Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to xaphania for doing an awesome beta job! Also, for helping me out along the way and encouraging me, means a lot! *hugs* Also, thank you to the reviewers and readers. I know its frustrating that I haven't finished my other WIPs but stick with me, I *will* finish them. Thank you sooo much!
“Hello, luv. Care for some company?” he asked, his rich, British voice washing over her like a tidal wave.

Hearing his voice, his accent, his tone, his words made something inside of her click. She knew now why he looked so familiar, and she almost died when she came to her conclusion. Spike Pratt. The Spike Pratt was sitting in front of her, talking to her. She had to struggle to keep her fangirl excitement to herself.

He was obviously trying to blend in, to be able to go out in public without people screaming and grabbing at him. She could respect that. In a total 'I'm going to lie to you and pretend I don't know who you are just so you will hang out with me a bit longer' way.

She was frozen. Staring at him, blinking as she processed everything that was happening. First thought was 'Ohmigod, squeal, you know you want to!'. Second thought was 'He wants to sit with you... talk with you.. Holy shit! This is the best moment of your entire life!' and the third thought was 'You probably look like crap! Why would he want to talk to you?'.

She quickly darted her eyes down to her cup and smiled shyly. “Uh... I don't know. Not really in the mood to talk...” she said quietly, then looked back up at him. “But maybe it will take my mind off some things.”

He smirked at her. That unbelievably sexy smirk, and she barely managed not to swoon. “All right. What's your name, pet?”

“Buffy. Buffy Summers. And yours?” she answered, then held out her hand for his, trembling at the thought of actually holding his hand.

He took her hand in his, then brought it to his mouth for a lingering kiss on her knuckles. “Name’s William,” he said, using his real first name. He didn't know what to say for a last name aside from his own, so he used the first thing he could think of. “William Winters. Nice to meet you.”

Buffy giggled and took her hand back from him, using it to swipe some hair behind her ear nervously. “Nice to meet you too.”

There was an awkward silence for a moment, neither one knowing what to say to the other. Buffy was having a meltdown on the inside. When he’d kissed her hand, she’d thought she would faint. It was a miracle that she hadn’t. She couldn't understand why he was sitting in front of her, staring at her like she was a piece of fine art. Surely she looked like hell after her crying session, but it seemed he didn't care. It made her heart swell.

“So,” he cleared his throat. “What was making you so sad?” he asked, then immediately felt like kicking himself.

“I thought you were going to help me keep my mind off of it?” Buffy asked, keeping a playful tone to her voice. She didn't want to make him feel bad, or make him leave her alone.

He smiled, it was his turn to be nervous. “Right, I uh...” he said, then started to play with the rim of his coffee cup. “If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. Just thought that, you know, talking about it would help a bit. Maybe help you come up with a solution.”

She could see him fidgeting, and it made her giggle again. She placed her hand on top of his and smiled. “It's okay. I'll tell you,” she removed her hand from his and took a deep breath. “My mom. She’s being a bitch, pardon my French. She won't let me go to this concert on Friday night. We had a big fight about it, and she keeps telling me that my studies should come first. But my grades are fine, not as good as they used to be, but they are enough to get into a respectable university. Besides, I'm going to be graduating next month anyway.” She sighed and slumped into her seat. “I just don't get why she won't let me go.”


Spike nodded his head, then took a sip of his cooling coffee. He was saddened to know that she was still in high school and not in university like he'd originally thought. But he wouldn't let his guilt of being attracted to her get to him, even though she was younger than him. He was only twenty-two, anyway. She was almost graduating, so she couldn't be too much younger than him.

He knew that it was his band that she was talking about, but he wasn't going to tell her that. “I see. What band is it?”

Buffy laughed, knowing he knew what band it was, but decided to play along. “Only the best band ever! Adrenaline Rush. I'm their biggest fan.” She said, matter-of-factly.

Spike smiled broadly, loving the fact that she adored his band. If she knew who he was, she was doing a bloody good job at hiding it. “Oh really?” he said, playing along with her act. “I hear they're pretty good, but I've never actually listened to their stuff.”

“Seriously?!” Buffy asked, almost bouncing out of her seat. She dug through her purse for a second, then pulled out her iPod. “Well, let me be the one to expand your musical horizons!” She said, holding out a side of her headphones for him to take.


He chuckled at her enthusiasm and took the bud from her fingers and put it to his ear as she pushed play. “What's your favorite song by them?” he asked as his own music flooded his ears.

“Oh, that’s easy,” she replied and started to search for the song in question on her iPod. When she found it, she pushed play. “This one is called 'Smile'. I love the piano, and the lead singer, Spike, sounds amazing. The lyrics are good too. Great song.”

He nodded, and watched her sway to the music. He remembered when he wrote this. It was when he was with Drusilla. A shot of pain lanced through his heart, but he didn't dwell on it long. That part of his life was over, and he was okay with it now. Instead of thinking about those memories, he listened as Buffy started to sing along with his words. She had a great voice.

'I get blinded when she opens the door
its like looking into the sun, you know
and I'm just blinkin', mumblin', starin' at my shoes
and she just looks at me and smiles'


“Be careful, luv,” he said as he took the earphone from his ear and handed it back to her. “You sound pretty good, might get pulled into a duet with the band.”

Buffy's heart soared. When you get told that you have a good voice by a famous, professional singer, that's a compliment and a half. He had pretty much told her that she could do a duet with him, and she started to turn into her fangirl self. “You really think so?” she asked before she could think. “Because that would be totally awesome and I...” when she noticed that her act was slipping, she laughed and shook her head. “I mean... Good thing no professional singers are here to spot my amateur talent.”

He chuckled, now fully aware that she knew who he was. He noticed her slip, but he was thankful that she hadn't freaked out and brought attention to everyone around. He looked down at his watch and noticed the time. He had to get back to the hotel soon, but he didn't want his time with Buffy to end. “Buffy, I have to be gettin' back, now. Want to take a walk with me?” he asked, hoping that she would say yes, also knowing that she would.

Buffy nodded and got up, taking the last mouthful of her drink before throwing it out. “Yeah, I have to get back to the school anyway. I was going to skip the rest of the day to spite my mom, but I was extremely bored all by my lonesome.”

He laughed and walked to the door, holding it open for her. “Yeah, from what I remember, skipping class is only fun when you have a companion.”

She nodded and they walked out onto the sidewalk, both enjoying the other's company. “So, what are you going to do to try and go to that concert?” he asked, continuing their earlier conversation.

“I entered a contest behind my mother’s back,” she smiled mischievously and then scrunched up her nose. He thought it was the most adorable thing he had ever seen. “If I win, and I sincerely hope I do, I get to spend an hour with the band. I can easily say that I'm at my friend's house, and my mother would be none the wiser. I know it isn't the same as going to the concert, but to be able to spend time with them by myself would be just as awesome.”

“That's true. I'm sure they would love to spend an hour with you. If you had to pick one of the band members to spend that hour with, who would you choose?” he asked, hoping she would say his name.

“Another easy question. Spike, definitely.” She giggled as a proud smirk appeared on his lips. “He is just... awesome. He’s talented, unbelievably gorgeous and just all around amazing. Why do you ask, William?”

He chuckled, then shrugged. “No reason, just wonderin'. Would you like, totally date him if he asked you right now?” he asked, flipping a length of non-existent hair, and batting his eyelashes.

She laughed at his teasing, then gave him a gentle slap on the shoulder. “Thats for me to know, and for Spike to find out, silly.”

He laughed at their antics as they came to a stop in front of the hotel he was staying at. “Well, I will have to let Spike know that he should give you a call. If I ever meet him. Sound good?”

“Sounds great.”

“Well, I'll need your number first, won't I?”

“Oh! Right!” she said then started to dig in her purse for the second time that day. She pulled out a pen and an old gum wrapper and scribbled her name and phone number on it. “Here you go. Make sure that Spike gets it, if you ever meet him, 'kay?”

“Will do.” he said then turned to walk into the hotel. He got to the door and turned around to watch at Buffy's retreating back. “Oh, and Buffy?” he shouted to get her attention. When she turned around, he smiled sweetly and nodded his head once. “Thanks.”

Buffy smiled. “No problem.”

TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Now for some reviewy goodness?