Buffy stood to full height; her lace tank top was so caked with earth that Spike couldn't determine its original color. Her brown, leather pants shone dully. Despite the situation, Spike wondered what her ass looked like in those pants. She was just as filthy as Spike was at that point, except instead of crawling up from the ground, she’d burrowed down. Buffy—it was strange not to think of her as Toy—was holding a short, wooden stake in her hand. She moved toward them with fleet, silent steps, leaping over the rubble she’d created.

Lacy looked at Spike.

*”Now. Do it now,” she said.

Spike reached behind him and squeezed Tara’s hand.

“Tara, don’t look at me,” he said.

He heard Tara nod—that was an incredible development since becoming a vampire, his senses were so sharp he could listen to her nod—and then he went to Lacy. At the first step, everything around him seemed to billow and shimmer, like he was entering a soap bubble. Sound dampened, too. Lacy smiled as Spike took her into his arms. He felt the thirst for her blood overwhelm him; the structure of his face changed and the fangs ripped through. He bit into her long, cold throat; her muscles tearing with a satisfying snap. She gasped and let out a moan that could have come from pleasure or pain. Part of him enjoyed it, not caring which. Though her blood was icy, it warmed Spike as he sucked and swallowed. Intellectually it was disgusting, but it didn’t feel that way as it was happening. He felt at peace for the first time since his death.

He kept taking pulls until she started to sag against him, her brown eyes losing their deadly sparkle like a fish taking its final gasps on the shore. Lacy looked thinner, too, as though she’d wasted away. Lacy touched his stomach.

*”Do it, you’re strong enough, take my heart—“

*”You’re sure?”

*”I’m sure. Forever is a long time to be alone, Spike,”
Lacy thought.

He took one last mouthful from her and then unlatched his deadly teeth. Her lashes fluttered as she looked at him a last time, and then Spike plunged his hand through her ribcage with a crack. He grabbed her still heart and yanked. Lacy hadn’t time to scream, he did it so fast he doubted she felt anything before she was melting into a cascade of ash. The instant her remains landed, time seemed to speed up again.

Tara was standing just where he’d left her, a soft, green glow surrounding her, her lips moving in a silent spell. Spike was grateful her eyes were closed. Angel was still playing host beside him, he didn’t even notice that his second in command was scattered all over the earthen floor. Toy or rather Buffy, was still coming towards them, her stake clutched close to her body.

Lacy must’ve slowed them or stopped them, Spike thought. He didn’t waste another second wondering what was happening or why. Spike kicked Angel’s legs out from under him, sending the larger vampire crashing down.

“Lacy, what the fuck?” Angel shouted.

Then Angel saw Spike, saw the detritus of his Wiccan shield blowing in the wind. Suddenly the slayer descended on Angel’s prone body, landing punches on his square jaw. Spike thought she looked magnificent in the midst of destruction; more enticing than she’d ever been. After she landed the first punch, Angel's blood was flying up in viscous ropes. His bones were breaking but Angel’s hair still did not move.

Angel head butted Buffy and then flipped her over, settling on top of her with a triumphant look on his face. Spike tried to enter the fray, but he was immobile. He looked down at his blood-stained hands and saw that the same green glow enveloping Tara was surrounding him.
Spike was frozen and panicked when his attention was captured by motion in front of him. Angel was sailing across the room, his coat fluttering like a cape and Buffy had pushed herself onto her feet. Angel hit a wall and dripped down it like egg yolk. He managed to get upright before Buffy could reach him. Angel started taunting her as he regained his strength, and the two circled one another, leaving a ring of footprints in the dirt.

“Must've been so degrading for you, not being able to tell the guy whose dick you're sucking anything about yourself. Then to tell him you love him, how pathetic is that?” Angel asked.

“I think you've got the market cornered on pathetic. What did we kiss, like twice?” Buffy asked.

“That's true, I got more play off your little sister,” Angel said.

Buffy stopped moving. Suddenly, she was twirling like a leaf from a tree and landing a kick to Angel's head. He staggered back, but stayed on his feet. She landed like a gymnast, all straight-backed innate grace. Every part of Spike longed for her; she called out to his body, his soul and his monster.

Buffy backhanded the large vampire, laying him out. She pounced on top of him, her hair gliding all around her stony face. Buffy held the stake with two hands above Angel. His expression was more bemused than fearful.

“Goodbye, Angel,” Buffy said.

Buffy lowered the weapon and the stake sunk home before Angel could even speak. Her face was inscrutable. For a second she was straddling the vampire and then she was falling as Angel’s body disintegrated. Buffy looked up, panting, her stake still poised and she saw Spike for the first time. He realized he was wearing his fangs and there was blood drying on his mouth. He slipped into his human visage.

The expression in her eyes nearly killed him. It looked like all of her hopes had died. She let out a wail and rolled into a fetal position in the dust. She was no longer a warrior; she wasn’t anything. Spike was able to move. He tried to go to Buffy, but Tara grabbed his shoulder. He looked up at his sister in surprise. For a second he’d forgotten she was there.

“No, Billy,” Tara said.

Tara went to Buffy’s side and pulled the shattered woman close like she had with Spike. Tara ran her hand across Buffy’s back as though she were trying to calm a sick child.

“It’s going to be alright, Buffy. Don’t worry, it’s going to be alright,” Tara said.


Chapter End Notes:
My first fight scene, really. How'd it go? Did it make sense? Are we feeling a sense of anti-climax? Please let me know, and don't be gentle.