Author's Chapter Notes:
A/n: This chapter picks up right when C. G. leaves the police station, so there is very little passage of time. I just wanted to break up the medical explanation scene from what will occur next.

FYI: I actually like Xander, but for the purposes of this universe, I thought it would be fun to insert “evil Xander” from the ep. “The Wish” in season three of BTVS.

The usual disclaimers that I don’t own “evil Xander” or any publicly recognizable characters except for C. G. and Xander’s friends applies.

This chapter is slightly edited. Spike doesn't make an appearance until the next chapter.
Cordelia continued walking quickly through the parking lot at the University, feeling the hairs on her neck stand on end. She didn’t know why she felt as though someone was following her.

The young college student had checked several times and could see no one, so why did she think there were creatures after her?

**C’mon, Cordy,** she told herself mentally, **get a grip.**

A shadow flashed out of the corner of her eye. Cordelia cursed all the heavens that she didn’t think to borrow the family car instead of Buffy or her mother.

She decided just then that sprinting to her house might not be a bad idea and she started running. Footsteps could be heard going in her direction. The brunette was running even faster now, hoping that someone would be out on the street. She turned a corner…and ran right into Xander.

“Xander!” she shrieked. “What is your deal, sneaking up on people?”

Xander Harris looked at Cordelia, his eyes drawn to the little spot on her throat that was pulsing with her fear. He smiled, fixing her with a brown eyed stare.

“Sorry, Cordy,” he apologized. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Cordelia relaxed for a moment. She saw that, for someone who had been missing, Xander seemed to be okay. She banked down the sensation that something was very wrong with this picture and smiled, grateful for her ex boyfriend’s appearance.

“Can I walk you home?” Xander asked her.

Cordelia nodded, glad that anyone had shown up. She linked her arm through his , noting that he wore a jacket, which was a dark chocolate leather that she had never seen before. Her past beau also seemed more confident and less shy by the way he eyed her.

They walked out of the parking lot and into darker territory for a moment before Xander spoke again. “You really shouldn’t be wandering around late,” he cautioned.

Cordy looked at her watch, commenting, “It’s only seven thirty. It’s not late at all.”

“But still,” Xander advised, “you never know what might come up to bite you.”

“The Vampire Beast?” Cordelia asked derisively. “I’m not saying people haven’t seen something in this town, but don’t you think they’re imaging things? I mean, vampires just don’t exist.”

It was then that the brunette noticed three things: 1) Xander had stopped walking; 2) they were in an area of town that she didn’t recognize; and 3) and most important, her ex was now sporting a face with ridges, yellow eyes, and fangs.

“Beg to differ, Cor,” he told her.

Cordelia could see that there were two others with Xander all of a sudden. She recognized them as two more of the missing guys from the swim team.

Xander laughed as Cordelia shrieked. He reached out and grabbed her waist. The young woman shrieked again. “Aww, come on, Cordy!” he chided. “Is that any way to behave? Whatever happened to letting bygones be bygones?”

Cordy found her voice. “Y-you’re a vampire!” She shouted. Xander’s teammates laughed as they shifted into game face.

“I thought you said we didn’t exist,” Xander responded. He looked at his fellow classmen. “She said that, didn’t she, boys?”

“Yep,” one Caucasian boy said, his brown hair hanging just below his neck.

“Sure did,” the other boy, a raven haired Cherokee Indian said, smacking his lips at what he would taste.

Cordelia started to turn away before she realized that, just like the ocean, one should never turn their back on a vampire. Xander grabbed her arm again before she could pull away and forced her to look at his eyes. Harris used his penetrating stare, but the dark brown haired young woman still struggled.

“Aw, man, she’s not cooperating!” the brown haired boy complained.

“Yeah, you're right, Bob,” the Cherokee Indian whose straight hair hung to his waist, grumbled. “she’s supposed to be enthralled!”

Xander gave his ex an appraising look, jeering, “I don’t even know what I saw in you! You refuse to come quietly, so I’ll do this the hard way. Me and my pals here always wanted to hunt something since we’ve been like this, and you’re just the right prey.”

“Prey?” Cordelia echoed, slightly miffed. “I’m SO not prey!”

Xander looked at his watch, saying, “You’ve got five minutes; then, it’s open season on ex girlfriends.” Cordelia backed away, running in the opposite direction.

Harris looked at the other young men, asking, “Do you think we should give her the full five minutes?”

Before they could answer, Xander shook his head, saying, “Nah!” They gave chase as Cordelia went tearing through the city streets. As fate would have it, her current path took her right to where C. G. was walking toward his car. They bumped into each other.

Cordelia struggled, looking back at her enemies.

“Whoa! What’s going on, here?” the cop asked.

“Let me go!” she shouted at the top of her voice. “They’re after me!”

“Who’s after you?” C. G. queried. He then saw her pursuers, and their faces.

Hurriedly, he opened the car door to his 1989 Trans Am, shouting, “Get in!”

Cordelia needed no further urging. She got into the back seat of the car. He slid into the driver’s seat and prayed that the car would start. C. G. was rewarded with a roaring engine. They sped down the street just as Xander and his cronies caught up.

The Chrokee boy, (whose name was Blackfeather,) swore as they got into his car, a slightly more modern black Toyota Camry, and tore after them.

“Cool! I love this part!” the Caucasian boy exclaimed from the front passenger seat. His glowing yellow eyes shined with pure lust as he thought about biting Cordelia. “We should have become vamps sooner!” he yelled.

“Yeah! Remind me to thank Darla and Dru!” Xander responded from his rear seat.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Inside the Trans Am, C. G. scanned the city streets, looking for any sign of a place that could provide a safe haven. He drove for a couple of minutes until he made a right onto Cherub Drive, then he smiled as he recognized where they were heading. His passenger took to scanning the rear window to see if her hunters were gaining on them.

“I don’t see them!” she shouted. C. G. grimaced, keeping his hands in a vice like grip on the steering wheel.

“Yeah, well, just because you don’t doesn’t mean they aren’t here!” he returned. He neared their “safe house” just then.

Cordelia kept her eyes on the back window. Her face fell as she saw the black Toyota with its three occupants. “Oh, no!” she gasped. The brunette young woman faced the front.

“Can’t you make this trash heap go any faster?” she asked. C. G. took exception to that.

“How’d you like to be in THEIR car, Miss Critic?” he snapped. He steered left.

“Sorry,” Cordelia said in a tone that indicated she was anything but.

Her brown eyes widened as she saw what they were approaching. The building was as majestic as it was old, a symbol of belief and trust in the one thing that could give them a respite from their foes. She made a mental note to visit it on Sunday if they ever escaped unscathed.

C. G. didn’t slow down, but drove as though he were going to go straight through the stained glass windows of the edifice entitled, Church of Brompton, which was the next town over on the Eastern side of Sunnydale. Cordelia didn’t know which was worse: the crazy, albeit good looking, cop who had rescued her; or the insane vampires who wanted to make them their next entrees.

“What are you doing?” she shouted.

The Deputy Chief smirked and did just what she thought he was going to do. He drove through the windows, shattering the sacred glass into a million pieces.

In the other car, Xander and his pals skidded just short of driving inside the church. “Jeez!” the Caucasian pal wailed. “Now what? We can’t go in there!”

“Maybe we can,” Xander said. “Follow me.” He got out of the car. Blackfeather turned off the ignition and upon exiting his car with his friend, went after Cordelia’s former main squeeze.

Inside the chapel, Sister Abby Thomas ran downstairs as fast as her old lady’s legs could take her. “What on Earth?” she asked as she took in the devastation. Cordelia peeled out of the Trans Am, followed by C. G.

“Earth’s got very little to do with it,” the cop told the nun, holding up his badge. Sister Abby inspected it, then waited for him to tell her what was going on.

“If you could vacate the premises, Sister,” C. G. said, “that would be a big help. I’ll see that you get full compensation for the damages, and I’ll explain all this later.”

The nun’s eyes followed the evil looking young man in the brown leather jacket who’d just walked in. She decided that perhaps it was time to say her prayers in the nursery the nuns visited sometimes which was way off the premises. Xander had just gotten closer to where Cordelia and C. G. were when he felt the worst pain imaginable. His friends winced in pain as they felt themselves burning slightly.

“Xan!” Bob said. “We can’t do this!” Behind him, Blackfeather moaned.

“Idiot!” Xander rebuked. “It’s the belief in this stuff, not the building, and I know that my ex doesn’t believe!” Suddenly, he heard a loud bang and could feel a hole in his chest. Cordelia’s former boyfriend looked up to see C. G. smirking.

“But you forgot about ME, perp,” the Deputy Chief said, holding his gun aloft.

Xander collapsed on the floor, temporarily stunned. The other two, not wanting to face the determined cop without their leader, fled in the Indian boy’s car.

Cordelia captured C. G. in a bear hug, shouting, “My hero!” C. G. stared at the young vampire that had been Alexander Harris.

The dark brown haired college student peered at Xander and queried, “Is he…?”

“Not yet,” he answered Cordelia. “Bullets don’t kill them. They just slow them down! We’ve got to get out of here!”

The blondish brown haired Welsh cop went into his vehicle and called for his team to meet him at the station. He said to the girl, “I’ve got some rope in back. Get it, while I secure that one with handcuffs.”

While she grabbed his keys and opened the trunk, he whipped out his handcuffs from his pocket while Cordelia got the rope from the back of C. G.’s car. The cop went over to the altar, grabbing two clear hued bottles.

“Tie it as tight as you want,” he ordered. “Circulation is not a problem with them.”

Cordelia nodded, going over to the inert body of her ex boyfriend. She bound his body with the rope and together, they lifted Xander and deposited him in C. G.’s trunk.

“What are we gonna do with him?” Cordy asked.

“I have an idea,” the policeman responded. He started the ignition and the pair rode off.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Later, C. G. and Cordy walked back from Sunnydale Cemetary toward the former’s Trans Am. They had left a swearing Xander buried inside a coffin under soil moistened with the contents inside the bottles the Deputy Chief had grabbed.

“You know he’s just gonna free himself,” the young woman said matter-of-factly.

“I don’t doubt it,” C. G. returned, grinning. As he let Cordy into the passenger’s side and he slid into the driver’s seat, he added, “but if he does try to escape, he’ll receive one of the worst nighttime sunburns in history!”

Cordelia stared at the policeman and mentally reiterated her thoughts. **Yep!** She told herself. **He’s crazy, all right!**

“Where do you live?” the Deputy Chief asked. When she provided the address, C. G. muttered, “Oh, you live just around the corner from me.”

When they stopped at a red light, Cordy took that time to study her perfectly manicured nails, thinking, **at least they’re okay.** C. G. studied her for a brief moment before driving on again.

**Thank God I get to let Little Miss Vain and Pretentious off soon!** He thought. Aloud, he asked, “So what’s your name?” His mind conjectured, probably something fluffy, like Ariel, or something.

When she responded, “Cordelia,” the cop couldn’t think of a comeback for that. He decided that her name wasn’t too bad. The young college student reached for her compact out of her purse and started primping. Lia, he decided, suited her: a pretty name for a beautiful, probably spoiled, girl.

He shook his thought away as he heard her ask him, “So, what’s yours?”

“C. G.,” he answered. Cordelia put away her compact, her pretty lips pouting.

“Is that it?” she wondered aloud. The Deputy Chief snuck a look at her before turning his attention to the road.

“That’s all you’re gonna get,” he said.

As he pulled up in front of her house and drove off after checking to see that she reached her door okay, Cordelia walked inside but stared out at the Trans AM pulling away.

“Obnoxious dolt,” she said as she slammed the door.

Inside the house, Buffy was waiting for her. She took in Cordelia's appearance and wondered what happened. Cordelia looked around for their mother.

"Where's Mom?" She asked Buffy. Her younger sister's hand jerked toward the stairs.

"Lying down upstairs," Buffy reported. "What happened to you?"

Cordelia didn't know how to tell Buffy about Xander. Sensing something was wrong, the younger Summers grabbed her sister's arm.

"Hey!" Cordelia shouted. "You don't have to pull my arm out of it's socket!"

"Sorry..." Buffy apologized. "Tell me: did something happen?"

Never a good liar, Cordelia said, "Xander's back with friends, and they're of the undead variety!"

Buffy gasped for a moment, then she took on a determined expression. "Do you think he's the beast?" She asked suddenly.

Cordelia shook her head, remembering Xander as he used to be: a boy who'd idolized her once upon a time.

"I don't know," she finally said. Buffy hugged her sister, whispering comforting words to her. The nineteen year old swore that if Xander was the beast, or was somehow connected to him, she would get Spike's training and advice and somehow make things right.