Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta by Sigma

thanks for the reviews...
Dawn knew she was dreaming. It had to be a dream. In real life, you couldn't do something and observe yourself at the same time. As she walked through red silken walls, she realized it wasn't silk at all. The red walls changed into blood, and some spilled across the floor. She gasped and stepped back in shock. Was it shock? she wondered. The walls were calling for her, whispering through the dark, dark red, "Dawnnn...Dawnnnn".

She shivered slightly, knowing deep down in her mind that it couldn't be real, walls don't whisper, or talk for that matter, but here, caught between fantasy and life, her heart was beat quickly.

The walls where calling for her again "Dawnn...Come here". She hesitated for a minute before knowing what she had to do. A wind , coming from nowhere to be seen, blew back her long, dark hair. She walked through the bloody walls, her mind knowing what she was to face.

The mind is a unique thing always working, always processing, always trying to save us from what we really don't want to know. But, she knew. She knew as she walked through those walls, cold and warm playing over her skin, making her tingle.

Then she saw it; among the flowing blood and changing walls, she saw the alter. It was marble and stone, delicately carved and huge, taking up most of the space in the...room? Is it a room? It was strange though, seeing the gray stone in the midst of the dark red.

Run! run! Leave this place! Her mind screamed as her legs led her to the alter.

She thought she was ready for anything, but the horrible images proved her wrong, showing no mercy. She knew what she would see and she saw it...the slender frame of a woman. Her body was bitten in several places and blood spilled from everywhere...face...legs...arms...it was almost unrecognized. But Dawn knew who it was. She'd seen her before, the slim body, the dark long hair. Suddenly it moved and grabbed Dawn by the arm, blue eyes insanely pleading with her.

"Dru." Mumbled Dawn, trying to shake off the hand's firm grasp.

"Please...help me...he's gonna kill me..."

"Who?"

"Him" the voice gasped. "We have to get out of here".

Dawn struggled against the incredibly strong grip, her mind screaming for help. Buffy? Spike? Anyone! She was all alone. Tears forming in her deep blue eyes as she struggled to save herself.

What to do, what to do?

"Please" it pleaded with her again, "help me Dawnnn…"

"What happened to you? Who did this to you?" Dawn blurted out.

The wrecked body looked at her and whispered a name,"Angelusss…"

"No!" she backed away from her, shaking uncontrollably. No, no. Not Angelus! She couldn't fight him and Buffy wasn't here to help. Suddenly, she stopped moving backward as she ran into someone. Turning she swallowed a scream as she looked into Angelus's taunting eyes.

"Run little girl, but you can't hide. Run, but I will catch you soon."

She closed her eyes, as he grabbed her, his cruel laughter echoing in her ears. He dragged her close to Drusilla, then cast her aside, leaning toward Dru. Drusilla tried desperately to get away from him, but he held her broken body close and viciously drank the blood like water to quench his thirst. Dawn watched horrified...yet facinated.

Dru turned her face to Dawn pleading again "Please Dawn, help me..." Her hair - long, dark, and straight - began to turn into short, golden strands and the pale, white skin was replaced with sun-goldened . The blue eyes, still filled with horror and tears, turned into hazel-green until Dawn stared at Buffy's face as the Slayer was caught in the vicious attack of the Scourge of Europe.

"Buffy!" Dawn screamed, running to help her as Angelus seemed to vanish. She had no time to think about him as she chanted a mantra in her head "Save Buffy, Save Dawn, Save Buffy, Save Dawn."

But, before she could help Buffy, she felt fangs entering her neck, tearing through skin as drops of blood dripped on her snow-white dress. No! her mind screamed, Save Buffy! Save Dawn! "Buffy..." she breathed "Buffy..."

It hurt so much, and her body surrendered to Angelus, realizing he was going to kill her. She only thought about sleep...peace...drifting into darkness...not worrying anymore...

Suddenly Buffy was there by her side, ready to push Angelus away from her. He was so occupied with her that he almost didn't noticed the tortured Slayer striking at him with all her might and strength. Dawn gasped in relief as his fangs were torn out of her. But, she'd hoped for too much. Angelus ducked Buffy's desperate blow and with one quick thrust sliced Buffy's throat. Her blood gushed out like falling red velvet. She stared at Dawn, her eyes trying to apologize for leaving her...again. And then she fell. Dead.

As Dawn screamed, the walls broke around her, but she just screamed louder,"Buffy! Noooooooooooo..."

"Dawnie! Dawnie!" someone was shaking her frantically, but she refused to open her eyes.

"No, let go of me! Let me die, please..." Tears streamed down her face.

"Dawnie, it's ok, you're safe!"

Dawn opened her eyes slowly, recognizing Buffy's familier voice. She was alive! Slowly, her eyes opened, still blurred from sleeping and crying. She looked at her sister's worried face and smiled faintly, "I guess...I was having a nightmare."

Buffy held Dawn close, holding back her own tears. She tried to lighten the atmosphere,"Hey, I thought I was the one who suppose to have nightmarish prophetic dreams." Looking at her young sister horrified expression, she changed the subject quickly, "Are you ok?"

Dawn shrugged slightly "I'm fine, really. I...it was a nightmare and I...I don't remember much. You should go to bed. Spike is waiting for you."

Buffy sighed,"Ok, I'll...what did you say?"

Dawn smiled knowingly "Gee, Buffy, I'm not a baby. I know about the two of you."

Buffy saw that her sister didn't appear to be angry with her, "And you don't mind?"

"As long as I won't have to hear you shagging each other."

Buffy rolled her eyes and hugged her tightly.

"Buffy, do you love him?"

The question didn't surprise her since she thought about it for so long. Did she?

"I...I don't know, Dawnie. I like him, most of the time, and maybe some day I will love him, but..."

That seemed to satisfy Dawn as she snuggled into her blankets and drifted off into a dreamless sleep, "Right..."

Smiling down at her, Buffy gently kissed her forehead,"G'night, Dawnie."

She closed the door behind her and crawled under the covers into Spike's waiting arms.

"Everything all right pet?"

"Yes, just a bad dream."

Angelus watched from outside her window, full of rage and disgust as his Slayer found her comfort in his Childe's arms.

"Never again will you sleep with my Buffy because things are going to change. She's going to scream my name, not yours." he snarled,"And I really don't care if it's in pain or pleasure."