Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally getting to the Spuffy part :D
Buffy woke up smiling, automatically snuggling against Spike's hard body. She couldn't see very well, but there was enough dim light for her to observe that he was sleeping. She was laying against his side, her arm across his chest and a leg draped over one of his. She smiled some more and rubbed her cheek lightly against his chest.

She felt so good. Her body and mind had never felt more satisfied and relaxed after a session of lovemaking. She wished for a few days alone in a nice big bed with Spike, and a refrigerator full of sports drinks. More time and less sleepiness would be good. It made Buffy tingle to imagine all the things they could do with each other given more time and energy.

It was an immense relief to discover that it hadn't been another vivid dream. Both of them had had a bit of fear that they'd wake up only to find that it hadn't really happened. But it was, without question, real this time.

Buffy had no idea how long she'd slept, but she felt great, like she'd had a full eight hours or more. That couldn't be, though, because it would be morning now if that were the case. The Unari were probably playing around with their recovery time. Whatever. She was just glad that she was feeling good and curled up with her man.

'My man... That's what he is now. How weird is that?' Buffy thought with a small smile. Before they had gone on the 'Quest for Dawn', Buffy never imagined she'd ever be laying naked with Spike after the lovin', feeling all glowy and happy. But here she was. And she was in love with him. Life was strange -- her life certainly was, anyway.

She sighed in contentment and gently caressed Spike's smooth chest. She'd had sex -- amazing, fantastical, splendiferous sex -- with Spike. It was how she had always dreamed sex could be. It wasn't just the intense, incredible orgasms (though those helped!) that made it the best experience of her life. She remembered the way they'd talked and laughed while they'd made love, being at ease and comfortable enough with each other to act silly as well as share their profound feelings. Everything had felt so very right -- it was perfect.

The happiness she felt because of Spike and their new relationship was still so fresh and all-encompassing, it was easy for her to push away the worries and fears for the moment. Happy Buffy was in firm control right now, and she wasn't going to let any bad shit in to dampen her euphoria.

Buffy gave Spike's chest a soft kiss, and then, as quietly as she could, got up and slipped her dress back on. She peered over the edge of the hayloft to see if there was anyone down there, but it was just the animals.

"No homicidal farmers... so far. Still think those goats and chickens are up to no good..."

Buffy lit the lantern and took it with her down the ladder. She explored the barn a bit, giving the animals a wide berth. She was surprised, but grateful, to find a water closet like the one back at the gingerbread house. After she used the facilities, she went to the big window on the side of the barn. She had known it was still raining (she could hear the rain hitting the building), but she'd hoped that it would show some signs of slowing down.

Buffy sighed as she looked out the window. The rain was still pouring, lightning flashed and thunder still crashed. Would this stupid storm ever go away? How much longer were they going to be trapped in here?

Her eyes moved to the hayloft, and a naughty smile formed on her lips. 'Spike and I can entertain ourselves while we wait for the storm to end. Make the best of a bad situation -- that's what I always say! Actually, I don't think I've ever said that before... but I'll start saying it now.'

She hurried back up the ladder. Spike was still fast asleep. She didn't want to wake him, he'd been through so much too and deserved as much rest as he could get. He looked so adorable and sexy in his sleep. His eyelashes were so dark, pretty and thick. Why did some men get such lush eyelashes? Wasn't fair.

'Okay, I'm not going to be an insensitive jerk and wake him up just so I can have my way with him again. I'm not an animal.' She wasn't so sure about that. Looking at Spike and thinking about their sweaty bodies pressed together again was making her feel all hot, squirmy and growly, more animal-like. 'I can control myself. Just cuddling is nice, too.'

Buffy left the lantern lit and set it on a bale of hay (in case she got bored and got the urge to make some shadow animals on the wall), and then took her dress off again. She carefully got back under the blanket with Spike and snuggled against his side like the way she was when she'd woken up.

It was nice just to cuddle him, to feel his skin against hers. Buffy ran her hand over his chest and stomach, trying to be delicate so she wouldn't wake him, but she had the irresistible need to touch his beautiful, powerful, muscular body.






Spike stirred, waking up slowly as Buffy was making herself cozy against him again. A smile played on his lips as his very satisfied body sent the 'I had an epic shag before I went to sleep' signals to his brain. His smile expanded when the memories of making love with Buffy flashed through his mind. He felt Buffy's warm body pressed against his side and her hand on his chest. It had really happened; it wasn't another dream or fantasy. And it had transcended any previous shag he'd ever had. Buffy was the perfect woman for him, there wasn't any doubt about it. She was his destiny.

Yes, he'd been positive that Drusilla was his destiny once upon a time, but that was then and this is now. Time had proven him wrong about Dru. She was a part of his destiny, but not the one he was meant to be with. She had created him and made him her companion for over 100 years, which had ultimately led him to Sunnydale and Buffy. He still had anger and resentment towards Dru for the way she'd cast him aside, but he was grateful to her for guiding him (albeit unwittingly) to his true destiny -- Buffy.

Spike hadn't opened his eyes yet, he was content to bask in his happiness and the warmth of her body. The aroma of their lovemaking lingered in the air and on their skin, tickling his nose and arousing him.

But then a few troubling thoughts snuck their way into his mind. What if Buffy changed her mind about wanting him? What if she regretted being with him now that the deed was done?

His eyes finally opened, he needed to see her face. Buffy was smiling back at him, which made Spike's smile spread across his face. Hers wasn't a smile of someone who regretted what had happened, it was one of a happy and satisfied woman.

"Hi there," Buffy said, kissing him lightly.

"Hello, cutie."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"S'alright, pet." He took a deep breath and stretched his muscles. "Can't think of a better way to wake up," he said, and kissed her lips softly. Then he pulled back and cocked an eyebrow. "Well... there are a few better ways to be woken up... also involving you."

Buffy smiled and bit her lower lip, imagining herself being so bold as to mount him or suck his dick while he was still asleep. That idea appealed to her and she was sorry she hadn't tried waking him up in a highly naughty way. Well, there was always next time.

"I didn't intend to wake you up, I wanted to let you sleep as long as you wanted since we're stuck here, anyway. Though, I have to admit... doing something naughty did cross my mind. If I did one of those things, I'm thinking it would've woken you up."

"Eventually." Spike put his left arm around her, holding her closer. "You know I was joking, don't you? Waking up with you next to me is all I need."

"I know." They kissed again, not seeming able to get enough of each other's lips. "Though you wouldn't object if I woke you up another way..."

"That would be a bonus." He poked his tongue out.

They smiled and continued to just lightly hold each other a while longer.

"So... still love me?" Spike asked.

"Mmmhmm." Buffy kissed him sweetly to reassure him. "You thought the mind-blowing sex would make me not love you anymore?"

"Just checking."

"And you didn't turn into an evil bastard in your sleep?" She was just teasing, of course, though that fear had been at the back of her mind.

Spike kissed her forehead and held her tighter for a moment. "How could I be anything other than blissfully happy? I woke up with you in my arms, I'm on top of the bloody world."

Buffy smiled. "Just checking."

Spike looked up at the ceiling, hearing the sound of the rain dashing against the roof of the barn. "Still raining, eh?"

"Yep. I peeked out the window downstairs. I think we're going to have to build an ark."

Spike nodded his head toward the lower level of the barn. "Don't know if we have two of every animal down there, but it's a start." He didn't see any light peeking in through the walls or ceiling. "It's still dark outside?"

"Yep."

He frowned. "I feel like I've had a full night's sleep. That can't be."

"It be. I feel rested, too. I don't know how it's possible either. I guess it's the Unari playing around with our recovery speed and time again."

Spike growled, his body tensing slightly. "I don't care if what they do does help us in some way -- they should leave us the bloody hell alone. We've done just fine on our own, survival-wise, before we came to this dimension. We're survivors who don't need or want any extra help from the likes of them."

Buffy stroked his chest soothingly. They were both wondering if, and how much, the Unari were tampering with their minds and emotions. But they didn't voice those concerns. Not yet -- not while they were still on a high. Neither of them would permit unpleasant possibilities back in quite yet.

"What time does your spidey sense tell you it is?" she asked.

He concentrated for a moment, his frown deepening. "Same as last time I checked -- 'bout midnight."

"Well, I guess that's good. It gives us more time 'til sunrise to wait out the storm. We need to get to that stupid portal."

Buffy gasped, and then smiled when Spike was suddenly on top of her, looking down on her with a devilish grin.

He held himself above her. His voice was deep and roughened. "I just want to stay right here and make love to you for days. Part of me says sod the portal."

"Mmmm, I think I know which part you're referring to." Buffy wrapped her hand around his hardening shaft. "Days, huh? I don't know if I'd survive, but it's a much better way to go than what we faced before."

"You'd survive. Just might be walkin' a little funny." Spike lowered his body to hers and playfully bit the side of her neck as he settled his hips between her thighs.

Buffy let go of his cock, and put her arms around him. She ran her hands ran up his back while her heart hammered in her chest and her pussy tingled in anticipation of what they were about to do. Buffy grinned and tilted her head back as he kissed and softly sucked at her neck. "Oh, we really shouldn't be... indulging ourselves. We should get dressed to be ready to get back on the road as soon as the rain stops."

"I'm gonna indulge the hell out of you," Spike rumbled while nibbling at her neck. He understood Buffy a little better in some ways. He noticed that she liked to put up a token resistance to being bad and she said things just so he could 'talk her into it'. Of course, there were times when she meant no, too -- he had to be careful not to confuse being playful and being serious. Being Buffy's man wasn't going to be easy, but Spike was positive that he was man enough for the job, and the benefits outweighed any drawbacks. Buffy had a naughty streak laying just under the surface, but she tried to be such a good girl all the time. It gave Spike an extra thrill that this pure, lionhearted girl wanted to be bad with him.

"Mmmmm, yes, Spike. Indulge me. Indulge my brains out," she breathed, arching her body into his.

But then Spike stopped and raised his head, looking to the side. "Hold on -- I think it's over."

Buffy's fevered brain thought he meant he'd finished already. That unfortunate occurrence did happen to guys sometimes. She was disappointed, but didn't want to hurt his feelings. "Oh... it's okay, baby. We can try again in a little while." She kissed his neck and caressed his sides. "You were really excited, huh?" She looked between their bodies, wondering why she hadn't felt him cumming on her skin.

Spike smirked, thinking again how adorable she was. "I was talking about the storm outside. I don't hear the rain anymore."

Buffy listened. She didn't hear the pitter-pat of the rain on the roof either. "Oh, that's... good. I guess we should... get dressed."

"Yeah... dressed."

They didn't move; they were reluctant to part from the warmth and comfort of each other's body. Their bodies were still primed and thrumming with desire.

"You do drive me wild, Buffy, but I don’t prematurely blow my wad like some spotty teenager."

A blush further reddened her already passion-flushed face. "I misunderstood."

Spike kissed her rosy cheeks. "Rest assured, milady always comes first. It was considerate of you to try and make me feel better 'bout it though. Good to know I can count on my girl to boost my spirits."

She giggled. "I didn't want to hurt your feelings. I tried to take it as a compliment."

He gave her lips a kiss and then began to move off of her. Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck. It was important to get to the portal as soon as they could, but her sex-hungry body wasn't going to let her do anything until it got what it wanted first.

Buffy batted her eyes at him. "We don't have to... rush off. The rain might start again in a minute, we should wait and see."

Spike smiled and settled against her again. He had only stopped because he thought she'd be upset if they didn't leave right away, and he didn't want to try her patience. Just like hers, his body was also adamant that it get what it wanted. "If you insist."

"I'm afraid I must insist." She smiled and relaxed the grip her arms and legs had on him now that she was sure he wasn't going anywhere.

Spike's left hand moved between her legs, his fingers stroked and pressed into her slit. "Mmmm, so wet for me already, pet."

Buffy's eyes closed at the feel of his hand on her nether lips. "I was thinking about coming back up here and jumping you. Maybe I subconsciously wanted you to wake up... I'm sorry if that's what I did." She let out a little gasp when his fingers rubbed her clit. "No, I take that back -- I'm not sorry," she said with a breathy laugh.

Spike's fingers continued their gentle assault, getting her pussy wetter and wetter. "I think you can guess which I would choose given the options of sleep or sex. Don't hesitate to wake me up and ravish me, or wake me up while ravishing me, if you've got an itch. I always want you. I’m always hard for you, Buffy."

Buffy didn’t think she'd ever really be insensitive enough to wake him just so she could ravish him, but who knows -- she might get just that horny and mischievous sometime. "I don't think we should do everything this time. Ohh that feels so good," she moaned. "W-We really do need to get going soon." She really wanted some more of his excellent oral skills, but her pussy was demanding to be filled with his cock.

"You want a quickie, then? I'd prefer a longie, but... Alright, lady's choice: How do you want it, pet? What's your pleasure?"

Buffy rubbed his back with her hands and his hips with her thighs. "Like this. I want you like this." She arched her back as Spike slid two fingers into her hole. "I want you now, Spike! I'm ready!"

"You certainly are." Her pussy was so hot and wet for him, her muscles gripped and pulled at his fingers. His cock twitched, craving to take his fingers' place immediately. He withdrew his fingers, giving her clit another firm rub. He thrust his tongue into her mouth at the same instant he thrust his cock into her hole.

Buffy moaned into Spike's mouth as he entered her. Her tongue wound around his. All was right with the world when he was inside of her and loving her; time seemed to standstill, and the only thing that was real or mattered was the pleasure they gave each other.

They moved together slowly -- for how long, they couldn't say -- savoring every moment. During that time, delicious mini-quakes rocked Buffy's body. Then she felt the biggest 'O' building up in her loins.

Buffy moaned and met his thrusts. She never knew a cock could feel so glorious inside of her. Every movement of his slim hips, every sawing motion of his cock as it moved in and out of her passage, sent ripples of pleasure throughout her body. She didn't know how she could remember anything at the moment, but she recalled something earlier he'd said in a joking way -- she suspected he might not have been totally kidding, so she moaned, "Ohh Spike, you're the Big Bad! The Big Bad!"

Spike stopped moving for a second, his already highly aroused mind and body got an extra jolt of passion. He didn't care if she was only trying to be funny -- it was bloody hot! He growled and adjusted his position, and then started pounding away at her.

Buffy squealed and gasped, holding onto him while he fucked her hard and fast. She definitely would be calling him that again in the future if it got this kind of result! She brought her knees up to her chest, tilting her pelvis up to allow him to go deeper. She felt that big orgasm begin to crash over her. "Yes! Ohhh God! I'm cumming! Cum with me, Spike!"

One more push was all it took for Spike to hurdle over the edge with Buffy. He drove into her to the hilt, tensed, threw his head back and gave a primal shout as he started shooting his load deep within her.

Then they both felt that extraordinary feeling again -- the one Buffy had described as bubbles of joy bursting. Their hips bucked and shook as they came together. Grunts and moans of bliss erupted from their mouths. Spike collapsed against Buffy's chest, unable to support himself any longer. Buffy wrapped her arms around him, holding him to her bosom. They cried out and held each other, their lower bodies repeatedly lurched together until completion.

"Wow..." was all Buffy could manage to say when she was able to speak again. She petted the back of his head and neck.

"Bloody hell," Spike gasped, lifting his head.

They smiled at each other and shared a tender, breathless kiss. They didn't feel exhausted like they had after the last time, but their brains were a little fuzzy. They would need a minute or two for the orgasmic haze to lift. Spike moved off of her and flopped onto his back on the blanket. They were pleased to find that their first time hadn’t been a fluke -- they'd both felt that incredibly strong, mind-scrambling torrent of pleasure again.

Buffy put the back of her hand against her forehead as she got her breath back. "That was some damn fine indulging you did there, sir."

"I aims to please, milady," Spike panted, a broad smile on his face, too.

"God... that was... wonderful!" Buffy enthused. "Having sex with you takes a lot out of me though." She laughed giddily.

"Takes a lot outta me, too," Spike said, raising and lowering his eyebrows.

"I noticed," she said coyly, gingerly rubbing the combination of their juices on her wet slit. Buffy rolled over to lay against his side again. She moved her hand over his stomach and chest. "I love going slow and working up to a big finale, but sometimes I..."

"Just wanna be wildly fucked?" Spike finished her thought.

"That's putting it crudely... but accurately," she giggled. "I think one of my fillings came loose."

"Wasn't too rough, was I?"

"I would've let you know if I didn't like it. Don't start thinking you have to treat me like a China doll." Buffy didn’t want Spike to handle her as if she were fragile like other men in her life had. Not that she didn’t enjoy tenderness, but she also liked a good hard fucking.

"I know you're... sturdy," Spike patted her on the ass. "I'm just making sure you wanted me to be as rough as I was. I s’pose it’s a bad time to check, once we're already done..."

"It was just how I wanted it." She kissed him. "You liked that 'Oh, you're the Big Bad!' thing, eh?"

Spike smirked. "Told you I would. I loved it, pet. It sent me into overdrive." His hand went from resting on her butt to lightly groping. "You sure we don't have time for a longie? I've got lots of things I want to try with you." He'd really wanted to see if she would be up for some doggie style, but he'd forgotten to mention it while they were shagging. It was hard to remember anything with her hot, nubile body wriggling under his.

Buffy smacked his abs. "Stop trying to tempt me, you bad boy. We shouldn't have indulged ourselves as much as we have. You know we have to go now."

Spike sighed heavily. "Yeah, I know. But when this is all over and we have access to a big, comfy bed, you'd better set aside a few days on your calendar."

"I love you," Buffy said sweetly.

"I know," he replied with a smirk.

She rolled her eyes. "How very Han Solo of you."

There was still a twinkle in his blue eyes, but he said more seriously, "You know I love you, Buffy. I'd go on top of the bloody roof and shout my love for you if there wasn't a good chance of me bein' struck by lightning or slipping off and breaking my neck."

Buffy took his hand and stood up, tugging him up to stand with her. Every second they were alone here, naked and smelling of sex, was too much temptation for the newly addicted to Spike-sex Slayer. "Come on, Han, let's go get cleaned up." She tried not to let her gaze linger on his still-hard cock. Remarking on or staring at it might very well lead to them being here for a few more hours.

"Anything you say, Leia."






They gathered their clothes and supplies, and then went down the ladder and made their way to the water closet.

They quickly washed up at the sink.

Buffy's teeth chattered. "Water's cold!"

"Want me to... warm you up?" Spike couldn’t help being a bit naughty by putting his arms around Buffy from behind and nuzzling her neck. His hands slid over her stomach and hips.

Buffy smiled and swatted halfheartedly at his hands. “Stop it, Spike. We don’t have time to screw around.”

“Not even a little?” he asked silkily, pressing his lips against her shoulder blade.

Buffy closed her eyes and leaned back against him, just enjoying the way being in his arms made her feel. "We really have to get going while it's still dark outside, Spike."

"Sure you don't want to hang out in the hayloft a bit longer?" He singsonged, "It's nice and cozy..."

"Ohh yes," Buffy moaned. Then she shook her head, "I mean, no. I'd like to, but..." His lips moved to the side of her neck, pressing soft kisses and sucking lightly. Buffy moaned again. "We just did it a few minutes ago. Wasn't that enough to... satisfy you for a while?"

"Not my fault you're so succulent, Slayer. I can't get enough of you," Spike said in that nearly irresistible caramel-y tone of his. His hands slowly moved up to cup her breasts.

"Dammit," Buffy muttered, then spun around in his arms, and kissed him fiercely.

They kissed and groped and rubbed for a minute before Buffy pulled back, breathing hard. “No, we can’t put everything on hold any longer just so we can satisfy our lustiness. Put your clothes back on.”

Spike sighed dramatically, but stopped kissing and touching her. “Alright... But remember that appointment we have with a big bed and days to explore and map each other's body.”

“I won’t be forgetting that, don’t worry." Buffy was looking forward to that just as much as Spike was.

They both held in disappointed groans once their clothes were back on, they loved looking at the other’s body. But it did help lessen the temptation... somewhat.


On their way out of the barn, they each cast a last wistful glance at the hayloft where they'd spent some very happy hours.

Right before he closed the barn doors behind them, Spike bowed toward the animals, "Thanks for not trying to eat our faces off while we slept. Cheers!"

They walked across the spongy ground back to the road. The storm had made the road into a muddy, goopy mess, but they were relieved that there still was a road after all that rain. The moon was high in the sky, full and bright once again; stars twinkled against the black backdrop of the sky. Everything seemed so calm and peaceful. If it weren't for the state of the dirt road and some fallen tree limbs, you'd never know a monsoon had just come through the area. It wasn't going to be any fun walking along the muddy road, but walking in mud wasn't so bad -- at least they hadn't been drugged and chained to a wall in the barn with those shifty-eyed goats and chickens.

They looked back at the barn and the nearby farmhouse. There didn't appear to be any last minute threats to their safety.

"Well, looks like we got through another of the Unari's little games unscathed. Eventually the tossers are gonna see that there isn't anything they throw at us that we can't handle. I'm pleasantly surprised that we didn't have homicidal farmers or bloodthirsty barnyard animals to deal with."

"Me too. Hard to believe the Unari were kind enough to give us some time alone..."

They weren't sorry they'd been able to get closer because of being waylaid by the storm, but it did make them wonder. There didn't seem to be any purpose to the storm or for them having to seek shelter from it. It could have been a delaying tactic by the Unari to keep them from getting to Dawn more quickly. But...

And then Buffy had an unsettling thought. "What if they set the whole thing up so we would... You don't think the Unari were watching us when we were... you know... do you?" Buffy's eyes widened and darted around.

Spike blinked and frowned. "Dunno... maybe."

She put a hand over her eyes. She felt sick, angry and embarrassed at the thought of anyone observing what she and Spike had done in the hayloft. "Oh my God..."

"I think they might have given us privacy. They seemed to understand about us needing more privacy for the baths..." Spike sniffed. "I don't care if they were watchin', we've got nothin' to be ashamed of."

"You might be okay with those pervs watching us while wearing their filthy trench coats, Mr. Porn Star, but I am not. My boudoir activities are strictly private!"

"We were in a hayloft, pet. Not a boudoir in sight."

Buffy looked at him in exasperation. "How can you be so jokey about this?! Those freaks might have been watching us in our most intimate moments! That doesn't bother you at all?"

"Don't get me wrong, if I find out they were watching us, I'll take a chunk out of their hides for it. There's just nothing we can do to change or prevent it. I've had to learn to let some things roll off my back rather than let them drive me mad. You'd do well to learn the same lesson... especially in this dimension."

"Well, we just won't give them any free 'shows' again. No more sex until we get back home," Buffy said with a firm nod.

Spike didn't like that solution. "That's a little extreme, don't you think? We don't even know if the blighters did watch us."

"It doesn't matter. I'm all squicked thinking they might be watching."

"You know, religious types believe God is watchin' you all the time. Sees you when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake... Wait, I think I got God mixed up with Father Christmas. Same difference though."

"This is different -- the Unari are not Gods."

"In this dimension, they are," Spike said simply.

"Oh, that's just what I wanted to hear. Not helping me feel better, Spike!"

"Bloody hell, Buffy," he groaned. "Don't let them get to you."

"I can't help it, Spike. I'm officially wigged." She pouted, which made him sigh at her adorability.

Spike stepped up to her and gave her pouty lip a light kiss. "It's going to be all right, pet. We won't... give them any more peep shows... if they were even watchin' in the first place." He didn't like the thought of not being able to make love to her again while they were in this dimension, but he had to do whatever it took to help set her mind to rest. "We're not gonna let those bastards get to us, are we? No, we bloody well are not! Not after what we've already gone through. We're gonna show the Unari just how bloody tough and resilient we are. We're going to get past all these bloody tests, straight through to the end when we find Dawn, with all our marbles intact. And then -- if one of the Unari has the bollocks to face us -- we can go medieval on their asses."

Buffy smiled. "Nice pep talk."

Spike smiled a little. "Did it work?"

She nodded. "You're right, we can't let them get to us. That's what they want. I bet they left us with all these dangling questions so we'd be confused and freaked out." Buffy straightened up, squaring her shoulders. "But we're not going to let them win -- all they're doing is pissing us off and earning a monumental kicking of their asses delivered by us. Now, let's ease on down the road before they do reconsider sending a homicidal farmer after us."






Travel on the road was proving problematic... and gross. Every step they took made a squishing sound. Cold mud oozed into their shoes.

Spike was a few steps ahead of Buffy, but he stopped when he heard a loud, strange sucking sound. Buffy stumbled into his back a second later.

"Eww!" Buffy yelled as she tried to right herself. "The stupid mud sucked my shoe off!"

Spike turned around and helped steady her. He tried not to smile to avoid getting smacked. But she looked so cute with her brow creased and hopping on one foot.

Buffy held onto Spike so she didn't fall over and go face-first into the mud as she bent down and retrieved her shoe from the muck. She held it upside down, pouring out mud. "I say again, ewww."

"Want another piggyback ride? You can mount me any ol' time you want."

Buffy gave him a 'don't start' look at that comment, but she steered clear of the double entendre. "Yeah, I'd hop on your back and then you'd sink up to your neck in the mud like a dinosaur in a tar pit. Let's try walking on the grass on the side of the road instead. It's squishy but not as bad as this crap."

They went to the side of the road. Buffy grimaced as she slipped her shoe back on. "Oh, ick -- that's feels nasty."

"I've got cold mud sloshin' around in my shoes, too. Not the most pleasant feeling in the world, is it? Let's talk about something, preferably frivolous, to get our minds off our feet."

They started walking again, trying to ignore the squelchy sensations and sounds.

Buffy thought about the fairy tale 'Hansel & Gretel' and how their own experience compared. "Do you think we're supposed to find our house?"

"Our house?"

"If it follows the fairy tale script, our father left us out in the woods because our wicked stepmother ordered him to get rid of us, right?"

Spike nodded, "Yeah, that's the way it went in most versions of the story."

"Didn't Hansel and Gretel find their way back home after they escaped from the witch to have a happy reunion with their spineless deadbeat dad?"

"But the portal's opened -- or so we've been told -- we satisfied the conditions to go forward. I think we're done with this part of it."

"I hope so. I just want to move on." Buffy looked pensive. "Hmm..."

"What?"

"If we're supposed to be brother and sister... we did some bad, bad things." Buffy made an 'oops' face.

Spike laughed heartily at both the thought of them being related and Buffy's expression. The way his laugh just burst out of him and the way his eyes crinkled up made Buffy smile and think how adorable he could be, even when he was laughing at something dirty.

He wiped a tear from his eye with the back of his hand. "Unlike the original Hansel and Gretel, I don't think we're supposed to be related, luv. We're just... traveling companions."

"Yeah, let's go with that. It's non-creepy and doesn't make us deviants in most States."

"I'll have to have another look at the map to be sure, but I don't think there was another house near the portal. That Mirror told us all we had to do was get to the portal."

"Call me kooky, but I don't trust those people. I wouldn't put it past them to throw one more test at us even though they told us there weren't going to be any more. They'd probably think it would be really funny to surprise us."

Spike hated to admit she might be right, but she did have a point. "We won't get complacent; we'll stay alert." A minute later, he chuckled again. "Us -- brother and sister. Would've been the first taboo, X-rated version of the story, as far as I know."

Buffy laughed along with him. She wouldn't be laughing if she suspected that her friends would get a gander at her and Spike's X-rated exploits.

"I wonder if you'll be playing the title role of Pinocchio somewhere down the line?" Buffy teased.

Spike rolled his eyes, "Oh yeah, that'd be brilliant."

"It would've been great if your nose grew every time you lied in the past. You'd have quite the schnoz by now."

"Yeah, well in my version of 'Pinocchio' it ain't my nose that grows. I saw a very entertaining video nasty based on that premise once."

Buffy chuckled. "How did I know you'd go there?"

He smirked and shrugged. "You set me up for it, and I couldn't resist."

"I don't think you need any magical help in that... area," she said, raising her brows and lowering her eyes to his groin.

Spike's smirk turned into a full-sized grin. "You're a fan of my wriggly bits, then?"

Buffy looked at him sideways with a smirk of her own. "Shut up."

"We'd put how well you can handle wood to the ultimate test."

"Just so you know, I'm not having sex with you if you're a wooden puppet."

"Not even if I'm nice an' shellacked? There'd be less danger of you getting splinters in sensitive areas."

Buffy giggled. "You're so weird. Uh-uh, I don't 'do' puppets, no matter how impressive their noses or other parts may be."

Talking was helping take her mind off of the mud, so she went to the next topic that leapt to mind.

"I wonder why they didn't make me Goldilocks? A little too on the nose? Maybe that will be the next fairy tale we get dropped into."

Spike swallowed audibly. "No, that's not gonna happen."

"It could."

"It won't," Spike said quickly and conclusively, furrowing his brow.

"What's your deal? Is... it the bears?" Buffy hazarded a guess. She recalled how freaked out he had been that Thanksgiving when the Indian spirit had transformed into a bear. "Why do bears scare you so much?"

"'m not scared." Spike squared his jaw. "I had to fight a whole pack of demon bears once,” he said dramatically. “Enormous, red-eyed bears from Hell. Was quite a battle... fraught with peril and pain. Fur, claws and fangs flyin', I barely made it out in one piece."

"Wow, that does sound like a fascinating and action-packed story -- if only it were true,” Buffy said. The look she gave him and the tone of her voice made it clear she wasn’t buying that story for a minute; she knew Spike too well by now. “Good thing you're not Pinocchio right now. Anything growing?" Buffy made a show of looking at his nose and then at the front of his shorts.

"What? That story is completely 100%..." Spike hung his head back and groaned. "Okay, you got me. I made that up. Do I really need an excuse to fear bears? They're massive, have mouths full of sharp teeth, and claws that can eviscerate you in seconds."

"The way you reacted makes me think there's more to it. I've seen you trying to pretend you're not worried or freaked out enough by now to recognize the signs."

"The real story isn't interesting. I really think you'd prefer the demon bears story."

"I prefer the truth."

Spike heaved a sigh. "It’s nothing, just stupid kids' stuff, Buffy. My uncle used to tell me bedtime stories when he would visit. He embellished a lot... The way he told the 'Three Bears' story, especially, gave me nightmares for weeks. There, that's all there is to it -- I had bad dreams and they stuck with me."

Spike's mind flashed back to all those years ago when his Uncle Victor (his mother's brother) would gleefully tell him grisly versions of fairy tales, including the one about the three bears ripping Goldilocks and other unfortunate people to shreds, and how the bears would come and get little 5-year-old William if he wasn't a good boy and didn’t do as he was told. Spike could see himself lying in his childhood bed with the covers pulled up so that only his mop of curly dark blond hair and his frightened, big blue eyes were showing.

Buffy pouted. "I know something about bad dreams and how they tend to stick in my head, too. I'm sorry, Spike. Why was your uncle such a dick?"

He shrugged. "I think it amused him to scare me 'cos I was a sensitive lad. S'pose he thought it'd toughen me up a bit."

"Sounds like he was an asshole."

Spike nodded. "That's a fair assessment. I've got a bad feeling the Unari are going to put us in that fairy tale, just 'cos they know what a hard time I'd have with it." He looked at her. "I don't want you worrying that I'll freeze up. It's not as if I'd be curled up in a corner, shaking with fright -- I'll do whatever it takes for us to get out of it safe an’ sound."

"I know. I have faith in you, Spike." Buffy smiled reassuringly at him. She knew that Spike wasn't one to let his fears stop him from taking action, he didn’t back down from confronting things that scared him. Though fears that went all the way back to childhood were especially difficult to confront. Still, she did believe in Spike. If he had extra trouble, should they be placed in 'Goldilocks', she would help him through it.






They didn't talk for a few minutes after the 'bears' conversation. Spike was trying not to get lost in old, scary memories, and Buffy was feeling bad for bringing it up.

Buffy shifted her thoughts to the positive, thinking about the good aspects of her and Spike being in love when they got back to Sunnydale: they could patrol and spar together, he would help protect her family, and she would finally have a lover that understood her and what being the Slayer meant.

But then the bad stuff worked itself into her thoughts. Her friends would be so upset with her, and Riley... Poor Riley would be devastated. The guilt started gnawing away at Buffy.

Spike noticed the glum look on her face. "Somethin' wrong, pet?"

"I feel horrible, Spike."

He stopped and looked her up and down, alarmed. "You feel sick? What's --"

"No, I'm not sick. It's not a physical thing. I just feel so horribly guilty about... Riley."

Spike tensed and suppressed a growl. "What made you start thinkin' of him? Did you see a toadstool shaped like him or see his likeness in a glob of mud?"

"I was able to not think about the fact that I cheated for a while, but the guilt and badness is really starting to eat at me."

Spike pursed his lips and looked away from her. Now he felt horrible. This is what he was most afraid of -- Buffy regretted it, after all.

"Riley doubted me and my feelings for him once, and I gave him this big, teary speech about how he was who I wanted and needed. And then... I do what I did with you. It's going to hurt him so bad..."

"Oh, I could just go on talkin' about Captain Cardboard all bloody night!" Spike said with a laugh. It wasn't a happy laugh though, more like an 'I'm trying to hang onto my sanity' kind of laugh.

"Spike, why are you getting angry with me?" Buffy asked, clueless. "I'm just trying to tell you how I'm feeling." She saw the muscles in his jaw ticcing and his nostrils flare. She was so preoccupied with her own turbulent thoughts that she didn't consider that Spike might take what she said the wrong way. "I can't help that I feel terrible for what I did."

"Ah, I see," he said tightly. "I thought everything was all right after the way we woke up. But it just took you a little while to be properly disgusted with yourself for shagging me, eh?" She tried to interrupt, but he kept talking over her, his voice rising with emotion. "Here I am, not able to think about anything besides how much being with you meant to me and how bloody much I love you, and all you feel is overwhelming guilt, remorse, and disgust. That's exactly what I was hoping for! What man doesn't dream of the woman he loves saying those words! Thanks ever so!" He growled and trudged ahead of her.

"Stop putting words in my mouth -- I didn't say anything about remorse or being disgusted! Will you calm down?" Buffy followed him, trying to catch up.

"No, I bloody well won't calm down! And I don't need to hear you elaborate on how big a mistake it was to sleep with me. Let's just get on with it and get to the sodding portal -- without any more chitchat."

Buffy didn't think she could feel worse than she did a minute ago, but she did now that she saw how hurt Spike was by her venting. "It's not like that, Spike. I didn't mean it that way!"

"I think I got a bloody good idea of where your head's at, Slayer," Spike grumbled. He felt ill and panicky, like he was suffocating. He didn't need to breathe, but he sometimes forgot that when something as excruciating as this happened to him.

Buffy's temper rose, "It's great to know I can share my feelings with you about any subject and can count on your support and understanding! I should've just kept it to myself and put on a happy face. Fine, that's what I'll do from now on. I guess I can't talk to you about anything!" she huffed as she walked ahead of him. "I love you, but you really know how to piss me off!"

Spike stopped and sighed. "Buffy, wait... Stop. I do want you to tell me when something's on your mind."

Buffy turned around to face him, tears of frustration stung her eyes. "Biting my head off and stomping away from me is a great way to encourage openness."

"How did you expect me to react? I was virtually walkin' on air because I just had the best night of my bloody life, and you tell me you're only wracked with the guilties about it. You... regret it," he looked down, sounding and looking so sad that it made Buffy's heart hurt. The unshed tears in his eyes made her sigh and want to cuddle him.

Buffy set the lantern and axe down on the grass, and then walked up to him and put her hand on his cheek. "Spike, look at me."

He was afraid of what he'd see in her eyes: pity, disgust, regret? If he saw any of those things, he might just burst into a cloud of dust on the spot -- no stake required. After a moment's hesitation, he did look up into her eyes. Spike felt his insides go gooey at the love for him he saw in her eyes.

"It was the best night of my life, too, Spike. I shouldn't have said the stuff about me feeling guilty the way that I did... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or give you the wrong idea. Please don't think that part of me isn't just as air walky as you. It's just that I feel like a bad person for not being strong enough to wait and do things in the right order. I didn't want to be a cheater... The guilt is doubled because I can't regret what happened between us, and thinking about getting another chance to be with you like that makes me feel so..." Buffy blushed and swallowed. "I know I'll do it again... and again, and again. I feel guiltier because I enjoyed being with you so much."

His pain was fading at her words; she still wanted him, she hadn't changed her mind. "You don't... regret it, then?" Spike asked timidly, needing to hear her say it.

Buffy smiled and shook her head no, then leaned in to kiss him softly. "I don't regret it. I love you, I love the way you make me feel, and I love the way that you love me."

Spike was trying hard not to let his bruised feelings get the best of him. He knew how he could get -- letting his emotions run his mouth most of the time. When he was hurt, he tended to strike out like an angry cobra. He reminded himself, harshly, that he had to try being less of a hothead now that they were together. Couples talked things out, they shouldn't be afraid to be open with each other. He'd rather just hoist Buffy up around his waist, press her back against the nearest tree and demonstrate how much he loved her, and once again claim her as his woman, and his alone. But he had to try to control himself.

Buffy continued, "I'm not feeling only guilty about us having sex. There's a whole bunch of good and wonderful thoughts and feelings wrapped up in it. Nothing that felt that right can be wrong."

Spike set down the bags he was carrying and put his arms loosely around her waist, needing to hold her. "Can't you, just for once, let yourself have some pleasure and not feel guilty for it?"

"The answer to that question seems to be no."

"I didn't know you were Catholic," Spike joked.

Buffy hugged him, resting her head on his shoulder. "I wish I could just bask and do the 'on cloud 9' thing. It figures that the most amazing night of my life has to result in someone being wounded. Again, not regretting being with you," she added quickly. "I just... can't be totally happy and carefree knowing that someone innocent has to get hurt and that I'm going to be the cause of that hurting."

Spike took in a breath and rubbed her back while he looked upwards to the night sky and prayed for the strength to be patient and understanding with Buffy. "You're too hard on yourself, luv. You're the best person I've ever met. And if anyone deserves to take life by the bollocks and live for today, it's you. People get hurt no matter how bloody much we wish it weren't so. Life's not a game for the faint of heart. I've had my share of pain and heartbreak, but sometimes... I think things happen for a reason. We get stronger from being beaten down, and it can lead us to find our way to our true destinies."

"I guess..." Buffy moped. That was a good way to think of it though. She didn't feel that she belonged with Riley, but he was such a great guy, he deserved to find the perfect woman for him. Even though Riley would be hurt if she broke up with him, it would free him up to find the woman he really belonged with.

Spike kissed the top of her head. "You've earned the right to be happy. I'll do everything within my power to make you happy, Buffy."

She hugged him tighter before pulling back to kiss his lips. "I am happy being with you, Spike. I'm just a really complicated and emotional gal."

"Hey, we just had our first argument since we became a couple... Now we're required by law to 'make up'." Spike smirked and went in for another kiss.

Buffy laughed and pushed on his chest. "Uh-uh, mister, put that tongue away. We don't exactly have the luxury of time right now. Believe me, part of me would love to throw caution to the wind and have lots of make up sex with you."

"Bet I can guess which part," Spike said, then poked out his tongue and squeezed her butt.

She rolled her eyes and wriggled out of his grasp, but smiled. "God, are you perpetually horny?"

"For you? Yes."

"You'll have to settle for another 'I love you' and a kiss... for now. But with the promise of a good 'making up' when we have time." There was so much else weighing on her mind that she temporarily forgot about the 'no sex until we get home' rule. Though, the last time she'd made that vow it hadn't lasted very long...

"Maybe we'll have another spat before then and we'll have to make up twice," Spike said hopefully.

She gave him a quick peck on the lips, and then hopped away before he could grab her and turn it into something more intense.

Spike cocked an eyebrow. "Alright, I got the drive-by kiss, such as it was, but I don't think I officially got the extra 'I love you'."

"I love you -- I love you -- I love you -- I love you! There. That was four of them in a row. That should hold you for a while," Buffy said teasingly.

"Oh yeah, 'specially when you say it with so much sincerity," Spike said peevishly, rolling his eyes. "I'm all a' twitter."

Buffy hung her head back. "Spike..." she said wearily, thinking that he was still being ultra-sensitive. "I was only --"

He grinned. "Sorry, luv. Just takin' the piss. I know you meant it."

"In the future, don't take my piss, leave my piss alone."

He laughed and then she laughed. It was a relief to be "okay" again. Buffy still felt guilty for cheating on Riley, but she couldn't help how happy Spike made her feel either. She made a big effort to go back to dwelling on the happy for now. Thinking about the bad stuff wasn't good for her mental health, and it would hurt Spike's feelings again if she got all mopey. He was so damn sensitive! It got on her nerves... but she kind of loved his sensitive side too. How Spike wore his heart on his sleeve was endearing in a way, she only wished he wasn't so quick to be injured or angered with little provocation. Spike was one complicated, multi-layered vamp. But he was her complicated, multi-layered vamp, she had to be more patient with him.

Riley was due some profuse apologies when Buffy got back -- even if her feelings for Spike were caused by the Unari and she didn't feel the same way she did about him as she did in this world. There was still that upsetting detail to think about. It would solve some problems if she wasn't in love with Spike back in the real world, her life wouldn't become more topsy-turvy. But she didn't want it all to be an illusion, either. She loved Spike and how amazing he could make her feel with just a look or a touch, she'd never felt so loved and adored by any other man. Buffy kept waffling about what the best and easiest outcome would be. She definitely wouldn't mention that to Spike, it would hurt him too much if he knew that even a little part of her wished things would go back to "normal" once they got home. Hurting Spike again was the last thing she wanted to do.

"So, can I or can I not tell you if I'm worried about anything?" Buffy asked.

"You can." Spike nodded, vowing to himself that he would try not jumping to the worst conclusion every time Buffy opened her mouth. "I want you to be able to tell me anything, pet. I'll..." He sniffed and squared his shoulders. "I'll try not to fly off the handle, and just... try to be there for you."

Buffy smiled. She wasn't sure if he could do that, but it was nice that he was going to try. "And I'll try to be more careful in how I phrase the stuff I say. Just try to remember that I love you, you sweet, sensitive hunk of vampire."


Continued...