Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys. I hope you all are still enjoying the story... I haven't received any good reviews for the last chapter. It is still early, though. Love everyone anyway :) I felt that there needed to be a short chapter after the intensity of the last. Hopefully, the angst will let up some, but I am following the direction its going, not the other way around. Keep reading, enjoying and reviewing!
A few minutes earlier…

“I’ll just,” she sighed, “I’ll just go. Goodbye William.” She tried not stepping on anything but the floor was completely covered. Buffy finally reached the door, turned the knob and walked out. William did nothing.

So that was it. That was what Buffy hid from him. She turned his life upside down in a matter of days to get back at some bitch with a god complex. And what a number she’d done on Buffy.

But Buffy hadn’t really known him and he never bothered to correct her assumptions. William knew the basics of what was going on, but he did not realize how deep it went. Buffy felt defeated because she blamed every monster Dru created on her self.

Even the plan itself was so far removed from her that Dru could not touch her. They were seen talking for a minute or two, but no one would connect William’s sudden change in attitude and appearance with her. It would seem completely normal for everyone else. But William did not give a rat’s ass about Dru.

And Buffy. She felt awful for everything she did, even when she was just trying to survive. High School was a highly regulated beast where anyone could be a target if they stepped out of the shadows. At least she was trying to stand up for her self, even if it was illogical and unrealistic to think it would be that easy to take Dru down.

He could not understand why she did not see how parts of the situation were his fault. The problem was that they both blamed themselves as opposed to considering joint responsibility.

And she said that she liked him. A lot. Didn’t she? ”You were kind and giving, gorgeous and passionate…” she had said. Perhaps he was not alone in this. Could it be she felt for him too? In point of fact…

It was at that moment he realized Buffy was gone. Whipping his head around, he searched his disastrous room for her. He got up and ran faster than he ever had to catch her before things went out of control. As he flew down the stairs, all he could think about was the hurt he felt when they were apart. He could not handle it if that were to be a forever deal.

William reached her while parked in his driveway. He opened the car door, pulled her out, set her against it, and kissed her passionately.

When the kiss was done, they looked at one another, tears in both of their eyes. “I’m sorry,” she whispered again.

“Buffy, I-“ Before he could finish, another car came into the driveway.

Rupert was home and he looked pissed as hell.

His father had comforted him, true, so he forwent most of his anger. However, if Rupert Giles made the situation any worse than it already was, he would never speak to him again.

Rupert busted out of his Citroen and went straight for Buffy.

“You! You are not welcome here. And if I ever, and I mean ever, catch you anywhere near the vicinity of this house or William I will call the proper authorities and have them deal with a bully like you.” He was utterly menacing as he hunched over the petite girl, his eyes ablaze with fury.

“Dad, stop!”

“William, I can handle this,” Rupert said with a side-glance before he turned back to Buffy. “I think it would be best if you left now.” William saw Buffy’s lip tremble in fear and in an attempt to stop her self from crying. It was an emotional day, but this was getting ridiculous. William could not stand seeing girls cry, least of all Buffy. And the fact that it was his father… Even if he was trying to look out for his best interests, even if he was trying to protect him, Rupert needed to stop immediately.

“Dad!” William yelled. “Back the hell off!” This made Rupert turn to face him.

“I am doing what is best for you, William. This girl… the one who left you in that state of mind… you are just going to forgive her?”

“Dad, this is none of your business! Now I think it would be ‘best’ if you backed away Right. Now.” William was fuming and twice as menacing as Rupert. He raised his hands in surrender.

“I just do not understand you, William. You love her, you hate her, you want her, and you hate me. I cannot keep up with you anymore.” William went silent and looked at the ground at his admission. But maybe Buffy would only see it as the ramblings of a crazed father. He looked up again to see his father flounder back to his car and Buffy’s surprised face.

“Buffy, I-“ he tried to pick up where they left off before his father perhaps ruined everything.

“You… your father said that you…” he could see the wheels turning in her head.

“Oh, he is such a wanker. In his mind, I am still five years old and he needs to fight my battles for me.”

It seemed to work. Buffy let out a breath of relief that actually made William feel worse. Then, she picked up the previous conversation as well.

“You kissed me?”

“I just didn’t know why you had to run off so quick. I thought we could, you know, talk. You didn’t even give me a chance to process, luv.”

“Please William, if you are going to tell me off just do it. I just can’t take this stuff anymore.”

“I’m not going to, pet. Next to nothing you said was your fault. Don’t you get it? Don’t you see? It was always Dru and that ponce Angel. You were a puppet-

“I was NOT a puppet-“

“You WERE a puppet and Dru was pulling your strings. Now, stop blaming yourself and realize that I am still standing here. If I really hated you, I would have let you drive off.” Buffy thought about this and gently smiled. It was a long time before she replied.

“So, what do you supposed we do then?”

“I think we should turn the plan up a few notches, and change some of the key factors obviously.”

“Key factors? Like what?”

“Like me not liking Dru in the first place?”

“YOU NEVER LIKED DRU?!” she yelled in shock. William could barely contain his laughter.

“No! I never liked Dru, not ever, not for one single second.” He was incredulous.

“What?!” Buffy was in shock. William’s adoration for Dru was the source of all her recent problems, and it wasn’t even true? She still could not see how it was possible. “Then… then why did you agree to the plan?” And then it was William’s turn to be silent.

He could not come up with a convincing lie, so he told the truth. “Because you asked me to.” Well, more or less the truth. Buffy looked at him for minute with a strange, unreadable expression.

“I- I have to go home, William.” When William was about to protest, she held her hand up and continued. “It isn’t you, I promise. I think, I think I just need to go home.”

She walked solemnly to her car and drove away. William stood on his front lawn dumbfounded. He wished he could read her mind. These games were beginning to weigh him down. Literally.

William fell onto the soft grass with a wet, packing sound. All he could do was wait. He could do that. Couldn’t he?

He played the days’ events in his head over and over and over again. Eventually, it put him to sleep.

……………………

When William awoke, he saw the silhouette of a figure block out the sun above him.

“Buffy?” he said hopefully.

“No, my sweet boy,” replied a similar British accent, “It’s me.” William looked closer and his breath hitched in his throat.

“Dru?”


Chapter End Notes:
Haha! I am evil! Stay tuned for more :)