Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this has taken so long; pressures of the season.
Spike ran through the open door, into Angel's apartment and instantly took in the scene: unconscious slayer on floor in pile of dust - not Buffy - don't care, large stone demon about to suck world into hell, Dru, Buffy....

Buffy!!

Buffy down on her knees, her eyes dreamily focused on nothing, a small smile on her beautiful lips, Dru crouching in front of her...

"'Ello, darlin' boy," Drusilla said, not even looking at him, "We're all goin' to 'ell; except your sunshine, SHE'LL be in 'eaven!"

She slashed at Buffy with her fingernails and blood spurted upward in an arc; decorating the walls and ceiling as Buffy, still smiling, bled to death in front of Spike's eyes.

"NO!!!"


He awoke, with a jolt and, realizing that he had been dreaming again, mentally thanked whatever deity watched over evil, soulless vampires, that it hadn't REALLY played out that way.

He HAD been in time. He had snatched up Buffy's dropped sword and, without a second thought, driven it straight through Drusilla and into the stone demon. The look of betrayal on her face, would haunt him forever but he couldn't have borne his continued existence, if he had lost Buffy.

He hadn't expected it to hurt so much. Emotionally, yeah, he'd expected THAT. He'd thought himself in love with Dru for over a century, of course he would feel SOMETHING but he hadn't expected the physical hurt. It had been like putting his insides in a blender and if Buffy hadn't fed him her blood, he wasn't sure what would have happened to him. COULD he have dusted? He didn't think so but there was so much about being a vampire, that he didn't know. The only person he had had to learn from, had been Dru and SHE had been kept very firmly in the dark, by Angelus.

'Bloody wanker,' He thought. 'He leaves Buffy and runs off with Dru, then lets the silly bint almost end the world. Couldn't have bloody warned us!'

Still, it had all turned out alright. That strange little demon had turned up, going on about Captain Forehead. He'd snapped Buffy out of Dru's thrall and Buffy had told him to help the other slayer. Kendra had made a full recovery and was back with her watcher. She'd been left with no memory of what had happened and Buffy had happily reinvented the story, so that Kendra had been the one to send Dru to hell. Willow and Giles were also ok, although Giles was still a bit disturbed by his memory of telling Jenny all about the ritual for waking Acathla. Dru must have used her thrall on him, the bitch. Just when he was starting to come to terms with his loss. On the up side, he wasn't getting too involved with Buffy's life, at the moment. The last thing Spike needed, was an outraged watcher trying to defend his slayer's honour by attempting to kill him. It was hard enough trying to get her home at night, before her mother twigged that something was going on.

Sometimes, Spike had to pinch himself. He a big, bad, evil vampire, was dating a school girl. Worse, she was the slayer. He had come to Sunnydale especially to KILL her. Nothing personal, of course, he just enjoyed a challenge. He didn't hate slayers, he'd always pretty much felt sorry for them. One girl in all the world, up against so many vampires, sooner or later doomed to have an off day and get killed. Of course, his Buffy didn't limit herself to vampires; she'd take out demons, too. She was a superb fighter and adding her to his slayer kill count, at the height of her power, would have given him a lot of status. At one time, he had considered it a kindness - take them out in a glorious, fair fight - one last, historic battle. No longer. He was more than happy with the way things had worked out, with Buffy. Making love with a slayer was loads better than killing one. Best of all, she had already 'died' once and her replacement had been called; that took some of the pressure off her; two targets, instead of one.

They still sparred; in his factory hideout, these days. Whenever he 'won', he would kiss her throat, barely grazing her skin with his teeth and she would shiver and arch her body against his. He would carry her to his bed and tenderly make love to her. His slayer. His love. His Buffy.

* * * * *

It was just after nightfall and Spike was feeling restless. He could feel something strange, like a vibration, deep inside him. A low, thrumming, almost-sound, that pulled at him and bid him 'COME'. He resisted, testing his free will and, once he had proved to himself that he COULD resist, he gave in. Picking up a large battleaxe, he let the feeling guide him and it wasn't long before he realized where he was being pulled to...


Buffy was in trouble. The dead man that had smashed his way into her house, was, well, DEAD. Try as she might, she couldn't kill him any further and he was in danger of doing some real damage to her and her mom, who was cowering in the closet. The zombie cat had obviously been the warm up act, Buffy thought, as a second zombie crashed through the window.

"Need a hand, pet?" Spike asked. He was standing on her porch and she'd never been so happy to see anyone.

"Come in, Spike." She gasped and he ran in, swinging his axe.

The dead man's head went one way and his body the other but it didn't slow him down by much. He blindly groped towards the stairs. More of them were pouring through the door now and also heading upwards.

"ALRIGHT!!" Spike yelled, really getting stuck in with the axe, a huge grin on his face.

Arms and legs flew, as Buffy made her way up the stairs, pushing zombies down to where Spike was slashing. Body parts squirmed around the floor, all irresistibly lured upstairs.

The first intact corpse to reach the prize, walked triumphantly back to the landing, Buffy's mom's hideous wooden mask obscuring its face and an unearthly light pouring from its eyes. Buffy was transfixed. It reached for her.

Buffy blinked and stared at the sight before her. The mask on the zombie's face, now had Spike's axe buried across both eyes and sparkling light was fizzing around, taking the zombie with it as it disappeared. Buffy looked around, the other dead things had vanished, too.

"Damn, I was enjoying that." Spike said, retrieving his axe from the floor, where it had landed.

"That's twice," Buffy said. "Twice you've killed for me, while I've been all trancey.

"Would you care to explain that statement, young lady?"

"Mom! Er... this is..."

"William, Ma'am." Spike said, holding his hand out to Joyce and smiling at her with all the charm he could muster, under the circumstances. He still had his axe in the other hand.

Joyce looked around at the devastation.

"Where did those people go?"

"They vanished when Spi...er William killed the one wearing that mask."

"The one from the gallery?"

"Yeah, Mom; it was raising the dead."

"Have you gone completely crazy?"

"No. I. Haven't." Buffy said, coldly. "I. Am. A. Vampire. Slayer. You can't deny it any longer and I certainly won't let you put me away again."

"Buffy, vampires aren't real."

"Oh and zombies are? You saw them with your own eyes. This is what I do and William helps me."

Joyce looked at Spike again.

"I've seen you before." She said, "You were with that PCP gang, I hit you with an axe."

"That you did." Spike said, with a smile.

"And now you're, what? Dating my daughter?"

"Yeah, Mom, we're dating. And he doesn't do drugs." Buffy said, raising an eyebrow at Spike.

"And you're a vampire slayer?" Joyce said to Buffy. "Have you tried NOT being a vampire slayer?"

"Really not an option." Buffy sighed.

Joyce looked Spike over.

"At least you're not as old as that Angel. He was over here one time, 'studying' with Buffy; I always felt he wanted more. Way too old for her."

"Yeah, no class, either." Spike growled.

"Don't push it." Buffy muttered, as her mom led them into the kitchen for hot chocolate and marshmallows.


Chapter End Notes:
Anyone who's worried about Chanterelle/Lily, don't be. Obviously, Buffy didn't leave Sunnydale but Angel went to LA earlier and so was able to start helping people sooner. He saved her and put a stop to the whole 'hellish slave trade'. She probably won't have changed her name to 'Anne', though.