Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! I am sorry that most of you did not like the last chapter... I just needed it to move the characters along. At the rate they were going, they wouldn't get together until who knows what chapter. To clarify, the ending of the last chapter (10) occurred OUTSIDE. I am not sure why so many readers misinterpreted that, but I will look back and edit accordingly. Anyway, thank you so much for the reviews, good or bad :) Enjoy!
William stood up, unsure of what to do or say. He remained motionless. After a moment of awkwardness, she began.

“So… spending time with Buffy?” she stared at him with an unnerving fierceness.

“What of it?” he growled, trying to keep back the anger that threatened to come out full force. What Buffy said about the bitch made him want to throttle her.

“Well, I am her best friend.” Dru looked nonchalantly at her nails. “I expect your intentions are,” she quirked her head to the side, “honorable?”

“What are you even doing here? How do you even know where I live?” William clenched his teeth.

“Ah ah ah,” she wagged her finger back and forth. “bad dog. Answer the question.”

“Yes, I have honorable intentions. I wish I could say the same for you.”

“Excuse me? You don’t even know me!” her lips curled back in fury.

“I don’t have to know you. Your reputation may keep you at the top of the food chain, but that doesn’t mean shit to me.” She gasped in horror.

“How dare you say that to me?! Do you know what I could do with one word? Just one, and I could have the entire student body riding you specifically because I say so.”

“You think I give a damn?” Dru glared at him for not taking her threat seriously. “Honestly, I don’t see why you would think that I would care about ‘the student body riding me’. I may not know you, but you know nothing about me. You are a bitch. That’s right, yeah. Can’t hide behind your queen bee status or your jock friends now, can you.” She said nothing, but William could tell she was seething. He rather enjoyed it and thus continued. “You are asking me if my intentions are honorable? What about yours, hmm? Buffy’s life is not a game you can manipulate to your liking. Maybe it used to be, but not anymore. Get over it.”

“I see our little princess has found a knight in shining armor to protect her from the big bad.” her voice shook in pure rage. “But you are forgetting that she is mine. I own her. You may be off the hook, but she would not be able to handle what I could put her through.”

“Then why do you even want her around?” he yelled. “What is wrong with you? You may have the rest of them fooled, even Buffy, but not me. You and I both know that you have nothing. Being on top looks fun from down here, but living up there, you are alone. The truth is that Buffy is the only real friend you have left, now that the few people remaining at your side are too afraid to be friends with you at all.” William wasn’t close to finishing, but he had a feeling she would soon cut him off. “I have only seen you around a few times, but without fail, you have teased to get a rise out of me.

“So, what are you doing here?” he continued forcefully. “What, did you think? That you could just take me away from her like all the other guys? Well, forget it. She is done being your slave girl.” Dru was quiet and red faced. “And if you don’t leave her alone, I will personally” he took a step closer “ruin” then another “your life. You may be able to, what was it you said, ‘ruin someone with a word,’ but I can ruin you all on my own.” Nothing was as terrifying as William when he wanted to be. And he had to hand it to himself; the verbal throttling was coming along well.

For a moment, William saw the vulnerable girl behind the mask. He figured her out and she knew it. But when the moment ended, Dru backed away, stuck her nose in the air and ‘hmph-ed’ her way back to the sidewalk. He guessed she lived somewhere nearby. How else would she know where he was or where he lived?

Either way, William was proud of himself. He put her in her place, even if just for a moment. That was all Buffy had wanted.

He had to tell Buffy. William wanted to run to her, but knew she needed space. Too bad the space between them was killing him. He longed to touch her, taste her again. But space. If she did not have it, he might never have another chance.

It had been a long day. William went back inside his house and collapsed on his couch, exhausted.

……………………

Buffy did not know where was going. She just needed to drive somewhere: somewhere far away, though her confusion addled brain made it difficult to follow the signs on the road.

She needed guidance, but she had no one to turn to. She certainly could not count on any of her ‘friends’, her mother was away at an antique show in Paris and her father was gone. Buffy had never felt so alone in her life.

It seemed like everyone in high school was alone. It wasn’t like any of them could relate to their parents. Friends were dispensable, but were held onto for dear life. Everyone was afraid of falling from grace, being picked on, being the outcast. In the end, everyone was alone.

But it was supposed to come together at some point, right? That cathartic moment in which all the pieces fell into place? If it was shown so much in books and movies and songs, how could it not be possible in reality? No matter how unlikely or how scattered the chips fell, every moment in your life leads up to some great happenstance. Buffy wanted desperately to see the light at the end of that tunnel, but all she could see was grey.

First, there was Dru who made her life a living hell. For so long, Buffy blamed herself for Xander and Angel. But William made her see that it was Dru all along. She did not want to admit it, but he was right: Buffy was a puppet and allowed Dru to pull the strings. That, at least, was her fault. She let it happen.

And for what? Fear of ostracism from a group that was looking less and less appealing by the day? Fear of being picked on, just like every other kid, minus her circle of friends. She just had to stand up for herself. Buffy had to stop running and face her problems.

Yet, her conclusion did not make it any less petrifying.

And then, there was William. He was sweet and wonderful and not at all like she thought. He was gorgeous from his electric blue eyes to his taught, alabaster skin… The more she thought about him, the more she wondered how deep her feelings went for the boy.

His father mentioned him loving and wanting her. Was it true? At the time, she had brushed it aside as the ramblings of an obviously disturbed man. But now, it all was cloudy. William had not looked enthusiastic exactly when his father mentioned the details, so maybe it was all in her head.

But what if it wasn’t. What if he really did have feelings for her that went beyond friendship? Looking back upon the last few days she noticed certain telling comments and expressions that gave support to the idea.

Buffy had kept herself at a distance from William in an attempt to go through with the plan sans emotional attachment to the subject. It occurred to her that the events in question happened ridiculously quickly. Why did she feel the need to start right away with him? Maybe if she had spent time planning the attack better, her little scheme may have made more sense in the realm of cause and effect.

It was all his fault. He made her feel for him with no proof of him feeling the same way. She was full of him. He was always on her mind when they were apart. She wanted to spend time with him. And when they made out earlier, Buffy was just as willing as he was.

And then it occurred to her that she had been willing. She wanted it and she wanted him. Buffy swerved the car around and sped to William’s house. Halfway there, however, she realized that he needed some space from her. So she would give him all the space he needed.

For now, anyway.


Chapter End Notes:
:D