Author's Chapter Notes:
A BIIIIIIIG Thank you goes to PaganBaby for her awesome beta skills! I lurve you, hon!
“The beach?” Spike asked, his eyebrows drawn together. “Why the beach?”


Buffy giggled. “What day is it?”


“Wednesday...”


“Right, a school and work day. What time of day is it?”


“In the morning”


“What are people most likely doing right now?”


Spike chuckled and took her hand in his. “Not being at the beach?”


She nodded her head once, hiding the blush that was currently staining her cheeks. “That's right. We have pretty much the whole beach to ourselves. Save for a couple of people.”


Spike looked around, noticing for the first time that there weren't many people in the vicinity. Probably significantly less than there would be at a park. The air was chilly and the water was probably cold. Spike felt his heart leap in his chest, knowing Buffy had picked this spot just for them. Not able to contain his joy, he turned towards her and picked her up, spinning her around in the air as he laughed heartily. He loved the smile that bloomed on her face, the sweet giggles she let out as they spun round and round. Finally, he put her down, pulling her into a hug.


He gently kissed her forehead, getting swept up in the emotion. He held her for a bit longer, loving the feel of her in his arms before he realized he might be taking it too fast with her. “Sorry,” he said, then cleared his throat. “I just haven't been to a beach in a while. Not by myself, anyway. Guess I can lose these, huh?” he asked, taking off his sunglasses. He wouldn't dare take off the hat, that was risking too much.


Buffy was still in the fangirl shock of being in his arms and being kissed by him (even if it was only on the forehead), but when she got her first look of his azure gaze, her breath caught in her throat. She had never seen his eyes so lit up with life, so open and trusting. Even though she'd only been able to see his eyes in pictures and posters, she had to say that they didn't do him justice. At all. “So blue,” she whispered in awe.


“What was that, luv?” he asked with a smile.


“Oh, nothing,” she laughed and shook her head. “I didn't bring any towels or anything, but do you want to go find somewhere to sit?”


He nodded and took her hand again, letting her lead the way to a secluded area.


They walked in silence for a bit until Buffy found a patch of sand near the water, close enough to hear the sound of the water but far enough so they wouldn't get wet.


Buffy smoothed her dress down so she could keep the sand out before she sat down. “So, what do you want to talk about, Spike?”


“Anything. Life. Your life,” he answered, looking off into the distance across the water. When he looked at her, he smiled. “How does Buffy spend her day?”


“Well,” she started, taking a deep breath. “I get up, shower, get ready for school, go to school, go home, eat dinner, do my homework, do whatever until I'm tired, then I go to bed. Boring, I know,” she sighed, feeling a little out of place. She knew Spike must lead a hell of an interesting life, and her life was so... blah.


“Come on,” he chuckled, nudging her with his shoulder. “There must be more to it than that. Not that you're boring, but there must be something else you do.”


“Nope, that's about it. Aside from that, I usually write songs if I'm inspired. Or I go to the Bronze with my friends. Other than that, I'm Boring Buffy.”


“You write songs?” he asked, arching an eyebrow.


“More like Saturday morning cartoons morning cartoon songs. They're not very good...”


"I highly doubt that. I'd love to have a look at one of your songs. Do you have any you'd like to show me?"


“I might. But I'm not showing you,” she laughed. “I'm too nervous to show anyone, really. I don't even think that my mother knows that I write. You're the only person I've told.”


“Do you think that maybe one day, you'll show me?” he inquired, subtly bringing up the future. He knew that it would be too early to bring up the future in any other relationship, but this wasn't a normal relationship. He had to know what she was looking for before he got too... before he got more involved with her. He would be leaving in another week.


“I don't know,” she replied, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly. She didn't catch the crestfallen look that passed over Spike's face.


“And why not?” he asked, keeping his tone playful despite feeling let down.


“Because,” she said, picking up a handful of sand and letting it slip through her fingers before looking at him. “You'll have to stick around for a bit to find out.”


Spike smiled, taking her hand in his again. “Be careful what you wish for, pet.”


They sat in a comfortable silence, both enjoying the other's company and both wondering what the other was thinking. Buffy was nervous. Spike had just told her that she should be careful what she wished for after she told him to stay in Sunnydale for a while. Did that mean he was going to? Was he going to put his band on hold just for little, boring her? She didn't feel like she should ask him for that, and she didn't think he should do it even if she did ask him to. Buffy knew from all the Q&A sessions that she had read on the iInternet that Spike's band meant the world to him. What in the frilly heck did he mean by 'be careful what you wish for'? He was an enigma and if he did stay in her town for a bit, she was going to take full advantage of the time to try and figure him out.


Spike, on the other hand, was elated. He didn't know how or why, but he was going to do everything in his power to be with this girl. He felt this connection with her that he couldn't put his finger on. He had been drawn to her since the first day he met her and now he wanted more. He wanted everything. He wanted her to be his. Spike couldn't believe how this girl made him feel. He was a big bad rockstar who had virtually seen and done it all, and yet she could make him feel carefree and his heart light. He hadn't felt this way in years.


The only problem was that they were from such different worlds. He'd heard her singing voice and just found out that she wrote her own songs. He could get her a record deal in 10 seconds flat, but he didn't want to push her into his world just because he wanted to be with her. Sure, it can be fun to be famous and the money was incredible too, but he wouldn't wish his world on her. Not for anything. The business had a tendency to change people (often for the worse), and he liked Buffy the way she was.


“Penny for your thoughts?” Buffy asked, bringing him out of his reverie.


“Huh?” he said, giving her hand a squeeze. “Sorry for zoning out there. Was just thinking about... stuff.”


“Again, I say, penny for your thoughts? Oh!” she exclaimed, letting go of his hand to dig through her purse. Finding what she was looking for, she held up a penny before pressing it into his hand. She smiled at him as he chuckled. “I said I'd give you a penny. Now, you give me your thoughts. Basic exchange.”


“You're bloody adorable, Buffy,” he told her, quickly leaning over to place a soft, chaste kiss on her lips.


There were sparks. They both felt it. It was the most amazing thing Spike had ever felt. It felt like someone had shuffled their sock-clad feet across the carpet and touched their joined lips, but in a pleasant way. When he pulled back, they looked at each other. Spike with a look of awe on his face and Buffy with a quizzical one on hers, mixed with nervousness and a hint of a smile.


“You kissed me,” she whispered.


“Yeah, that I did. Is that okay?” he asked, not really caring if she said no or not. Okay he did care, but it felt so right to him that nothing, except her rejection, would bring him down at that moment.


Buffy looked at him, her small smile slowly spreading into a big one. “Yeah,” she said then leaned in to kiss him again, both of them shivering at the contact. “I'm okay with that.”


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews?