Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! I'm really trying to pump this story out, but its becoming increasingly difficult. I don't think there are going to be many chapters left, but nothing is set. I am so happy that you all have stayed with me! Please review and enjoy!
The plan was in motion. Buffy still didn’t trust Angel and it was possible that he continued working for Dru, but then why would he give up all of that information? Unless all of the information was false…

Buffy didn’t want to consider the possibility. For now, she and William would go through the motions set in place and get Dru off her high horse. Buffy was probably the only one who knew Dru well enough to pull it off. That was the ice queen’s biggest mistake: letting Buffy in to her world. Everything she could do, Buffy saw or was a part of. Now that she had allies, perhaps the plan would actually work.

She could only hope.

The scheme was a gradual thing. Knowing Dru would only believe a realistically slow break down of a relationship, Buffy and William avoided each other in the hallways, argued under their breath. At least to Dru’s knowledge. Everything they ‘argued’ about was regular conversation in hushed tones and the avoiding thing wasn’t hard when they had different classes. Besides, they would make out in the janitors closet whenever the opportunity presented itself.

After school, they would go to Buffy’s house to collaborate with Angel. Angel spent the two weeks praising Dru and telling her how the plan was finally working and that he was about to start phase two of her ingenious plan. Scarily enough, Dru was buying all of it and that fact made Buffy very nervous.

On Wednesday afternoon of the second week, she voiced her concerns to her lover.

“William?”

“Yes luv?”

“What if we can’t trust Angel? He came to us so fast… I just can’t help thinking that he’s still part of her plan and her plan is to be part of our plan but really to bring us down.” William laughed.

“Wanna say that ten times fast?” Buffy stared at her steering wheel as they reached her estate.

“I’m serious! What if he’s still working for Dru?”

“Don’t worry about it, kitten. Anything he wants to throw at us, we’ll throw right back. We can fight this Buffy if it all goes wrong. And if it goes right, then that’s great! High School isn’t quite the kill or be killed Rambo scenario you make it out to be.” Buffy thought about this and nodded her head, but she knew that William could not understand Dru’s influence.

“Ok.” When they got out of the car, they were surprised to see Joyce running toward them.

“Buffy! Fantastic, you are home. Honey, I need you to pack a small suitcase because we are going to visit your father. I’m getting a divorce.” Joyce smiled ecstatically and Buffy frowned.

“But mom, I have my own stuff to do!”

“Buffy, you are not going to ruin this for me. George and I are in love, you and Angel are getting along and it’s time to move this marriage further along. So go get some clothes and things. I’ll wait for you here.”

“Mom, I have… tests and stuff! And why do you need me to go with you anyway? Why can’t I just stay here?” Joyce made a strange face for a moment, and then it was a happy one again.

“Because I said so, darling. Now go get your stuff.” When Buffy didn’t do as she was told, Joyce pointed her finger toward the house dramatically to make her point. The young girl and her boyfriend trudged up the stairs and into her room. She slammed the door.

“What are we going to do now? The next step was going to happen tomorrow. This is ruining everything. “ Buffy paced as William considered the problem.

“Buffy,” he said calmly, “You know I don’t want you to go. I hate being away from you for a minute, let alone a few days, but this won’t ruin the plan. Maybe… maybe this is what you need. To clear your head, get away from Dru and doubting Angel’s loyalties. Maybe you should spend time with your family.”

“But I don’t want to go away without you.” Buffy’s lip trembled as she sat on the bed next to him. He hugged her close and rested his head on the top of hers.

“And I don’t want you to go at all. But it doesn’t look like there are many options here.” William ran his hand through her soft, blonde hair. “We’ll be together soon enough. Where does your father live, anyway?”

“Washington D.C. He’s a politician; I don’t know what kind or what he does, though. We don’t see each other or talk much.” Buffy snuggled closer to him.

“Can I hide in your suitcase?” he joked. Buffy giggled, but was quieted by the serious consideration she had for that idea. “I’m kidding, luv,” he said as he looked her in the eyes.

“I know… but it’d be kind of funny to watch you try,” she replied as she made light of the conversation. William chuckled as well.

“Come on, pet. Let’s pack a bag.” William was trying to be strong for her, but inside he was yelling not to let her go. However, he knew it was for the best.

……………………

After a sorrowful goodbye, Buffy and Joyce Summers drove into the distance. The girl argued to stay, but her mother refused to listen. She even threatened to take away time with William. So, Buffy sat in the passenger seat like the dutiful daughter, dreaming of the day she would come back. Joyce told her it would only be a few days and to stop being so melodramatic.

Buffy wondered why her mother was bringing her to D.C. in the first place. She said it was to see her father, considering those times were few, but she wondered if there was something more behind it. Nevertheless, there was nothing to do but wait.

They reached the airport in forty-five minutes, almost missing their flight. Only five hours to go until they reached their destination. Buffy stuck her forehead on the icy window and stared at the cars that shrank in the distance.

Goodbye town, Goodbye home, Goodbye William she thought.

……………………

Goodbye Buffy, he thought as a plane passed overhead. It could have been hers, but he didn’t know. William kicked the pebbles on the sidewalk all the way back to his house. He felt a piece of him missing that only she could bring back: Buffy, his golden goddess, flying away a million miles per second. He looked back up to an empty blue sky. It seemed ill fitting in relation to his state of mind.

William took a detour along the few streets that made up Sunnydale. About a block away from home, he came to a small, yellowed house with peeling paint, like a decaying tooth in a mouth full of pearly whites. In the window, he saw a girl with raven black hair and a cross expression. It was Dru’s house.

Dru was pondering in what he assumed was her room on the second floor. For a minute she looked, as much as he hated to admit it, desperately sad. The look on her face showed the tragedy of the world tenfold. William wondered what made her so upset. Then, he remembered her reputation and the things she said and did to obtain it and understood.

Or maybe he was assuming too much; maybe she was upset over something completely unrelated to the wretched existence she created for herself. Dru had no real friends, no relationships that meant anything. William might have felt bad for her had she not hurt Buffy: an inexcusable deed as far as he was concerned. He shook his head, stuck his hands in his pockets and walked home.

By the time he reached his house, it was dark outside. William hadn’t realized how long he’d been walking. He opened the door and yelled to see if his father was home, but he wasn’t there. Rupert, he surmised, was probably out on another hot date. At least someone was happy.

William sat on the couch and attempted to not think about her. Unfortunately, all of his thoughts shared at least a tiny significance with his girl. He fell back and went to sleep missing her.

……………………

Joyce shook her awake when they reached D.C.

“Come on, Buffy, we’re here. Time to see Daddy,” she cooed. Buffy grunted in response. Eventually, she was able to wake her up long enough to get off the plane. She fell asleep again when they got into a taxi. Joyce unreasonably wondered if her daughter had mono.

Buffy woke up again when the taxi stopped in front of a large, silvery building. The sun glinting off of the windows made it difficult to see how high it was. It seemed a very cold structure to Buffy. Mother and daughter walked in and received guest passes.

The elevator reached the 23rd floor after 21 irritating blings. The doors opened on the other side of the mahogany room and displayed a waiting room. Every tabletop was covered in granite and the walls looked like they were sewn or covered in golden, silk threads. A secretary with a headset looked up at them suspiciously, but put the receiver of the phone call on hold.

“How may I assist you this morning?” she said with a saccharine grin.

“I am looking for my husband, Hank Summers? Is he in today?” Joyce replied in the same tone. The secretary pressed a button on her earphone.

“Hello, Mr. Summers? Your wife is standing at the desk.” She paused with a blank face, and then smiled just as sugary as she said, “Go on right ahead. Second door to the left.”

After a sickly sweet thank you, Joyce and Buffy made their way to his office. Buffy straightened out her blouse and Joyce primped her hair slightly. They took a large breath, nodded, and turned the doorknob. They saw a balding head peeking over the top of his black, leather swivel chair. He didn’t face them, but spoke loud enough for them to hear him perfectly.

“No.”

“What do you mean no?” Joyce crossed her arms and squinted at him in attempt to be menacing.

“We aren’t getting a divorce.”

“How do you know that’s why I’m here? Maybe I’m here for a completely different reason.” Hank spun around to face them with a strange expression.

“Because there is no other reason you’d come to visit me with your daughter.” He stared at the large desk separating them.

“My daughter?! She’s just as much yours as she is mine!”

“Buffy, honey?” Hank spoke softly, but with an intensity she remembered. “Would you please wait in the waiting room?” Buffy looked at her mother who was frozen in her angry stance and nodded at her father. When she shut the door, she tried to block out whatever fighting would come out of it.

The secretary did not seem pleased to see her again.


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned!