Author's Chapter Notes:
I think I am starting to get the hang of this. Leave comments, reviews, criticisms. They will all be appreciated. Just know that I'm still new at this, so don't be too hard on me :) Enjoy!
Buffy was seething,

“Give you a chance? Didn't you see anything that just happened? You’re just like every other boy who walks through here thinking Dru is all that. I don’t get it! What is it about her that you all find so attractive?!” Buffy was now talking to herself more than him, but the crowd closing in did not escape her notice. “Why am I even talking to you? Ugh.” She walked out of school in a huff. Her exit would have been picturesque had her backpack not swung so hard that it fell on the ground. Irritated and embarrassed, she picked it up and tripped over herself trying to get away.

William was unsure of what happened. One minute they were talking, and the next she was yelling at him. Despite everything, he had to force himself to stay put. His legs itched to run to her, to comfort her. It was a strange feeling considering he just met her. And although he was upset over the comment calling him ugly, he could not hold it against Buffy. Obviously her emotional breakdown was not about him. He looked around to find the crowd dispersing. He heard a skinny blonde girl gossiping to a dark haired cheerleader.

“I heard she’s on meds. I don’t get why Dru still hangs with her,”

“I know, especially after what happened over the break,” the brunette replied.

“Angel is so much better off without her. She’s just so… like… I don’t know. You know?” the blonde articulated.

“Totally.”

The two girls headed back into the school. William couldn’t help but wonder what happened that made her so emotional. Buffy seemed so mixed; one moment she was sarcastic, the next she was sweet, then angry as hell. He could not keep up with her and he had only known her for an hour. And while he typically would forget about someone so obviously confused, it only made him want her more. And as he walked back into school for second period, he vowed that he would do anything to make her his, no matter what it took. Too bad he did not have a chance.

……………………


Buffy took one look back at the bewildered boy and immediately felt horrible for allowing her emotions to take hold of her. Perhaps this was why guys never felt for her the way they did for Dru.

After her explosion in front of school, Buffy thought it best to skip out for the day. She could not handle Dru’s face after the morning she had. No doubt she had already heard about the incident and was making fun of her behind her back. Buffy did not know why she was still friends with Dru. Originally, it was to get a boyfriend. It was not as difficult as it could have been due to her father’s obvious wealth. But after the tragic experience over break, she did not think she could handle being friends with the black-haired beauty for much longer.

She remembered how excited she was when Angel, the most popular boy in school, asked her to homecoming. She and Dru gossiped and laughed, spent hours picking the perfect outfit. While she missed those naïve days, she knew now that none of it was real. Buffy could never trust Dru again. But there was no way to escape her in school. Dru waited for her after class, saved a spot for her at her lunch table, acted like nothing was wrong between the two. Buffy did not wish to be the object of ridicule ever again, so she let it happen. But after her emotional outburst, it seemed, she had dug another hole for Dru to bury her in.

And what about William? He was just another boy who may have caught her interest in the old days, but no. Now Dru got first pick. In the old days, Dru was a geek with braces and not a hint of style. Then, suddenly, she turned a corner and was immediately accepted into the "cool group".

Originally, it was only a convenience that Buffy remained her friend. After a while, however, she realized that there were rules to her life now. She was not allowed to wear certain colors, be friends with certain people and most of all she couldn't like who she wanted. Buffy was trapped in Dru’s carefully enforced restrictions until graduation. So, Buffy played the role of the perfect best friend. Giving up everything and everyone she loved to stay on top of the food chain.

Buffy found herself standing in front of her house, tears welling in her eyes. She felt weak and helpless. Knowing her mother was out, Buffy went through the open back door. She dropped her backpack on the kitchen island and ran upstairs. She fell onto her bed and began to cry.

It was not fair that Dru got everything she wanted! Buffy had wants and needs! But it did not matter to the real “miss high and mighty”. Where did William come off judging her, anyway! They spoke for almost five minutes, and he decided he already knew her. He did not have a chance with Dru, who only dated older musicians and ‘deep’ jocks who had been kicked off their sports teams for drugs and other obscenities. If only William was cooler, he could have Dru crawling for him. That would show her. It would teach her that she knew nothing about boys and she should give them a chance, like the boys in school never gave Buffy one.

This gave Buffy an idea: make William the perfect guy for the girl who considered him flawed. Maybe it would put Dru in her place while having no connection to Buffy. Her plan was not the most logical, she would admit, but then again things in Sunnydale rarely were.

……………………

The rest of the day went by in a blur. William could think of nothing but Buffy. And it didn’t change when he got home.

“William? Is that you?” said a voice from the living room.

“Yeah, it’s me."

“How was school?” William looked around at the stack of untouched moving boxes.

“How was unpacking?” he looked accusingly.

“Well, I was… my shoulder hurt.”

“Aw, poor Dad, afraid of the big bad boxes.”

“I can unpack boxes!”

“More like a ‘watcher of boxes’ if you ask me,” William snickered.

“You will not speak to me this way!” Rupert looked at his son’s face and sighed. “I’m sorry. I know that it has been hard on you these past few weeks…”

“Weeks? Try years!” he retorted.

“Fine. I know it has been hard on you, and for that I’m sorry. I cannot control where my job takes me. I’m trying my best.” William was silent. He looked down at the floor as if it was suddenly very interesting. “I wish I knew what to say.”

“School was fine.”

Rupert smiled, “How original.”

“Never said I was.” After another moment of silence, William looked up. “I have homework. I think, I’ll go do that.” By the time Rupert thought of a response, William had already reached the top of the stairs. Rupert sat in his chair and ran his hands through his hair.

Upstairs, William flopped onto his bed and thought more about Buffy. If he could draw, he would have done her portrait. But he imagined it would not even come close to her. He feared where these sudden, but strong emotions would lead him. He wondered what tomorrow would be like, or if he had ruined everything already. Instead of pondering it further, he took out his marble notebook and pen and began writing poetry that could not even compare to Buffy: his effulgent angel.

He thought it might take the edge off.


Chapter End Notes:
All character names belong to Joss Whedon (the MAN)