Buffy hummed a song to herself as she towelled off, she was in a great mood. She’d seen Parker get his ass handed to him, her team had beat the crap out of their rivals, and she’d met a super delicious piece of man-meat just a few hours ago. As far as good nights went, this one was up there.

She walked passed Dawn’s room, and smiled softly while she closed the door to the snoring girls room.

It had been hard, taking over as caretaker for the family once her mother had passed away, but with her friends support and Rupert’s fatherly affections for the girls she’d done ok.

She had just plunked herself down on the bed, naked and uncaring, when her phone rang. She snatched it off the hook immediately, Dawn could sleep through a tornado so she wasn’t worried, rather she was more curious as to who would be calling this late at night, it was already midnight.

“Hello?”

“’Lo cutie,” came the sexy-as-sin British voice and she subdued the feminine squeal that wanted to erupt from her.

“Hello stud.” She could hear him chuckle and smiled into the phone, “Any reason in particular your harassing me at this time?” she asked teasingly.

A beat.

“You busy?”

She snorted into the phone, “Ya’, I’m super busy Spike. Midnight is when I do all my errands.”

“Point taken kitten…want some company?”

She rolled the question around for a minute in her head, she wasn’t tired, he didn’t frighten her, so why not, right?

“Sure, we’ll have to hang out outside though, I don’t want to wake my little sister up.”

“Not worried about waking your parents up?” he asked, genuinely curious.

She didn’t feel like getting into her semi-orphaned semi-abandoned issues over the phone so she decided to just say ‘no’.

“Naughty girl, gimme your address and I’ll be right over.”
“1630 Revello drive, where you coming from?”

“You’re kidding right?”

“Noooooo,” she answered, clearly confused.

He just laughed, “I’ll be over in a mo’ luv.”

“See you soon” she answered, hanging up and reaching for a fresh set of short-shorts and a tank, an ensemble Buffy Summers practically lived in, and pulling her hair into a messy bun. She left her skin completely make-up free, adding only a little bit of lip gloss.

Pulling on her favourite sneakers she bounded down the stairs and ran out the door, only to run into a man-shaped solid wall.

“Easy there princess, you alright?”

She nodded and giggled, “Sorry, I didn’t expect you to be here so soon.”

He smiled and followed her as she pranced to the back yard so they could sit on the porch and talk.

“Funny thing that is,” he said with an easy smile she found herself drawn to, “I hopped my backyard fence and here I am.”

Her eyes widened, “You guys are staying there?”

“Yup, it’s ours ’til the end of summer, once the tournament is over.”

She plopped herself down on the stairs and he opted to sit right behind her, pulling her in a little to lean against him while he gave her a shoulder massage that implied a familiarity they didn’t have, but she didn’t budge so he didn’t bother to ask if it was ok. The girls muscles were tense though, he was about to ask her why she was so stressed when she interrupted his thoughts.

“What tournament?”

“Don’t rightly know much about it, I do know that it’s a 13 game tournament for the U.S.A Roller Derby Crown, some new thing they came up with to no doubt draw in some more crowds. Your manager should be telling you girls all about it tomorrow, I think my manager met up with him for dinner tonight or something like that to talk about it with him.”

“So I get to see you all summer then?”

She’d asked it casually, but he couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face as quick as wildfire, thankfully she couldn’t see what a ponce he looked like at that particular moment with her back turned to him.

“You asking me out Summers?”, he teased, his fingers moving from her shoulders to massage her neck.

She moaned at the feeling and he found himself suddenly hard.

“Nope,” he could practically hear her smiling and leaned in so that his mouth was right next to her ear.

“You sure gorgeous?”

She shivered under his touch, the sexy husky tone he’d used not helping her remain focused at all.

“I don’t do boyfriends,” she said, wincing as soon as the sentence left her mouth, knowing how he would take it somehow.

“Hmmm, and who exactly, do you do, Buffy Summers?”

She let herself go lax against him, leaving an opening for him to press a kiss into her neck that had her shifting her legs.

“Whoever I want to.”

“But no boyfriends?”

“No.”

“Why?”, his mind, it seemed, was not the only curious thing he owned, and with a mind seemingly of it’s own his hand came up to trace her collarbone, dipping dangerously low to her barely covered breasts.

“You don’t know me,” she whispered up to him, eyes on the stars in the sky, “why do you care?”

“Because I want to know you, and I would appreciate the luxury of being the only person allowed to,” his wandering hand cupped her breast so softly she could barely tell it was happening, “do things like this to you.”

“It’s too fast,” she tried to argue and pouted when he laughed at her, twisting herself around to look him in the eyes.

“Life’s not too fast Buffy, people are just too slow…look at that lip…”

She pulled back a little and he suppressed a small sigh, “I know I come on strong, and I can admit I’m being to grabby with you and I apologize,” his hands releasing her as he spoke, “but it’s been a long time since I’ve met a girl I actually wanted to get to know and I can honestly say I’m just plain out smitten by you Summers, you’re the most adorable thing I’ve ever laid eyes on, you’re spunky and funny…”, he ran a hand through his hair, “should I go?” he asked softly.

For the first time in a long time Buffy felt something inside her telling her to give this guy, at the very least, a crumb.It had been a long time since she'd been so attracted, if ever, to anyone as much as she was to Spike. In the span of a night he'd managed to protect her, challenge her, make her angry, make her laugh, and make her want...want more than she'd allowed herself to have with a man in a very long time, if not more, she admitted to herself with an inner smile. Screw social etiquette, this was the 70's soon to be 80's, the social norms of the 50's now long forgotten.

“You’re not too grabby” she said with a small smile, leaning in for a kiss meant to make him breathless.