Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far. I am getting a better idea of where this is headed. If you are waiting for the steamy stuff, just hold on cause it is coming up soon. I am pretty sure there isn't going to be any S/other or B/other, but I can't make any promises. Please review! :)
Buffy gave him one brilliant smile and that was it: William knew he was doomed.

“Ok, so do you have any plans this weekend?” Buffy stated, though considering he was new in Sunnydale, she knew the answer.

“Not exactly.”

“Great! Let’s get started now.” Buffy grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the twin front doors of the school.

“Now? But doesn’t the weekend typically start on a Saturday?”

“We need to get started as soon as possible.” Seeing his confused demeanor, Buffy let go of his hand. “Look, you said you would do this, right?” William nodded. “You have been at school for two days now. You cannot let people notice you yet. Otherwise, they will consider you this great, big poser and then Dru will know. The whole plan will fall apart and you won’t be any better for it. I want this to work. No, it needs to work.” Buffy looked down sadly. She thought about the past few months and how they had changed her: Angel, the ridiculous antics of Harmony and Cordelia, losing touch with her old friends, and most of all Dru. “It just has to,” she whispered.

“It will.” William said looking straight into her eyes. Buffy stared back, completely and utterly lost in their cerulean depths. She subconsciously took a step closer to him. His lips, she noticed for the first time, were full and definitely lickable. She took another step. Buffy was drawn to him; she could not deny it. And when their faces were only an inch or two apart, William spoke hoarsely, “Buffy?” This immediately broke Buffy out of her trance.

“Sorry, I must have been… I have been pretty spacey lately, so you know. Ok! Shall we?” Buffy once again grabbed his hand and dragged him through the doors. In doing this, however, she missed the longing and desire William emoted.

“No need to yank at me, luv. But if you’re willing, by all means…” William smirked as Buffy let go and swatted his arm playfully. They walked to Buffy’s car in comfortable silence. Buffy pulled out her keys, jumped into the front seat and waited for William to join her. For some reason, he did not get in right away.

“What? Do you need a formal invitation? Get in.” Buffy giggled. Minus his earlier comment, he seemed so innocent, so unsure of himself. She decided that she would work on that with him before the weekend was through. For a moment, Buffy wondered why she trusted him so completely so quickly. But she just as quickly waved the thought away. “Strap yourself in. I am taking you to the place where dreams come true!”

……………………

William was in hell. Or, he would have been had it not been for Buffy remaining at his side. But the place where dreams come true? He laughed inwardly at his own stupidity. Where else would a teenage girl go to change a man?

“Don’t you just love the mall?” Buffy said with a gigantic smile and for a moment the mall seemed like the most wonderful place on earth. They went from store to store, and William watched as she looked through every clothing rack with a furrowed brow. She was trying to choose the look that would suit him best, or so she told him after what seemed like the fiftieth store. They had been there for hours and William was developing mall feet, a condition only rumored to exist, but now was proven very real.

“Yeah, its great!” He plastered a smile on his face even though she did not turn to look at him. “Do you want to maybe sit down for a while?” William pleaded through his faltering smile.

“Are you sure we can’t go to just one more store?” She looked up at him with her gorgeous green eyes and he could not deny her anything, even if he wanted to.

“Ok. One more. Then, we sit.” That’s right; he was putting his foot down. It was a sentiment he stuck to as they paraded through several more stores. William looked at his phone and saw it was 7:15. Rupert would not be happy with him for staying out this late without a call. “Buffy, I didn’t think this would take so long. I have to call my Dad.”

“Sure, go ahead. I’m going to go into one more store. Then, we can go and eat. I’m starving,” she said as she examined the clothes in her hands.

William dialed the number and waited. It rang a few times until a tired voice picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey Da, it’s me.”

“Where have you-“

“Just wanted to let you know I’m out.”

“Do you know how worried I’ve-“

“So, I will come home a little later then expected, ok?”

“Now you listen here, young man. You will not-“

“I’ll talk to you about it later. Now I have to go!” William whispered angrily into the phone. He slid the phone shut, praying his father would not call back. Time on the phone meant time away from her. He felt a tap on his shoulder. “Huh? What?”

“I said, ‘I finally found you clothes to wear!’” Buffy held up at least ten bags from the last store she picked, jam-packed with clothes. Although glad that the day was winding down, William did not know how he felt about her spending so much money on him.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to chip in?

“No! I put you up to this so I am paying.” Buffy said decidedly.

“But this… this is just too much.”

“Seriously, don’t worry about it. My dad is loaded and he gives me this little plastic card to make up for the absence of a father figure in my life. It really takes the edge off.”

“Um, great then!” William sighed in relief because he certainly did not have the funds to chip in. The statement was more out of politeness, and William had a feeling Buffy knew that. He smiled at her in all earnest. “Food now?”

“Food now.”

……………………

They walked side by side to the food court. While William headed straight for Taco Bell, Buffy went for the healthier sandwich place. When they were seated, Buffy stared at him as he ate his greasy food. “You know the food they use at that place is graded lower than dog meat?” Buffy said distastefully.

“Really?” William stared at his food suspiciously. “Oh well,” he smiled as he shrugged his shoulders.

“You are still going to eat that?”

“But it’s just so good!” he exclaimed just as a giant glob of cheesy meat plopped out of the side.

“Ugh! It looks like its giving birth!” William playfully brought it closer and closer to her mouth. Buffy shut her eyes and squealed. “Don’t!” she giggled and he smiled again. After a few minutes of relaxed quiet, William spoke up again.

“So… why do you hate Dru so much?” he asked nonchalantly.

Buffy’s body instantly became rigid. “Why… why do you ask?”

“Well, you are going to all this trouble to get back at her; I figured she did something to piss you off.” Buffy was silent. “Am I wrong?”

“No.”

“No, I’m not wrong?”

“No, no. I mean,” she sighed. “No, you are right. But does it really matter what happened?”

“Buffy…”

“Are you sure you want to know?”

“I asked, didn’t I?” William tilted his head curiously. “Why do you keep putting it off?”

“I don’t want you to think of me badly, ok?” Buffy finally lifted her head. Her eyes were glassy with unshed tears, and William immediately regretted barraging her on the subject. She looked so vulnerable for a moment.

“ I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-“

“No, it’s… It isn’t you. It is just,” Buffy sipped in another breath. “Can we just drop this?” William nodded, pained by the sudden sadness in her eyes that he had caused. She switched moods so quickly; William had a hard time keeping up with her. In an attempt to change the subject, he went on.

“So, what is next? Hmm? Are you going to give me a hat and a little drum? Tell me to dance like a monkey? Because I am four square against that idea.”

Buffy gasped, “How did you know?”

“Can you keep a secret?” Buffy nodded encouragingly.

“I’m psychic,” William whispered. Buffy snorted out the little amount of sandwich she had just taken a bite of. He decided it was one of the cutest things he’d ever seen. “Knew I could get a smile.” The two stared at one another in unspoken understanding. “But really, what is next?”

“Well, that would ruin the surprise, now wouldn’t it?”

“You know that makes me nervous, pet?” Buffy took her tray, stood up and walked towards the trashcan.

“Not saying a word,” she sing-songed. William trailed behind her like a puppy.

“It’s not bad, is it luv?” Silence as she trotted ahead. “Buffy?” She turned around, smiled mischievously, and then turned back ahead. He laughed nervously, “Are you trying to get me back?”

“Is it working?” she said without looking back.

“No!” he shouted, even though it obviously was. It was also obvious to the five or six mall people who stared at him.

“Come one, stop being a scaredy cat!” she yelled over her shoulder. William stopped for a minute and looked after her.

“Scared my ass…” he mumbled as he jogged to catch up with her.

……………………

Buffy was glad she got him to go inside at all. William had put more of a fight then she expected when she stopped in front of the Salon La Mode. Buffy basically had to drag him in, despite his chorus of, “No, no, no, no!” “I like my hair! I like it the way it is!” and “Buffy this is ridiculous”. She had to physically hand him over to Lorne, the flamboyantly gay and spectacularly talented hairstylist. Not that Lorne minded, exactly, calling him man candy throughout the process.

Regardless of his protests, Buffy was confident that he would be satisfied with the end result. She and Lorne decided to cut, bleach and spike his hair. A huge change, she had to admit, but boy was it worth it. She had pictured what he would look like after the 8-hour process, but she did not expect the gorgeous hunk that stood before her when it was done.

They did not let William look into a mirror for fear of him running out of the salon while it was still in the orange step of bleaching. So when his hair was finally finished, Buffy was lost for words.

“Now that’s a man!” Lorne exclaimed as he hugged Buffy. She stared wide-eyed. William looked frightened, which only caused Buffy to laugh.

“Oh you big baby. Look!” Buffy spun his chair around. “See?” William took one look at the mirror and was silent for a moment. Then, he screamed in the most high-pitched tone she had ever heard.

Lorne and Buffy exchanged looks of shock. “What is wrong, sweety? You don’t like it?” he purred, trying to calm William down. The bleach blonde stared at the mirror with incredibly intensity. He did not say anything for a while. But the longer he remained stoic, the more upset Buffy became. And when William took one look at her face, he immediately smiled.

“I like it,” he said.

“Don’t lie. You hate it!” Buffy began to pace behind him. “Oh my god! I am so sorry, William. I know I was trying to help, but I went too far and-“ William spun around to face her and grasped her hand. She saw him rub soothing circles with his thumb. His hands were rough, but still soft on her palm. He slowly lifted his head.

“No, I like it,” he said, more convincingly this time. Buffy barely heard him because of the overwhelming sensations he was giving her.

“Uh huh,” she said, not paying complete attention. It seemed more and more difficult to process thought as continued doing that. Apparently, they had been in that position for a while because Lorne ‘ahemed’ to show his presence. William dropped her hand as both teenagers looked away shyly.

“Boy, if I had known you cuties were already into each other, I would have-“

“No! No, it’s not like that.” Buffy stuttered. William just looked up at her.

“I… I just wasn’t expecting that drastic of a change,” he said hoarsely. He cleared his throat and continued, “I’m growing to like it, really.” He looked at her happily. Buffy decided that he was being honest, then jumped up and down clapping her hands. Lorne joined her shortly thereafter.

“Ok! Let’s go home and show your parents!” Buffy exclaimed joyfully. William’s smile fell a little.

“Let’s?”


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned ;)