Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait, but here is the next update. The story is going to, well, get "going" soon enough. I just need to get everything set up first. I hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am. Maybe if I get a bunch of reviews I will post another chapter tomorrow because this one is so short. But we'll see how the muse feels about that. Please review and tell me what you think!
Buffy practiced her lines during meals, in class, between classes, at home, when she wasn’t working on her scenes during rehearsals and even while brushing her teeth. She had performed in several Shakespearian play before, but she had never received such a large role in one of them. Helena was a critical role and Buffy planned on doing it justice.

Spike, on the other hand, did not practice. Instead, he did the usual: he hung around with his friends, drank, was reckless, and skipped school. Strangely enough, however, he never missed one rehearsal. His friends kept asking him why and he always explained that he didn’t want to get into any more trouble with the principal than he had to. But that wasn’t the real reason. In fact, Spike was actually enjoying himself.

But he would never admit that.

Before practice every day, Buffy waited and prayed that Spike would suddenly choose not to show up. Then, one of the others could take his role instead. Something about him just irked her. She also began to notice an increase in thinking about Spike Williams. While he never seemed important enough to waste time thinking about, his sudden presence in her life drove her insane. Buffy decided, like any studying actor, to place her frustrations into the frustrations of her character. Her fellow actors commented and praised her progress, but on the inside, she was screaming.

On Friday, Giles reminded everyone about the rehearsal on Sunday from noon to four. Everyone groaned equally, but sure enough, everyone was equally just as excited. Everyone, that is, except Spike, which is why the director spoke to him specifically after practice that day.

“Spike?”

“Hmm?” he said without looking up as he packed up his bag.

“I wanted to know how you were getting along with your lines?” Spike stopped what he was doing as he realized he had been caught. Although he was surprisingly enjoying the experience, he was never prepared and he knew it; he just hoped no one would catch on. He was apparently wrong.

“Um… fine, I guess,” he muttered. Giles began to clean his glasses as the rest of the cast made their way out of the auditorium.

“Because I was hoping maybe we could have chat?”

“A chat?”

“I see you working very hard and I realize this is your first time on the stage… however, you do have a lead and many people are depending on you and your performance…”

“And?”

“And… well, um, you see…” his glasses found their way back to his face and he decided how to explain himself. “Spike, I need you to work harder. I am simply not getting enough from you and if you do not begin to deliver the level of excellence I expect from you, I will be forced to give the role to another student who will.” Spike’s stomach dropped. Fired from the play? To hell with that. For the first time, he felt a real connection to something constructive and no one was going to take that away.

“So… you want me to memorize my lines faster?”

“No! Well, I mean, yes that would be great, but you have just as much time as everyone else. I just think that you should work on your lines more. You know? Really try to get into your character’s head. Do you think you can do that for me?”

“Yes. I can do that.” At least he thought he could.

“Great! I know you can. I will see you on Sunday!” Giles waved behind him as he turned back to his clipboard. Without another word, he grabbed his stuff and left with the others.

Spike was at a loss. How could he get help? Who would he get help from? He could barely understand the words, let alone begin to memorize them. He knew he was far behind the others, but he did not realize how soon he would have to catch up. But just then, he saw Buffy Summers out of the corner of his eye.

She was talking with Xander Harris and Willow Rosenberg as they were leaving. Buffy looked so happy with them, just playing and laughing. Spike smiled at the contagiousness of her sparkling grin. But he shook it off and shuddered when the ridiculousness of the sentiment occurred to him.

He was sure his plan would work as it was simple: get Buffy to help him with the play, outshine her in the performances, watch as she gets jealous of the praise he would receive and relax as the principal got off his back. Settling on this course of action, Spike quickly bundled up his jacket and backpack and ran to the three friends.

*************************************

“That is such a lie!”

“No, it is not!”

“Yes it is!” the red head exclaimed. “There is no way that Seymour and Audrey could end up together. I mean, come on! They are eaten at the end!”

“No! I’m serious, in the ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ movie, the plant is electrocuted, Seymour wins, he and Audrey get the little house in Levitt Town and there is a tiny Audrey II in the garden.” The blonde retorted.

“I can’t believe that! What is the point of changing the ending like that? It’s ridiculous!”

“It’s not ridiculous! I think its sweet!”

“Is not!”

“Is too!”

“Is no-“

“Ladies, ladies, ladies,” Xander interrupted. “We are all adults here, there’s only one way to settle this… jello wrestling.” The three teens cracked up in hysterics as they flew down the stairwell to the main entrance of the school. Spike jogged to catch up.

“Wait up!” he yelled. Xander and Willow looked at him than each other curiously. Buffy did not even turn around. Spike noticed her shudder in annoyance. “Hey guys,” he panted. He really ought to have stopped smoking.

“Hi… I guess. What’s up?” Xander asked with a furrowed brow.

“Well, I was wondering if I could speak to Buffy, actually.” Everyone was silent as they waited for her to turn around. Instead, she continued to walk forward. Willow and Xander exchanged concerned glances, but remained planted in hopes to see the drama of what might unfold. They were theater kids, after all. Spike followed her.

“What is your problem?” he demanded when he reached her. He matched her quickening pace as they made their way to the exit.

“My problem? Mine? Just leave me alone! Jeez, what does it take!” Spike ran in front of her and stopped Buffy in her tracks.

“Look, I’m sorry for what I said, ok?” Buffy glared at him. “Whether you think I mean it or not doesn’t matter. But for whatever it’s worth, I’m sorry.”

“Ok,” she said after a long pause. She then sidestepped him and continued on her way. He jumped back in front of her. “What?”

“We’re not finished.”

“That’s funny because I thought a real, honest apology had no ulterior motive.”

“Would you just listen to me?” The pleading tone of his voice made Buffy stop talking. She decided to hear him out, at least for a little while. She nodded for him to continue. “Thank you. God, you are difficult to talk to, you know that? So, I know I haven’t been, well, you know… anyways,” he took a deep breath. “Ineedyoutohelpmewithmylines,” he mumbled.

“Excuse me?” Buffy said with her mouth open wide.

“I said… ugh, I said that I need you to help me with my lines.” Unexpectedly, the girl started giggling which caused Spike’s face to bloom red. “You know, I could have asked someone else. Anyone else. But I am asking you because,” Spike looked down and put his hands in his pockets. “I know that you are good at this stuff.” He looked up and added, “And you’re the one who wants the play to be good! It could be great even if you help me out!” Buffy’s giggling ceased as she thought over his proposal.

“Well... what do you expect me to do about it?”

“I don’t know. Help me to understand it? Explain what I’m saying?”

“I um… I-“

“It’s ok,” Spike looked down again and began to walk away. “I understand. I’ll just try to, I don’t know, figure it ou-“

“Wait!” Spike smiled before turning back to face her. She looked at him sternly and said, “Be at my house at 12:30 tomorrow and don’t be late. You have a pen?” Spike glanced at her curiously and grabbed one out of his pocket. She then proceeded to write down her address and phone number on his right arm. “That’s where I live. Be prepared to work, though.” Buffy stalked off laughing to herself.

Then, Spike looked down and realized he had given her a permanent marker.

Meanwhile, Xander and Willow exchanged knowing glances and followed their ride outside of the building. This was sure to be an interesting twist.



Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned my darlings!