Author's Chapter Notes:
Another update yay! Thank you so much Sallyntmare for continuing to beta for me even though I know life is busy! Not sure what I'd do without your faithfulness.

Chapter 44: The Real Life Before Your Eyes Event



The intense feeling that consumed her after the claim made her eyes close in exhaustion. Spike collapsed on top of her from tiredness.

Buffy’s entire world had spiraled out of control; a mass of swirling emotions filled her. She cried out from the extreme shock of it all.

Spike rolled over, pulling her onto his lap and holding her close. They both lay there in silence as the many emotions racked through their bodies. The two lovers shared memories now; each letting them pass into each other's minds.

Buffy was able to feel William’s rejection from Cecily, weeping for his pain because she felt it as well. Then, a gasp filled the room as she felt Drusilla bite into his neck, giving him the life of a vampire.

She watched in horror when William decided to turn his terminally ill mother into a vampire, hoping it would save her. The horror only continued when she came back a pure demon that had no love at all for Ann’s son. Her heart bled for his mother just as his had over a hundred years ago.

The Slayer looked on as Angelus tortured and punished him repeatedly, victimizing him for being who he was. She saw him try time and time again to make Angelus proud as he killed the Slayer in China and another in Italy that she didn’t know about. She watched as he fled from area to area searching to find something to make him vampire-worthy for both Dru and Angelus. She watched as Dru floated back and forth between Spike and Angelus and other lovers, not able to commit to only Spike. He was later placed in jail because of the Immortal, and how he had searched for Dru where they wandered together.

A memory of the subway in New York flashed in her mind. Spike threw himself into battle with a Slayer, aiming to earn Dru’s attention again.

A mob injured Dru in Prague and Buffy now felt his pain as he had taken her to Sunnydale. The rest of their lives together she saw through his eyes. She watched as Dru was devoted to him as he was her caretaker, but as soon as Buffy had released Angelus, Spike’s world has turned from bad to worse.

Spike was wheelchair bound and stuck watching his Dru be taken time and time again by Angelus, sometimes even in front of him. She felt what he felt when he had come to her for help and his desperate will to fix things and make things right.

She felt his desire as he watched her fight and then how he had almost felt bad to leave her behind but knew if he killed Angel, Dru would never forgive him. She watched him struggle to keep Dru’s attention as she would prattle on about how he was unable to kill the slayer and instead was her partner. He watched Dru run away time and time again, as Spike would try desperately to bring her back to him.

She felt his desperateness to perform a love spell and felt his heart bleeding when he returned to Dru only to be kicked back out again, saying he was covered in sunshine and tasted like ashes.

She cried out as she watched herself scorn Spike over and over again for every good dead he ever did for her. Tears poured down her cheeks as she watched their five years together play out in front of her with Spike’s emotions tied to them. She felt his love for her and his dedication for her, and also the pain he felt at her death.

She watched as he and Dawn both cried and longed for Buffy’s return in a world where neither belonged. The excitement, hurt and confusion that he felt at her returned now filled her. He wanted her happy, yet wanted her alive and with him. She felt his agony over her pain and felt his worrying over her well-being. She felt his fear and anguish over how she treated him.

Buffy was so upset at the way she had made Spike feel, she wanted to crawl in a hole and die. She leaned against Spike as he held her tight, experiencing a similar situation.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike was lost in a flood of his own emotions as he watched Buffy’s short life filter in front of him. Her mother and father would have small arguments but nothing major until Buffy came of age and started slaying.

She was young, popular, and flowing through life without a care in the world until she met Maverick. His mate was forced into a world of darkness, and had to change her lifestyle in order to be the Slayer.

He watched as she trained with her Watcher, and even as she killed her first vampire.

He watched, from her perspective, as her parents fought over how to handle their rebellious little girl, eager to find a way to make her stop. Her parents disagreed on how to handle her and fought almost constantly.

Buffy continued to live her double life though, stopping vampires by night and trying to be a good student during the day, but her grades were slipping fast. She would have to constantly skip classes to solve a demon issue at school and would have to skip out of her popular life to save the world one vampire at a time.

She saved the world from Lothos and met a guy named Pike who eventually died along with her watcher to protect her. He watched her arrival in Sunnydale after her parents' divorce because of her final episode of blowing up the gym to protect the students of the school.

Buffy was then placed in a mental institution when she tried to tell her parents about her calling as the Slayer and they had deemed her crazy. He felt her fear and depression at how her parents hadn't trusted her and believed her and it made him cry out with sorrow with the depth of her emotions.

He felt her despair, pain, and saw her struggle to fit into her new life in Sunnydale after her release from the hospital. She was a demon/vampire fighter by night and student by day and it was killing her slowly. She met up with Xander and Willow the first day, glad to make friends. When Giles insisted he train her, she protested but eventually gave in, realizing her destiny wasn’t going to go away.

He watched her first death by the Master and felt her determination to destroy him.

Angel popped in and out of her life and became annoyed by how often he did so and how much she felt towards him when he did this. Angel had turned into some private personal hero in her eyes while in Spike’s eyes he didn’t do much of anything.

The intense pain the Slayer felt when smashing the bones of the Master made his heart ache. He watched their first meeting through Buffy's eyes and was surprised how she had thought he was hot at first glance. He then barely resisted a proud chuckle at how she was annoyed to find out he was a vampire. He also smiled seeing how he was right in thinking she did get hot off fighting him time and time again because now he could feel it.

His smile drained off his face as the vampire felt her distress over her issues at school and struggling with keeping up with fighting evil and dealing with her principal Snyder who had it in for her. He felt her panic over balancing too much on her plate.

He watched as she spent the night with Angel only to wake up to be rejected by Angelus and felt her pain as she had to battle against him. The pain he felt over the guilt that consumed Buffy over the death of Jenny came to him next. He could feel the agony of loving someone and watching as the person slowly turned it into an intense hatred. He felt her struggling with understanding the difference between a souled Angel and an unsouled Angelus. He felt how her mind carefully worked to rationalize it and understood why she struggled with her feelings for him.

He cried with Buffy as he felt her pain over killing him and felt bad for not being there for her. He never realized that Angel had returned only to have to be killed by Buffy's own hand. Spike watched Buffy run away and how she made a life for herself in L.A. and how hard it was for her to return back home.

He clutched her closer as he felt Angel almost drain the life from her when he was dying. He gasped as he felt her pain when Angel left her and was shocked by how powerful it was. Tears formed in his eyes as she watched Angel walk away from her forever.

The rejection that she felt when Parker slept with her then dismissed her filled his mind; followed by the embarrassment she felt when Spike reminded her off it.
He felt bad he had ever insulted her like he did and held her closer as he continued to watch her life flash before his eyes.

Riley appeared and then disappeared almost as quickly, leaving her in a whirlwind of emotions. She was mostly in shock over his leaving and he could kick Xander for convincing her to run after him when she really didn’t love him.

He ran his fingertips up her arm in comfort as he watched her emotions play over him as she found out whom Dawn was. He felt her fear when battling Glory and panic with trying to protect her sister after her mom had already died. He felt the pain she felt when her mom had died and watched the scene unfold before him where once again Angel walked into her life only to walk back out. He was angry with Angel for deserting her when she needed him the most but he didn't have time to dwell on his anger as the scene of her death flashed before his eyes.

Her death itself, the few moments before her afterlife had claimed her had been painful. He could feel the electricity coursing through her body until with one last painful breath, she was dead. He never realized that her death itself had been painful. He was surprised he could actually feel the peace that was around her while she was dead. She had known everyone was ok and that the world was safe once again.

Then he felt her feelings when she was brought back from the dead. He felt what she felt; lost, confused, pain and heartbroken. She had been at peace and now she was in horror. It was truly Hell for her and he couldn't stop the pain he felt just watching her relive it.
Spike was overjoyed when he felt her emotions while talking to him over the last year. She felt safe and comfortable. He watched as she reached out to him and wanted him but struggled with what to feel.
He let the tears flow even more as he felt her love for him and how badly she wanted to be with him but how afraid she was.

Spike vowed to stay with her always and keep her safe. He wanted to protect her and never let any harm come to her anymore.

He held her close, feeling both of their emotions mix as they found comfort in each other’s arms.