The silence began to feel awkward so Spike cleared his throat, “Pet, got a quick phone call to make, I’ll just be outside for a sec ok?”


“Who are you calling?” Buffy blurted out the words before she could stop herself. She knew she had no right to ask, but his calling someone so soon after Vix departure had her green eyed monster sitting up for attention.


Spike raised an eyebrow, “No one you know slayer. Won’t be a minute, I’ll make us somethin to eat when I’m done.”


Buffy nodded and watched him pick up his phone and head out the front door. Almost against her will she floated to the window and studied him. He looked tense for a second, obviously waiting for someone to pick up, but then his face relaxed into pleasure. The affection that lit up his features was breathtaking to behold, and the curiosity to know who it was that inspired such feelings in Spike burned strongly within her. He was laughing, and he suddenly looked so young. Buffy felt something pang in her chest. He wasn’t on the phone long, and seemed wistful when he had hung up. Buffy drew away from the window, reluctant for him to know that she had effectively spied on what had clearly been a personal conversation.


Spike came back in and gave her a smile before heading into the kitchen. He left the door open, hoping that Buffy would follow him in, which she did without hesitation.
As Spike clattered around putting some kind of meal together they both silently replayed their conversations with Vix.


Buffy unknowingly imitated Spikes head tilt as she watched him move so fluidly around, her eyes straying from the bunching muscles in his forearms to the sharp planes of his jaw, and his impossibly blue eyes. She didn’t know what this was that they had between them, but it was something that couldn’t be denied, and the thought of hurting him in any way seemed impossible to her. She would never hurt him, no matter what Vix thought. She couldn’t hurt him.



Spike was well aware of Buffy’s eyes upon him. He wondered desperately what Vix had said to her. He was still confused about what she had said to him. The draw he felt to this slayer was stronger than anything he had known before, but the thought that it had been pre planned, contrived in some way, bothered him. He didn’t want to think that they had been manoeuvred into position, made to fall in lov- in to whatever this was. The powers that be had played him enough, surely the feelings he had for the slayer weren’t due to them?


Whatever Spike was cooking smelt good, and Buffy couldn’t stop her stomach rumbling. The tension between them was broken as Spike chuckled at the sound. He somehow managed to pick up two plates, a mug and a can of diet coke, and lead the way back into the living room. He placed everything on the coffee table and sat on the couch, waiting, a little apprehensively, to see if Buffy would sit beside him.


He needn’t have worried, Buffy snuggled into his side as though it was the only place she belonged, and he couldn’t help giving her a delighted squeeze. She kissed the juncture of his neck in return and his breath hissed in his throat. Only the thought that the slayer really needed to eat stopped him from taking things further. He handed her a plate of some delicious looking spaghetti thing and she attacked it with such gusto Spike had to laugh.


Buffy elbowed him in the ribs and he started to eat his own. They didn’t talk but the silence was the comfortable one of two people totally at ease with each other. Once they were finished Spike picked up his mug, planning on drinking his blood down quickly, telling the slayer about the werewolf threat, and making her work up a sweat. By sparing.



Buffy stopped him before he had taken his first sip.


“Spike?”


“Yes luv?”


“What kind of blood do you drink? I was thinking that you might be over at my house quite a bit, maybe. And it might be good to get some blood in, just in case you get hungry.”


Spike was ridiculously touched. He hardly ever drank blood around the slayer, didn’t want to weird her out too much, but the fact that she would willingly get blood, and keep it in her home, just for him, touched him deeply. It was her way of saying he was always welcome. He had so rarely been welcome anywhere before.


“What kind of blood did Angel drink?” Spike hated saying the name, but it was something he had been curious about.


Buffy wrinkled her forehead in thought. The fact that she had to think about it pleased Spike for some reason. “I think he said once that he drank pigs blood.” Buffy screwed up her nose in distaste, “But that doesn’t sound very nice. What do you like?”



Spike was a little reluctant to answer; he wasn’t sure how Buffy would react. He couldn’t lie to her though, it wasn’t his way. “Well pet, the thing is... I don’t really go in for animal blood. It weakens you you see, and it doesn’t sate the hunger the same way. It stops it getting out of control, but it doesn’t satisfy it. And it tastes soddin awful. I, uh, I drink human blood.”


Spike had expected Buffy to pull violently away from him, or get angry and shout, but she didn’t move from her position on his chest, or stop playing with the edge of his t-shirt. “Oh. Where can you get that then?”


Spike couldn’t believe how totally unconcerned she sounded, “Well, I usually strike a deal with the local hospital in whatever town I’m in, I take any expired blood they have and donate money towards whatever cause they have goin.”


“I wouldn’t think they had that much blood going spare in Sunnydale, with the amount of people that get attacked.”


Spike ran his hand through her silky hair and she shivered. “They have enough for me, not full vamp pet. Don’t need that much really. Drinkin every other day does me fine.”


Buffy didn’t say anything, but snuggled into him more, and held him more tightly. Spike didn’t know what to make of her silence, so he kept silent himself, waited for her to speak. If he had had any idea of what was going round her head at that moment it would have floored him completely.


Buffy didn’t see anything wrong with what Spike had been doing. She knew the thought of him drinking human blood should have bothered her, but for some reason it really didn’t. It was part of who he was. It wasn’t really a choice for him, he needed it to live as much as she needed pizza. And why would he drink animal blood when there was human blood on offer which would just be thrown away anyway? She’d noticed how he hardly ever drank around her, and ate human food when he was offered it. She knew he did it to make her feel more comfortable, and it was sweet (something Angel would certainly have never done), but there was no getting away from the fact that he was a vamp, partly anyway. He needed blood, and not drinking often enough could weaken him...


“Spike?”


“Yes pet?”


“Isn’t slayer blood like a super concentrated kind of blood?”


Spike stiffened, he wasn’t sure where Buffy was going with this, but he was intrigued to find out. “Well, yeah, guess you could put it like that.”


“So you wouldn’t need to drink much of it?”


Spike squished the hopes that were flaring in his chest right down. “Well, a couple of sips would probably do a vamp a couple of days. Wouldn’t need to drink much, but I don’t rightly know pet.”


Buffy’s next words were so quiet Spike could barely hear them, and so incredible he could barely believe them.


“You could drink from me you know.”


“What?”


Buffy was mumbling, as though embarrassed, but there was no mistaking her meaning. “You can drink from me sometimes, when you need to.”


Spike was lost for words. Offering to keep blood in her house for him was one thing, offering her own blood was something else entirely. By offering she was saying she knew he wouldn’t take too much, she was proving how much she trusted him, and it meant more to him then he could express. He was tempted, sorely tempted, but he wouldn’t drink from her for just for his own benefit, not when he couldn’t give her something as important in return.
He pulled her up so he could look at her face. When she wouldn’t meet his eyes he raised her chin gently with his finger, coaxing her to raise her gaze to his. When she did he saw that she was completely serious. He lowered his mouth, intending to kiss her, but she tilted her head, offering her neck. He groaned and ran his lips over it. Buffy tensed, bracing herself for the pain, but it didn’t come. Instead of biting her he ran his tongue sensuously along her pulse point, along her jaw.


Buffy felt her heart rate rocket. “Aren’t you hungry?”


Spike chuckled. “Oh I’m hungry slayer. Just not for blood.”


Buffy blushed furiously. “Don’t you want to drink from me?”


Spike looked at her, and the emotions in his eyes were overwhelming. “You offering means so much to me luv, more than I can say. But I won’t drink from you, not when there’s no need. Maybe one day you’ll want me to bite you, not to please me, but because you want it. Then I will.”



Buffy opened her mouth to argue, but he filled it with his tongue and her mind went deliriously pleasure blank.


Before either of them lost themselves completely Spike pulled back, leaving them both panting for air, and Buffy seriously pouty.


Spike grinned and kissed the end of her nose, “Sorry luv, as much as I want to do that all night, I have got somethin to tell you. I had a vision earlier...”



To Spikes amusement, and exasperation, Buffy was totally unconcerned by the fact he had seen a werewolf at her back, lunging for the kill.


She waved her hand airily, “We’ll find it and kill it way before the full moon. And if we don’t you’ll have my back. The thing won’t have a chance.”


Spike agreed, but he didn’t want her to get complacent. As he knew only too well a complacent slayer was a dead slayer. And he wouldn’t let this slayer die. Not this one.


Speaking to Vix earlier had reminded Spike of how little Buffy really knew about him. She knew some of the facts, the generic stuff that didn’t really matter, but there was so much she had no idea of. So many secrets he hadn’t shared. He wanted to tell her everything, he did, but he couldn’t. Not yet. Not until he was certain that there was more between them than a mind blowing sexual chemistry. There was on his side, a lot more. But on hers? He didn’t know. She had loved the great poof, he knew that, and she had loved him so recently. As boring and brooding as Angel was, it was unlikely she’d be over him yet. Spike wanted the slayer, desperately, but he didn’t want to be a rebound. He’d had more than enough of being second best. He couldn’t give himself to Buffy completely, couldn’t totally let her in, until he knew that she was ready to do the same. Until that time came, if it ever did, he was going to enjoy every second he had with her. He captured her lips.



It had gotten late; they had never got round to sparing and Buffy had yet to patrol.
They were lying on the sofa, had been for hours, just stroking and caressing each other with heavenly touches. They were fully clothed, and the ache for more raged in each of them, threatening every second to be beyond their control, but both were reluctant to take things further tonight, not when what they had was so exquisite in its perfection.


Buffy knew she should patrol, should go home to her mother and sleep in her own bed. Spike knew he should make her, knew her duty should come first, but neither made any attempt to move.


That was the first night they fell asleep in each other’s arms.