Author's Chapter Notes:
Well the battle is upon us. I'm so sad to see how close this is to ending but in a way excited to see the ending so near. Since I've already written and finished it, it's a bittersweet kind of thing. I hope everyone is still enjoying it!

Chapter 50: The Final Battle


 
After her trip to the market, she smiled as she walked back to the castle. She purchased an armful of goodies and a leather bag to carry all of the items.

For Spike, she bought a leather necklace that held a stone bear, and a leather belt. His was getting a bit worn.
For Dawn, knowing how interested she was in different languages, Buffy bought a book in this world's language; the books contents were of folk talks and legends. Buffy was certain that Spike would win their freedom so she bought the Scoobies gifts, as well. Willow and Tara would receive two herbal books. She hoped they would find them interesting and hopefully deter Willow away from magic. The Slayer wanted her friend to have a new hobby that was useful and a little less harmful. For Giles, she bought a history book of the dimension. Xander would get a tool belt filled with tools made out of stone and jagged rocks. And lastly, for Anya, she got a heart-shaped pendant that was similar to her pendant she wore as a demon.

Buffy was amazed by the wonderful discounts she received when she told the locals of her story and of returning home. She purchases flower bulbs, with the hope that they would bloom in her world.

When she finished organizing the gifts on the bed, the maid walked in.

“It is time,“ she spoke softly, looking down to the floor. Buffy nodded and scooped up Fuzzball and Dusty. The maid tried to insist not to bring her pets, but Buffy wanted to be sure, if necessary, she would be able to escape. She would be able to part with the items she purchased, but not her pets that she had grown to love.

On her way out the door, she grabbed Spike’s duster and wrapped it around her shoulders to protect against the wind. Also, to give the pets a safe place to rest.

At first glimpse of the arena, Buffy was amazed. It reminded her of a football stadium without the football field. The entire seating area was in a circle with a large pit in the center of it. The pit was completely closed in with walls around it. The walls were big stone walls. At first Buffy could see no opening but then she noticed that a wall would open and close again as people entered. She wasn't sure how sharp the walls were but they did look like real stone. The ground was completely made of dirt that wasn't even completely packed down. As the guards patrolled the arena below her, she could see the dirt get kicked up with their feet.

It was noisy all around her. The bleachers were covered with people. She didn't really recognize anyone so she decided to sit down by herself. She was about to set the pets down on the bleachers beside her when she heard a sound. Before she could turn around, a sudden tap on the shoulder surprised her; it was a guard who said she was to watch next to the King in the balcony since Spike was competing. It would be the first time she had ever spoken to the King.

Buffy followed closely behind the guard as they made their way to the balcony. She figured the King wanted her to sit with him in case Spike lost; that way, the King would be able to easily grab Buffy.

She sat down, in the seat provided, between the King and woman. The woman introduced herself as Madame Britia.

“Buffy. Spike’s mate,“ she politely responded. The woman nodded and gestured towards the arena below.

“Your mate will be competing first. He is competing for the release of one of the girls, is he not?“

“Yes, my sister. We aren’t from this world. She was taken from us and brought to this realm. Spike and I came to rescue her. Dawn has barely just turned fifteen and still in school. She is too young to be married.“

The woman said nothing; she didn’t agree with her statement because girls that age got married all the time in her world.

"Are you married?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I’m newly mated, though.”
The lady smiled. “Well congratulations. I hope you two are happy together. Are you nervous?”

Buffy shrugged, not knowing what to say and how much to say. She had confidence in Spike. She heard the King chuckle as the first guard was brought out onto the field.

She turned towards him as he replied, “That’s my best guard your Spike is going against.”

Buffy frowned. “Does anyone ever win?”

The King shrugged, noticing Buffy’s discomfort and he responded, “Sometimes. They become my guards, though, and are usually trained from birth. Your Spike is at a bit of a disadvantage but he’s a great warrior and fighter. If you were from this world, you would stay in the castle for the rest of your lives. I’ve never seen such a dedicated man.”

Buffy turned around to look at him in surprise and he smiled at her. “You have a good mate. I hope you realize this.”

Buffy nodded. “I do, don’t I?”

The King patted her hand and turned towards the witch who was casting a spell over the arena. The arena was suddenly covered in a clear hazy-like shield. The King took it upon himself to explain to Buffy what was going on.

“Engina, who is my prized witch, will cast a spell on your mate making him like us. Then as she’s doing now, she will cast a spell on the arena to make it so no one is allowed to enter that is not a warrior and involved in battle. This will prevent the audience from getting involved in the fighting if someone dies. Then she will cast a fire bolt into the air, signaling the first battle to start. The battle will start and a silence spell will be placed over the arena so that they won’t be distracted. The battle will continue until one is unable to continue, which is in most cases death.”

Buffy bit her lower lip and petted her two pets that were in her lap for comfort. The King looked down at her pets and frowned, obviously not liking them, or at least not liking them near him. Buffy decided not to say a word and ignore his dislike and watched the field. Engina had moved off the arena and Spike and the guard had entered the ring. Spike was wearing black leather pants, a tan shirt and plain leather boots. He appeared similar in make to the Natives she had seen all week. His skin was suddenly darker and from his head sprouted two horns. His eyes did not turn brown but instead stayed their deep blue color which made him easy to recognize. The guard against him was heavily armored which made Spike also stand out.

She heard Spike’s voice echo in her mind, ‘Wish me luck, luv.’

‘Good luck, Spike. But you won’t need it. Does it hurt to be a demon like them?’

‘No. It was an odd feeling the first time, but it’s just more painful to be injured. I also heal real slow as a demon. The horns are pretty nifty but rather pointless unless you know how to use them properly. You breathe and hear your heart beating, but besides that, not so bad.’

Spike could feel Buffy’s smile. 'Now remember, no distracting me, luv. Promise me.'

‘I promise. Good luck!!’

Spike chuckled. ‘Hopefully I won’t need luck as I have skill. See you soon.’

He closed the connection and Buffy folded her hands together, digging her nails into her palm, determined not to reopen the claim. She knew Spike would win. Somehow she just knew Spike would win for her and Dawn. He was her champion, her hero, and her warrior. He was her best friend and he would do everything possible in his ability to save her and Dawn, including dying. He had tried once and she had to die to save Dawn but this time, it would be his time to save her.

Buffy sighed as she watched the fight begin. They were moving so fast. Spike was dodging punches and kicks but barely placing any himself as the man’s armor blocked most.

She noticed Dawn was below the balcony and had been moved to stand over the arena. She was the one they were battling for control of so she had been singled out.

Buffy tried not to be distracted and instead watched Spike as he was kicked in the stomach and doubled over but jumped back up to his feet. He managed to hit the guard against him, in the neck, causing him to gasp in pain as Spike hammered him repeatedly with punches. Unfortunately, most just made dents in the guard’s armor.

Spike rolled out of the way of a kick and the guard landed on top of him, kicking him and punching him with all his might. Spike closed his eyes as he got nailed in the stomach, the thigh and the eye. Spike managed to roll over, gasping for breath as he staggered to the left. He managed to make impact with the guard’s face with his fist. He avoided the horns as he whammed on the guard one hit after another. The guard slammed his fist into Spike’s stomach, causing him to fall to the ground again. The guard used all his might and his metal armor to slam one hit into him over and over again. Spike just lay there as the guard got up and the count began.

The guard was ready to deal the final blow when Buffy decided to open the claim and speak to Spike.

‘Spike I believe in you. Get up and win. You can do it. You are strong and my champion, now show the world what a champion you are and win.'

‘Thanks, pet.’

Spike jumped to his feet, looking as if he got a second wind. The guard didn’t have time to look surprised because Spike delivered a powerful fist to his nose. He then spun around, throwing a foot into his side where the armor didn’t protect. Spike varied punches and kicks slowly beating the guard badly. The guard started swaying as he tried to punch Spike and missed. Spike’s wounds were bleeding badly but he was strong and confident as he spun around landing a blow right in the guard’s neck and knocking him down. The guard didn’t get up and told Spike to make it quick. Spike shook his head and the count began. He suddenly heard the lightning bolt hit the sky as the arena was reopened and he could hear the crowd cheering. Suddenly Spike's form returned to his vampire form and the fight was definitely over.

‘You did it. I knew you could!’ He heard his mate’s voice in his head.

Dawn was released into the arena where she ran to Spike, giving him a tight hug and shouted, “Thank you, thank you, Spike.”

Spike placed a kiss on top of her head, then he was lead out of the arena to rest and watch the remaining battles. Dawn was released to sit with Buffy.