Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Here is the next development, mostly angst, but I threw in some fun stuff too. I PROMISE Spuffyness really soon. They just need to get over all these problems first. Thanks for staying with me this long as I am particularly proud of this chapter. I hope you enjoy it and please review! I will post faster if many reviews come my way :D
“You bastard!”

“Me? What did I do?”

“You told all those lies about her!” Spike yelled, trying not to let the desperate whine in his voice come through.

“You’re the one who said she slept with you. What was it, oh yeah, you said she ‘just sits outside your house, crying if you talk to other girls, never leaving. It’s the worst’?” Angel crossed his arms defiantly, but was itching to leave his sight. Spike hesitated.

“I just told you that because… well-“

“In fact, I talked to Faith the other day. Remember your good friend Faith? Well, she remembers you and not Buffy. You guys were never together! You’re the liar here, not me, man.”

Spike didn’t know how to respond. Faith spoke to Angel? The biggest jerk in the school, and she chose to talk to him instead. Then, the end of the message hit.

“You’re the one who spread rumors about Buffy being a slut!” Spike retaliated.

“I never did that,” Angel said with a satisfied smile.

“You… you are a fucking-“

“Ah ah ah, Spikey. Don’t call your fellow cast members names. It ruins all this cast bonding we’ve put in place.”

“Take it back.” Spike said in dead monotone.

“Take what back?” he said, genuinely curious.

“Everything you said about her. Take it back and tell everyone what a complete bastard you are.”

“I think you need a reality check cause… Wait, do you have a crush on her? Is that what this is all about?” Spike’s silence told him everything he needed to. “Oh my god, that’s it! You told me that stuff so I wouldn’t go out with her? Well, guess what buddy, I’m going out with her anyway. She’s a fine piece of ass,” Angel was only inches from his face in attempt to be threatening, “and now I’m going to fuck her into next week just because you want her.”

“What is your damage?!” Spike yelled, rage boiling in his blood.

“Mine? My damage, oh this is priceless. I’m going out with her now.”

“If you like her so much, why did you spread those rumors? Huh?”

“Well, if you can make up stories, then I can too. It’s a free country. Oh wait, I want to be more like you, ‘Oh, I’m a badass wannabe and I want the theater geek!’” The boy was too caught up in his mockery to notice the fist flying directly at his nose.

“Don’t you EVER talk about Buffy that way!” Spike only saw red. No one talked about his Buffy that way. He was so completely possessed by his fury he didn’t even notice continuing to pummel Angel.

“STOP! Stop! What are you doing?!” Buffy screamed as she ran into the auditorium where she had left her book. Her mother had to drive all the way home and back again only for her to witness Spike kicking Angel’s ass. Spike looked up at her in shock and backed away from the squealing boy. “What is your damage?!” she demanded, eliciting a chuckle from Angel.

“I-“

“First you spread rumors about me, then you beat up an innocent guy!” Angel did his best puppy dog impression as his eyes “watered” in a manly way.

“Buffy, he was-“

“I don’t want to hear it Spike. I just want to go home.” She helped the bruised jock to his feet and walked him sadly to the front door.

Spike was utterly confused with the events of the day, with the exception of Angel being a total jackass. He wanted to fight for Buffy, but he didn’t know how.

He was at a loss.

……………………

The second drive home was quiet. Buffy’s mother Joyce was slightly unnerved by it considering her daughter was typically a chatterbox.

“Are you alright, sweetie?”

“I’m fine,” she replied nonchalantly. But Joyce was in no way convinced.

“You know you can tell me anything, honey, and you know I’m not going to let it go so you might as well explain it to me,” she said half jokingly. There was a large pause before Buffy decided it was in her best interest to explain herself.

“Basically, there is this boy who is in the play with me and at first I thought he was a jerk, but then it turned out he was actually pretty sweet, but now I realize that he’s exactly the jerk I originally thought he was, but for some reason I want to be with him anyway, not the badass thing, but just him, the way I think he really is, but now there’s this other guy who asked me out and I said yes but I didn’t really want to because I, well... You know?” Joyce was silent as she attempted to process Buffy’s explanation

“Well…” Joyce began. “How do you feel about the first guy?”

“I just told you, I like him.”

“But he’s a jerk?” Joyce asked. Buffy paused for effect.

“Yes. He beat up the second guy. And spread rumors about me.”

“Why would he do things like that?”

“I don’t know… I mean, I always knew he had this jerk reputation, but aside from the occasional graffiti, he didn’t do very much. Not until now, or that I noticed.”

“And how does he feel about you?” Joyce was incredibly confused, but tried to keep up by asking questions.

“I don’t know, he’s up he’s down. Sometimes I think he likes me back and other times… I just don’t know.”

“And what did he say about all of this? Did he have any kind of explanation?”

“Can we not talk about this? Please, mom?” Buffy refused to consider it. He spread rumors about her of the nastiest kind, and there was no coming back from that in the Buffy’s book. Joyce nodded in defeat, wishing she knew what to do to make things better.
……………………

Spike raided his parent’s liquor cabinet and grabbed the first handle he could find. Drinking straight from the bottle, Spike wandered through his house knowing no one would be home for several hours. Everything was such a mess and he had no idea what he was supposed to do. He considered never speaking to Buffy again, but the thought made his heart ache dully in his chest. Since it seemed that was out of the question, drinking made the most sense as a backup plan.
……………………

Spike looked at his watch for the thirtieth time, but still could not understand the roman numerals, especially in the pitch-black night.

It has to be at least midnight, Spike thought as he stood on the Summers’ front lawn. He couldn’t remember how long he’d been walking or how he even got there, but there he was, looking up at what he assumed was Buffy’s window.

“Buffy!” He attempted to whisper. When there was no response, he tried again. “Buffy! I’m here,” Spike slurred. It was then that he saw the tree growing near her window, which gave him a bright idea.

……………………

Buffy brushed her hair. She lost count of brush strokes a long time ago, but she didn’t want to sleep. She didn’t want to risk dreaming about him, which was basically inevitable. Spike circled in her thoughts, despite his unwanted presence. He had been so awful to her, so mean and so obnoxious, and yet… she still wanted him.

She didn’t know when the feelings started, but suddenly they were dripping from her fingertips and singeing her veins whenever she thought about him or the kiss they had shared. It was the oldest story in the book: Boy and Girl hate each other, then Girl like Boy, then Boy turns into jerk asshole and starts spreading rumors… Ok, maybe it wasn’t the oldest story per say. But Buffy was a theater kid and needed the extra drama in her life for it to be worth living. It was a harsh reality she rarely thought about, but another unwelcome concept of theater was being ultra aware of the self.

Realizing her hair was beginning to fall out, Buffy dropped the brush and dived her head into her hands. She let the tears go that were leaking all day. She shook from the violent turn her emotions took. When the worst of the sobs subsided, Buffy turned off her lights and tried to sleep. She felt so weak.

……………………

Spike never realized how hard climbing a tree was. He tried it when he was small, but his father had helped him along. Now drunk and unable to even stand still, it seemed an impossible feet. Nonetheless, he needed to talk to Buffy and he would go to any extreme to do it.

After what seemed several hours, he reached the rooftop and Buffy’s window. Looking in, he saw Buffy’s silhouetted figure in the moonlight. He wanted to stare a little longer, but he felt the branches beginning to give under his weight. He had to jerk the window a few times before it lurched open and launched Spike inside. When he regained his composure, he spoke softly to wake her.

“Hello cutie.” He heard her yawn and turn over to face him.

And then she screamed.

……………………

Buffy was tucked in bed, only a moment from sleep when she heard a shriek from one of the neighboring houses. She jumped out of bed, opened her window and tried to pick out the cause of the noise.

……………………

“What are you doing in my house?! GET OUT!!!” the blonde woman screamed like a banshee. In his stupor, it took Spike a moment to realize he had broken into the wrong house. Now fearful for his life and body parts, Spike scrambled out of the bedroom, into the hallway and down the stairs to, presumably, the front door. He found himself chased by a large man clutching a baseball bat and clearly not afraid to use it as he broke a few figurines here and there.

Spike bolted as fast as he could outside and away. As he ran, he looked up and realized he was only wrong by two houses. Temporarily forgetting the reason for his escape, Spike stopped and stared at Buffy’s face in the moonlight from her actually window. She didn’t say anything and had an odd expression, but Spike didn’t care.

“I love you!” he exclaimed, but his speech was so impaired that it sounded like mush.

“What?” Buffy whispered to the mysterious drunk man on her lawn.

“I love you!” he said louder. Then, as he walked into the lights of her steps, she realized who it was and gasped. She still couldn’t understand him, though.

“What did you say?” she replied.

“I said,” he over pronounced the letter “d” in frustration, “that I-“ his speech was interrupted by a large man pushing him down. The man proceeded to beat him to a pulp, and for a second Buffy considered allowing him to do so. But her emotions held sway in the end and she yelled out to him from her window.

“Hey! Stop it! Leave him alone and get off my lawn or I’ll call the cops!” The man, possibly wanted by the police for previous aggravated assault, ran as fast as he could back to his house. Spike could barely move, but he needed to tell her, needed to make her understand.

“Buffy!” he coughed. Feeling sorry for him, and hating herself for feeling that way, Buffy crawled out of her window and came down the makeshift rope ladder/fire escape her father installed. When she reached him, that same pull crept into her heart. She wanted to touch him, to kiss him, to be closer. But it was wrong. He was wrong. Nonetheless, she couldn’t deny the attraction to the bleached wonder.

“Buffy?” he coughed again. “I have to tell-“ he coughed once more, “I have to tell you something.” Between the coughs and slurring, he was very difficult to understand, but she heard the last thing he said before he fell unconscious.

“I love you, Buffy.”


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned.