Author's Chapter Notes:
It's a pain in the butt to split the chapter in two lol
"Buffy?"

She heard Spike's voice calling to her. It sounded far away at first, like part of a dream. His voice got louder, she felt a light touch on her cheek.

She opened her eyes to see Spike looking at her. He looked concerned, but then a little smile lifted the corners of his mouth.

"Gave me a scare there for a second, Slayer."

"Spike... is it over? Is she dead? Please tell me it wasn't a dream..." Buffy lifted her head and looked around.

They were outside the shack, she was laying on the bench. Crickets were beginning their nightly chirping, fireflies flew lazily around the yard, the moon was starting its climb across the sky.

"It is over, she didn't manage to escape from the oven. We did it. Can hardly believe it either, but we're finally free."

She reached out and touched his face, though he'd wiped off most of it, there was still a bit of her blood smeared around his mouth. "All of it really happened... Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Great, in fact." Spike put his hand over hers and gave the inside of her wrist a small kiss. "Let's go back into the house and get your arm bandaged up proper." Spike helped her sit up, but Buffy was reluctant to stand.

"I don't want to go back in there." She tugged him down with her.

He sat next to her, putting his arm around her shoulders. "I know, that place is unsettling for me too. But she won't be there to bother us anymore, there's nothing for us to fear now. And it's the best place for us to plan what we should do next."

"Can we stay here for a minute?"

"Whatever you want, luv. I had a look at your wrist while you were dozing. The bleeding's slowed, but I want to have a better look at it soon, alright? It's important to stop the bleeding." Spike made sure the towel was wrapped around her arm as well as possible. "Want to make sure you don't... bleed to death or go into shock."

She nodded and snuggled against Spike. There had been so little physical contact during their captivity, even little things like having his arm around her felt glorious. "You're not tempted because I'm bleeding? Don't want to have a suck?"

"It's tempting. You have no idea how delicious you are. But I won't have any trouble controlling myself, no worries."

Buffy wasn't worried at all, she trusted Spike. She laid her head on his shoulder, looking up at the stars. She still felt weak and tired, but there was a definite boost to her spirits. She was just so happy and relieved that their days as prisoners were at an end. "Didn't Anya say a portal would open up when we completed the quest?"

"Yeah, she did... Anya wasn't positive about some of the Unari info, it was shit she'd heard 2nd and 3rd hand. I don't see anything portal-like around here."

"Dammit... What if we did something wrong or we didn't do it exactly right?" Buffy fretted. "What if we're trapped here? What the fuck do the Unari want from us?"

Spike hugged her tighter for a moment, then rubbed her shoulder soothingly. "We'll suss it out once we're inside the house. Maybe there's some kind of sign telling us what we need to do to... advance, or whatever the hell you want to call it."

Buffy was still nervous about going back in the house. All the horror movies she'd seen told her that a nasty surprise would be waiting for them. She ran her right hand over Spike's chest, noticing that the injuries he'd suffered at the hands of the witch seemed to have completely healed. The scratches on his handsome face were gone too, as if they hadn't been there just a few minutes ago. He had gotten thinner (as had she) during their imprisonment, but it looked like he'd filled out a bit already -- was that possible? The speediness of his healing had to be due to drinking her blood. Without thinking about doing it, Buffy snuggled closer and closer to him, until Spike just pulled her onto his lap.

"I'm so tired," Buffy yawned, feeling perfectly safe being enfolded in his arms with his strong body supporting her.

Spike held her protectively. "You'll need some food and a nap... then you'll be okay." He hoped that was all it would take. If he lost Buffy now...

It felt so good and right to hold and be held by each other, they took comfort and strength from the embrace. Spike wanted to make a comment about her sitting on his lap, but he bit his tongue. He was afraid to remind her that she shouldn't be letting him hold her like this, that she might revert back to her old attitude about him now that they were free.

"I can't believe you were able to bust out of the cage. And didn't you get shocked when you kicked the witch into the oven? That was awesome, by the way," Buffy finished with a sleepy smile.

Spike grinned. "After you gave me your blood, I fancied I heard the Popeye music. If I'd had a pipe in my mouth it would've been spinnin' 'round." They laughed at that image. "I did get a shock when I kicked her, but thanks to having a power snack from you, I hardly felt it. Same effect as if I got punched by a big, ham-fisted bloke, jarring but not incapacitating."

Buffy raised her head and looked at him, blinking owlishly. "Shit... You mean... if you would've drank my blood that first night she ordered you to take it, we might have escaped way back then?"

Spike made a sound somewhere between a groan and a growl. He felt like an idiot. "Bloody hell... Can we pretend that's not true, please? Just the thought of that being true makes me want to heave. I'm such a fucking moron..."

Buffy stroked his now unmarred cheek. "But... the fact that you refused to hurt me that day showed me how you're changing, that I could trust you. And we got... closer after that. So... I guess I can't be totally depressed thinking that we missed an early chance to get away."

"Looking at the glass as half full, eh?" Spike asked, cocking an eyebrow. "I'd still want to kick my ass if I were you. Hell, I want to kick my own ass." He took a breath and looked up at the stars. "The first time in a long time I'm determined to do the right thing, and it ends up being the wrong choice... Even when I try to do right, I'm wrong."

Buffy rubbed her cheek against his shoulder. "Well, I appreciate what you were trying to do and why. I was totally blown away when you did that. And there will be no more kickings of your ass. I think we both got enough abuse to last a lifetime." Buffy sighed. "I'm sorry, Spike."

He frowned. "Sorry? 'Bout what?"

"For lots of things. But right now mainly because I wish I could've helped you in there with the witch, not that you needed it... I just got thrown against a wall and laid on the floor while you did all the work."

"Are you joking? Buffy, you did your part by cutting yourself open and making me drink from you. We wouldn't be sitting here and chatting right now if you hadn't done that. I know how... disgusting that must've been for you."

"It wasn't, really... It was the only thing I could think about. I had to make you take it." It hadn't grossed her out at all, it had even felt a bit erotic having his mouth on her, his tongue lapping up her precious fluid. Under different circumstances...

"I'll never forget you did that for me, Buffy... Turns out you saved both our hides by doing something you never would've considered doing back in Sunnydale." He felt Buffy shiver, then he rubbed her back. "I can't recall, did you say how you got all wet?"

"That's how she woke me up, by throwing a bucket of cold water on me... Bitch. May she burn in Hell. Right after she took you away last night, I was going to get that shackle off of my leg by breaking some bones, and then try to get out here to help you. But she'd put sleeping potion in my water... I passed out."

"Well, I'm glad you didn't get a chance to break your foot to try and rescue me. It all worked out. Hey, your teeth are chattering, you're gonna catch a cold or something. Let's go in the house now, alright?"

Buffy sighed, but nodded. She couldn't put it off all night, might as well go in now.

Spike stood, then scooped her up in his arms.

She smiled at him. "I think I can walk."

"Uh-uh. You're still weak. 'Sides, carrying you makes me feel all strong and manly."

"Oh okay, since it makes you feel manly and everything. It's kind of nice to get carried around. Walking is for suckers." She rested her head against him as he carried her away from the awful shack. With any luck, they'd never have to see that place again. Maybe just in their nightmares.

Buffy's eyes widened when she felt something hard poking her hip. "Um, Spike, what's that hard thing poking me?"

"That means I like you."

"God, Spike!" Buffy blushed and swatted his arm. "How can you think about --"

Spike laughed. "It's just the wand."

"You call it... 'the wand'?"

He laughed again. "You've got a dirty li'l mind, Slayer. It's the wand -- the one that the witch zapped us with. She must've dropped it when she went into the oven. I tucked into my shorts to have my hands free to carry you. Never know, we might need it for something."

"Oh... guess I'm not thinking straight. My mind went to the naughty place, and you didn't help with that comment... It's not cool to mess with someone's mind who's sleepy and weak."

"Sorry, luv. I'm just feelin' full of piss and vinegar. Feel like I could take on the whole bloody world, thanks to you." He slowed down as they passed the pig sty. Buffy's blood had him flying high at the moment, but he was still very hungry.

"Is something wrong?" Buffy asked when she noticed his walk had slowed.

"Uh, no. Just thinking about my next meal."

Then she noticed where they were, at the pigpen. "Oh. If you need to eat, we can stop here and --"

"I don't think you need to watch me kill cute little Porky right in front of you. My needs can wait, yours can't." Spike resumed walking to the house.

Buffy relaxed in his strong arms again. "I never knew you had such a selfless side to you... All heroic and brave, sweet and sensitive."

"Don't make me sound like a poof," he joked. Actually, it bolstered him quite a lot to have her talking about him like that. She believed in him and his ability to be a good man, and that meant the world to Spike. It made him believe in himself; it made him want to be a good man, like he had been once upon a time. He thought, 'Bloody hell, I can't stop the poofy thoughts. I really wish I could kick my own ass.'

Buffy snorted and smiled. She had seen him be self-sacrificing in the past for Drusilla. But Buffy didn't want to bring up Dru's name -- it bothered her to think of him being devoted to that loony, or anyone else. 'Spike's mine,' she thought possessively, holding him tight.






When they got to the front door Spike set Buffy down on her feet.

"Let me go in first and check for any surprises." He started inside, but Buffy put a hand on his arm.

"No, I'm going in with you."

"Buffy, it's best if..." One look at her determined face made Spike roll his eyes and sigh. There was no talking her out of something once she'd made up her mind. "Fine, but let me take the lead." He handed her the witch's wand, "Maybe you can zap something if you have to."

Buffy nodded. Even if she wasn't able to zap anyone magically, she could still use the wand to stab, if necessary. She knew she should have just waited outside for him, she really wasn't in any condition to fight anything that might jump out at them. But they were a team, and she wasn't about to let Spike face possible danger without her again. If anything happened to him...

Spike cautiously went into the gingerbread house with Buffy following. The main room seemed safe. Spike held up his hand, silently asking her to stay where she was, then went into the bedroom. Buffy didn't argue for once. She stayed in the main room by the hearth, waiting and hoping nothing bad would happen.

Spike came back out less than a minute later. "Looks like all's clear. Not a creature is stirring."

Buffy closed her eyes and let out a relieved breath.

The next thing she knew, Spike was holding her around the waist with one arm, tapping her face with his right hand and looking worried.

"Buffy? Buffy?"

"Wh-What?" She was so sleepy.

"You fainted. I caught you before you hit the floor."

"I fainted?"

"You'll be alright... Let's get you nice and comfy."

Spike took her to the rocking chair and sat her down. He tried not to be afraid that he might still lose her. He was good at this kind of thing though. From all his years taking care of his mother and then Dru, Spike knew how to nurse someone back to health. He just had to get back into that nurturing state of mind.

First, he got a quilt from the witch's bedroom and covered Buffy with it. Next, he took a clean mug and filled it with water for her. He took a test drink to make sure it wasn't poisoned or drugged. Then, after taking a bite out of a big snickerdoodle cookie (making sure there was nothing wrong with it either), he placed the cookie on her lap.

"You relax, drink the water and nibble the cookie while I bandage your arm, alright?" Spike asked, wanting to keep her talking.

"Yeah, okay," Buffy said drowsily.

Spike got everything he'd need to clean and bandage her wrist and sat cross-legged on the floor at her feet.

Buffy finished her mug of water as Spike washed and cleaned her wound. Her Slayer healing abilities were doing a remarkably good job, blood was only seeping from the wound, not pouring out as it would be if she were a regular Human. Spike hadn't bitten into her when he'd fed, his fangs had only scratched the skin surrounding the cut she'd made. He'd managed to be gentle even though he'd been ravenous at the time, not going into a feeding frenzy as he'd assumed he would.

Her eyebrows went up when she felt his tongue gently lapping at the cut.

He looked up at her, then stopped. "Uh, I should explain. I'm not taking advantage and sneaking another taste. Licking a wound helps it heal much faster. That's why I was doing it. Like when I... licked your finger after you got that splinter."

"Oh yeah... I remember it felt a lot better after that." She remembered how hot it was too. How she'd been ready to shove her tongue down his throat before they'd been rudely interrupted. "That seems weird... Why would Vampires want to help a wound heal?"

"I don't know how or why everything works the way it does. Biting can be something done between friends or... lovers, we have the ability to heal the marks we make."

"Hmm, interesting. Okay, you can keep... licking me."

It wasn't easy for Spike to let that go without making a suggestive comment, but he managed. Giving Buffy only a slight smirk before continuing to lick her wrist.

Buffy had another cup of water while Spike's tongue stroked her skin. Not only were his licks helping her to heal faster, it seemed to act as an anesthetic too. The burning and stinging that she'd felt were greatly reduced, there was hardly any pain whatsoever anymore. The fact that he was licking her had another kind of effect, one that brought a blush to her pale face. 'Oh God, that feels so good... I have to concentrate on drinking and eating, not on his tongue and lips. Wow, I never knew I was such a horny bitch. I almost died tonight, I'm hungry and tired, but all I can think about is having Spike do naughty things to me... Look at him... he's so hot. Licking me like some big, gorgeous, sexy man-cat... Man-cat? Damn, my brain is really fried. I need to recuperate.' Buffy tried to stop the thought that kept pushing its way to the forefront of her mind: 'I want to feel his tongue on my pussy.' She did her best to ignore the tingling between her legs. Each swipe of his tongue made her clit throb.

Just when she thought she'd have to lift her skirt and beg him to give her a thorough tonguing, Spike finished licking her wrist. Then he quickly and skillfully bandaged her arm.

She thought, 'Shit, thought I was going to slip into another one of those vivid, oh-so-steamy fantasies... Kinda wish I had...' Fantasy Spike could satisfy her so well -- but it was probably nothing compared to the real thing. Buffy drank another cup of cool water, she felt so hot.

Spike stood up and brushed off the seat of his pants. "Right, that's taken care of. Now I think you'd better get out of those wet clothes," he said seriously, honestly not saying it for his own future viewing pleasure.

Buffy raised her eyebrows, a coy smile on her lips. She was trying to be cool, but the idea of being naked in front of him -- with no evil people to worry about or to interrupt them -- got her heart racing. "Oh, you do, huh?"

Spike swallowed and fidgeted when he realized she might think he was being less than gentlemanly. "What? It's true! S'not just me wanting to -- I mean, I wasn't saying it because I want to be pervy and gawk at you in your knickers... You'll catch pneumonia if you wear wet clothes."

"What do you suggest I put on? I ain't wearing her clothes, and I don't think being naked will improve my chances of not getting sick..." As much as she wanted Spike at this moment, she was just too weak to really consider having naked fun. She'd probably fall asleep during... whatever they ended up doing. And that would be very unfortunate. And, oh yeah, and she still kind of had a boyfriend back home too... Was getting easier to forget that. Right now, Sunnydale seemed like it was a lifetime and a million miles away.

"Y-Your dress, the one the Unari put you in, should be around here somewhere. I'll check the bedroom." Spike didn't want to dwell on the thought of her being naked. He had to take care of Buffy and make sure she recovered, not think about how much he desired her.

Spike hurried into the bedroom and began searching for Buffy's original clothes. He'd been aware that Buffy had been getting aroused when he was licking her -- but that was only an involuntary reaction that her body had had to his actions, he told himself. It had taken every ounce of self-control he possessed not to kiss and lick his way to other parts of her body. Only repeating to himself that Buffy needed his help to recover had kept his libido at bay, he didn't want her thinking he was taking advantage of a bad situation to sate his own desires.

He found the clothes he was searching for in a drawer. He'd also found that book Buffy had discovered days ago, the one labeled 'Magick'. They might be able to figure out how to open it now. When he turned around Buffy was standing in the doorway.

"Hey, who said you could stand up?" Spike asked. "You're supposed to be --"

"I feel a little better. I thought I could help you look."

He growled, but smiled a little. "I swear, you are the most stubborn woman in the bloody world."

Buffy shrugged, then saw that he was holding the clothes. "Oh, you found the dress?"

"Yeah, here," Spike held them out for her. "You can change in here, I'll... wait out in the other room. I got the book too," he raised and shook the book.

She took the clothes from him with a grateful smile. "What would we need anything in the book for now?"

"Never know, there might be something useful. Maybe some kind of spell we have to do to open the portal."

"That's true, good idea. I'm glad one of us is thinking."

"You want to curl up on the bed to get some sleep?" Spike asked, gesturing to the witch's bed.

"Uh-uh," Buffy shook her head, looking at the bed warily. "No way could I sleep in her bed."

"Right. Doubt I could either... Come back out into the living room when you're... when you're decent, then."

Both of them hesitated for a moment. They were both craving the same thing: intimacy. Buffy waited for him to make the first move. She held her breath when Spike raised his hand to her touch her -- but he only gave her an awkward pat on the arm, then left the bedroom and closed the door.

"I must look like total crap if Spike doesn't even want to try kissing me..." She pouted. Not that she felt physically strong enough to furiously make out with him, but one kiss would've been nice.

Her desire for him hadn't diminished, she still wanted to ravish and be ravished -- once she was well-rested. Buffy chose not to think of how everything would change once she got back to Sunnydale with Dawn and Spike. So much drama and unpleasantness was in her near future, it made her sick to think about it. What would her friends say about her having feelings for Spike? What would Riley say? Oh, poor, sweet Riley... But that was if she felt the same way about Spike when they got out of the crazy fairy tale world -- their lust for each other could just be the Unari planting thoughts and feelings in their minds for some twisted reason... That was a very disturbing notion.

'I'll make myself go insane if I don't stop thinking about that shit. I'll worry about all of it later. I have to eat and rest to build my strength back up, then try to find that frickin' portal.'

Focusing on the here and now was best. Right now, it was just her and Spike against the world and she could have as many squishy feelings about him as she wanted without unpleasant consequences.

Buffy changed into the dry clothes. Then she checked herself in a large, opulent mirror hanging on the wall above the bureau. She didn't look too bad considering what she'd been through. A little skinnier than she'd like, her face a little too pale and drawn, but not as bad as she thought she'd look. When she'd been ordered to polish the mirror by the witch days ago, Buffy had wondered why a scary-looking witch would have such a lovely, big mirror. Clearly the witch hadn't been overly concerned with primping and hygiene, so why the mirror? It was just another weird thing in this weird-ass dimension.

Buffy came out into the main room a few minutes later. She'd taken her long golden hair down, but was too tired to try doing anything with it.

Spike smiled, then did a double-take, looking amazed.

"What?" Buffy turned her head and asked, thinking that he had to be looking at something behind her.

He blinked then ducked his head, rubbing at the back of his neck. "Nothing. It's just... you look so beautiful. Like a princess."

Buffy smiled and looked down shyly. "Yeah, right. I look like crap, I know because I looked in the mirror while I was in there. I think you must be lightheaded."

"I don't care what you say, you look radiant." Spike went to her and helped her to the rocking chair. "I couldn't open that sodding magick book, didn't find any keys. I'll try again in a bit." He covered her back up with the quilt. He had freshened the water in the bucket, and piled some pastries and candies he thought Buffy would especially like near the chair. He'd moved the chair and table closer to the fire so Buffy would get warmed up faster. "There now, you eat and drink -- slowly though, don't want to get sick -- and rest."

"Thanks," Buffy said, getting cozy under the quilt. She noticed a steaming bowl of chicken soup on the table beside her.

"Go ahead, I tried it, it's good. Not poisoned or drugged. Probably better for your empty stomach than filling up on only cookies and sweets."

"When did you become my official food taster? I don't want you getting poisoned or anything either." She picked up the bowl of soup and stirred the spoon around to help cool it down faster.

"Odds are it wouldn't kill me."

"You may be a big, strong, manly Vampire, but you're not invincible. It's sweet of you to take care of me like this. You're pretty good at it."

"Yeah, well... I don't mind. You would've done the same for me, right?"

"That's right, I would have," Buffy said without pause. "You know, you really did save the day. I'm glad I didn't lose consciousness, I got to see you literally kick her evil ass."

"Well, you save the day on a regular basis. Thought I'd give it a whirl."

"How does it feel?"

"Not bad. I could get used to it." The best thing about it was the way she smiled at him, how proud and impressed she seemed to be with him. But Spike didn't say that, he felt he was already talking, thinking, and behaving too nancy boy-like. He didn't want her to think he was going soft. Buffy just had a way of making him feel all gooey inside. "I was saving my own ass too, that doesn't really qualify as heroic."

"Don't downplay it, Spike. When you save someone else in the process of saving yourself, it does qualify as heroic." She blew on a spoonful of soup, then ate it. "Mmm, soup's good. I was thinking that it'll be nice to hear you sing when you don't have to worry about a certain evil bitch overhearing... Oh, but I guess you don't have to sing anymore, huh?" Buffy's bottom lip jutted out.

"I'll sing like a bird for you anytime you want in the future," Spike replied, smiling. "I'd like to go into a chorus of 'We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions', but not right now. Got some important matters to attend to first."

Then Spike put a hand to his forehead, closing his eyes and swaying a bit. He held onto the edge of the table to get his balance.

Buffy sat up straight. "Spike? What's wrong?"

"Whoa, I'm starting to crash..."

"Crash?"

"I'm just comin' down from the high I got from your blood. I'll be back in a bit, you try to relax." When he was sure the dizziness had passed, he walked to the front door.

"Where are you going? Don't go."

"I got to eat... remember?"

"Oh, right... I forgot." Buffy sank back into the chair. She didn't want to be alone in the house, and she didn't want to be apart from Spike. But she understood he needed to eat. "I'm sorry, I'm getting all clingy and weird."

Spike chuckled. "You just need some rest, then you'll be back to yourself again."

"I need to get the fuck out of this crazy dimension, that's what I need."

"I'm just as eager to be on our way. We'll be movin' on soon, luv. And just for future reference, I like you clinging to me." Spike winked, then went out the front door.

Buffy sighed, watching his butt as he walked away. "Okay, he's making with the innuendo so he's still interested. Maybe I can get that kiss when he comes back..."

Hopefully he wouldn't be all bloody. It was okay (and even kind of oddly hot) when it was just her blood on his lips. But him being covered in pig blood like Carrie on prom night = not hot.


Chapter End Notes:
Ding-dong, the witch is dead! heehee