Author's Chapter Notes:
Woohoo, I've started writing again. I am determined to finish this story.

As I started writing again, I realized I was writing quite a lot of backstory. Bear with me, I'll get us there eventually.
The night had stayed hot causing her to toss and turn in her bed. As soon as she found that glorious cool spot on her sheets, it seemed to move to the other side of the bed. Sighing in frustration, she hazily got out of bed. The sheets gently moved against a closed, dark window as she walked silently to the door. Making her way downstairs, the cool carpeted stairs seemed softer than ever. Three steps, two steps, one step away. Suddenly, the floor gave way allowing her foot to sink through it, stopping at the ankle. She’d forgotten about that, she needed to be more gentle. Lifting her foot up, she softly put it back down on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. The sun streamed through the front windows, heating the sandy floor. She needed to get to the front door. She looked over into the living room, nodding in acknowledgement of the others milling around. They nodded back and she could feel the encouragement that came with it. She would do it. With a few cautious steps she made it to the door. Taking a deep breath, she gripped the doorknob firmly and turned it until…

Ring! Ring!

Buffy startled awake from her strange dream. It took her a second to understand what was making such an annoyingly loud sound. She needed it to stop, now. Rolling over to the bedside table, she finally remembered it was the sound of her new cell phone ringing. An international cell phone had been just one of the many great pieces of advice she had received from Willow. Unfortunately, no one had called her on it yet, so she still didn’t recognize the ringtone.

Buffy reached over to the phone as she cleared her throat. She answered it as it started to ring again. “Hello,” she said hoarsely.

“Buffy? Were you still asleep? You should have been up two hours ago.” Willow asked worriedly. As hoped for by both, Buffy and Willow had become very close friends in the last two weeks. Any time Buffy needed help, Willow was there, no questions asked.

“Shit!” Buffy looked over at the clock sitting on the table. “My alarm didn’t go off. I know I set it last night.”

“See, it’s a good thing we packed all of your stuff last night. I’m on way over right now.”

“Great, I’ll take a quick shower and get dressed. Could you stop and pick me up a coffee?”

“You know it. And by the time I get there, you should be ready. We’ll load up that car and make our way to the airport. Wait, did you strip your bed sheet yet? That’s okay, I can help you with that when I get there,” Willow fired.

Buffy was able to find a company that would handle the renting of her house. After meeting a few prospective renters, she had found the perfect family who was willing to rent her house fully furnished. The transition to her new life was going easier than expected. She just hoped it kept going this well.

“Willow, breathe. Look, I know I slept a little late but we’re still good on time,” she said reassuringly.

“I know, it’s just…you know me, just a little excitable. I’ll let you shower, I’ll be there in fifteen with coffee goodness, ‘kay. Bye” she said ending the call abruptly.

Buffy just smiled and shook her head as she sat her phone on the dresser, grabbing her towel.


Buffy and Willow sat in the small, coach seats thirty minutes into their eleven hour flight to London. Buffy wriggled in her seat trying to get comfortable and settle her nerves.
“Buffy, it’ll be okay. I’ve made this flight many times and I’ve only had one near crash.”

“WHAT!?!”

Willow giggled evilly. “I’m kidding. Look, there’s nothing to worry about. I know that you’re feeling nervous about more than just a plane ride, but when we get to London and you meet Giles, I think you’ll understand that everything that’s happened has been for the better.”

“I know that, I just want everything to go as smoothly as possible. You’ve helped me so much. I just don’t think I can thank you enough.” Buffy grasped Willow in a hold that was as close to a hug as she could get.

“You don’t need to thank me. Helping you has helped me stay occupied these last weeks. And from here on, Giles has taken control of everything, so we only have to follow his lead.”

“That’s another thing that has me worried. I still have to think of this as a new job. I don’t want Giles to be disappointed in me.”

“Honey, I’ve told you. You have nothing to be scared of. Giles comes across as very rigid over the phone. In person, he’s completely laid back. It’ll be different from what you’re used to but I think that’s what you need.”

“I hope you’re right.”


When the plane finally landed at Heathrow, Willow practically ran off of the plane with a timid Buffy struggling to keep up.

“Willow, hold up. Where’s the fire?” Buffy asked, grabbing the other girls arm in order to slow her down.

“Sorry, I’m just really excited to be back in London.” Willow stopped a few steps away from the arrival gate, looking around at the people milling about. “Giles is supposed to be picking us up at the gate. Do you see him?”

“Maybe. But I don’t know what he looks like.”

“Oh, yeah, stupid question.” Willow giggled. She continued to look around. She finally spotted him, standing at the back of the crowd, casually looking at each person. “Okay, so remember, don’t be nervous. Giles is a great man and a pretty cool guy.” And with that piece of advice, Willow started making her way towards him.

“Giles!!!” Willow yelled while waving her arms like a wild woman.

Giles met the girls halfway, pulling Willow into a tight hug. “Willow, my dear, so good to see you.” He pulled away from her slightly, looking her over. “I must say, the California air must have been just what the doctor ordered.”

“More like a week’s long sleep.” Willow smiled.

Giles gave a small chuckle and turned to the other woman. “You must be Buffy. It very nice to finally meet you in person,” he said shaking her hand.

“Oh yes, I agree,” she replied, mimicking his formal tone.

“Well ladies, let’s go get your luggage,” leading them from the gate.

Buffy looked at Giles from behind. He was nothing like she imagined, even with Willow insistence that he was laid back. After speaking to him over the phone, in her mind she could see him wearing a tweed suit, glasses, smoking a pipe and carrying a briefcase everywhere. The man that greeted them at the gate was the complete opposite. He wore a pair of faded jeans, a blue t-shirt under a suit jacket. What really set him apart from her imaged Giles was the earring he wore that gave her a little insight into his past. ‘At least I was right about the glasses,’ she thought.

As they stood there waiting for their luggage to appear, a thought occurred to Buffy. “I was so wrapped up in getting everything sorted at home that I didn’t make any plans past getting on the plane here.”

“Ah, yes, I assumed that would be the case. Willow kept me up to date on everything. I know that this is a stressful transition for you. I felt that it would be best if I took over the plans from here.”

“Thank goodness. I was about to have a panic attack at the thought of finding a hotel last minute. Oh, there’s my bag,” she said. Together, Giles and Buffy hoisted the heavy bag off of the carousel. “I’m…I’m not usually this disorganized,” Buffy proclaimed, hoping Giles wasn’t already spotting flaws in her work ethics.

“Buffy, please understand that I am in no way judging you. I want all of my team to feel comfortable with me, both within and outside of the work environment. I wanted you to stay a few days in London so that you could get to know me before being thrown into another unknown country. Now, shall we leave this dreadful airport. I do hate being surrounded by befuddled tourists,” he said with a smile.


Chapter End Notes:
As always, please review. Love it...Hate it...Let me know. Thanks. :)