Author's Chapter Notes:
Betad by seapealsh and dawnofme - two lovely ladies! Banner by dawnofme
"Oh balls to this!" Spike grabbed his duster, pulled open the hotel room's door, and strode through it, slamming it with a very satisfying crash behind him.

Dusk had fallen over an hour ago and Thomas still hadn't returned for him.

"I'll bloody bite him when I see him."

Spike's stomach growled as he thought of blood. He rubbed it as he left the hotel and paused, trying to decide what the best course of action would be. Back in the day, the problem of being several miles from home would have been an easy one to solve. Pick a nice car. Eat its driver and go as far as the fuel in the tank would take you. But now… With a sigh, Spike set off walking along the road and stuck his thumb out each time a car's headlights came up behind him.

He'd promoted Thomas's punishment from bite to tear limb from limb when a car pulled up beside him. Ducking down, smiling his most charming of smiles, Spike's hand touched the door handle before he froze. Vamping out he almost ripped the door off the hinges as he wrenched it open.

"Hey, Spike! Sorry I'm late." Thomas's cheerful voice added to Spike's fury.

Spike replied with a feral growl.

"I got you some blood – human and everything." Thomas dug into a bag in the foot well of the passenger seat and tossed him a plastic bag of blood.

Snatching it from the air, Spike had it halfway drunk before his backside hit the leather of the seat. Twisting around, Spike began to say something before he noticed the smell. He raised his nose and inhaled deeply.

"What the…?"

"Oh, sorry about that. Forgot you have the nose of a bloodhound. The reason I'm late…" Thomas glanced over his shoulder before pulling back into the traffic, "is that I met this great girl and…well, time went quicker than I realised, because—"

"You shagged her." Spike glared at him.

"Well, actually, no."

Spike's eyebrows rose in disbelief.

"I mean it. We just…talked. It was amazing." Thomas grinned at Spike. "I never thought I could do it, you know? Be with a human and not even snack. But she's different. She's…"

Thomas's words faded into the background as Spike screamed inside. The Slayer! Thomas picked up bloody Buffy!

Taking Spike's silence as interest in what he'd been up to during the day, Thomas babbled about Buffy all the way back to Sunnydale. Spike was heartily sick of things such as honey gold hair, pert nose, and the way she kisses…

*~*~*~*

"Honestly, Willow, it was the best day ever!" Buffy sighed dreamily as she sprawled on her bed.

"Yeah." Willow's sigh was more weary than dreamy. "I know. You've told me, like ten times already."

"Aw…come on, don't begrudge me this, Will. I had a day at the beach with a normal guy, who just happens to be gorgeous. I mean, this is the Hellmouth. What are the chances of me being able to have a day like that?"

"Sorry, but if you tell me about his abs, and how he bought you the teeny tiniest blue bikini one more time, I swear…"

Buffy grinned. "It could have been worse – we could have gone skinny dipping and then I would have been talking about his—"

"Enough!" Willow put her hands over her ears.

With her grin turning into a pout, Buffy swung her feet over the edge of the bed. "So, do you want to go to the Bronze?"

"Will you be talking about Thomas all night?"

"Uh…probably."

"In that case, I'm going to stay in and work on my psych assignment. Like you should."

"Sorry, Will. I'm just too wired to do schoolwork. You don't mind if I go, do you?"

"No – go – have more fun." Willow waved a hand dismissively. And bore Xander to tears instead of me.

Buffy had a quick shower, changed into a pair of jeans and a pink shirt, pulled on her favourite boots, and then waved at her friend as she hurried out of the room. Once outside, she strode along, arms swinging in time to her steps. She was finding it difficult to hum the tune she wanted to, because she kept grinning like an idiot.

*~*~*~*

Spike strode along, grinning like an idiot. He'd finally managed to shut Thomas the fuck up by knocking him out and leaving him bound to the bed. Now he needed to get well and truly pissed as he tried to erase all the 'oh, what a lovely day we had' shite from his mind. He wasn't sure why he didn't just tell Thomas that the girl was the Slayer, but it didn't seem right somehow. If Buffy wanted him to know, she'd tell him.

He cocked his head and paused mid-stride. Is that? Ducking behind a tree, Spike waited. Sure enough, the light tread of a girl headed his way. He waited until she'd passed him before he strode out and whispered in her ear, "Is that Wind Beneath My Wings, pet?"

Buffy whirled round, slammed him against the tree he'd hidden behind and rammed the point of a stake against his chest.

"Spike!"

Spreading his arms wide, Spike smiled, pushing his tongue behind his teeth. "Ooh, you get me all hot when you act all masterful."

"And one day I will stake you." She let her hand fall to her side.

"You know you don't mean that." Spike fell in step with her as she walked away.

"I do, Spike. I really do."

"Anyway, where are you going looking all perky?"

She rolled her eyes. "Perky? You really need to work on those pick-up lines."

If I told you I thought you were the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, you really would stake me.

"Stop staring!"

"'M not."

"You were. And why are you walking with me?"

Spike sighed. So much for his hope that the friendly Buffy of the night before would remain. And why should it? She'd been messing about at the beach all day with someone who made Adonis look plain.

"I'm just going for a drink." He pointed in front of them. "The Bronze is that way and that's the way I'm walking. I take it you're going there, seeing as you have to buy me a drink."

"Buy you a drink? For one, I'm not old enough to buy liquor, and two, why should I buy you one anyway?"

Leaning in close, she felt Spike's cool breath on her ear. "So I don't tell your little pals that you were humming Wind Beneath My Wings.

"You wouldn't!" Buffy grabbed his arm.

"Evil, yeah? Course I bloody would!" He smirked and pulled out of her grip. "Why the hell were you humming that garbage, anyway?"

He knew he shouldn't have asked as soon as her expression softened.

"I just had a really nice day, for the first time in like…forever."

Feeling a total git for begrudging the nice day, Spike gritted his teeth and said, "In that case, pet, why don't we do our best to make sure you have a really nice night." He resisted the urge to put innuendo in his tone or expression, though he wasn't sure how the hell he managed it.

Eyes widening in surprise, Buffy glanced up at him. "You really mean that."

"Yeah." He avoided her gaze. "It's good to see you happy." And I am the world's biggest ponce for saying that when I know who you've been with. He knew his love for her was real, because he really was glad she'd had a nice day no matter who she'd spent it with.

"Well, in that case you can start by buying me a drink. Do you promise not to disappear like you did last night? I don't think Xan will be there and I know Willow isn't."

Swallowing hard to make sure his voice didn't come out a strangled squeak, Spike said, "I won't disappear when I know you need me." Ever!

He was rewarded with a brilliant smile that made his insides churn. They strolled in companionable silence to the club and once inside, Spike was pleased when Buffy opted for a table for two beneath the balcony.

"I'll get the drinks. Coke again, is it?"

"Do you think you can sneak me something alcoholic?" Buffy laughed as Spike's jaw dropped. "What?"

"It's just…" Spike shook his head. "Forget it. One alcoholic beverage coming up."

"Something that tastes nice." Buffy called after him.

Whilst she waited for his return, she tapped her fingers on the table. Why do I feel like I've got to make it up to Spike for being with Thomas?

"Weird."

"What's weird, love?" Spike slid into the seat opposite, and held out a glass to her. "Here's your drink."

"Uh…nothing." She reached for the glass and stared at the beads of condensation that were wetting his fingers. "Coke?"

Spike just tilted his head and smiled as she pouted. Frowning a little, Buffy took a sip and gave a shudder, before grinning at him.

"Doesn't taste too bad, does it?" He'd laced it with a good measure of vodka.

"No, it's fine…it's nice."

Leaning forwards, Spike's wet fingers touched her nose. "Got a bit of sunburn there. Is it sore?"

"Not really, but that feels good."

He dropped his hand away, shy all of a sudden, as she met his eye boldly.

"Er…yeah…well…" Spike gave up. He wanted her so much that he began to worry that he might just break down and cry right there in the Bronze.

"Least sunburn's not so bad for me, as it is you." She took a gulp of her drink and smiled.

Thanks for reminding me. Spike looked towards the dance floor, and couldn't quite believe what he was going to say now. "So… you said you'd had a nice day out?"

"Yeah. I enjoyed it. I mean who wouldn't. Warm sun, cool sea, gorgeous…"

If she says guy, I'll sodding stake myself!

"…sandy beach."

"Well, like you said. It wouldn't be on the top of my 'things to do' list." Spike sighed and wished he'd gotten himself something stronger than a Bud to drink.

"Can you remember what it was like?" Buffy pushed her hair back from her face and rubbed the back of her hand over her still damp nose.

"The going out in the sun?" Spike's brows furrowed as she nodded. "Been quite a while." He glanced at her and saw that she didn't want a glib answer, that she wanted something more.

"I miss the colours," he said after a pause.

"Colours? What do you mean?" Buffy waved a hand. "This place is full of colours."

"I mean…flowers and trees and…stuff." Another glance reassured him that the piss wasn't about to be taken. "Uh…back in the day, I used to take my mum -- before she got too ill -- for walks in the park. I loved the flowers. So bright, even on a dull day, you know? So, yeah, miss the colours more than the sun itself." He gave a shrug and the corner of his mouth twitched up. "Being in London, we didn't see that much of it anyway."

Buffy giggled, and Spike thought if he dusted now, he'd die happy.

"So…your mom was ill?" Buffy's expression sobered.

"Yeah. Consumption. TB it's called now. Horrible, bloody disease."

"I'm sorry." She touched his hand with her fingers and smiled as he looked up in surprise. "How old were you when she died?"

The pain that flitted across his face was enough to make Buffy entwine her fingers with his. "I'm sorry…it's none of my business."

"'S alright. Long time ago. She…died…not long after Dru sired me." His eyes closed as he willed away the image of staking his mother in front of the fireplace.

"I always wondered. How did Dru sire you?"

He rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand, hardly able to believe they were actually holding hands.

"The usual way. She bit me." He grinned at her. "Hasn't your watcher taught you that yet? Or do you think vampires are brought by the stork like babies?"

Buffy pulled her hand away from his and cuffed him on the arm. He'd had to stifle a moan when their hands parted, and had to work even harder to keep from moaning when she laced her fingers through his again.

"Idiot! No…just how did you meet?"

More unwelcome images. "She was in London with Angelus and Darla. I just happened to be walking past them, going home from a party. Dru caught my scent and that was that. One sodding painful bite later and the next I know, I'm clawing my way out of a makeshift coffin. Stupid cow had buried me. She'd never sired anyone, and Angelus being the sick traditionalist that he was had let her family bury her, so I reckon she thought it wouldn't take if she didn't do it to me too."

"But why you?" Buffy wasn't sure why it was important, but it was.

Losing himself in Buffy's eyes, Spike found himself telling her the truth…well, part of it anyway.

"I was a bit upset. I'd just…had words with…my girlfriend and—"

"What do you mean, words?"

"A tiff," Spike said quickly, "and no, I can't remember what about, probably about showing me a bit of ankle or something." I'm not sure what's going on tonight, but I'm not mentioning the poetry! No way!

She smiled at him as if she knew he was lying. "Sorry… tell me what then?"

"Like I said, Dru got my scent and followed me for a bit. Then she made her move." His eyes lost focus as his mind drifted back to that alley. "Found out later that she could enthral people and I think maybe she enthralled me." He screwed up his nose. "Maybe not. She was the most exotic thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't take my eyes off her."

"Oh."

Spike focussed on Buffy. That 'oh' had been laden with something. Disappointment? Jealousy? Don't be fucking stupid. Being with Thomas all day has probably affected her senses.

"Remember, love. This was the eighteen hundreds. A bloody orange seemed pretty exotic."

He smiled as Buffy giggled.

"You've seen so much."

"That I have. That I have."

Noticing that Buffy' glass was empty, Spike pointed at it with his free hand. "Another?"

"Uh…yeah, please."

Spike drained the last of his Bud and strolled to the bar, fervently hoping that Xander wouldn't show up to ruin things. He could feel Buffy's stare on him, but resisted the urge to turn around as he waited to be served.

Don't move. Your ass just looks perfect.

Chuckling to herself as she admired the view, Buffy wondered why she was in the Bronze with Spike. It hadn't been in the hope of seeing Thomas, because he'd explained that he'd already had plans to visit with a friend. So why?

Because you knew that if he'd just stop being so snarky he'd be good company. And he is.

Although loath to admit it, even to herself, she'd been thinking about Spike a lot lately. He was the only person she could really be herself with. Sure Willow and Xander all knew she was the Slayer, but neither of them could really understand what it meant. Spike could.

"Penny for them?"

Spike sat opposite and slid her drink across the table.

"Not worth it." She took a sip and then scowled. "Hey! Where's the liquor? This is just plain Coke."

"Self preservation, Slayer. Not having you seek me out tomorrow for getting you drunk." And I want to know that you want to be near me – not just 'cause you're pissed.

"Might stake you because you didn't." She smiled as a new tune came over the sound system. "Ooh! I love this song!"

Downing his triple JD in one swallow, Spike stood up and held out his hand. "Would you care to dance?"

His eyes twinkled, but Buffy saw something else there too. Uncertainty. Vulnerability. And, she realised with shock, love. Rising on legs that suddenly felt a bit weak, Buffy nodded, "You can dance?"

He took her hand. "I'm Victorian born and bred, remember? 'Course I can bloody dance!"

Holding her quite formally with her left hand in his right and his other at the small of her back, Spike began to move to music.

"It's not a waltz, Spike."

She moved in closer and rested her head on his shoulder. Her hair tickled Spike's nose and he doubted he'd ever been happier than he was just then. Emboldened by her actions, Spike dropped a kiss on the top of her head. Buffy glanced up and he swiftly looked anywhere but at her.

A small hand cupped his chin and drew his face back to meet her eyes.

"I'm sor—"

His apology got no further as her lips met his. He corrected his earlier thought. There was no doubt. This was the happiest he'd ever been. Their lips parted only when someone bumped into them. For a moment, they gazed at each other, but the spell broke as Buffy pulled out of his arms.

"I shouldn't have done that." Her fingers traced the surface of her lips.

Spike reached out for her. "Wasn't complaining." His dead heart clenched as she dodged his hand.

"I know…but…it's…I can't…" Buffy backed up further. "Look, I've got to go."

And with that, she was gone.

Fists clenched so tight his fingernails cut crescents in his palms, Spike stared after her, blinking rapidly.

"Oh, bollocks."



Chapter End Notes:
Please make a little writer very happy and take a moment to comment :D