Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! I am so sorry for taking forever, but this is reading week before my finals and studying takes precedence. I hope you all are enjoying the story so far. I will post again as soon as I possibly can. Please review and tell me what you think.
Tuesday

A few weeks had passed. Buffy was still curious to find out what had happened, what she had done wrong, when Spike came over her home to practice, but did not push it. This was made immensely easier due to Spike’s consistent ignorance of her presence in both school and rehearsals. But as the days came and went, she grew more and more angry at him. How dare he ignore her? Who did he think he was? He came to her for help, she tried to and he bailed.

Spike, on the other hand, was frustrated with Buffy. How could she do this to him? Every day, there she was taunting him with her eyes and shampoo commercial hair… It had to end.

Besides, Giles was beginning to notice Spike’s lack of improvement.

The show was only a month away and he still had no grasp on his character. In his opinion, Lysander was just a ponce with tights, prancing around spouting poetry about the love of his life. Although Willow was sweet enough, there wasn’t any chemistry between them. No spark.

So, he would ask Buffy one more time to help him and he would keep himself in control. After all, she was only a girl.

*************************************

“Buffy! Buffy, wait!” Spike yelled after Buffy. She turned around and glared at him.

“What is wrong with you? How can you ask me to help you after bailing on me the last time?”

“Well, you must have found a reason the first time?” he pleaded. They had argued for ten straight minutes about this and Spike felt no closer than when he started.

“I thought I saw something in you. I thought maybe you had changed or that you really wanted to change-“

“I do!”

“But you don’t,” she said quietly. Spike stood awkwardly in front of her. “Look, I believe you want the help, I do. But you don’t really care about anything and you are wasting my time. I am sick and exhausted of arguing and fighting with you. Just… just don’t talk to me anymore, ok?” Buffy sighed as Spike subconsciously nodded. She turned and walked around three steps before he stopped her.

“Wait!” Buffy turned once more and looked at him wearily. As Spike stared into those emerald depths sparkling in the fluorescents, every fiber of his being urged him closer.

Words fell from her luscious lips and he wanted nothing more than to kiss her and did not want to analyze it too closely.

“What?” she asked, slightly stronger in annoyance, breaking Spike out of his trance. He couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Um… I…” he stammered and searched for an explanation. “Ok, um, I uh…”

“What?!”

“I will do anything for you.” His blunt words surprised Buffy and himself equally. Nonetheless, he continued. “I mean, anything you want, I’ll do it. Just say the words. Look, I need your help. I’m sick of arguing too, so let’s just… not. Please, help me?” Buffy bit her lip and pondered his point; Spike tilted his head, thinking how absolutely adorable she looked doing so. He shook away the thought and tried to give the best puppy dog eyes he could muster.

“Ok. Come to my house afterschool on Thursday. There isn’t any rehearsal, so it should work out.”

“But what do you want in return?” he asked warily as she smiled softly.

“I’ll let you know.”

*************************************
Spike lounged around the auditorium watching the others turn to rehearse. Xander and Lorne were sitting and chatting behind him. In his boredom, he started eavesdropping on their conversation, but one particular sentences caught his attention.

“…and I heard Angel is going to ask Buffy out after rehearsal today!” Lorne said over excitedly.

“No way!” Xander said in the same tone. “How do you know?

“I have my ways…”

“What, are you psychic?”

“Maybe,” he laughed. “No, but really, I think they would make such a cute couple, don’t you?”

Buffy and Angel were practicing one of their scenes on the stage. She looked like an angel: ethereal in her white, spring dress and silver headband. Then for the first time, Spike noticed Angel leering at her and his blood began to boil. He could not understand why, but a wave of fury rushed over him. Spike wanted to tear out the great poof’s neck for looking at Buffy that way.

“Yeah, they definitely would be a great couple.” Xander replied. To his surprise, Spike growled in front of him. “Um, Spike? Something wrong?” he asked nervously, hoping that the culprit of his animalistic snarl was not he. Spike swerved around to face the couple.

“Yes, something is wrong. What the hell do you mean that big jerk is going to ask Buffy out? In what universe would they make a good couple? Hmm?” Xander wanted to laugh and Spike’s obvious attraction to his friend, but didn’t for fear of the fire in his eyes.

“Um… I mean, well, they do look cute. Look,” he point toward the stage. Spike followed the direction of his pointing and stared at Helena and Demetrius.

…You spend your passion on a mispris'd
mood:
I am not guilty of Lysander's blood,
Nor is he dead, for aught that I can tell.
” Angel spoke proudly.
I pray thee, tell me then that he is well.”
“An if I could, what should I get there-
fore?”
“A privilege never to see me more.
And from thy hated presence part I so;
See me no more, whether he be dead or no.”
Then, she left the stage in heated tears.
“There is no following her in this fierce
vein-“
he said before Giles interrupted him, telling the cast that they were out of time and would resume the scene the next day. Everyone clapped for a day well done.

Everyone, that is, except for Spike, smiling mischievously in the house.

“Hey Buffy, wait up babe!” Angel yelled as she walked out the auditorium door. Spike stood up and blocked his way before he had the chance to catch her attention.

“Where you going, mate?” Spike asked politely, but with a hint of malice in his words.

“Sorry, can’t talk right now.” He tried to move around, but Spike sidestepped him.

“I think you have some time to chat.” He glared menacingly at the jock, whose badass demeanor was slowly fading into fear.

“Um,” he stared off where Buffy had left, then looked down dejectedly. Spike had many times intimidated others into seeing things his way, but took particular pleasure in bringing down the jock swagger a few notches. “Ok… What’s up?”

“So, I hear you are gonna ask Summers out?”

“Who, Buffy?” a goofy smile lined his face. “Yeah, well, I was going to ‘til you showed up.”

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, mate.”

“Why not? You think she’ll go for you instead? You?” When Spike didn’t say anything, Angel laughed in his face. “You do! You like her! Oh, this is rich.”

“I already had her.” He lied bluntly. Angel’s jaw dropped.

“What? No way.”

“Seriously. I’m only telling you this to warn you, but she has gone some problems. Like, when she starts dating someone, she becomes a total stalker. I’m talking writing on notebooks, dreams, waiting outside your house, clinging...”

“What?” he asked disbelievingly.

“She just sits outside your house, crying if you talk to other girls, never leaving. It’s the worst.”

“Holy crap! Oh, that’s ridiculous!”

“Just thought I’d warn you. Didn’t want you to find out like me.” Spike smiled and raised an eyebrow.

“No, thanks man. I owe you one.” Spike could hear Angel mumbling “jeez” a few times before leaving the theater. For a moment, he felt like a jerk for saying that about her, but she would thank him when she didn’t end up with a jerk jock-head like Angel Feins.

*************************************

On Thursday, Spike was significantly excited to meet with Buffy that afternoon. He could keep himself in control. He figured the only reason for his so-called attraction was that he hadn’t had a girl since Faith.

Faith used to be his best friend. Then, she started dating a senior named Kevin Doyle and stopped hanging out with him. Kevin seemed like a nice enough guy, so Spike didn’t think much about him. But one day, Faith knocked on his door with a black eye and he swore vengeance. Faith told him that Kevin was really just trying to help her, but Spike did not see it that way.

In fear of her boyfriend finding her, she crashed at Spike’s house for a week or so. On the last night, they both got very drunk and slept together. While he felt horrible about the situation, Faith pretended it never happened. She never found out that it was his first time and out of fear of rejection, he never told her. He assumed something was wrong with him because after that day, she stopped speaking to him.

He found out later that Faith crawled back to Kevin. Spike heard a bunch of girls talking about him and Faith, and how she “did” him out of pity. Heartbroken, Spike began to act out in school, trying to become the badass he thought she wanted. He refused to ever be the punch line of a joke ever again.

To his devastation, Faith moved in with Kevin and they ran away. After that, he never lost the reputation. His lost his old friends when he began wearing leather coats and black boots, bleaching his hair, painting his nails black and started hanging with the greasers of the school. Sometimes, he was disgusted at who he had become, but being a big fish in a small pond had its advantages.

And no one had messed with him since.

So, it only made sense that he would want Buffy. She was the first person to stand up to him since Faith. And now he had to focus on the task as opposed to the girl. Easy.

The school day was typical: boring material, teachers with god-complexes and dumb jocks ramming into the small freshman for fun. However, this particular never seemed to end. So, when the final bell rang, Spike thanked the lord, grabbed his backpack and bolted out the door to his car. When he reached her house he knocked on the door a few times, but there was no answer. Running his hands over his rock-hard gelled hair, he looked around for a sign of Buffy. Spike took out his cell and noticed that school had only ended ten minutes prior. Feeling stupid, he walked back to his beat up, black DeSoto and leaned on the hood. He lit a cigarette and tried not to think about his actions too carefully. He feared what he would find if he analyzed his thoughts, so he ignored the nagging feeling that grew by the day.

He saw a school bus squeak and stop directly in front of her house. A peppy Buffy bounced out of it and to her front door without noticing the dark figure in her driveway. She shoved her key in the front door and hummed prettily, jerking the key around until it clicked.

“Hello, luv.” Buffy jumped and screamed in surprise, and in the process accidently smacked Spike in the face. He fell back first onto the grass and rubbed his nose. “What the hell?!” he asked nasally, sprawled across the ground.

“Oh my god! I’m so, so sorry! I didn’t mean to, I swear.” Buffy ran and sat down beside him, blocking out the sun above them. Maybe it was the tears streaming from his eyes, but the sun made it look like she had a halo. She was glowing and he felt the same emotional urge to stroke her face, to kiss her, anything. He tried to push down the feeling as far as it could go, but it kept surfacing.

“Don’t touch it! Let me see,” she said in a motherly tone. Spike tried to keep his fingers on his bruising nose, but she lightly smacked them away. Buffy leaned so close to his face that he could feel her sweet breath on his neck. He closed his eyes so he could focus on anything but the urges within him, but it only served to focus on nothing but the smell of her. Her skin smelled like vanilla and cherry blossoms; he was drowning in her.

When Spike opened his eyes again, she was only an inch or two from his lips. He sparkling green eyes stared wide into his. Buffy carefully stroked his hurt nose, checking for something she did not have the ability to detect. The tip of her finger unconsciously moved to stroke his lush bottom lip. Neither said anything for a few minutes until Buffy stood up and walked to her front door without turning back around.

“Are you coming?”

“In a minute…”


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned!