Buffy was tired. She was beyond tired. After Spikes departure Giles had kept her at the library until night had well and truly fallen. They had poured over the cryptic list of clues until the words had started to blur into a seething mass of shapes, and they still didn’t have a clue about what they meant.



In the end Giles grew tired of Buffy’s alternate yawns and moans and offered to drive her home.



Buffy smirked, “No offence Giles but I’d probably get home quicker walking”.



Giles had huffed but couldn’t disagree. “Buffy, I wouldn’t patrol tonight, not alone. Until we know more about Drusilla’s location and the amount of minions she has under her control it’s just too risky. If uh, Angel, wanted to patrol with you, um, that might be alright.”



Buffy smiled. Giles was still uncomfortable about Angels’ presence in her life, but he was trying to be okay with it.



“Actually Giles, I’m kinda beat, think I might just head home. Moms out of town for a couple of days so I’m gonna make the most of having control of the TV.”



Giles became animated, “Oh, well, there’s a very interesting sounding documentary on the discovery channel tonight about species of reptiles indigenous to South America...” Giles caught sight of Buffy’s expression and deflated. “Or not”.



Buffy gave him a wry grin. “That’s a definite not, Buffy and documentaries are unmixy things.”



Giles sighed. “I thought as much. I doubt I’ll be able to concentrate on it myself, I still can’t believe I’ve met William the Bloody! There are some people on the council I’d love to rub this in the face of!”



Giles looked so ridiculously proud and happy that, as annoying as Spike was proving to be, and as useless as she thought his ‘helpful list’ sounded, Buffy was glad he had come.



“Night Giles, If any mentally challenged homicidal vampresses come knocking I’ll give you a call.”





Giles was so giddy he actually rolled his eyes. “Goodnight Buffy”.





Buffy reached the driveway to her house without incident and was about to go on in when she felt the tinglies. Very particular tinglies. Spike type tinglies.





Her initial feeling was excitement. He hadn’t gone! Not that she cared whether he was around of course. Really. But she could ask him about his dumb list of supposed ‘help’. And stare a bit at his face. In a very non obvious way.





Then she realised her bedroom light was on. Spike was in her house. Her house. What the hell was he doing in her house? What the hell was he doing in her room!





Excitement gave way to anger. Buffy saw red. She very nearly kicked her own front door in, managing to hold back with difficulty. She barrelled up the stairs and got to her room, where she was halted in her tracks by the sight in front of her.



Spike was sprawled out on her bed as though he owned the place. He hadn’t bothered to take his boots off but his duster had been thrown casually on the floor. He had Mr Gordo on his lap and was stroking him absentmindedly while reading a book. The sight of him petting her stuffed pig was so very odd Buffy almost didn’t notice how very nice he looked in his tight tee. Almost. He hadn’t even looked up yet, which, considering the noise Buffy had made coming up the stairs, was weird. He seemed very absorbed in his book. Her book. Oh. Dear. God. HER DIARY. HE WAS READING HER DIARY.





Buffy screamed and launched herself across the room. She didn’t see Spikes smirk as she landed on top of him and threw the book out of his hands.





“Aw, It was just getting interesting!”





Buffy was burning with rage and embarrassment. She drew back her fist and swung it at his stupid sexy annoying face with all her strength.



Spike caught her fist with ease and held it. Buffy’s breath caught as his eyebrow rose and he bit down on his full bottom lip. He dragged his gaze across Buffy’s length, his eyes lingering at the point where their bodies were touching. “Well, this is getting interesting too.”



Buffy suddenly realised she was straddling him and jumped away so violently she lost her footing and fell on the floor.



Spike chuckled as he looked at her tangle of limbs. “You looked more comfortable where you were pet.”



Buffy got to her feet. She was shaking with anger. Anger and something else she wasn’t quite sure about.



Her voice was low and menacing as she said “What the hell are you doing here?”



Spike’s eyes widened in mock surprise and he said slowly, as though speaking to a very stupid child, “Well, right now I’m lying on your bed. Before you threw yourself at me, I was reading an interesting book about a slightly whiny teenage girl, finding out about her life, her massive foreheaded loves... that sorta thing.”





Buffy went to punch him again, using all her slayer speed and strength. She wasn’t quick enough. Spike was suddenly no longer on the bed, Buffy succeeded only in creating a cracked headboard and a very dented pillow.

She whirled around and Spike was leaning against the wall, his head tilted to one side. “Now now pet, that’s not playing nice”



Buffy swung another punch, and again, he caught it with ease. This time he released her straight away. In the blink of an eye he was gone. She felt his breath tickle the back of her neck, heard him whisper “Catch me if you can slayer”, but in the second it took her to turn around he was gone again. She spun around, over and over, but she never caught a glimpse of him or heard him move.

She cried out in frustration and Spike was suddenly in front of her.



Buffy stomped her foot so hard the floor shook. “How are you doing that?!”





Spike chuckled. “You might have slayer speed pet but you don’t have a bloody thing on me. Now, I’ve come back to see you, completely ruining my earlier dramatic exit, for a reason. So why don’t we get down to it eh?”





She ignored the blatant innuendo. Spikes speed was beyond anything Buffy had witnessed in any other being, it enraged, frightened and thrilled her all at once. She knew trying to hit him again would be pointless, but she was tempted to try to anyway. If she hadn’t wanted so badly to find out why he’d invaded her space and risked a slaying she would have.



She narrowed her eyes. “I don’t like you.”



Spike smirked. “I’d dispute that but we don’t have the time”.



“Why? Do you turn into a pumpkin at midnight or something?” Buffy cringed at her very Xanderish joke.



“Maybe, I am a peach the rest of the time so who knows?”



Buffy sighed, slightly relieved that his joke was worse then hers, and flopped onto her bed. “Are you here to give me some less crypticy clues about whats coming up? Cos honestly, your list-not massively helpful.”





Spike shook his head. “I can’t tell you more then I have. I would if I could. Well, probably.”





“What are you here for then? Unlike you I’m not a half breed undead creature, so I need my sleep.”





Spike made as though to sit on the bed, but after seeing Buffy’s expression he pulled out her chair instead. “I just figured that seein as how I can’t really tell you what’s going to come I’d answer some of your questions about me before I swept off, in a dramatic (but not brooding manner), into the night. Only seemed fair that if your gonna trust what I say (and you should) that you know me a bit better”.





Buffy went to speak but Spike cut her off. “I won’t answer any questions about Peaches, not yet, so don’t even ask. You can ask me pretty much anything else though.” He pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and went to light it, but this time Buffy was quicker, catching it and throwing it out the open window.



“Okayyyyyyy then, I’ll wave my judgement over how much of an ass you are until we’re done. Though I’m pretty sure you’re a major ass by the way. So, how did you get in here?”



Spike looked expressively at the window. “For a slayer of demons and vamps you’re not very security conscious.”



“No, I meant how did you get in without an invitation?”



“I don’t need one” Spike sounded smug. “One of the perks of only being a ‘half breed’, no barriers. I could walk in here any time I wanted...”



“You just try it”. Buffy had acquired a stake from somewhere and was twirling it in a somewhat menacing manner. Spike wisely kept his mouth shut for once. “



“So how'd you do that super speed thing?"

"Well I'm half vampire and half slayer, It seems that I got their combined strength and speed. lucky me."



Buffy almost wished she was half vampire, she would love to be able to move like that. "So you’re ok to go out in the sunlight and stuff?” This was that part that had really intrigued Buffy. She often thought about Angel not being able to go out in the sunlight and how much it majorly, majorly sucked.



“Well I can trot about like a merry thing for a couple of hours, as long as it’s not mid-day or anythin. I start to get a bit Kentucky fried if I’m out too long. Won’t be goin sunbathin anytime soon, but walking around in the day generally is a can do.”



“Oh. What about Holy water and crosses?”



“They tickle a bit” He leered, “But in a good way”.



Buffy glared. “You’re a pig”.



Spike shook his head and picked up Mr Gordo with his weird superhuman speed. “No. This-pig. Me-Spike. Don’t worry pet, we’ll get there.”





Buffy glared and threw her alarm clock at him. He caught it with a wink which Buffy ignored.

“So, this whole seeing the future thingy then, how does that work?”



“I see the future.”



Buffy almost growled. “I KNOW that, I meant like, how far ahead can you see and stuff? Do you see it in black and white or full technicolour?”



Spike scratched his chin. “That’s actually a bit odd now that you mention it. Before... before you came along, and messed up my soddin life I mean, I never saw that far ahead. I usually saw things just in the nic of time, only hours before, a week at the most. Now, with you, I can see what’s gonna happen in a few months time. Its bloody odd. Probably somethin to do with the wankers that be, somethin I have to ask them about at some point. An I might be a half breed, but I’m not a dog, I see in colour thank you very much.”



Buffy suddenly went quiet. When she spoke again her voice was quiet.



“Spike... is everything you see, in my future I mean, is it all... bad?”



Spike looked as though he was about to give a smart ass retort so he surprised her when he said quite gently, “No Buffy, it’s not all goin to be bad.”



Buffy gave a small smile. “Thank you Spike. So... was everything Giles told me about your... your parents true?”



Spike squirmed and looked a bit uncomfortable. “I didn’t hear everythin he said, but what I did, and what the watchers usually say, yeah that’s true.”



Spikes expression made Buffy wish she’d never asked. He stood up abruptly and scratched his head. Some of his hair came loose of the gel and sprung up in curls Buffy thought were pretty damn cute.



“Is there anythin else you wanted to know?”



“Yeah... I know you said I couldn’t ask about peac-Angel and how you know him, but I was wondering... I mean, can you see... do you know... if he cares about me?”



Spike seemed to be struggling with himself for a minute. When he did reply it was obviously not what he wanted to say. “Yeah Slayer, he cares about you. He cares about you a lot more then you realise. But he’ll show you, soon, how much you mean to him. Your... your his unlife” He muttered something that sounded suspiciously like "Stupid git" but Buffy didn't care.



She felt a happy little glow of warmth in her chest. Maybe Spike wasn’t such an ass after all. “So, where are you going now?”



Spike looked distant for a moment, and Buffy realised that he wore that expression when he was seeing something beyond the present moment, when he was having a vision. He blinked and answered her question as though he had been with her the whole time. “I won’t be goin far, but I’m needed elsewhere at the mo.”



“Oh”. Buffy felt a pang of something suspiciously like jealousy. He was supposed to be her saviour wasn’t he? “So when will you be back?”



Spike looked at her through lowered eyelashes, “When you need me slayer, when you need me.”



He grabbed his duster off the floor. “Look, you’re tired pet, we’ll talk more when I’m back. Until then try and keep that perky lil ass of yours safe ok?”



Buffy surprised herself by not feeling disgusted by this comment, Spike’s bizarre attitude was growing on her quicker then expected. Before she’d thought about it she replied “You too”.



Spike grinned at her and winked. He climbed onto the window sill, gave her one last nod and then jumped. By the time Buffy got to the window he was out of sight.



***

Angel had started to fill Buffy’s heart, but unbeknown to her a section had been roped off that night, a section which would never belong to him.