When they came back to themselves they didn't even notice that they were now back in the right bodies.

They sat there stunned, ignoring the questions that were being fired at them from all directions.

They felt the loss of no longer being one entity keenly. All they could think about was what they had seen, what they had learnt, and what the other must have seen and learnt in return.


Their eyes met, drawn to each other almost against their will. A flash of something passed between them then, something which made Buffy’s heart race and Spike sure that his own heart could beat once more.


“BUFFY?! Are you all right?” Giles’ exclamation punctured the bubble of their own world and brought them firmly back to reality.


Spike jumped to his feet. “Right... well this has been right fun and all but I think I’ll be off”


Before Buffy could get to her own feet he had grabbed his jacket and was heading for the door.

“Thanks scoobs, see you around. Laters nibblet. Slayer.” He was avoiding looking at any of them, particularly Buffy. Night had fallen so he threw the front door open and strode out determinedly into it.
Buffy scrambled upwards on unsteady feet.


“Buffy for the love of god will you tell us what’s going on?” Giles sounded as confused as everybody else looked.


“Uh, the spell worked, thanks guys, good job everyone. I have to go now.”


Willow looked at Buffy with concern. “Go where Buffy? It’s like twelve o'clock at night. You’re probably feeling really drained from the spell, you should sleep.”

Buffy was walking around in a daze, finding her own jacket and putting on the shoes Spike had refused to wear when he was her because he said they made his feet hurt.

“I’ve uh got to go after Spike.”


“What?! Why? Did he do something to you? I’ll come with you”. Xander was already striding to the weapons chest.


“Spike didn’t do anything to me Xander, I just have to talk to him.”


Everyone asked why, almost in unison.


Buffy was pale and her eyes were wide with the shock of what she was feeling. She was surprised but she was sure.


“Because he’s the one.”




Buffy ran all the way to Spikes crypt. He was standing in the open doorway when she got there, a large drink in his hand.


He didn’t say anything but was looking at her with the weary expression of a small child whose not sure whether a dog will bite.


Buffy’s heart was pounding through her chest, and all she could think to say was “You were right, these shoes do hurt my feet.”


The corner of Spikes mouth twitched. “I am usually right pet”.


Buffy took her shoes off and chucked them away to be eaten by shadows.
“You are aren’t you?”


With that she flung herself at Spike. His glass tumbled to the ground. She chucked herself at him, mind body and soul, and he caught her, as she knew he would.
Her face was so close to his that she could have counted his eyelashes if she’d wanted to.


“Are you sure about this slayer?” Spikes voice was husky , filled with his desperate want of her. “Once I have you I’m bloody well never letting you go.”


Buffy stretched out her hand and softly, slowly, tantalisingly, traced the contours of his face. Her finger tips skimmed over the scar she now knew the origins of, the eyes that showed the human within, the nose which was slightly crooked from all the times she had punched it, and, at last, the full lips she was desperate to claim.
“That Spike is exactly what I’m hoping.”


He brushed his lips across the skin of her cheek and she whimpered.
Both moved as one until their lips met. It was all the joy of heaven with all the heat of hell. She clawed at him, franticly trying to remove his clothes without losing contact. After what they had shared close couldn’t be close enough. She wanted to be part of him again, one with him.

Her voice was a heady, breathless whisper, “I need you inside me”.


It was his turn to whimper.

Somehow he got them inside, and to his bed, though their clothes didn’t survive the journey.

They didn’t mess around. There would be plenty of time later, time to get to know each others bodies, to experiment and enjoy each other. At that moment they just had to have each other, in every conceivable way.


Buffy wrapped her bare legs around his slim waist and gripped his muscular forearms so tightly he groaned.


He plunged into her with one quick thrust.

Buffy felt a stab of pain, quickly replaced with the most exquisite pleasure she had ever known.

She felt whole. Complete. Finished.

He felt like he was home.

She looked at him.

He looked at her.

They saw each other.


It was fast and it was furious and it was fuelled by everything they had ever felt for each other.
Every time he plunged into her, every time she rose and clenched around him in return, the strength of the passion, the desire, the burning hatred which had turned into consuming love, overwhelmed them both.


When they cried out their releases together they were loud enough to wake even the truly dead.



They lay in each others arms for a long time after that. Each too spent to talk.


Eventually Spike sighed, and it was a sound of such sweet contentment that Buffy couldn’t resist the urge to kiss every inch of him she could find.

This led to a round of much more tender and time consuming love making.



Spike looked at her afterwards, his eyes too full to hold all of what he was feeling.


“I hope you’ve got vampire stamina pet, cos we are doing that again and again.”

Buffy smiled lazily and drew patterns on his chest. “For once you’ll get no argument from me.”


Spike started purring. Buffy had never heard him do it before and she quickly decided it was the best sound she had ever heard, and it would be her mission to make him do it as often as possible.


“Spike?”


“Yeah luv?”


“You know... you know you were thinking about, um, about getting a...”

“A soul?”

“Yeah, one of those. Well I want you to know that if you want one, for yourself, I’ll go with you wherever you need to go, help you do whatever you need to do. But you don’t need to get one for me. I think you might have yours still anyway... and even if you don’t you can share mine. It’s a slayers so it’s bound to be super big.”

Buffy had buried herself into his side during her little speech but he gently turned her towards him. The look on his face was one which would stay with her forever.
He kissed her until it felt as though their inner selves were twined again.


She said later, idly, “You know I love you right?”


Spike laughed, “Now I do.” He paused. “Buffy I love you too, and I will, for always.”

Buffy pressed herself even closer to him.
“Well that’s lucky, seeing as how that’s how long you’ll have me."


Spike got a mischievous look on his face. “You know we’re never leaving this bed don’t you?”


Buffy’s smile was broad. “I’m counting on it love”.