Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi! So here's chapter 5. I hope you guys like this one. A portion of the dialogue comes from the episode "Destiny" of Angel. I rewrote some of it and left some other stuff out though.
“Hell if I know,” Spike replied.

“Is this whole building completely insane? How the hell can Angel work here?”

“The building?”

“Yeah. Ever since I walked into this place I’ve seen nothing but crazy, fire-extinguisher-wielding people.”

“Look love, maybe we should clue in tall, dark, and
forehead. This is his problem after all,” Spike replied.

“Uh the girl you were just “playing doctor” with just tried to rip your throat out. You don’t think this might maybe probably have something to do with you?” Buffy asked, letting some of her annoyance at the situation finally slip through.

“You just said the whole building was going bat shit crazy. I can’t have pissed all of them off…or uh…maybe I have,” Spike said, thinking back to a particular situation when he’d managed to convince a Grimloth demon that his girl was cheating on him with the guy whose office was across the hall from him. The Grimloth had ripped the poor bloke’s door in two and started hitting him over the head with the pieces. It got so bad that Angel had to step in. And of course he was given a stern talking to. He cracked a smile as he remembered the look on Angel’s face when he figured out who was responsible for it.

Buffy just rolled her eyes at him.

“Oh come on. I’ve been haunting this place for months. I bloody had to do something to keep from dropping dead of boredom. Or deader, I guess.”

“Yeah, well, clearly letting me know you were alive was not nearly exciting enough for you.”

Buffy practically yelled this last statement, making Spike immediately revert to his previous guilty as charged and sorry as hell expression. Buffy simply stood there, her breath coming in harsh pants, trying to contain her anger. Her face had reddened from her outburst and her eyes spoke of the fact that she wanted to rip his balls off and make him eat them.

“Buffy, please,” Spike tried once again, “let me explain. I…”

“Let’s go find Angel,” she said, trying to put an end to the conversation.

“It’s not like I could’ve picked up a bloody phone and called you. I didn’t even really know where you were exactly. Kind of hard to do any research when you can’t even touch the things that would help you do research, pet.”

“Really?”

“Yes,” Spike said, relieved that he seemed to finally be getting somewhere with her.

“Really? You’re actually going to use that as an excuse?”

‘Or not’ he thought. He looked back up at her again, trying to convey how sorry he really was again.

“Love, we really need to talk this out. Just give me a chance to explain everything.”

“Save it, Spike. And stop calling me love, pet, kitten, or anything else.”

And with that she turned around, walking out of the room where she’d felt her life begin again only to end again. It just hurt too much to listen to him right now. God knew how long he’d been back, and he hadn’t even tried to get in touch with her. Had he even really thought about it? Or was he just grateful he could use the whole ghost thing as an excuse for not telling her he was alive again? He didn’t love her. That she was certain of. A good deal of the time she had longed for him and prayed that she could dream of him again, he had been alive all along. Okay, maybe a little deader than usually. Who the hell made a vampire into a ghost anyway? Wasn’t he dead enough just being a vampire?

Spike quickly followed her out of the room where he had done irreparable hurt to the woman he’d given his life for, hoping that at some point during the day she would let her defenses down long enough for him to try and explain to her once again his reasons. And his complete lack of anything remotely resembling reason when it came to the still unconscious vampire bint in the room they were presently vacating. He knew the only reason why she had yet to leave the entire country was the fact that towards the end of their conversation, said currently unconscious bint had jumped him and tried to tear his neck out. He knew she was here because whenever anything apocalyptically evil happened she felt the need to help. It wasn’t about him. It was never about him.

“Angel,” Buffy said ahead of him and he groaned inwardly. He really had hoped it would take them a great heaping while to find the great poof.

Buffy looked at Angel, trying to ignore the presence at her back that was making her entire body tingle by simply standing there. She wanted to figure out this apocalypse as soon as possible and get the hell out of LA. Actually out of the country. Actually off the continent. If possible into another dimension. Hey, she’d always loved shrimp. Maybe spending a few weeks in the “nothing but shrimp” dimension would be therapeutic. Sort of an all you can eat. She sighed inwardly. ‘Gaaah, who the hell am I kidding? The fact that I just saw him with Harmony is the only thing stopping me from dragging him to the nearest broom closet and having my way with him. Well…that…and the fact that he doesn’t love me.’ She could swear someone was shoving a knife into her heart whenever she thought about this. It probably shouldn’t have surprised her this much. Sooner or later, they all stopped loving her.

And it had to be her. After all, Spike had been in love with Drusilla for over a hundred years. Took care of her. Attended to her every whim. Did everything within his power to make her happy. Stayed with her even when she was bedding Angelus on a nightly basis. He had stayed with a complete nutcase for that long and she had barely gotten three years from him. Something had to be wrong with her. She repelled men, vampires, everyone. ‘Maybe I should move on to other demons,’ she thought grimly, ‘give them a try’.

“Buffy. It’s nice to see we’re on speaking terms again,” Angel said, his anger at her treatment from before clearly visible.

“Yeah, umm, sorry about that,” Buffy said rather sheepishly. In retrospect it seemed rather stupid to her that she had threatened her former lover in order to get to her other former lover who was screwing his former lover when she finally found him. This was all too complicated and jumbled for her head right now. ‘To hell with Giles, I want to go back to my hotel room, drink myself into a stupor, and go to bed’ she thought.

God, how he hated seeing her be nice to him. Spike could feel the anger boiling inside of him at the sight of them. He struggled hard not to try tearing down a few walls using Angel’s head. Damn it, it would never be enough. Whatever he did, however hard he tried, Buffy would never look at him the way she looked at Angel. Like they had the big forever love. Angel had fucked her good. Somehow made her believe that all the pain he had caused her was love. The wanker deserved to fry in hell, as far as Spike was concerned, merely because of what he had done to this one girl. And now he had to stand here again and watch her apologize to him, when he should be the one kneeling before her and begging for her forgiveness. When her eyes shamefully looked down at the floor, he squeezed his fists so tightly that he heard a bone in his finger snap. Enough.

“I don't know what you're putting in the water coolers around here, but your secretary just started crying blood and tried to rip me a few new ones,” Spike said, trying to end his torment.

“Harmony?” Angel asked, surprised.

“Yeah. Buffy knocked her out,” Spike said, chancing a glance at the Slayer only to see that she was still refusing to make eye contact with him. ‘Serves you right you stupid git,’ he continued to think to himself.

“As cute as this little conversation is kiddies, the world is still about to go kablooey,” the woman beside Angel, who Buffy had just now noticed, stated. She had a cute, arrogant, sex appeal about her, and Buffy briefly wandered if she and Angel were involved, only to dismiss the idea when she saw the look of pure hatred that Angel shot her.

“Wait,” Buffy said, “you know what’s going on, what’s causing this?”

“You mean Harmony trying to throttle bleach boy?” Angel said. “I’m pretty sure that was just good common sense in action.” He smiled almost evilly at the end of his statement.

“Sod off you pillock! This is your bloody firm. It isn’t my fault you have no idea what’s going on in your own place.

“Actually hero, it is your fault,” the woman said, causing both Spike and Buffy to turn towards her again.
“What the bloody hell do you mean, Eve?”

“And also, did you just refer to Spike as a hero, ‘cause hahaha…” Buffy said as she burst out in mock laughter, mostly trying to anger the bleached vampire she stood next to. Maybe he would leave if she pissed him off enough.

Spike narrowed his eyes, but decided to let that particular comment go, since discussing his heroness or lack thereof in front of the other supposed hero in the hallway, who had slaughtered thousands simply for the pleasure of it, not because he needed to eat, and delighted in torturing countless others seemed pointless to him. Whatever Angel might say, Spike knew which one of them was the real monster.

“There's only supposed to be one candidate for the vampire with the soul hero part in the big show. Two of you, and the wheel of destiny starts to spin off its axis. That's why everything and everyone is going mad,” Eve explained once again.

“Hahahaha…” Buffy started laughing again, still trying to piss Spike off, “Ah, I’m sorry, you used that word again… “hero”…hahaha”.

“This town might not be big enough for the both of you,” Eve continued.

“There’s a right simple fix to that problem then. I’ll leave. Bloody sick of you anyways, Peaches,” Spike replied, still trying to ignore Buffy’s laughter.

“Spike, by town, I mean this entire plane of existence.”

“Sod it, still leaving.” Spike said, suddenly overly eager to get the hell away from the lot of them.

“It won’t help. In fact it would probably make it worse. Much. Worse,” Eve explained.
“Let's not make it worse. We don't want worse. I just went to the white room to see what the big cat had to say,” Gunn said as he walked towards all of them.

“And?” Angel asked.

“Cat's gone.”

“Okay, I’m all unloopy with the not being in the loop here. Cat?” Buffy asked.

“Long story. If the cat is gone, we don’t have any contact with the Senior Partners. We’re alone in this,” Eve said. “If there was just some way to determine which one of you the prophecy's really about, maybe…”

“There’s a prophecy?” Buffy asked, increasingly frustrated that no one was really answering any of her questions.

“I just read the Shanshu prophecy, and I'm telling you, there was nothing in it…” Angel was saying but got interrupted by Spike’s outrage.

“Hold on. You read the prophecy? The one you don't believe in?” Spike said as he looked at Angel who had already rolled his eyes at him and crossed his arms. “Uh, load of rubbish, you said? Well, isn't that bloody interesting.”

“No offense, Angel,” Gunn interfered, before this all got longwinded and yelly, “ What we need is someone who's an expert on the Shanshu scriptures.”

“Fine, but Wesley's not here, “Angel said rather sullenly.

“No, but his department is. Maybe somebody there can…” Eve tried to say, getting interrupted by Angel again.

“Do what? I'm telling you, I read the prophecy.”

“Guys, we really need to get a move on here,” Gunn pleaded.

They all started moving down the hallway when Buffy finally lost her temper. She wasn’t used to being completely ignored.

“Damn it, would somebody care to fill the Slayer in on what the hell’s going on here?” Buffy finally yelled at them.

“No time, Buffy,” Angel said, “I will fill you in after we figure out exactly what’s going on. Until then you should probably head back to your hotel and get some rest. Spike…as much as it physically pains me to say this…we probably need you to be here for this.”

The gang started moving down the hallway again as Buffy sighed heavily in frustration. She was about to follow them out of the hallway when she felt a strong grip on her arm and realized that Spike had lagged behind the others, probably in a stupid attempt to apologize to her again.

“What the hell do you want now, Spike?” Buffy asked, in the most irritated tone she could manage.

Before she could take another breath, the vampire before her had roughly shoved her into the wall behind her, holding her arms by her side almost painfully, and entwining her legs with his in a way that would not permit her to hit him. Eyes that had been the purest blue only seconds before now turned almost black with anger, and Buffy felt a shiver of fear run through her body. She didn’t even try to escape from the position he had her in, despite the fact that she could feel every cell in her body going haywire from being so close to him. Still gripping her tightly, Spike finally replied to her question:

“A word…Slayer.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to all of you guys that have been reviewing my story. I really appreciate it! Also, I know you hate me for stopping this chapter here, but it was getting a lot longer than the other ones and it bothered me.I promise I will update soon.