Author's Chapter Notes:
So, here's chapter 8. Let me know what you think. Also I've decided that I will never actually be able to post a chapter when I say that I will, so I will stop making promises about when I will next post. Just know that I will do my best to make it soon.
She was running again. She seemed to be doing that more and more these days. And not just any kind of running. She was running towards Spike. She wasn’t entirely sure what she hoped to accomplish this time. The first time she had run to find him she’d merely been possessed by the idea of seeing him. She’d had no immediate plans for what came after she saw him. She’d been sure that once she did see him everything would be right in the world again. It hadn’t been.

She wanted to save him of course. But from what? The thought of Spike enduring the eternal torment this cup what sure to bring filled her heart with pain. But at the same time, shouldn’t it be his choice? What right did she have to interfere if he wanted to be human again? Her heart jumped at the idea of being able to feel his heartbeat underneath her hand. Of growing old with him. Of seeing his face the first time he stepped into the sunlight again. Part of her desperately wanted to believe that the prophecy was about Spike. The other didn’t want him to be in pain. And would he even want her? God knew he had every right not to.

Yet another part of her felt guilty that if Spike got to be human Angel wouldn’t. It seemed that Angel had known about this prophecy for a while, and had undoubtedly believed it to be about him. There was no doubt in her mind that he wanted to be human again. She realized that at some point he would have wanted to be human again mainly so he could be with her. She didn’t know if that was still true for him, but if he did get to be human again, didn’t she owe it to herself and to him to give it a shot? He was her first love. A part of her would always be in love with him.

So she was confused. She had no idea what she was going to do once she got to them. Short of stopping Angel and Spike from turning each other into souled piles of dust that is.



She slipped inside the abandoned opera house, hoping that whatever she was supposed to do would magically make itself clear. Sadly the epiphany did not come about, and soon she was looking down at her two ex-lovers and a fight that seemed to have just ended. As she watched, Angel ran towards Spike, half-collapsing on the way over to him. Time seemed to slow down as she watched Spike tilt a shiny goblet that seemed to be the only source of light in the room to his mouth and drink from it. She was going to yell out his name, but the words had somehow died in her mouth. All she could do was continue to stare at him as he poured liquid torment down his throat. The room was drenched in silence and Buffy could feel her heart beating in her ears. It seemed to take an eternity for Spike to finally remove the cup from his mouth and turn to Angel with a baffled look on his face that she couldn’t quite read from this far away.

“It’s…Mountain Dew.”

“Oh, thank God,” Buffy blurted out loudly before she could stop herself.

The two badly beaten vampires turned in surprise at the sound of her voice. Spike raised an eyebrow in question, seemingly intrigued by her presence, as Angel very elegantly said:

“Uh, Buffy…what uh…what are you doing here?”

“You mean besides watching the end of what I am sure was a very manly pissing contest?” Buffy said, trying to disguise her relief that they both seemed to be okay, if a little full of holes. “What the hell is wrong with the two of you? We’re dealing with an apocalypse. We don’t have time for you two to make with the beating each other up.”

“Yeah, well it seems Peaches here suffers from delusions of grandeur. Seemed to think he was still the big, strapping alpha male around here. He needed some setting straight. And as I recall, lo…Slayer, this isn’t really any of your business. Don’t you have a new band of chosen ones to be dealing with right about now?”

Despite the fact that he had almost called her one of his pet names, Spike’s tone was drenched in irritation. He seemed to spit the word “slayer” out with even more venom than before, as if he was frustrated with himself for almost calling her “love”.

“You never did tell us what exactly you were doing here Buffy,” Angel added, while groaning slightly in pain from Spike’s last kick to his ribs.

“Giles sent me,” Buffy replied, her gaze moving away from Spike and the anger she could still see in his eyes, “He said there was some sort of apocalypse coming your way and that I had to figure out who or what was causing it and report back.”

“I’ve always handled LA apocalypses by myself without needing any outside help. Why now?”

“No idea. Giles was all cryptic guy about it. Said it might help us gather our forces in the future or something like that. Also, it wasn’t really a question of you needing help. The seer that saw this apocalypse coming also saw that it would not be a successful one. “

“Now that makes no bloody sense,” Spike said.

“I suggest we get back to the office and figure out what the hell is going on,” Angel added. “I wanna know why Spike isn’t writhing on the ground in pain right now. Buffy, did you drive here?”

“No. Took a cab for part of the way and then ran when the roads got bad,” Buffy replied.

“Okay, well I’ll drive you back then,” Angel said, as they both heard the faint sound of Spike scoffing in the background.

“Actually, Angel, I kind of need to talk to Spike about some things. So I’d like to ride with him if that’s okay.”

She’d said the last part while looking at Spike, hoping that he would agree to this, since once they got back to the office craziness she wasn’t sure there would be any alone time for them to talk in. She watched as quickly masked surprise moved across Spike’s face.

“Fine,” Angel said before Spike could acquiesce or decline, his slight anger evident to both of them, “I’ll see you there.”

Angel has practically flown out of the room after that, leaving the two former lovers alone for the second time that day.

“Geez, how old is he, twelve?”

Spike’s expression turned stunned at Buffy’s comment. He’d never ever heard her say anything bad about the magnificent poof before. At least not while he was his less evil half, Angel. And God forbid that someone else do the Angel-bashing for her. She would immediately rise to his defense.

“What?” Buffy said when she realized that Spike had just been staring at her with the same stunned look for a while.

Spike shook of his shock saying: “Nothing. I just wasn’t aware that the sun wasn’t shining out Angel’s ass anymore.”

“Spike, I didn’t…”

“Look, can we save the heart to heart for the hour or so we have to drive to get back to poofter central? I fancy getting right pissed before the night is over and the only thing they have here is stale Mountain Dew, “ he interrupted, and without waiting to see if she was following him, he started walking towards the exit.




He would have made a grand exit indeed, if two steps into said grand exit he wouldn’t have collapsed, groaning slightly in pain from his wounds. Buffy’s entire body had moved without her even being aware of it. She found herself supporting Spike’s weight, as his hands instinctively grabbed onto her shoulders. Her arms wrapped around him, pressing her body closer to his, in an attempt to keep him from falling.

And before he could even stop himself he had taken a deep, unneeded breath, letting her smell wash over him. Why the fuck did she have to smell so exquisite? He couldn’t do this, not when she was so close to him. He couldn’t play pretend that being this close to her wasn’t driving him up the fucking wall in every way possible. All of his senses focused in on her, without his even consciously demanding it. He could hear the blood pumping away in her veins, feel the hard muscle of her shoulders beneath his palms, and see all the different flecks of green in her eyes. The second their eyes locked, he could smell exactly what their proximity was doing to Buffy as well. He got impossibly harder as he watched her pupils dilate, while her eyes still held the same vulnerability and lack of certainty. Her body stayed pressed up against his, even as he no longer needed help standing up, while his hands remained on her shoulders.

He wanted to let her go and continue walking away. Wanted to get as much distance between them as possible in the next five minutes. Wanted to be able to use his head instead of his unbeating heart quickly followed by his other, much less rational head. But he couldn’t. Not when her eyes were that green, and a flush had started spreading on her golden skin. Not when he could smell how much she wanted him right now.

His face moved to rest in the crook of her neck as he closed his eyes and audibly inhaled her scent this time. Buffy let out a small whimper as she felt his lips almost but not quite graze the sensitive skin on her neck.

“Spike…”

He opened his eyes to pull back and look at her, but when he did so, he saw something that broke him out of his trance. He’d always avoided kissing this side of her neck before because he didn’t want to see it. Didn’t want to see the angry looking bite mark his grandsire had gifted her with. Proof of her eternal devotion to someone who’d nearly succeeded in draining the life out of her, only to leave her a few hours later. Proof of how far she’d gone to keep the vampire who wouldn’t have deserved her even when he was human. Proof also of who he would never be to her. Of what she would never feel for him.

He pulled back so abruptly that Buffy almost lost her balance as he flew out of her embrace.

“Let’s go,” he said curtly, as if nothing at all had happened, resuming his walk towards the exit, making Buffy doubt that it had really ever happened at all.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm sure you all slightly hate me for delaying the Spuffy for so long, but I promise I will eventually get there.

Also, a big thank you to everyone who is reviewing. I wish I had time to answer all of your reviews, but sadly that would cut down on my writing time as well, making me post even less often. But do keep in mind that I do grealty appreciate and read all of them. Thanks!