The ride from the airport had been filled with pleasant conversation. The flight had taken its toll on Buffy and all she wanted was to get to her hotel and take a long nap. Finally, the car stopped in front of a tall white building.

“Wills, what hotel are we staying at?” Buffy asked, looking at the building curiously.

“Oh Buffy, we’re not staying in a hotel. We’re staying with Giles. We always do. See he owns this building. He turned it into one large apartment so that we can stay here when in town. Believe me, it sounds more dubious than it is.”

Making their way inside, Buffy found that Willow was, once again, correct. The narrow building had five floors and had obviously been renovated to suit Giles’ needs. On the ground floor was a sitting room, an office, a dining room and the kitchen. Each of the other floors had two bedrooms and a shared bathroom.

“I’ve set up the first floor bedrooms for you ladies. Feel free to go up and rest. I will be in the office if you need anything,” he said after showing them around the place and helping with the bags.

“I think I’m going to take a quick nap before dinner.” Willow said as they walked up the stairs. “I’ll see if I can convince Giles to come with us to the pub tonight. You can’t come to London and not go to pub right.”

“I guess. I’ve never been out of the country, so I’m just following everyone else’s lead. I’m going to follow you and try to take a nap. See you in a bit,” Buffy said as she entered her room.

The room she was in wasn’t very big but large enough to house a bed, a wardrobe and a dresser comfortably. It was decorated in soft green and grey, neutral colors that allowed anyone to feel at home. Buffy sat on the bed and looked out the window. It didn’t have much a view but let in enough light to warm the room. She sighed as she realized she wouldn’t be able to take nap. She made her way back down the stairs, hoping to find something to occupy her time. Walking into the sitting room, she noticed some photos on top of the fireplace. The people in the pictures were smiling and hugging. All of the people in them were obviously close, but none of them looked related.

“Ah, I thought I heard someone coming down the stairs.” Giles said from behind her.

“Yeah, well, I thought I was going to take a nap, but I’m just not that tired,” she gave a small shrug. She continued to look at the photos. “If you don’t mind me asking, who are all of these people?”

Giles walked closer to Buffy. “That would be your new co-workers. Hopefully we can convince you to take a picture and add it to our display.”

“Of course I will. It’s still so hard to believe that everyone on your team is so close. That’s unheard of in Walsh’s ‘unit’,” she said shaking her head. She gave a sudden giggle. “Once, I told a joke to one of the people working with me and we started laughing uncontrollably. Walsh saw us and just glared at us. It was like being doused in ice water. The next day he was transferred to another project.”

“Well that seems awfully extreme. And I can guarantee you that nothing like that will happen within this project. I have chosen this team carefully. We work together so well, partially because we have to. We work in what some would call extreme conditions. We have to rely on each other for quite a lot but it’s what makes us form such a close knit group.” Giles put his hand on Buffy’s shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. “Now, I’ve got to do some work…”

“I’m sorry, Giles. I didn’t mean to interrupt you.”

“Actually, I was going to ask if you would like to sit in with me. I was about to have a short video conference with Fred, who’s still at the camp.”

“That would be great. Willow told me I would be working with her the most, at least initially.”

“Willow was correct. Come now, let’s get you introduced to another member of the family,” Giles said, leading her down the hall and into the office. The room was more of a library, with books lining the walls and two desks with computers on either side of the large window that dominated the back wall. Two smaller writing desks sat in the middle of the room. The small lamps on these desks allowed for someone to prepare notes or read a book without lighting the entire room. It was the largest room of the house and obviously the most important. In front of one of the computers, Giles pulled out a chair for Buffy before pulling up another for himself. He had already set up the connection causing the two of them to appear in a small box in the bottom corner. Suddenly the screen gave off some loud static, followed by the image of a young brunette woman.

“Giles? Can you hear me? How’s the connection?” the woman asked without panic.

“Yes, I can hear you and the connection is good on this end. Fred, dear, I would like to introduce you to our newest colleague, Buffy Summers.”

“Hi, Buffy. It’s nice to meet you.” Fred gave a small wave to the camera. “I can’t wait to have you here working with us. Giles told me about your background, the projects you were part of while under Walsh. I think that you’ll really understand and appreciate the work that we are doing,” she said in a small, but confident voice.

“Willow and I have been doing our best to reassure her. I think she’s coming around,” Giles said as he winked at Buffy.

“I am. You’ve all been so helpful and positive. I’m really looking forward to working with you all.”

“Wonderful to hear. Now, how are things in the camp?”

“Well, they were going good until Xander and Anya had a big blow up.”

“I think we all know perfectly well that this is not the first or last fight that those two have. What was the problem this time?” Giles managed a tone that both exasperated and amused.

“A sandwich. I mean, I know how they can be but really, a sandwich!!” Fred just shook her head.

“Um, do you mind me asking, why are they constantly fighting? I thought that you all got along,” Buffy interrupted. The way that Willow and Giles spoke of the group, she thought that they were all inseparable. Listening to Fred, she was getting a different feeling. Now that she thought about it, neither had mentioned anything more specific, they always spoke of the group in general.

“Oh, we do get along. But like most families, we do have arguments. Xander and Anya argue more than average…”

“Lover’s quarrels, if you will,” Giles interjected.

“Yeah, exactly. This is nothing compared to when they decided to have their ceremony.”

“Fred could you go get Xander, I would like to speak to him.” Giles turned to look at Buffy. “I’m sorry, I’ve just realized that we haven’t given you any insight into the other members of the team. Anya and Xander are partners.”

“Willow mentioned an Alexander before…” Buffy remembered from her first meeting with Willow.

“One and the same. And quite the odd couple, those two. Xander is our resident maintenance man. Anya handles all expenses and any provisions we may need. Anya was part of another project I was running while here in London. When I was given this project, Anya jumped at the chance to ‘handle the money’. Our small group took up residence on the island. The company hired Xander after many complaints from me when things just kept breaking. The whole group has been on a never ending rollercoaster since those two met.”

Fred appeared back on the screen. “He’s coming.”

Soon, a man appeared on the screen wearing a bright Hawaiian shirt. “Hey, G-man, what can do for ya? Fred told me she met the new girl. I guess you must be her. Hi, there. I’m Xander.” Buffy gave a giggle and wave to the camera.

“Xander, I wanted to see how we were doing on getting Buffy’s tent set up.”

“Great, it didn’t take me long to get the tent itself set up. I’m still finishing up the electrical and lighting. It’ll all be done by tomorrow, I think.”

“Thank you, Xander. I think I will cut this call short. I just wanted to check in. Remind the other’s that we will be arriving in three days. Tell the other’s to take care for me.”

“And could you tell them that the new girl says ‘Hi’,” Buffy said.

“No problem, it was nice meeting you, Buff.” Xander glanced away from the camera, looking at something off screen. “Fred says she can’t wait to start working with you. I’ll see you guys in a few days. Xanman, signing off.” The screen went fuzzy before Giles reached over to switch off the monitor.

“Well, he’s awfully laid back.”

“We all try to be. Our work is very serious but we try to not let our personal relationships mirror that. Now, I was going to fix myself a cuppa. Would like one as well?” Giles led her out of the office.

“Sure, why not.” Buffy paused for a second. “Giles, what did you mean, Buffy’s tent?”


Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? Reviews??