Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! Happy Valentine's day, again! I hope you all enjoyed the last few chapters because there isn't going to be much Spuffy for a while. But if you read it, it will come ;) Please review and enjoy!
On Saturday morning, the lovebirds awoke to the small slant of light coming from the attic window. William was surprised that they slept through the movie, especially when it blasted in surround sound. Buffy yawned prettily as she stood and stretched her arms above her head.

“Good morning,” she yawned again.

“Morning, luv. Did you sleep well?”

“I think so. You were all comfy.” She giggled and he went up to kiss her. William stroked her cheek and she batted her eyes and leaned into his touch. “I’m still sleepy though,” she cooed.

William looked at the clock. “I would think so, pet. We slept for almost twelve and a half hours.” Buffy swerved her head around in surprise.

“Oh crap!” she smacked her forehead. “My mom’s in town and I didn’t even come home, or call or… damn it!” Buffy ran and bounced around the room as she tried to force her feet into them. It was perhaps the most adorable sight William ever witnessed. He struggled not to laugh. He pushed the door open below him and she practically bolted down.

He slowly followed her to the front door where she stood with her arms painfully crossed and her foot tapping wildly in annoyance. Giving up on waiting, Buffy ran to him halfway down the main staircase and kissed him lightly. Just as quickly, the girl flew down the stairs again and out the door. He heard the gravel in the driveway give a little as she screeched away.

While William hoped she didn’t get in too much trouble, he could barely breath with happiness. He fondly watched after her, but inside he was spinning.

It didn’t matter in the least that he and Buffy did not go all the way. In fact, he was glad they waited. It would give him more time to prepare. While he could not believe she still had her virginity, he was happy because of it. Just the thought of any man other than himself having her like that set his blood aflame. But William wanted it to be special for her. It was definitely something to think about.

After a few minutes, he turned around to retreat to his room. An irritated Rupert towered above him and blocked his way.

“We need to talk.”

……………………

Buffy wasn’t used to the presence of parental authority in her house. She normally did whatever she wanted, and because she never got into any trouble, her parents generally stayed away. They trusted her. Well, her mother did anyway.

It suddenly occurred to her that with the possible upcoming nuptials, she might never have the same freedom again. And being related to Angel? What would that be like? Buffy never met his father considering they only had two dates. She had no clue what kind of man he was. She did trust her mother’s judgment, however, and if Joyce and George were in love like she said they were, then everything would be fine.

This was true of course as long as her father took the news well. She shuddered to think of the power he had over them, financially and politically. While she doubted Hank Summer’s would stand in the way of his wife’s happiness and that he would hurt them in any way, Buffy also did not know him very well.

She drove into the large circle of blacktop as quietly as possible. The sight of her mother’s shiny red convertible near the unused garage made her nervous. Buffy really did not know what to expect; the last time Joyce Summer’s was home long enough to care if she was out all night was when she was twelve and had no means to do so.

Buffy opened and closed the front door, then tiptoed to her room. Joyce was waiting for her there.

“Where have you been?” Joyce huffed angrily.

“Out with William.” Buffy wasn’t sure what she was supposed to do, so she continued to stand awkwardly in the doorframe.

“And who is William?”

“He’s my boyfriend. But it’s totally new and everything, so…”

“And you stayed out all night with a boy you hardly know?!” Joyce thrust herself up.

“I know him!” Buffy was suddenly furious in defense of William. “And where do you get off yelling at me? You’re always gone! What, suddenly you’re back and you expect me to adhere to rules you never made?” Her mother looked down. “Yeah, that’s right. And what about this engagement, huh? You didn’t even think of Dad or how this would affect my life, did you? You didn’t even tell me you were dating anybody!” Buffy was getting flustered.

“Buffy, you have no right to speak with me this way. I am your mother and I expect you-“

“Oh shut up!” she sing-songed. “You may be my mother, but you never mothered me. All of this, the house, the car, the clothes… it’s just stuff. It doesn’t make up for the waiting, day after day, for someone to stand up and be a parent for once.” The tears welled in her eyes as she poured out her long-pent up frustration. “I never once asked you to do anything for me. Not once. And I did it because I thought that you’d…” She couldn’t find a way to finish her speech as she collapsed to the floor crying. Joyce bent down and pat Buffy’s shoulder awkwardly, not knowing exactly how to comfort her daughter.

“Buffy, sweetie, it’s all going to change now! Your father and I will work this all out and now I will get to stay here with you permanently.” She smiled.

“What, so now you have a reason to stay? I wasn’t reason enough, mom?” Buffy glared at her with bloodshot eyes and Joyce’s smile fell.

“Honey, it isn’t like that. I had work and friends to visit and-“

“Things to do that were more important than spending time with me.” Buffy stood up defiantly. Seeing the hurt on her mother’s face, she softened a bit, even though it was the point to her tirade. “Look, I know there were other factors and I accepted that a long time ago.” However, a new burst of rage blew through her, thinking of the many lonely hours wishing for her mother to come back to her. “But it doesn’t make you any less of a bitch for what you did to me! I had no one! No guidance, no protection, no one to say, ‘it’s ok, Buffy. Everything will be alright, Buffy.’ Can you imagine what that’s like? You know what? Get out. Get out of my room, get out of this house, get out of my life!” As her mother ashamedly turned and walked out, Buffy shouted, “It’s too damn late for you to care!” Joyce looked back at her for a moment, then shook her head and continued to walk down the hallway.

Buffy angrily slammed the door, jumped up in down while clenching her fists and growling at no one. For all of her yelling and pointing out of her mother’s failings, she honestly felt bad for coming down on her like that. Also, by lecturing she made her mother leave. Again. Buffy was alone once more.

……………………

William was worried, to say the least because his father peered at him through slitted, suspicious eyes. “What about?”

“I think you know what about, young man,” he said.

“Buffy?”

“Buffy.”

“What about her?” William clenched his teeth, ready for any insult his father might provide. While he hoped Rupert had something nice to say about her, both his past ‘concerns’ and his current expression proved otherwise.

“I just hope you know what you are getting yourself into.” He brushed past Rupert, not willing to fight.

“William?” he begged causing him to turn back around. “Please, just… please just listen to me. I’m tired of fighting and running around in circles. Can we just have a conversation, you and I?” The honesty in his fathers’ voice both saddened and terrified him. Nonetheless, he nodded in staccato and sat on the living room couch. Rupert sat opposite him on another.

“Alright, now hear me out and no interrupting. Last night, I saw you with Buffy.” William opened his mouth to defend himself, but Rupert simply lifted his hand gesturing for him to stop. “Please, just listen. Last night, I saw you with Buffy. Now, I don’t know what happened between you two and I don’t want to. I want to make sure, however, that you know what you are getting into.

“This is the same girl who caused your breakdown?” William stared at the ground, listening against his will. “And yet you went back to her. I am not judging you nor am I telling you what to do, I just think you ought to, well, think about what this girl is worth. She obviously means a lot to you and as far as I can tell it is mutual, but your moods lately... you're up, you're down and it changes so quickly that I can’t keep up anymore. We fight all of the time, you know just as well as I. The fact that I’m speaking to you now in this manner is a complete mystery to me. But I wonder if she the reason. What is she doing, how is she changing you? And is it a change you want?

“I have seen you change your appearance over the last few weeks and that is natural for boys your age. But is she changing you as a person? Is the William she likes the same William that you are? I know you two have been… intimate… and again, I don’t want to know. But I do know that when you put your heart into something, that’s it. I just don’t want you to do that with this girl only to have her splatter it across the floor. How much do you really know about her? Is she reliable? I’m not trying to keep you two apart; I’m not. But please promise me you won’t see her, at least for tonight, and think about what I said. And then, if you still want to be with her, you have my full support.”

Both were silent for a time. Eventually, William muffled, “Ok,” and went up the stairs to his room. Rupert hoped he did the right thing.

……………………

She did not want to be alone. Buffy picked up her phone and called William. It rang a few times until she heard his tired voice.

“Hello?”

“Hi, William?” She sounded slightly more hysterical than she hoped.

“Buffy? Are you ok?”

“Yes, I’m fine. Can you come over?”

“Why?” Buffy was quiet, not understanding why he didn’t care enough to ease her obvious pain.

“Because I’m upset and lonely.”

“Oh.”

“Can you please just come over? I really need you.” She was desperate now.

“Buffy, I would, I really would. But I have to stay home tonight.”

“Why?” she whined.

“I just… I have to stay home, ok?” he was getting irritated at Rupert, but Buffy did not know this.

“Oh. Ok then. Talk to you later.”

“Bye Buffy.”

“Bye.” She stared in bewilderment at the phone as it clicked off. What was wrong with him?

……………………

William put his head in his hands. He promised Rupert he’d stay home, and for once he would do so. Buffy’s pleading echoed in his head, though, beckoning him like a serpent of temptation.

He was in deep trouble.