Author's Chapter Notes:
Another betaed chapter by Sallyntmare. She's working hard while I'm up in Maine spending time with my niece! Thanks Sallyntmare!

Chapter 36: The Ball



Song: “If I Could Be Where You Are” by Enya

Buffy twirled around the room as Spike trailed behind her, trying to tie the last of the ribbons on her dress. Her laughter filled the room as he caught her around the waist.

“Bloody Hell, Summers. Sometimes, you’re worse than a kid,” he jokingly shouted.

She jutted her bottom lip out as she stayed still and glared at him. Once he finished tying her up, she turned around and twirled around, her gown billowing around her. Spike gasped for air he didn’t need, thinking she looked magnificent.

Buffy grinned at his reaction as she looked down his outfit, which had her melting on the spot.

He was wearing black leather pants that hugged everything he had tightly leaving almost nothing to the imagination. He had donned a light tan shirt with a black vest. He had a piece of cloth tied around his neck in some sort of tie that looked different than the ties she was used to back home. It accented his neck and the outfit nicely though. The way the tan shirt pulled across his abs had Buffy remembering the feel of them under her fingertips.

While Buffy was still admiring him, Spike walked over to his duster and drew out the necklace that he had bought for her from the jeweler earlier in the day.

“How?” she gasped in surprise.

He grinned. “Does it matter?”

She shook her head as he turned her around to lift her hair, gently placing the necklace around the low neck of the dress. The dress was a round, low neck that was slightly off the shoulders, with short golden sleeves held up by, soft, white silk ribbons. Around her waist was a white ribbon and the back was laced together with same color ribbons. Spike had tied them into bows. In her hair, Spike had helped to place the golden barrettes, which he had tied, extra small, white ribbons to hang down into her hair.

Her smile could not be contained as she saw the care he took in fixing her hair just right. She was even happier that it seemed to grow fast in this world. Her hair was already below her shoulder, and she had only been there for two weeks. She had smiled seeing what care he took into fixing her hair just right and was happy to see it had grown fast in this world. It was already to below her shoulders in just two weeks. The gown was long and had many layers of silk under it to create the same kind of sight as would have been worn in the time of William before Spike had been turned.

She felt her full stomach do flip flops as she flung herself into his arms to give him a heated kiss meant to be a thank you, but quickly turned into something else. They were lost in each other’s kiss as the maid came in, clearing her throat and looking embarrassed as she told Spike that it was time they left.

The maid handed Buffy the necklace so she could understand the native language tonight. With Spike’s help, they attached it to the ribbon around her waist so it was on her but unseen. Then Spike offered his arm out for Buffy to link hers through. She smiled and accepted his arm as they made their way together to the ball.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



The ball was magical and perfect. The ceiling was made of the same crystals that made up the windows. It allowed the three moons to shine with their fiery wonder down on all the people. The crystal effect created a soft glow on everyone along with the shining few lanterns covered by the same crystal material only this time in blue. The whole scene left Buffy breathless with the way blue and red designs danced on everything and everyone in sight. There was soft music playing from somewhere unseen. It made Buffy think that magic was responsible.
Wandering around the room with Spike,

Buffy noticed that along each of the walls were glowing blue trays. They had meats, cheeses, and tiny mouthfuls of something that looked like desserts. There were also many types of drinks lined up in small clear glasses that people were constantly drinking from. Buffy stared for a while but was unable to make out any actual person who refilled the area since it was dark black behind the glowing tray. Buffy assumed this made it so that the waitresses could be unseen by all.

Glazing around her, she found the necklace around her waist to be a distraction as she could suddenly hear conversations about various topics such as the upcoming King's choice of a Queen, the hunts and the price of various items at the huts. She couldn't focus enough on any one person to determine the actual full conversation but with a slight squeeze of Spike's hand on her arm, she smiled up at him and was able to ignore the other conversations around her.

Everyone in the town had showed up, except for the girls who had been chosen for the King’s collection, but Buffy didn’t let that factor spoil her night. Spike had told her that she would see Dawn after the ball.

She danced, every dance, with Spike and was constantly amazed at how perfectly they interacted. When questioned how long they had known each other, they both echoed 5 years, without pausing, and the remarks that followed usually consisted of the idea that they seemed to fit together so well that people would have assumed they knew each other their whole life.

Spike thought that Buffy was indeed the most beautiful of all the ladies at the ball and he noticed a few times the King eyeing her as though he was interested. Spike would only pull her a tad closer and she would respond by leaning against him, holding his hand or something else just as endearing. Buffy had never spent a night feeling more beautiful than she did as she was dancing in Spike’s arms, resting her head on his chest against his neck and feeling his love surround her. She felt as though she had finally met her match, someone who fit her perfectly in every way and that in a way scared her but she did not dare to think about it that night. Instead, she laughed and smiled and loved every moment she was with him, eager to keep it all in her memories for years to come.

Near the end of the ball, when the last slow song was playing, Spike and she were holding each other close talking.

Buffy was saying, “I’m nervous about this night ending. It’s been perfect in every way. What if we never get another like this again?“

Spike sighed, feeling the same way. “We get to visit Dawn in a bit, and we will have many more nights like this. Granted, not balls but I can’t imagine us every going back to what we were before. We are in each other’s systems and I don’t think we will ever get past that.” Buffy said nothing and instead rested her head against his neck, listening to the sad song that sang over her,

I’m lost now without you
I don’t know where you are
I keep watching
I keep hoping
but time keeps us apart
Is there a way I can find you?
Is there a sign I should know?
Is there a road I could follow
To bring you back home

Spike kissed her forehead as they both let the lyrics wash over them.
Winter lies before me
Now you’re so far away
In the darkness of my dreaming
The light of you will stay
If I could be close beside you
If I could be where you are
If I could reach out and touch you
And bring you back home
Is there a way I can find you?
Is there a sign I should know?
Is there a road I could follow
To bring you back home to me”


The song ended and Buffy wiped the tears away from her eyes as Spike and her broke apart. She felt his lips brush hers in a gentle kiss as he whispered, “Thank you for the most perfect evening, my love.”

She smiled and returned his kiss and whispered, “It was my most perfect evening as well.”

Spike took her hand and led her to the King and they both bowed in front of him, thanking him for a wonderful evening. Buffy let Spike remove the necklace from her ribbon around her waist and they returned it to him with a thank you. He informed Spike that he would be away from the fortress for the next few nights but he would be back in four days for the hunt that he would like Spike to participate in. Spike nodded in agreement, taking Buffy’s hand and leading her to the place where Dawn was for her visit.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy sat next to Dawn on her bed, leaning back into Spike’s arms as she described the ball in detail. Dawn was excited and listened in awe as Buffy described how the other ladies were dressed, the music, the drinks and the dancing. Dawn noticed a big difference in her sister during this visit. She appeared to be floating on cloud nine and was very open being with Spike. They had arrived with Spike’s hand resting on Buffy’s back and although he had backed off when Dawn and Buffy had hugged, he immediately sat behind her on the bed and Buffy rested her head back against his chest, snuggling deeply into his arms that had went around her waist.

Dawn had smiled at the gesture, happy to see Buffy with Spike. Spike loved her so much and she knew they had issues getting together because of Angel spurning Buffy so bad. He had really given vampires a bad name and had convinced Buffy that because of his inability to fight against his evil side, that all vampires couldn’t. Dawn knew the truth: it was a choice. Spike chose to overcome his darkness and evil tendencies because of love, while Angelus chose to embrace his. That was all there was to it and even she being 15 could see that. She was happy to see that, perhaps, her sister saw this as well and made a point to say something to her when she had the chance.

Dawn was doing well in her environment. She had picked up much of the language and had made two friends. They weren’t life-long friends but they would do to keep her company while they girls were stuck together being pampered. She was now allowed to swim in the mornings and go for walks with her other two companions in the afternoons. She was fed three meals a day and was constantly being pampered with scented bathes, hair brushing and makeup. She didn’t mind it so much, but longed for being home where she wouldn’t be constantly touched and coddled so much. Nonetheless, Buffy was pleased to see that she was, at least, being taken care of and was adjusting well. She had six days left with another two visits left before it was time for Spike to fight for her freedom and she was okay with that. She missed Buffy but smiled as she talked.

Spike was proud to see the platelet so brave and strong in a not so great situation but at least she was making the best of it and not suffering too badly. He watched the two interact and caught Dawn’s knowing eye a few times and he couldn’t help but smile at her knowing she knew that he and Buffy had finally gotten together. He only could hope it would last once they returned to their world. He stepped out of the room for their goodbyes, willing to give them two minutes to talk privately even though neither had asked for it.

Dawn took the opportunity to say, “So, you and Spike are finally dating?”

Buffy frowned. “Dating...I guess that is what you would call it.”

Dawn smiled. “He loves you and he’s great for you. I always thought you two made a cute couple. I’m glad to see it’s working out. Do you love him?” Buffy hesitated and Dawn smiled, “Your eyes say it all. I think it’s great and I want you two to know you have my full support even if your gang is prejudice and controlling, I think you guys will work out just fine as long as you stick together.”

Buffy sighed, “I just wish he was human.” Buffy's mind filled with thoughts of how easier it would be for her friends to accept him if he was human. She wouldn't have to hide her feelings for him or listen to them judging him based on the fact he was a vampire without a soul. It would also eliminate the factor that Spike would never age and Buffy would continue to age. She could never pretend to be normal with a vampire. She could never grow old with Spike watching their grandchildren grow up. There would be no normal marriage, children, or white picket fence. With a gentle sigh, she heard Dawn's whisper break her thoughts.

Dawn whispered, “Sometimes he’s more human than he’d like to admit.”

As Buffy walked away, Dawn’s words echoed in her head as she hugged her goodbye, promising she would be back in three days. As Buffy walked from the room she looked up at Spike who took her hand not saying anything, and together they walked back to the room with Buffy’s mind filled with thoughts.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



The fog in the back of the hall disappeared, taking with it the white-haired lady who had been listening in on Dawn and Buffy’s conversation. She had smiled knowingly and disappeared before Spike and Buffy noticed her.