Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! This is the last chapter I'm afraid :,( but it has been so much fun writing this one! I hope you all enjoyed it! So, I was thinking about writing a version of Spuffy beauty and the beast? Thoughts? Let me know. Please review and enjoy!
"William!” she spluttered as the waves pushed her down again.

. . . . . . . .

Earlier
The Queen heard the Rake’s defeatist cry. She tried to see him with the forests’ many eyes, but he was invisible on the other side of Annan. Drusilla looked for her son, but he and the girl were mysteriously missing. What if the Rake had turned on her son? What if the girl and the Rake had teamed up to bring about his downfall?

The Queen was furious that she had been toyed with. And her son? He was without protection, just the same as when he was an infant. She rushed to the river in an effort to save him from the scourge of the outside world.


. . . . . . . .

Without a second thought, William launched himself into the river. He had to save Buffy and the child!

Swimming with his eyes open, he searched for her. Despite the sting that it caused and the waves crashing above, pushing him farther away from her, he was too driven to give up. As he swam, William thought he heard a small scream. Praying it wasn’t Buffy he swam faster.

And then, there she was; floating with her eyes closed, a wash of red water beside her head.

. . . . . . . .

As the Queen reached the strange calm of the waters, she saw her William running on the opposite shore. She wondered how he did it with no magic of his own.

“William!” she bellowed, but he was too far away. She had to reach him before he made the worst mistake of all. Drusilla, believing the river had changed its violent ways, dipped her roots in. Abruptly, a might whirlpool began in the middle of the banks in an attempt to suck her in. After all, the river was promised the Prince’s bones and had no eyes to seek the difference.

The Queen was much too powerful to give in to the demands of the river. She could simply fly across if it would not cooperate. However, as she turned back toward her shore a spray of gold dust blew in her eyes.


. . . . . . . .

“No!!” he screamed beneath the water as he paddled toward her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and kicked them towards the surface. After taking a large breath, he shook Buffy’s unconscious body. “Buffy?” he cried before the river smashed over them.

Sputtering out, William used the last of his energy to swim her to the shore. The water had different plan, however. As if the current grabbed his legs, he was pulled backward by the infamous waterway.

He growled and swam faster, not letting go of his love for a moment. When his bones felt like they could break any minute, his hand grasped the sands and stones of the shoreline.

William laid Buffy across the sand, not knowing how to help her. It seemed she hit her head on a rock. Tears streamed down his cheeks, mixing with the droplets of water on his skin.

“Wake up!” he cried, collapsing beside her.

. . . . . . . .

“What is this?! I demand to know!” she shrieked. In her blindness she could not recognize the land as the vacuous river brought her closer to its center. Her screams were lost against the rough current that eventually toppled over her head. Her roots sunk into the water’s floor beyond her consent.

She normally didn’t need to breath for her magic was powerful indeed. This had proved helpful in the past, but was became an annoyance. No matter how hard she pulled, her roots would not budge from the sands below. Her cries of “Help!” were lost amongst the waves.

Her power had depleted immensely after leaving her shore. Besides her ability to breath, she could no longer see through the eyes of the forest, could not control her son and take him from the wretched girl who stole him away. She was helpless.

She searched for some savior, but only saw the sun glimmering above the surface. The Queen sighed a series of bubbles; she always knew William couldn’t survive without her. The last of her magic disappeared when the water washed it away.


. . . . . . . .

Buffy hadn’t moved or breathed. William refused to give up, but he did not know how to help. All hope was lost. As his heart broke, he kissed her softly.

“Please wake up my love. Please…” he whispered in the crook of her neck.

“Want me to give it a try?” a loud, cockney accent interrupted his wallowing.

“What?”

“I said, do ya want me to give it a try?” spoke the pixie.

“Don’t I know you?” William asked.

“Yeah, Edith the pixie at your service, but does it matter when your lover dies?” William nodded and moved aside. He didn’t know who to pray to, but he prayed nonetheless. The pixie lifted a small bag and turned it inside out. A flurry of gold dust fell lightly on the wound and healed it. William saw magic previously, but none compared to the beauty of this particular spell.

Buffy coughed and spluttered water as she rolled to her side. William was so in awe that he could not say a word. His happiness was far too great to express with speech. He patted her back in what he hoped was a helpful maneuver. Finally, she opened her glorious green eyes and looked at him. A weak smile bloomed across her face as they embraced.

“Oh William, I thought I was done for,” she said huskily.

“Buffy, I thought you were done for, I thought…” he couldn’t finish his statement as got choked up.

“But William…”

“What my love?” he asked as he cradled her closer.

“The sun!” she breathed. William turned around and indeed the sun was close to rising over the hills.

“All in the master plan,” the pixie made her presence known again. “You don’ have to be a fawn anymore.” He paused for a moment and though it over.

“What can I do to repay you?” he asked softly, inwardly refusing to make another deal. But the deal! Why did the river set him free?

“Nothing to repay. Let me explain this… The Queen was angry with you, William. She ran right into the river and got sucked down. The river thought it was you! Now she’s down there and you’re up ‘ere.”

“She’s down there?” he asked.

“Well, what’s left o’ her I expect.” William didn’t know how to feel. His mother died in his place, but she never let him live his own life. A multitude of emotions shook through him, yet he only shed a single tear. And then, it occurred to him….

“Her magic is done then? So I can be a man in the sunlight?!”

“Well, you are now, ain’t ya?” she said with a giggle. He yelled happily and once again hugged Buffy, who was equally ecstatic.

“I’m glad your happy ‘bout it, but it’s not you we are interested in. We are interested in the baby.” That quieted the couple quickly.

“What do you mean?” William eyed her suspiciously.

“Well, the Queen is gone and the above, the powers, they want a new one. They predict tha the baby will be the new one. One day, anyway.”

“Really?” Buffy spoke up.

“Yeah! It’s so exciting, isn’t it? I disliked the last Queen… although she was great fun to play with.” The couple chuckled awkwardly, not understanding the joke.

“D-does this mean you have to… t-take her away?”

“Nah, she’ll just grow up to Queen. She’s got the magic still inside her cause the magic was in William at the time he planted her.” She smiled happily.

“So that’s why you saved me in the castle?” Buffy asked.

“Course! Can’t have the Queen tortured and killed, now can we? Well, I must go. Good morning!” the pixie disappeared with a pop of smoke. The couple stared blankly at the leftover smoke, then turned to one another. They kissed passionately once more.

William lifted her to a standing position and let her lean on his shoulder.

“There will be no more hazards of love for us, my darling.” He promised before kissing her forehead, And as they walked down the beach, hand in hand, they watched the sunrise together for the first time.

THE END


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did! Btw, in case anyone wondered I changed the ending of the actual story... Originally, the queen stays in the forest and William and "Margaret" (Buffy in this story) decide to give up their lives in Annan because she doesn't want to live without him and he made a deal. They drown together tragically, vowing to love one another for eternity. Gorgeous gorgeous ending... buuuut I can't do that to my favorite characters!