Author's Chapter Notes:
More chapters from Brittany. Yay!

Chapter 16: The Natives are Restless



Spike said, “We come in peace. We are looking for someone.”

The Natives started speaking another language and Spike was able to recognize it repeating the message in their language, “We come in peace. We are looking for someone. This lady here…” He stopped gesturing towards Buffy who still looked posed to fight, “Buffy, her sister was brought here by two evil demons and we need to rescue her and bring her back to our dimension.”

The Natives were not happy with finding two more intruders in their land. They did not seem impressed by her fighting stance either and poked towards her with the crossbow. The tallest one spoke up, “We took three others in our custody earlier. There was a young girl, and two green creatures with her.”

Spike grinned, “That’s her then! We just need the girl and we can be on our way.”

The native spoke up again, “That’s not possible I’m afraid. She was chosen to be one of the King’s mates. Her companions were to be killed though. They attacked and killed one of us. The only way to free her from the King is in battle. Luckily that can only happen on their wedding day and I don’t suspect you two will be living that long.”

Buffy frowned watching Spike interact with them in their language. She didn’t like that she couldn’t understand a word they were saying and that Spike was getting more and more upset by the minute. Spike cursed in English for a second before switching back to the native language, “Bloody Hell! Well, we need her back. Just bring me to the King and I’ll handle this. She’s just a kid. She can’t be anyone’s queen.”

The native shook his head but relented, “We will take you to the king. Tell your lady there to stand down.”

Spike shouted annoyed, “Just a minute here. We aren’t attacking you, and you are holding weapons to us. We don’t wish to harm you, we only want the sister.”

The native shook his head, “I’ll take you to the King but you must be put into custody. Tell your lady to stand down.” Spike rolled his eyes as the native stated, “Guards surround them and tie their hands.”

Spike head butted one of the guards who approached him and tripped another but there were too many. Buffy was trying to fight as well until finally Spike sighed defeated, “Let them tie us up. They are taking us to their leader and they have Dawn.”

Buffy retorted, “You expect me to trust them that they are bringing us to their leader? I’d rather be free and able to fight if necessary. Tell them that! They are the ones holding weapons, Spike!”

Spike shook his head sadly admitting, “We are outnumbered, Slayer. We have to just deal with it.”

Buffy sighed and watched as she lost the battle. She bent down and picked up Fuzzball and put him on her shoulder as her hands were bound. She closed her eyes as she was starting to be led just hoping it would be over soon so she and Dawn can return to a life that’s normal.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy walked next to Spike and whispered, “What did they say?” She had Fuzzball perched on her shoulder and he didn’t seem to mind but didn’t like the natives with big crossbows.

Spike looked at her and whispered back, “Shh, I’m still trying to make out what they are saying now. Some of the words are different than I’m used to.”

Buffy sighed and stayed quiet reluctantly. She knew she had to depend on Spike to translate and didn’t like it but she had no choice. She heard strange sounds all around her. They were following the dirt path she had seen with Spike on the cliff. Apparently they lived in that village and fortress they had seen from up there. She was nervous and worried. She didn’t like not having the use of her hands and wasn’t impressed at all by their treatment so far. If Spike hadn’t of given up, she would have kicked their asses or died trying but she figured he had a reason for his actions. He seemed to care for Dawn almost as much as she did. She was sure he would do his best to make sure all three of them got home safe and sound.

She hoped Dawn was okay but figured they would be seeing her soon enough. She was nervous but Spike seemed to think she was okay. She only hoped that Dawn would stay okay. She wished with all her heart that she could understand the language. There were chattering all around her and she couldn’t understand any of it. Her thoughts trailed off for a brief minute to how foreigners must feel but then realized she wasn’t in a foreign country and instead was in a different dimension. She wondered how Spike understood the language so well but she knew now wasn’t the time to ask him.

She briefly frowned as she thought about going home. She was enjoying the existence of being here. No friends or family to judge her or demand things from her. They had issues sure but it was things that were natural and not man-made. She could deal with vampires, demons, werewolves, and animals. She just struggled with having to deal with other people’s relationships, family life, lack of money and saving the world. She had lost her mother and instead of support from her friends, she got dumped on in a way. No one had given her a hug offering to help with expenses or with Dawn. When she was dead, they just continued to use the expenses until there were none left upon her arrival back. She knew it was expecting a lot but she would have thought during the 147 days she was dead, someone would have come up with a way to use something other than her money. Surely they had to eat and live.

She glanced at Spike who had his head cranked towards the guards and was apparently listening very closely to them. She wondered what he was hearing but figured it was pointless to wonder that. She eyed the village walls that were rapidly coming closer and longed for at least some clean clothes.

Spike on the other hand was busy listening to the leaders talking. They were deciding what to do with them and Spike didn’t like the sound of what they were saying. His translation skills in this particular language were rudimentary and it had been years since he had run into the vampire nest, which included a demon, which spoke the language. He just hoped his skills were enough to get him and Buffy by. He also hoped he could make out enough to help rescue Dawn who appeared to be in over her head. From what he gathered, the king was newly of age and was to choose a bride a week from today. He would have his choice from the fairest of young maidens in the area as well as Dawn and some other foreigner who had lived in the fortress for a few years now.

He sighed as they continued to walk. This area was much different. He didn’t mind the wilderness where he and Buffy were alone. In fact it seemed like the first time in their lives, they were totally getting along and depending on each other. It did sound like Dawn would be cared for in order to entice the king but wasn’t sure that he and Buffy would be so lucky.

He paused as he looked ahead of them and saw a huge fortress. It was surrounded by thick stone walls that appeared heavily guarded by the Natives. They had darker tan skin and were all muscular. Their black hair was very long and their eyes were all brown, showing no fear. They also sported two horns on their head that were brown to match their skin. For a brief minute he wondered what the women would look like but obviously the men were the hunters and protectors of the city. The tallest native yelled out something that Spike couldn’t translate and the doors opened, allowing entrance.

Villagers, who surrounded the path, were watching as they were guided through the streets towards the giant fortress. Spike took a good look at the villagers. They looked similar to the Natives that were their guards only less muscular and included women and children. All had horns, darker skin and long black hair. They also all had brown eyes that seemed interested in the new comers.

Spike really hoped that they would be welcomed here and not killed as the demons that had kidnapped Dawn had been. That was the part that made him most nervous. He glanced back at Buffy who looked lost in thought. Just as he was about to turn back around she glanced at him and gave him a tentative smile and he nodded towards her trying to ease some of the fears he knew she had to have. He took a deep breath as they paused in front of the huge fortress.