Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all who read that first chapter. I know that it was rather background centered but I promise that it is important.
The stained marble floor was blessedly bare. Yet the memory of Masters remained. Even as the men swarmed towards Spike, they consistently side-stepped around the pool of blood left behind. It would be cleaned up by the servants eventually but everyone knew that Drake had left it as a warning. Before the night was through more than one body would again be placed in that position.

All Spike knew was that it wouldn’t be him.

Unconsciously he looked for Masters. No that wasn't right; it was only a body now and barely recognizable at that. Yet for so long that body had represented his life within the family, the safe harbor he could escape to after Angel publicly humiliated him so badly. He could only hope that Drake recognised the sacrifice. It could very easily have turned out differently. Spike could feel his leg twitching like crazy yet beyond that he appeared calm. It was a practiced maneuver, essential for survival within the family.

Spike had been barely out of university the first time he had been drawn to one of these meetings, Drusilla twirling down the hall before him. Her hands had caressed the heads of the deer like long lost lovers and he could remember her waving goodbye to the cautionary portraits before the entered the same hall in which he now stood. She had led him like a lamb to the slaughter, giggling uncontrollably even as she threw herself onto Angel. He had been living at the mansion at that time, still not a member of the elite circle but powerful regardless.

Instant hate had bloomed in the tall brunette's face as he regarded Spike. Almost as though knowing that with him came change, a contest to Drusilla's affections. Spike shook his head at the memory, struggling to focus on the present. It would do no good to think of Peaches now. Not with Masters' blood still staining his clothes.

As far as the rest of the family was concerned, he had finally proved himself. Even as men returned to their seats, their eyes seemed to beam approval and respect. It was no mean feat to literally plunge the dagger into the father. Yet he had done it. And he would be honoured for it. Was it worth the price?

Slowly his ears began to absorb the sound around him. Doyle was talking quickly next to Hunter, already discussing the spoils of Masters empire which would be spread amongst the gathered members. Tonight was unprecedented in the history of the family. Masters was the son of one of the founding members, before the family had grown to include persons who were not blood related. His death marked the end of an era.

Spike stretched his shoulders, not bothering to unroll the bloody sleeves. Doyle was practically jumping up and down with excitement at the prospect of women. Masters had been renowned for his extensive collection, even Dru had started off as one of his girls.

"Let go of me! You can't do this!" A blur of blonde hair landed in the middle of the room, jade eyes flashing as the defenseless woman stared around her. The men closest to her stepped back smiling. So this was one of Masters' girls then Spike thought. The old man always did have good taste. Even with the dirt covering her face and hands, she glowed with fire and beauty. Doyle had mentioned that the girls were being held in the cells below, but he had expected better treatment from Drake. She must have fought them, the little spitfire. Her frame was lean but still feminine and it was obvious that before her capture, she had been fit. Spike would even say dangerous. The girl lifted her face to glare at her captors, a small upturned nose and delicate lips twisting with anger. She's bloody gorgeous. The guards had not bothered to tie her hands or feet, obviously unconcerned that the tiny woman so small amongst them, could actually do any harm.

They were wrong.

As though possessed, she leaped at the first man to come near her, shoving her fist into his face with a brutal punch. Not waiting to see the damage she spun to the other side of the room, kicking into the stomachs of more than one attacker. She was everywhere at once and then gone in a second. A flurry of kicks seemed to erupt amongst the older men struggling to contain her sheer anger. A sickening snap heralded another broken nose and then she was darting through the crowd of men, unleashing punch combos wherever an opening alloed. Unfortunately the men she touched did not move as quickly. Spike couldn't help grinning at the poor pillocks, many of them old family associates, as their lackeys stepped into the fray. One swore loudly as his nose gushed blood, screaming that someone "kill the bitch now!" All because of a little girl.

He watched as she struggled against three men, head butting the first fool to come close to her, despite being pinned. But she couldn’t stave them off forever. Spike winced as a quick punch to the jaw knocked the slender girl to the ground.

Immediately those harmed rushed forward and Spike felt something twist inside. The berks had deserved it. Unable to defend themselves against a woman? He began to stride through the crowd, hoping to reach her before them but was held back.

Doyle shook his head. "Drake's got a plan for this one. Don’t worry about Cedric, he'll get over the pain."

Spike merely nodded, but did not resume his seat.

"What's this bitch doin' here?" A man demanded as Drake made his way to the crumpled girl. She had landed on the bloodied marble but was still unconscious.

"Calm down Cedric. I should've hit you for not being able to defend yourself against such a little thing." Drake reached down, wrapping his long fingers into blood stained gold hair. "This here, is Agent Elizabeth Summers."

Beside him, Spike felt Doyle gasp in surprise.

Drake continued. "She's been a mole in Masters' operation for the last two years and was as far as everyone still alive is concerned, merely another his whores. Anyone who knew of her real status, is understandably dead." A shudder ran through the crowd at the thought of such a death. Drake was not as vicious as Angel, but his torture lasted for far longer.

"You mean to tell me you brought a pig here? Have you gone insane Drake?" The man, now identified as Cedric shouted. He was still holding his nose and had become even angrier.

Drake ignored the question. Spike knew though that the comment had not been ignored. Such disrespect could never be tolerated. His lips tightened as Drake's fingers fisted in the girl's hair painfully and jerked her hair so that the bruised face was visible to the room.

"She's not just any pig. She's Riley's girl. His fucking fiancé." Drake spat the last word with pure hatred. His rivalry with Riley was as legendary as Spike's and Angel's. "Right now they think that she's just missing or dead. Normally I would be fine with that, and let them fish little pieces of her out of the river, but this is could lead to further opportunities than just torture. Although that is a good means to an end for any woman stupid enough to fuck with us…" Drake took a steadying breath. Even talking about revenge against Riley was enough to send him into a bloodlust. "Just think what Riley would do to get her back. What kind of information could we get? What protection could we gain? How many of those high minded politicians would fall into our pockets? We could effectively buy New York." A hush fell at his last words. Riley was both the police chief's lackey and the son of the mayor. His investigation, an initiative against organized crime, had been part of the reason for Masters' defection. As far as Spike was concerned, it was Riley's fault that Masters had had to be killed at all; that and the stupid bint who was slowly opening her eyes in horror.

Immediately she began struggle, her arms weakly tearing at Drake. It was what he had been waiting for. Allowing a smile to tug at the corners of his lips, Drake lifted her completely off the ground so that their faces were equal and then slapped her hard.

"So goof of you to wake up, slut." Another slap landed across an already reddened cheek. "I had expected more of a show earlier but I guess you're too weak". Elizabeth raised her face again, more than one bruise blooming across her cheek.

"It's Buffy."

Drake leaned close, "what was that?" His hand came across again as she opened her mouth to reply.

"IT'S BUFFY." She lunged forward, despite the intense pain and swung her fist wide, connecting with the brutish man's nose.

Immediately, Drake threw her to the floor and began to beat her, his rage no longer able to be held back.

"Stop!" Spike felt himself move forward before the word left his lips. For some reason unknown to even himself, he shoved his way through the crowd until he was in front of Drake. If I don't do something, she'll be dead within the minute.

"Why don't you let me take over? Stupid bint didn't jus' mess with you." His hand was raised in self defense only, a vicious punch landing across his forearm as the brunette struggled to calm down.

Shock filtered away from the larger man's eyes after the second punch landed again on Spike. For a second, he had only seen red and knew that intervention had probably saved the bitch's life. Even now his hand itched with the desire to take a knife and cut her to bits.

"If you say so Spike... I was going to give you to her later anyway. Probably better for her to still breathing when I do it, though." Drake stepped away, knowing that if he remained any closer, he really would murder the girl, benefits be damned. "And this goes for everyone, with approval from the circle. Buffy" he intoned sarcastically "is Spike's to deal with. As reward for his efforts tonight." He fixed Spike with a solemn stare. "The circle will expect you to deal with Riley and organise the takeover of New York. It is your task now."

"So what are the rest of us to do?" Cedric was literally puffing with exasperation now, but felt right doing so. All the money was in New York and as the last big city that had not been dominated, it was ripe for the picking. "I'd kill my fucking mother and my father, if you handed me New York."

"Would you now? I bet you think you'd do a good job, being from Boston?" Drake eyed the squat man, slowly stalking towards him as everyone else backed away. "I'd believe it even more if I didn't know that you sold out your entire blood family in order to join us when you were fifteen. But I guess that doesn't make any difference. Loyalty is loyalty right? You want New York?" Drake asked slyly.

"Of course I fucking do! Spike's a chump compared to me or any of my men."

Drake merely scowled at this statement. The men always needed to be reminded when a new member of the circle joined. Respect was paramount.

Taking out his gun, Drake forced into Cedric's bloodied mouth and turned off the safety. It was better for the other heads of the family to witness this now, rather than have the rumors abound the halls. "I've got one bullet in here. If you can swallow that and survive, then I'll kill Spike instead and you can have New York". The hall was dead quiet except for the harsh breaths of the girl, now in Spike's arms and Cedric's blubbering. The stench of fear seemed to rise off of the little man as he mumbled excuses around the gun. "I'm sorry I can't understand you" Drake said. "I'll just have to take it that you agree." Fat tears began to slide over Cedric's cheeks. "Now now, don't cry. You interrupted me before and now here's your chance. If you really think you can do better than a member of the elite fucking circle then by all means lets do this." Cedric only kept crying, his mouth recoiling from the metallic taste.

"BANG!" The entire room jumped as Drake started laughing. "C'mon now that was only a practice run. "I know that you can do this Cedric, just take one more breath-"

BANG.

Drake pulled the trigger, firing off the back of Cedric's head.

"Now unless anyone else has any fucking questions?" Drake asked softly, kicking away the headless body. "No? Good. As I was saying, Elizabeth or whatever the fuck you want to call her, is yours Spike. We expect progress and pain for her. Do I make myself clear?"

Spike swallowed down the nausea which gripped him as his eyes shifted away from the obliterated head of Cedric. "Crystal." He shifted his arms as the girl, shifted groggily.

He had expected the gift of money, property and whores. But not this.

What in the bloody hell am I going to do now?