Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay not yet the explanation promised, it's just that this part just got rewritten and got longer than I thought it would.
Buffy woke up before sunrise, having an appointment for a video conference with Willow.
She just hung the duster in her closet, thinking that she'd have to return it soon, but not now, in two or three more nights maybe, or maybe a little more, he wouldn't miss it, would he ?
She was pathetic, or maybe a fetishist, or a pathetic fetishist altogether ?
Stealing, no, not really stealing, keeping his things around, first his lighter, now his coat.
But it somehow helped to lighten her yearning for him. Or maybe it aggravated it, she didn't know.
Didn't care as the only time she was feeling a little bit better was when she was surrounded by his smell, how gross was that ?

The red head appeared on the screen, she had had to be back to business, Will had helped her to look for the one, the one they still needed.
The nerdy side of her friend had done miracles once again, finding much information about the boy in only half a day.
The girls chatted until it was time for her to go out, but not for the hunt, not to fight, just for him.
She went where she knew he'd be, casting away her own troubles : he needed her focused.
When she saw him, she recognised him right away even though she had only seen a very bad picture of him.
It was HIM, undoubtedly, instinctively, she could tell that it was him.
He was special, she could tell that as well, but he was also kind hearted, she thought as she saw him defending a girl form a bully, easily driving the tall toned boy away without harming him. He sure had self control.

He reminded her of herself, her old self, just before the call, so oblivious, so happy, maybe he was a little more mature than she her old self, but still ignorant of the world, of his own destiny.
And how ironical was that, that she, the Chosen one would have to explain all these to him, to convince him to trust her words, trust her, to help her, help THEM. She was offering a bad deal, she knew it, but she wanted to choose to be part of it.
He HAD to be part of this, she had to make him realise that.
She had been on that end of the conversation and knew how hard it would be to make him believe in what she said.
She knew she'd change his life forever, make him lose that little bit of innocence he not easily acquired, that others had sacrificed for.
But she had to, had to fix the deed, had to undo things.
Because it was the mission, her mission, their mission, to save the world.

*************************************************************

After a good day sleep, Spike was feeling better now, he never slept that much or that well, he dreamt.
He thought it would hurt more as last time she beat him up like that he kept the poached eye and bruises for more than a week ; which was really long when you knew how quickly vampires healed. She'd been easy on him, her heart wasn't really into it he shrugged.

It's been a long time they didn't get into a real fight, he wondered when was the last time exactly...
Yeah, it was just before she knew about the soul. Afterwards, she never hit him that hard again.
They did spar, also demonstrated to the potentials, but no serious fights as they had no reason to.
He would have never dared to, never wanted to.
The last weeks he spent with her were all about gentleness, softness and warmth, it had been delicate and soothing, well, except for the apocalypse.

Eventually, the sun had set and he finally could go out for some cigarette and blood.
Even though it was killing him him, he didn't go to her place on the way.
Whatever he had to say to her could wait, he knew that if he went by that place right then, suspicions would arise.
So he decided he'd go straight home with his bagged pig blood and stay there.
Maybe he'd do some laundry and cleaning, or maybe just let her scent linger for a while longer while he watched TV, he hadn't decided yet.
Hadn' decided what he'd do with the rags that were her clothes either. One step at a time, he thought.

As he was getting out of the butcher's, he felt a tingle on the back of his neck, someone was following him, had been following him for sometime now, he realised.
He continued to walk as if he didn't know, deriving from his route, he went to a more deserted area of the city, taking one last turn, he put the bag down in the dark alley in a rather safe place to not spoil the blood as he set his trap.
Good thing there was only one of them as he felt nor heard no more creatures within ten yards.
And as the form that followed him appeared, he stealthily jumped behind her. Grabbing her shoulder, he startled the dark-haired woman.
Quickly reacting, she swung a fist at him, but he blocked it easily as he was prepared for retaliation.


Chapter End Notes:
I just like cliffhangers.