Chapter 12: Watch out!



Buffy woke up chipper and well rested. She smiled noticing that she was of course in Spike’s arms and of course covered with his coat. She might not approve of where he got the coat from but it was sure coming in handy.

She sat up smiling down at Spike and then wiggled out of his arms to get dressed. She watched as Spike stirred and smiled at her then proceeded to get dressed as well. Today’s journey would lead them down to the bottom of the cliffs and perhaps some more. They would need to find a way to seek shelter though for night. She shifted as she stood up stretching, “So we hit the bottom of the cliffs tonight and then what?”

Spike pondered her question for a moment before giving her an answer, “Well pet, I reckon we hit the forest to lead to the path. If there’s shelter at the bottom of the cliff we might want to take a breather. I don’t exactly fancy sleeping under the stars in a forest full of beasties. Based on what we have seen here, it’s nothing we can’t handle but I’m not too sure I want to take a chance in the forest.”

Buffy nodded in agreement as she swung on her jean jacket, “Well let’s get started.”

Spike was dying to talk to her about what all this meant. They were getting closer, he could feel it but he wanted to wait to have that conversation for a more opportune time. Perhaps tonight if they could find shelter earlier than normal, he would have time to try the whole cuddling thing while awake. It would be something new and something he’d like to try with Buffy. He only could hope she felt the same.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy jumped down the second to the last ledge as she looked up at him watching as he jumped beside her. They had been quiet for the trip down and Buffy was wondering what was going on in his mind. What she wouldn’t give for a mind reading spell right about now. She was confused and lost and wanted to know exactly what he felt for her. He hadn’t even mentioned the word love since she had been brought back and they had made love tons or at least had sex. Either way, shouldn’t that make a person who feels love want to say it? Having him not pressure her or even try to force the love issue was making her a tad crazy. She was dying to bring it up but was nervous about the results of the conversation. She was enjoying what they had. It was comforting and definitely real. Love was such a strong word and honestly she had never been able to really love since Angel. Angel was easy because she hadn’t been hurt before. It was the first time she had been in love with someone, which always makes it different. With Spike, it was more comforting, passionate, wild, adventurous, and spontaneous. Angel was mysterious and enchanting while Spike was dependable and trustworthy. Spike wore his feelings on his sleeves whereas Angel was always a guessing game.

Buffy realized as much as she’d like to pretend she didn’t, she trusted Spike with her life as well as her family’s and had for some time. She let Spike help her to the last level and looked around where they were. There was a small ledge but they both knew it wouldn’t offer a whole lot of shelter. Buffy frowned looking at Spike. Spike shrugged, “That would work as long as it doesn’t rain but the sky doesn’t look very cooperative with that idea. Shall we press on?”

Buffy was looking forward to a night of relaxation for once and frowned. Spike noticed her frown and whispered his suggestion, “Perhaps further down the cliff there’s some shelter.”

Buffy nodded, “You want to split up?”

Spike shrugged, finally relenting knowing it would be faster, “Ok, you go that way” as he pointed to the west, “and I’ll go this way” as he pointed to the opposite direction.

Buffy nodded, “I’ll yell if I see anything good.” Spike nodded and headed off to find something for the night determined to make it fast to make more time together.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy kicked the stone cliff upset she hadn’t found anything. The sky was full of clouds and all she wanted to do was relax for the night and not wander around aimlessly alone in the dark. What she didn’t realize is that when she kicked the cliff, she awoke a stone snake that slithered down the cliff and wrapped itself around her leg before she could push it off and it bit her. She screamed, kicking the snake off but he curled up around her other leg biting there as well.

Buffy was screaming out of pain and fear and Spike leaped next to her, spotting the snake and threw it into the cliff before stabbing it with a stick. He looked over at Buffy and picked up her leg and without rethinking the consequences, bit down on her leg and began to suck out the venom. He didn’t swallow and spit quickly and did the same to the second bite. He repeated it twice just to make sure he got all the venom out and then lifted her into his arms taking her to the shelter he had found.

He noticed she was sweating and very cold. He took off his coat and wrapped it around her before gathering wood for a fire. It seemed like it took him forever but finally the fire was started with a bit extra firewood and he wrapped his arms around her rubbing her arms and legs hoping to keep her warm.

She looked deathly pale but was still breathing. He closed his eyes praying to whatever would hear him that she wouldn’t die. In this dimension, they had no way of getting back for medical help and he had done all he could think of.

Buffy shivered in his arms and he let the tears flow. He was about to lose the love of his life again. Bad enough she died but this time it was over a bloody snake bite. He rocked her in his arms wrapping her arms with his hands hoping to do some good. She moaned as she thrashed around. Spike sat rocking her, drenching her with tears as she continued to suffer. Finally after an hour, he laid down beside her, putting his head on her chest so that he could feel her breathing hoping if she stopped he’d wake up, and closed his eyes to rest.


Chapter End Notes:
Last chapter for a bit. Thank you so much Brittany for your hard work and thanks ever so much to the readers who have been faithful. I write for people like you guys! Until next time...