Chapter 17

Buffy entered the house after getting no response from her knocks, surprised that the door was unlocked.

“Adam? Are you here? I got your message.” She was once again met with silence, starting to get a really bad feeling. Buffy was prepared to spend a quiet night at home, when she got Adam’s frantic message on her answering machine. He seemed upset, and was all about how he needed to see her. Buffy should have known something wasn’t right, and really should have waited for Spike, but knew he would be working late. She was about to turn around and leave, when a body slammed her into a wall, pressing her face against the hard surface.

“You wouldn’t leave a man in need, would you, Buffy?”

When he jerked her around to face him, gone was the sweet man she had met only days before. Now he looked devious, demented, and Buffy knew that she was in trouble. “What do you want?”

Adam grinned. “I’m glad you ask. You’ve been a very bad girl, and you need to pay for that. Warren was my older brother, our parents died in a horrible car crash when we were kids, and he’s the only one who’s been there for me. Then you had to go and get him put away, which I can’t say I really care for. We have big plans for you, but since he’s still locked up, I’ll just have to carry on his wishes. You’re going to do everything I say, or I’ll kill your boyfriend and make you watch while I do it. And don’t think I’ll stop there, I’ll kill his sister, her daughter, your friends, everyone who means anything to you will be dead, unless you cooperate. Do we understand each other?”

Buffy tried to pull away, but it was no use, he was too strong. “What do I have to do?” she asked in a small voice.

He loosened his grasp a bit, giving her another sadistic grin. “You’re going to put doubts in Spike’s head. I want him to think twice about your relationship, and when I tell you to, you’re going to end things with him. When that’s done, you’ll come back here, and I’ll give you the rest of your punishment.”

She shook her head, a look of fear now clouding her features. “No, don’t make me do that. I can’t. Please, I’ll do anything else.”

Adam slammed her back against the wall. “You don’t, and he dies. Would you rather his blood be on your hands? It’s just a simple break up, I’m sure pretty boy will be over it fast. Men like him don’t tend to stick around very long, anyway. I would be doing you a favor.”

Buffy was not going to cry, she would never give him that satisfaction. She nodded instead, taking in a deep breath. “Fine, I’ll do it. Just don’t hurt him.” He let her go, and before she could make a break for it, grabbed her arm in a bruising grip.

“One more thing,” he spat, getting in her face. “If you screw this up, go to the cops, or tell anyone about our little conversation, you will be very sorry. Do I make myself clear?”

She nodded again, running out of the house once he released her, and never looking back.



* * * * *


Buffy pulled on her handcuffs, but they wouldn’t budge. The key was on his desk, which was across the room; there was no hope of reaching it. It was a good thing that the nightstand was next to the bed, and she was able to get a hold of the phone. He only cuffed one of her hands; luckily the other one was free. Adam claimed he had things to take care of, which was why she found herself alone in his room for the last hour, and very grateful that he decided to postpone torturing her.

She grabbed the phone and quickly dialed Spike’s cell, praying that he wasn’t too mad at her to answer. He picked up after the second ring, but the phone was thrown away before she could respond, not realizing that Adam came back.

“That was really stupid,” he growled, cuffing her other hand to the bed post as well. “I guess I shouldn’t have trusted you to stay put. Not to worry, if anyone shows up, there won’t be much of you left. I suppose I shouldn’t put this off much longer, I have yet to make you pay for my brother.”

Buffy had it, and wasn’t one to think before she acted. Her legs were free and with all the strength she possessed, she lifted up her foot and kicked him right in the balls, which caused him to move away from her, groaning in agony as he clutched his privates. “You sick fuck, your brother was a monster, and you’re not that far off! You want to be together again so badly? Go join him in a jail cell, you asshole! Spike will come for me. Your first mistake was not taking me somewhere else. This is the first place he’s going to look, moron.”

Adam chuckled, the pain having eased a bit. “You are a feisty thing, now I know why Warren chose you.” He got up, smacking her hard across the face. “Don’t do that again. Did you ever think that maybe I want him to show up? I can just see it now; the heroic boyfriend comes to save the damsel in distress, only to get a bullet in the brain for his troubles. It’s rather poetic, don’t you think? Besides, you broke his heart, why would he risk his life for you now?”

Her eyes widened when he pulled out a gun, aiming it in her direction.

“Oh, don’t worry, this isn’t for you. Getting shot is too fast of a death; I want yours to go very slowly.”


* * * * *


“Are you sure he has her at his house? That doesn’t seem very smart.”

“He’s not a smart bloke,” Spike stated. “Yes, I’m sure, someone called me from that house, and I know it was Buffy. He got to her before she could say anything. I swear, if that bloody bastard has done anything to her, I’ll rip his fucking head off.”

Angel placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder, while trying to keep an eye on the road. “Calm down, the police are headed there now. They’ll probably get there before we do.”

It wasn’t fast enough. He wanted to get there twenty minutes ago; his girl’s life depended on it. Spike jumped out the second they pulled up to the house, making his way over to a cop car that was already parked out front. “Has anyone gone inside yet?”

The officer shook his head. “We’ve seen situations like this before, it would be too risky to just ambush him, the hostage could be injured. We need to get contact with the inside, possibly talk some sense into the kidnapper so we won’t have to deal with a bloodbath.”

Spike knew that wasn’t likely to happen. One way or another, he was going inside, but he would wait for more back up first. Another police car drove up shortly after, followed by a third, but when a loud scream came from the house, Spike instantly knew it was Buffy, and all bets were off.