Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey! Thank god for your reviews, guys. I was really worried for a while that the story was becoming terrible. You have no idea how much it means to me that most of you are still on board. I just hope it stays that way ;) This chapter took me a little longer than usual, but I think it paid off. Get ready for some twists! Please review and enjoy!
Why he thought he was dying before, he did not know. Nothing during their separation compared to the never ending hours that lead to Friday night.

William sat beside his bed staring into space. He looked at the clock for the fiftieth time that hour; it was 6:15pm, exactly a minute after the last time. He needed to find something to do and fast because he seriously considered walking to Buffy’s house, even if just to stand outside it.

Since school ended, he cleaned up the tornado that was his room. Of course, it was not the same mess from two weeks prior. That particular disaster had a massive overhaul of its own. William was embarrassed by his overreaction on that day. He did not mean for Buffy to hear or even see that side of him so soon. Yet, it might be better for them in the long run if she knew upfront.

Since ‘the day’, Rupert constantly hid in the basement, which slowly turned into his home office. They had not spoken more than a few phrases here and there to one another. Both confused and still angry, the Giles men could hold a grudge as long as it took to sort out.

He searched his room for an anecdote for his impatience. William then saw his guitar, beckoning him from a heavily shaded corner. Chuckling about its new name, he crawled over just enough to reach Spike’s neck and brought it back to his position from earlier.

Sitting it on his lap, William brushed his hand over the polished mahogany. He said he was not great when Buffy asked if he played He did not feel particularly remarkable at playing the instrument, contrary to his friends’ opinions back in London.

When things got tough for him, too tough to deal with, William played his guitar and sang his songs on street corners, in pubs, or anywhere else that would take him. He never used to leave home without it. Spike there had seen some gloomy days indeed. Lately, however, the need to play did not even cross his mind. It seemed like more energy than he could muster or he forgot it was there at all.

But now that it lay on his lap, the familiar and indescribable emotion washed over him, purifying him. William cracked his knuckles before he placed his calloused fingertips on the habitual chords, but let his hand fall moments later.

William did not want to play the songs he knew by heart, but rather the song his heart sang when with Buffy. Giving his fingers free reign, he strummed out the passion that filled up his chest and lungs with her. He recalled her scent, her dazzling smile, the giggle that did him in every time, and tried to capture her in the melody.

……………………

Rupert stood behind his door, simultaneously overjoyed and melancholic by the sounds of his sons’ particular gift. The melody of the song overwhelmed him. And while he was proud of William, he wished he could play without the engulfing promise of pain or pessimism going along with it.

He debated interrupting him with the news, but instead walked away. He needed William in a good mood when Rupert told him.

It could wait another hour. Or two. Three was the absolute most.

……………………

Buffy was not a patient girl. Yes, the situation between her and William finally began moving along again, although more quickly than perhaps would have been advised. William came to her! That thought throbbed everywhere. HE wanted her. HE could not handle being alone anymore.

HE did not want Dru. That made her smile.

She went to her closet to pick an outfit for the next night. Buffy went from rack to rack in search for something that said, “I am comfy and sexy, and I didn’t try too hard picking this out, but I actually did try for you…” It was a complicated process.

At first, Buffy went for a hot pink, low-cut sparkly halter-top and brown leather pants. Discarding it for being a little too much for the occasion, she next went for black, form-fitting sweat pants and a long-sleeve, red button-up. She discarded it as well because it looked like she didn’t try at all. Third time was a charm: a pale blue sundress that was hemmed just above her knees with spaghetti straps and a v-cut neckline.

She prayed William would like it. The girl glared at the clock for the millionth time because it was only 6:30pm, and barely any closer to their date.

Buffy scavenged for something to occupy her time.

……………………

8:30pm

It was now or never. Rupert Giles never knew what to expect from his emotional son. However, he would be shocked if William was happy for him. He knocked on his door expecting the worse. The melody stopped and he heard a muffled, “Come in” from inside. Now or never, he repeated inwardly.

“William, we need to talk,” he spoke as calmly as possible, hoping his nerves would not betray him. He wasn’t afraid of his son; he was afraid of William’s emotional fluctuations becoming too drastic for him to handle. Rupert put him through a lot through the last few years and no one knew it better than him. He felt the regret, the unsaid apologies, and the self-loathing course through his veins every morning and night. Every time he looked at William, the boy seemed more broken and it was all his fault. That was why he needed to explain this carefully, without getting into a fray.

Rupert began to consider alternatives; anything other than saying what he was about to say. William’s quizzical and impatient expression brought him back. “Right…” Rupert held back the urge to clean his glasses, which was a nervous habit, but, his boy needed to know how strong he felt about it. “William, I have something to tell you and I want you to listen to me until I finish, ok?” He nodded hesitantly.

“Tomorrow night, I am going on a date…”

“Wait, what?!”

……………………

Buffy was singing loudly along with her stereo.

I would swallow my pride,
I would choke on the rinds,
But the lack thereof would leave me empty inside,
Swallow my doubt
Turn it inside out
Find nothing but faith in nothing.
Want to put my tender heart in a blender,
Watch it spin 'round into a beautiful oblivion.
Rendezvous, then I'm through, now I’m through with-


“Mom?” Suddenly, Joyce Summers stood in her doorframe. “Mom!!” Buffy ran and hugged her. “I have missed you so much.” Joyce kissed her forehead lovingly.

“I have missed you too! Oh, life has been so tragically dull without you.” She held Buffy closer, then pulled away slightly. “Honey, I don’t want to bombard you but we need to talk about-“

“Wait,” she interrupted. “I just want to bask.” Buffy smiled joyfully and watched her mother smile down at her. “Ok, I’m done basking. What are you doing here?! I thought you needed to be in Paris until the end of the month!”

“Well, this is what I needed to talk to you about. Come darling, sit with me.” Joyce led her to the bed and held her hand.

“It’s not something bad is it?”

“No, nothing bad sweetie. It is wonderful news. I am engaged!” Buffy’s jaw dropped.

……………………

“What do you mean you have a date?” William voice cracked in distress.

“I mean what I just said. I have a date, her name is-“

“What is wrong with you!” he said with clenched teeth.

“William, I am trying to explain this to you,” Rupert’s calm demeanor was wearing thin. “I have a date tomorrow night. She is a lovely woman. I think, if you could give her a chance, you would really like her.”

“How could you do this to Mom? How could you do it, again?”

“William, your mother left us! We are NOT together anymore! There is no chance of her coming back. It is better if you understand this now instead of waiting for a day that will never come.” Rupert suppressed the urge to throw and break something.

“No! No, y-you are betraying her and you are betraying me!” He tried to keep his tears at bay.

“I am not betraying anyone, William!”

“Stop saying my name like that!”

“Like what?”

“You were expecting me to react like this, weren’t you? You feel you have to deal with me, like it’s your stupid ass job!”

“No! I had no idea how you were going to react. You are like a ticking time bomb and I never have any idea what is going to set you off. It is just a date!” William glared daggers at his father.

“Oh! For God's sake! This is nonsense.” Rupert took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “William, unfortunately, this is not a discussion. I came to tell you in advance what was going to happen, I do not need your permission. I am the adult in this dyadic nonsense.” With that said, he turned around. “Life is difficult enough, William. You don’t have to make it harder for yourself,” he finished quietly as he shut the door behind him.

William was dumbstruck. His father, Rupert Giles, on a date? He was probably right about overreacting, but how did he expect this to turn out?

He did not make life harder on himself… did he?

……………………

The stereo continued to blast as Buffy stood in silent chock. “E-engaged? Since when?”

“Well, when I was in Paris I had my weekends free. One weekend, a couple friends and I decided to go to London. Oh, it was beautiful Buffy! I really must take you there. Anyway, I was wandering around the city when I bumped into this bumbling man. At first, I thought he was rude, but he was just so adorable trying to stuff his groceries back into the bag. Long story short, we have been dating for almost four months and he asked me to marry him! And I know, it is so soon. But we are in love! I just cannot pass it up!” Buffy never saw Joyce look so happy in her entire life. She did not want to ruin it for her.

“What about Dad? Won’t it be bad for his career if you up and marry someone else?” Joyce pouted.

“What about him? I am not allowed to fall in love with anyone because he says so? We haven’t been together for years and he knows it!” She was speaking more to herself than to Buffy.

“Well, are you going to get a divorce then?

“I… I really don’t know. I mean, I will have to eventually.”

“I think,” she wanted to support her. “I think it is a great idea.”

“Really? You really think so?”

“Yes. I think you deserve some happiness.” Joyce jumped up and hugged her daughter.

“Thank you so much darling, your approval means everything to me. And don’t you worry about a thing. Everything is going to be perfect.”

Although she had a smile plastered on her face, she somehow doubted it.

“Oh! I almost forgot! If we get married, you are going to have a new step-brother! He’s your age, I think.” Suddenly, everything clicked: London, the bumbling man… Buffy prayed it was not who she thought it was.

“What’s his name?”

“Hmm?”

“The guy, the one you are engaged to. What’s his name?” Buffy crossed her fingers, but she was almost positive that it was-

“George Aurelius. You know, Angel’s father?”

Oh crap.


Chapter End Notes:
Bet you weren't expecting that :D Stay tuned!