when Buffy decided to nudge Dawn in the direction of telling their mom about her boyfriend. Dawn finally took the bait and began to speak.

“Mom?” she asked tentatively. “There’s something I need to tell you.” Joyce turned to her youngest daughter and signaled for her to continue. “When I’ve been out late working on my bio project, I’ve not been at Janice’s. I was at my boyfriend’s house. His name is Connor and I was paired with him and I didn’t know how to tell you. I was wondering if I can invite him and his dad round for dinner tonight after his dad finishes work?”

“I wish you wouldn’t lie to me, Dawn,” Joyce sighed. “But yes, they can come over seeing as how we’re having the whole gang over. Does he have any specific preference to take out or is he like you and eat anything?”

“Thanks, mom,” Dawn squealed. “No preference, but if his step-mom comes, too, she’ll just eat salad.”

“Alright then,” Joyce said as she shook her head. “Go and let this boy know about tonight and if he’s bored he can come over early. And his step-mom, too.” Dawn just nodded her head and ran out the house to go and tell her boyfriend Connor of the news leaving the other four to watch cartoons.

Half an hour later, Buffy Spike and Katie-Beth were snuggled up on the couch watching Sponge Bob while Joyce was in the kitchen making the last minute preparations for the party when there was a knock at the door. Not hearing any movements from the living room, Joyce went to answer the door. All of Buffy’s friends had turned up at the same time and she invited them in.

“Just go into the living room and wait,” Joyce said thinking that now was as good a time as any for Buffy to confront her friends. “I just have a few things to do before we start and Dawn isn’t back from Connor’s house yet.”

“I can help you,” Giles said as he began to move to the kitchen.

“No, I can handle things,” Joyce said as she ushered the group into the living room. The group just stared open mouthed at the scene in front of them and Buffy hadn’t seemed to notice so she thought she should break the ice. “Buffy, there’s some people here to see you.”

Buffy turned at her mother’s voice, but was glad that Spike and Katie-Beth remained glued to the TV set with Katie-Beth murmuring short explanations about the characters and what was going on. “Hi, guys,” Buffy said with a nervous smile. “Miss me?”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review and tell me what you think. I'm in need of some ideas as I've changed the direction of this fic due to reader response.