Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! I'm glad you are enjoying it so far. Please review! I swear to post faster with reviews :D
William paced the edge of the forest. Perhaps it was finally the night she would return. Buffy: the woman who haunted his dreams, tempting him towards madness. She promised to return, but several months had passed.

Time had never meant much to William until the day she stormed in and out of his life. Now, every second without her seemed a lifetime. He kicked a bit of earth in frustration.

Where was she?

He would have looked for her himself, but he was tied down. When he was little, the Queen thought that the best way to protect him was to confine him to the forest. He could not go past the edge, no matter how hard he tried. He begged his mother to let him leave, but she turned away in disgust, filling his conscience with guilt.

When William told his mother about the beauty of his beloved, her eyes turned red in fury. ‘How dare you defy me?’ she yelled. Although she seemed to relax when he mentioned Buffy’s departure, she was clearly distraught. As a result, she watched him closely through the trees and the creatures of the forest. William was not stupid and knew what his mother was doing. He heard the sounds of the animals following him and the birds chattering away in the treetops.

He wanted to be a good son, he truly did, but he wanted Buffy more. Despite the fact that his mother had saved him from the violent river, he wanted to leave her side and be with Buffy.

Kicking the dirt once again, he smelled the sunrise on its way. Another night wasted.

Had she forgotten him? He missed her with every fiber of his existence, and yet he could not find the strength to break through the magical wall between the forest and the realm outside. He wondered what it was like out there, if Buffy was happier where she was.

The change began as the sun rose. The ground shook for a moment as he completed his transformation. His mother would be waiting for him. William scampered back into the depths of the trees. will wait again tomorrow night, he thought.

. . . . . . . .

Buffy had to be sure that everyone was asleep before she left. When soft snores echoed through the household, she knew it was time. Silent tears streamed down her cheeks as she finished packing her bag with food and a few pieces of clothing.

When she returned to the village the last time, her father forced her to remain in the house for several days. He said she had to marry Riley, despite her constant berating of his personality. The more she complained and fought, the more her father refused to change his mind. He kept her under lock and key or watchful eye for months; he told her when she could leave the house. But all she wanted was to see William; all day and night, it was all she thought about.

The only other reason she stayed as long as she did was because Buffy did not want to leave her mother. Although she could be harsh, Joyce adored her. And yet, no amount of love could move past sleeping with a stranger and getting pregnant. Buffy would be disowned in the best-case scenario. She was beginning to show and time was running out. Leaving was the only option, now.

“Goodbye,” she whispered to the slumbering household.

Buffy rode out into the distance, past Offa’s wall and into the taiga. It was much further away than she remembered, but she was confident she could find it soon enough. Luckily, it displayed itself proudly in a small clearing. Although Glory was once again afraid of the woodland, Buffy tried to comfort her as she led her in. But some rustling in the leaves caused the horse to run out of her grasp and back into the clearing. It was just as well for the trees were far too narrow for a girl and her steed. After saying goodbye, she watched the sun rise on the edge.

Taking a deep breath, she once again stepped into the woods. The trees seemed to chatter as the wind blew and the leaves whispered as they grazed the ground. Unnerving as it was, Buffy kept her fears at bay and continued into the depths.

The girl had not counted on the unbelievable size of the land and found herself utterly lost. Buffy prayed to whatever almighty power was out there to make a path for her; how else would she find a fawn in the woods?

Oh William she thought, come to me.

Exactly how much time had passed was difficult to tell without the harsh light of day to guide her. When her bones ached from walking and her stomach growled crossly, she decided to rest. She could find William just as well later on. She stretched her arms as she yawned and lay out in a clover bed. Before closing her eyes, however, she noticed a break in the trees. Smiling, she drifted off, unaware of the figure only a few feet away.

. . . . . . . .

He could smell her. Excitement flooded through him as he contemplated the idea that she was close. He could recognize her sweet scent anywhere. Sniffing the bark of the trees, the leaves below him, he concluded that she had been there only moments ago. Passing the particularly strong aroma of his love, he bounded in the direction where her path might have led her.

She couldn’t be far.

. . . . . . . .

The Queen watched the scene unfold through the many eyes of the forest.

While her ingenious spell had worked perfectly in not allowing the children see one another, she fumed as William continued his search. She observed as he frantically bolted through the brush, trying to pick up her scent once again. How dare he defy her so blatantly? She raised the boy, gave him life and protected him from the evils of the outside world. And what thanks did she get? Abandonment for a weak little thing...

“All ‘ail the queen,” a strong cockney accent broke her out of her trance.

“What?!” she yelled in shock. For someone so connected to the forest, she wasn’t used to surprises. Then, she noticed it was one of the pixies. “What have you to tell me?” she asked uninterested.

“You need to take the spell offa them,” the pixie responded contemptuously. The Queen glared at her for being disruptive.

“And why should I do that, pray tell?”

“Well, we been ‘earing some things from the above and they said the spell must come off, if ya want somethin done about the girl anyway.”

Drusilla contemplated the information as the small, multicolored pixie laid down on one of her branches. She yawned loudly after a few minutes and the Queen glared. Unlike most of the forest creatures, the pixies remained immune to the powers of the Queen. Perhaps it was their connection to the powers above that protected the little troublemakers from a good throttling. Otherwise, she would have disintegrated their little community long ago.

Nonetheless, the pixies did seem to know the actions in her best interests.

“If you’re lying, I’ll find a way to extinguish you, you insignificant little pest.” The pixie giggled and squeaked as she disappeared in a poof of white smoke. With a frustrated sigh, she waved the spell away from the two lovers.

. . . . . . . .

William lost the scent again. Angrily, he pushed his tired legs forward and bumped, headfirst, into a tree. He ignored the pain and continued his search; it wouldn’t be long until sunset.

Just then the breeze blew his way, bringing her sweet scent along with it. He followed the direction it came from, eager to find the source.

He was near her when the sun finally set below the hills; he could feel it. William walked down a small hill only to find his Buffy, fast asleep upon the forest floor. Beneath the night sky, she took his breath away. Without realizing his actions, he walked closer and knelt down beside her. His hand trembled as he stroked her silky hair. His want for her came over him in waves, rippling through his body. Without warning, a possessive growl erupted from his chest. Buffy’s eyes shot open in terror.

She let out a piercing scream.


Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed it, please review :)