Chapter 5, No Place Like Home,



SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE



“Abbot Popeo, the Beast! It is here!” Brother Levi screamed. He pressed his body against the door that swelled around him. He didn’t know how much longer his magic would hold against the creature on the other side.



“Finish the ritual,” the Abbot commanded the two monks in front of him.



“We did, Abbot,” Brother Malachi said. “It was of no use. The other Hell-gods are unavailable to help us against the Beast.”



Abbot Popeo hissed his displeasure. The Key had disappeared from the monastery just days before. “Find the Key!”



“Yes, Abbot Popeo,” Brother Malachi replied. He looked across the smoke at Brother Zeev. “Start the search.”



Brother Zeev nodded. He bent over the incense, and he inhaled deeply while Malachi and Popeo chanted another ritual. The smoke would help open up his mind to allow him to see things that were unobservable by the naked human eye. Zeev allowed his spirit to leave his body, where it meandered around the room assessing everything. Finally, he said, “The Key is where it is meant to be.”



“With them? The ones that will guard it?” Popeo asked in a slow whisper.



“Yes, sir,” Zeev replied with a nod.



Behind Zeev the door burst open around Brother Levi, flinging the now injured monk across the room into the stone wall.



“Where is my Key?” Glory bellowed as she marched into the room.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



REGULAR TIME, SUNNYDALE



Buffy’s body slammed against the fence where the ‘Private Property, No Trespassing, Violators Will Be Prosecuted’ sign hung. She ducked just before the huge biker vamp’s fist could connect with her jaw.



“I’ve always wanted to kill the Slayer.”



“I’ve always wanted piano lessons. So really, who’s surprised we have all this unexpressed rage?” Buffy slammed her fists into the vampire’s face until he stumbled away from her.



A nearby chuckle echoed off the surrounding vacant buildings. “If you really want piano lessons, just say the word, pet.”



The biker vamp whirled around to confront the voice. “Who are you?”



Buffy shook her head with a laugh. “Eh,” she said while she pulled a stake out of her sleeve. “I’m just expressing my anger a bit better than this idiot.” Buffy plunged the stake into the vamp’s back. “We’ll just sign him up for a good anger management class.”



Spike watched the vampire turn into dust. “Or not.”



“Hey, what are you two doing here?”



A bright light flashed into Buffy’s face, and she turned to see a night watchman approach from behind the fence.



“If you’re looking for one of those rave parties, I’m afraid you’re too late.” The watchman swung his light towards the factory. “I chased a bunch of kids out of here last night.”



“Ah honey, I told you it was last night,” Spike chortled.



Buffy glared at her mate before she stepped away from the watchman. “Yeah, darn. My fellow ravers will be so disappointed too. It was our turn to bring the Bundt cake.”



Spike gave the watchman a confidential look. “Which is probably why they told us two different times. My girl here can cook a mean pancake, bacon and eggs, but baking is beyond her.”



The watchman chuckled. “You know, if it was my call, I’d let you do whatever you want. It’s not like anyone’s using this place or anything. They don’t pay me to argue with the boss though.”



Buffy moved to Spike’s side where she laced her arm through his. “Already gone.” She started to pull the vampire away from the fence, but the watchman held up his hand.



“Hey. Hold it, miss. Take your…” The watchman bent over to pick up a glowing yellow orb that he handed to Buffy. “… whatever this is with you.”



Buffy looked at the orb, rolling it around in her hand before she handed it to Spike. “Thanks.”



“Glow balls, huh?” the night watchman laughed. “I swear I don’t get your generation. What is that thing?”



Spike shifted the orb in his hand. “Guess we’ll find out.” He tucked the ball into his duster pocket before he escorted Buffy down the street.



The Slayer gave the watchman a jaunty wave over her shoulder. “Sorry, we bothered you,” she said.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



Dawn strolled into the kitchen where she found Buffy preparing a breakfast tray under the watchful eye of Reginald Bey. “What’s going on?” she asked.



Buffy looked up from her task. “Mom’s sick, and I made her a nice non-instant breakfast for a change.”



“You cooked?”



“Oh, ha-ha,” Buffy fake laughed. “I can cook just fine. It’s the driving I’m having a hard time getting the hang of.”



Joyce entered the room still dressed in her robe and pajamas. She crossed to Reggie who she kissed on the cheek before she smiled at her daughters. Noticing the tray in front of Buffy, she said, “Oh, check out the ‘Pamper Mom’ platter.” She glanced at Dawn. “The two of you do this?”



Dawn knew better than to take credit when Buffy had a witness. “Nope, just got here myself.”



Joyce glanced at the others. “So, everything’s okay, right? No pregnancies, no failing grades, and no indictments, I assume.”



“I knew you were feeling less than great, Mom.” Buffy gestured towards the tray. “I was just hoping to make you feel better.”



Joyce nodded while she sat down at the table next to Reggie. “Yeah. The headaches they said would go away came back and brought some friends along with them.”



“Oh, ouch,” Buffy grimaced. “What did the doctor say?”



“Oh, you know. Take four of some pills a day and come back for tests.”



“I’m not so sure the pills are working,” Reggie spoke up. “Joyce has been having nightmares.”



“So, they have no clue what’s wrong?” Buffy shook her head. She picked up the plate, and she placed it in front of Joyce. “Dawn, grab the juice please.”



“Not yet they don’t,” Joyce said.



“Well, that’s unacceptable. I think we should get a second opinion,” Buffy grumbled.



Joyce laughed. She picked up her fork. “We need to get a first opinion first, honey. I have an appointment next week. Reggie insisted.”



“I’ll be keeping an eye on her,” Reggie replied. “I want you two to go about your lives like normal. Now, Dawn, you need to get to your morning class while you, Buffy, need to get down to help Giles. It’s his grand opening day.”



“Oh, I forgot that was today,” Joyce said. “Make sure you bring me back … oh I don’t know … a flying broomstick or something.”



Dawn scoffed. “Those never really work.”



“Now, pumpkin belly, don’t be a spoilsport,” Joyce teased.



“Mom, that’s a baby name,” Dawn protested. “Why don’t you come up with something embarrassing for Buffy for a change?”



Joyce considered the request before she shook her head. “Nope, she’s always just been Buffy.”



Dawn rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Are we going to the book club tonight?”



“Depends on how she feels,” Reggie said in a protective voice. “In the meantime, we’ll be sticking around the house today. The ladies down at the gallery can handle a day without supervision.”



Joyce turned to Dawn. “Don’t you have a rain forest report due today?”




“Don’t remind me,” Dawn moaned. “I suppose I should go.” She kissed Joyce on the cheek before she scurried into the living room to find her backpack.



“I better get going too,” Buffy replied.



“Have fun, honey.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



Buffy strolled into the Magic Box. She glanced up at the quaint bell above the door when it jingled. “That wasn’t here before,” she muttered. Then, she noticed Giles standing in the middle of the room in a sparkly purple wizard’s robe with a matching wizard hat. She burst out laughing. “Oh, God, Giles. It’s not Halloween.”



“I know that,” Giles answered in a haughty manner. “I was just trying for some ambience.”



“Okay, if you say so.” Buffy looked around at the lack of customers. “How long have you been open?”



“Since nine this morning, actually.” Giles looked around too. “Still, not to worry. I have a feeling about this place. Magic’s a small niche market, but think about it. Sunnydale … monsters… supply and demand. They’ll be lining up around the block in no time, especially if I don’t die anytime soon guaranteeing the supply.”



“Yeah. You’ll be making money hand over fist.” Buffy looked at her hands for a moment before she held her hand over her fist. “I don’t understand that one, but I guess it’s a good thing, right?”



Giles gave Buffy a puzzled look. “Quickly and continuously actually. You seem kind of distracted.”



“Mom’s still sick, and we have no idea what’s going on.” Buffy shook her head. “She’s going to the doctor next week.”



“I’m sure they know what they’re doing,” Giles tried to reassure Buffy.



“I hope so. Anyway, before I forget, Spike and I found something on patrol last night.” Buffy reached into her purse to pull out the glowing ball that the security guard had given Spike and her. “What the hell is it?”



Willow burst into the store with Riley behind her. She didn’t miss the Slayer’s grimace at the sight of the ex-soldier. Sorry, Buffy. He caught me down the street and followed me, Willow thought.



Giles kept his attention on the sphere in Buffy’s hand. “It appears to be paranormal in origin.”



“Really, how can you tell?”



Giles was unsure how to answer the question. He took the ball from Buffy, and he rolled it around in his hands. “Well, it’s so shiny,” he said in a lame voice.



“May be more where that came from,” Riley spoke up. “I say we go back out again tonight.”



A snort sounded from the doorway to the backroom. “What’s this ‘we’ shite, Finn?” Spike strolled up to Buffy, and he kissed her on the cheek.



“You’re not patrolling, Riley,” Buffy said. “Not only are you recovering from a major surgery, but you’re recovering from that magical whammy Toth hit you with.”



Riley pulled himself up to his full height in the hopes of intimidating the shorter woman and vampire. “I’m an adult. If I want to patrol, I am more than able.”



“Don’t be stupid, Riley,” Buffy protested. “Honestly, it’s best if it’s just Spike and me. You’ll just get hurt again.”



Riley looked hurt and a bit miffed. How am I going to prove to her that I’m worthy of her attention? He turned to Giles. “You got that danger room set up in the back? I’m feeling the need for a little physical rehab right now.”



Giles handed the sphere to Willow. “Of course, yes, Riley.”



Riley stormed past Spike and Buffy, slamming the door to the back room behind him.



“Oops, I think I hurt someone’s feelings,” Buffy said in a sheepish voice. “Today’s just not my day.”



The shop phone rang, and Willow went to answer it. “The Magic Box, how may I help you? Oh, hey Reggie. Well, hold on. Let me ask.” Willow held the phone away from her face. “Buffy, can you go pick up your mom’s prescription at the hospital pharmacy?”



Buffy glanced at the clock. “Uh, yeah. I think Spike and I can swing by the hospital.”



“Tell the sheik we’ll be there in a few.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*



Buffy took the bottles of pills from the pharmacy tech, and she thanked him with a smile. Then, she turned to Spike who took the bottles from her to study the labels. While he was looking at the bottles, two orderlies and a nurse passed by with a patient.



Buffy watched them wheel past. She gave the patient a confused look before she tugged on Spike’s sleeve. I wonder what’s wrong. That’s the night watchman from the warehouse.



Why don’t you ask?



“Excuse me.” Buffy put her hand out. “I know this guy. He’s a night watchman at a warehouse. What’s wrong with him?”



“I can’t really tell you that,” the nurse said. “You have to be family. I’m Ben, by the way.”



“Buffy. This is my boyfriend Spike.”



Spike grunted. He didn’t like how the git was looking at his girl. So, he slipped Joyce’s medicine into his pocket, and he put his arm around Buffy’s shoulders.



The watchman suddenly sat up to struggle against the orderlies. “I don’t belong here. I have important instructions, you fascists.”



Ben turned to the watchman. “Now you’re hurting the nice orderly who’s here to help you. I need nine cc’s of Phenobarbital in this guy now.”



“I’d say he’s slightly crazier than that last time we saw him, pet,” Spike said quietly. He studied the man on the table.



“Doesn’t even help,” the watchman muttered. “Doesn’t even make a damn bit of difference.”



Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I think you’re right.”



The watchman lunged away from the orderlies to clutch at Buffy’s arm. “They’re coming at you. Don’t think you’re above it, missy. They come through the family. They get to your family.”



“My family. What do you mean?”



“It’s okay, Buffy.” Spike stepped forward, and he pressed the night watchman back onto the gurney. “Hurry up and strap him down, you gits.”



The orderlies hurried to comply with Spike’s command. When the watchman was finally strapped down to the gurney, the bleached blond man stepped away. He shook his head. “Seemed perfectly fine last night.”



“Let’s get him to Exam One,” Ben said. “Now would be nice.”



Spike and Buffy watched the night watchman be wheeled away. They had a silent conversation going on in their heads about going back to check out the warehouse again.



“Sorry about that.” Ben gave Spike and Buffy an embarrassed smile.



“Not your fault.” Buffy waved her hand. “No big deal.” She pulled Spike away from the other man.



So, you think we should check out the warehouse again, Buffy asked.



Spike threw a look over his shoulder before he said, “Yeah, might be a good idea, Slayer. Something happened to the man between the time we saw him and this afternoon.”



I’ll step up the research on the sphere just as soon as I can, Giles intervened on the conversation. Just as soon as I find the time. Oh, customers.



“We need to get these to mom,” Buffy said softly. “Then, we’ll go do a better search of that warehouse where we found the glow ball.”



“Sounds good, Slayer,” Spike replied. He put his hand on the small of her back while he guided her out of the hospital.