Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Bet you didn't think I'd be posting so soon after around ten days of silence. I was suddenly inspired and felt the need to share. Hope you enjoy it because this is the last of the Spuffy moderate happiness for a few chapters. BUT DON"T WORRY. Spuffy goodness is up ahead. They just need to get over themselves and realize how much they feel for each other. I hope to post again soon. Please review and tell me what you think!!
“Are you coming?”

“In a minute…”


*************************************

Spike followed her inside to the familiar stage room. A sudden nervousness crept over him as he recalled the last time he was in the room with Buffy. After taking off his shoes, he padded over to the same spot they were previously in. She was waiting for him there, smiling awkwardly and not recognizing the moment back on the grass. Spike followed her lead and said nothing.

“Alright,” she finally spoke. “Since you really didn’t seem to like the exercise I tried last time, I think we should just get into the text.”

“I meant to tell you, I’m sorry about that. You see, I-“

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s just move on.” Buffy grabbed her script from a short bookshelf he hadn’t noticed the last time. It was stuffed to the brim with plays: Christopher Durang, Machiavelli, Shakespeare, Arthur Miller, etc. It was planted next to a small keyboard against the wall with hand-written music strewn across the keys. It was incredible how into theater she was. He wished he could be even half as passionate about something. She was lucky to know what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

“So… you want to act for a living, then?” he asked, genuinely curious.

“Oh my god, yes. I want it so badly. I remember when I was, like, five or so, I was acting in this play and I didn’t really like it very much. I was the month of February, which is obviously the most important being 28 days and all… But anyway, I refused to go on stage. Like, absolutely refused! But then my teacher pushed me on the stage. I took one look at that audience, all in the spotlight and breathing it all in…” her eyes clouded over in a dream-like state as she moved furniture around. “I mean, some people look at great masterpieces and see the deeper significance, but it felt like being inside the painting, living in all the colors and beauty that real world couldn’t provide. And ever since then, I just can’t leave. In fact, sometimes I-“

Buffy glanced up at Spike and broke out of her personal trance. His head was tilted to the side, mesmerized by her infatuated speech. When she spoke of theater, she looked… effulgent. Even if not one beam of light hit her, he swore she would glow in the pitch dark with the light that shone from her eyes in ardor. She was fascinating and he had no words to tell her.

“Sorry, sometimes I get carried away,” Buffy giggled from embarrassment without taking in Spike’s intrigued facial expression.

“No… That was great. Really.” She squinted her eyes wondering if he was serious, then smiled.

“You’re a bad liar, but thanks anyway. Now, let’s work. Ok?”

“Ok…” He ignored the nervous urge to run his hand over his gelled hair again.

“Ok. I’ll be Hermia so we can get some of your bigger lines in. Let’s start with,” she flipped through the play biting her lip adorably. “Nay, good Lysander; for my sake, my dear,
Lie further off yet, do not lie so near.”


For a moment, Spike said nothing. He was too focused on the graceful movement of her body than the meaning in her words. When she gave him the I’m waiting face, he shook his head and continued.

“O, take the sense, sweet, of my innocence!
Love takes the meaning in love's conference-“


“No, no, no,” Buffy interrupted. “You can’t just say it in this monotone! Think about the words. Do you know what they mean?” Spike said nothing. “Ok, we’ll go line by line. What comes next?”

“I mean, that my heart unto yours is knit
So that but one heart we can make of it;
Two bosoms interchained with an oath;”


“Alright. This line is basically saying that Lysander is in love with Hermia and no bond could break them. See? Their hearts are metaphorically being sewn together with the bonds of love. That’s the oath part. Keep going.”

“So then two bosoms and a single troth.
Then by your side no bed-room me deny;
For lying so, Hermia, I do not lie.”


“Well, what do you think that means?” Buffy encouraged him to respond.

“Um… that they will have sex in the bedroom?” She laughed heartily and shook her head.

“No! Well, I mean, kind of. But it’s saying that the two of them will forever be by each other’s side. And no matter what happens, because their two hearts are one, they cannot be separated no matter what. Then there is a play on words at the end, ‘lying’ and ‘lie’? Of course, everyone’s interpretation is different. If it means something different to you, go with it. It’s part of the beauty of Shakespeare: that everyone gets their own emotional impact from the same words.” Spike nodded feeling like idiot compared to Buffy.

“Lysander riddles very prettily:” she continued.
“Now much beshrew my manners and my pride,
If Hermia meant to say Lysander lied.
But, gentle friend, for love and courtesy
Lie further off; in human modesty,
Such separation as may well be said
Becomes a virtuous bachelor and a maid,
So far be distant; and, good night, sweet friend:
Thy love ne'er alter till thy sweet life end!”


Buffy was only standing about a foot away from him, once again sending his senses into overdrive.

“So, what did I just say?” she said breathily, also reacting to their closeness. The electricity between them made the room seem to fizzle, then blur away entirely. Only the two of them existed

“Amen,” he said only an inch or two away and moving closer. “Amen, to that fair prayer, say I;
And then end life when I end loyalty!
Here is my bed: sleep give thee all his rest!”
Losing control entirely, Spike gave in and kissed her passionately. Oh, how he wanted her. His flesh stung with sensation, his body on fire from her touch. He had never experienced anything like it, not with Faith or his ex Drusilla.

Buffy was surprised to say the least, but for the first time in her life, she could feel every fiber in her body come alive at once. Although the kiss was not harsh, it was full of need and unresolved tension. Her eyes fluttered closed as she relaxed in his comforting, muscular arms.

At first, Spike feared she would push him away and make him leave the house. Yet she let go of herself for a moment to be with him. Eventually, he broke apart from her and immediately felt a coldness he never realized existed. He blindly stroked her cheek, feeling a small remnant of the moment they had shared. She leaned into his hand softly and Spike reveled in it.

Buffy opened her eyes first, giggling because she did not know what else to do. Spike wasn’t sure whether to be angry or laugh along with her, but she decided for him when she smiled brilliantly under one of the small stage lights.

“Shall we, um, continue?” he stuttered.

“Yeah…” she replied anxiously. Where were we?”

*************************************

The rest of their time together was all work and no play. Buffy explained the lines to him and he complied to her every demand, even to the theater exercises that seemed incredibly idiotic.

But when she said goodbye and waved him out the door, Spike could not leave her lawn. He was compelled to stay with her, although he was not sure why. He was starting to notice a pattern in his actions in conjunction with Buffy. It was then that he realized he had left his shoes inside. Grateful for a proper reason to reenter the house, he went to the front door and knocked. Several knocks later, there was still no answer. Because it was still open he decided to quickly sneak in and out since no one had really let him in this time.

Tiptoeing as quiet as he could to the small theater basement, he heard music from inside. Spike heard a voice singing over the keyboard and was surprised to find that it was Buffy’s voice. He knew she was into theater and he should have assumed she could sing, but it never occurred to him to ask. Not even after seeing the keyboard.

“…Falling from view
Did you ever touch me,
Floating through your potpourri?
I thought I felt your fingers once
After waiting all these months


She was amazing! He was grateful once again that she did not notice his entrance into the room so he could enjoy the moment: a moment that may never have occurred if she knew of his presence.

”But I was wrong, so wrong
That was just another song you wrote, for another girl
And I hoped the day could be
When you'd write a song for me

But it never came,
I thank you all the same,
But I'll go now, so you won't know how much I've

Fallen for you,
Pointless trying to be a man
Boy, you don't know if you can
I thought I knew you well enough
But your walls are still too tough”


Spike wondered who had inspired the song. It was certainly powerful in both its melody and lyric. The same irritating feeling in his stomach made him want to hurt the one who hurt her. And then it hit him.

”But I was wrong, so wrong
That was just another song you wrote, for another girl
And I hoped the day could be
When you'd write a song for me

But it never came,
I thank you all the same,
But I'll go now, so you won't know how much I

Thought about you all the time,
Walking round, the Guggenheim.
Like a rhyme, in my mind,
There you are, in my car,
But we don't drive very far.
To the beach, out of reach
Next to me... my fantasy”


He was in love with her. There was no mistake about it. The feelings he had been trying to hide, to force down and away, his incredible attraction to her and his inability to control his actions when she was near. Spike was in love with Buffy. Buffy, who was currently closing her eyes in complete focus and making every syllable on the pages in front of her come alive. The more she sang, the clearer it all became.

“Falling for you
Did you ever see me,
Watching from periphery?
I was playing another game
I hoped you catch on all the same.”


Buffy opened her eyes, and Spike noticed the familiar red tint surrounding them. He was drawn to comfort her, but he knew she wouldn’t appreciate him sneaking in to hear her possibly private music. He quickly scooped his shoes in his arms and bolted to his car as quickly as he could, panting when he got outside.

Buffy thought she heard something, but nothing was there. She was all alone, again. And for some reason she wished Spike were still in the room with her.


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned! :)