Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry about the unbelievable amount of time between the last post and this one, but I was experiencing severe writers block and had summer work. Anyway, this chapter is short and mostly fluff, but angst is just around the bend. Reviews help the muse immensely! I'll post as soon as I can.
The next day, Spike was at a loss as to how he would act around Buffy. He had accepted his feelings for her, but all they had ever done was argue. It all seemed so ridiculous: the games they played. But he needed to find out if she felt the same way. And if she did not feel similarly… he supposed it was to be expected considering his last experience with Faith. That insecurity ran deep inside him, causing a nervousness he could not control.

And what if she did like him back? What then? Would they go out or keep it hidden? Spike’s friends were not the most accepting of people, especially glorified geeks like Buffy Summers. He didn’t want to drop his friends necessarily, but at this point there was no contest where his emotions were concerned. It was a sad fact he would have to endure if that is what it came to.

Finally, he came to the frightening conclusion that he should ask her out on a date. If she said no, he would play it cool and hide the immense frustration and melancholy her rejection would cause. If she said yes, well, he would take her out and all would be well in the beginning.

But what if she found the same deficiencies in Spike that made Faith leave? He couldn’t think like that. He had to focus on his mission. The get-Buffy-Summers-to-be-my-girlfriend mission.

With that in mind, Spike puffed up his chest and went to school.

*************************************

Buffy was in a rush.

The bus had come late again and her first period teacher was not going to be pleased. It was the first sign that it would not be a good day, but Buffy decided to ignore the usual morning pessimism and be excited instead.

The moment she had shared with Spike seemed almost unreal. They had kissed! She and Spike Williams, badass extraordinaire and official pain in her specific backside, had made with the smoochies. What were they supposed to do now? Their entire relationship was based on mutual hatred and arguing. But now…

What if it was all on purpose? What if Spike was planning on getting her to fall in love with him only to drop her headfirst the second he got the chance? She didn’t want to think that way, but considering their background, there was a distinct possibility of a bad outcome.

She waved her thoughts away a second time. What would happen would happen, whether she liked it or not. Although she loved the theater, she hated the drama queen concept that followed her around, despite her best efforts to stay positive. She was always waiting for people to disappoint her. But Spike seemed like he had changed.

After all, Spike had some initiative and was really trying to get on her good side. Maybe he really liked her.

Maybe she really liked him.

With that in mind, Buffy ran to first period. She opened the door, smiled apologetically at the teacher and walked quickly to her seat. Luckily, it was in the back so she could hide her face from her teacher. Stupid teacher with his stupid accusing eyes…

Just then, she heard a soft knock on the door. She looked through the doors’ tiny window and saw Spike smiling goofily and waving. Buffy tried not to giggle, but the look on his face was priceless. Unexpectedly, Spike walked into the classroom and addressed the teacher.

“Mr. DuMark, I need to speak with Miss Summers quickly.”

“For what?” he asked sternly.

“School project. Very important. It will only take a second.” After a very disgruntled noise from her teacher, he motioned his hand in the direction of the hallway. Buffy smiled gratefully and shuffled outside.

When she was sure the door was completely closed, Buffy moved closer to Spike with a funny smile on her face. “Why Mr. Williams, what are you doing here this fine morning?”

“Oh, you know, just saying hello?” he said with his hands in his tight pockets.

“Is that so?”

“Oh, you know… it is…”

“Way to ruin the rhyme scheme,” she giggled. “So, what’s really up? Shouldn’t you be in class or spray painting the lockers with penises?”

“Hey!” he exclaimed angrily, but he could not hide his smile. “I’ll have you know that I have… a free period! Yeah, free period now.”

“A free period?” she said. He nodded almost honestly. “First period?” His nods slowed considerably. “So why are you even at school?” she spoke with a laugh.

“I, um… Look, I wanted to talk to you.”

“Aren’t we talking now?”

“Ugh, woman! Let me talk!” Spike said jokingly, eliciting a smile from Buffy.

“You are the one with the muddled thoughts. You should try flushing your own head down the toilet sometime. Maybe it’ll sort your thoughts out.” Buffy laughed loudly.
“Alright, alright.” He took a deep breath, and began, “I wanted to know, if you, you know, wanted to, maybe-“ he was interrupted by the door reopening.

“Miss Summers, are you quite finished?” Mr. DuMark said angrily. Buffy nodded and shrugged apologetically to Spike.

“We’ll talk later,” he mouthed, slightly disappointed. As Buffy was shuffled back into the classroom, he had an idea to amuse Buffy. And since he had nothing else important to do…

Spike ran to the men’s room and soaked his hair in the sink water. The thick gel keeping his hair together dripped all over the floor as he ran back out. He wrote largely on a notebook page and knocked softly on the door for a second time. At first, Buffy didn’t hear, but after a few more knocks increasing in sound she looked at him in surprise. Spike shoved the notebook onto the window of the door and watched as Buffy tried to contain her laughter. When Mr. DuMark looked at the door, Spike ducked down causing Buffy to let loose an unladylike bark of laughter for he had written: It didn’t work.

Buffy continued to hold back her laughter after Spike left. She supposed they were friends for the time being, which was better than most of the scenarios that ran through her head on the bus ride to school.

Spike crawled away, both pleased with his success at making her laugh and angry that he was so completely whipped. His frustration multiplied, however, when he realized that his perfectly gelled hair was curling and sticking out in every direction.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review and stay tuned!