Gunn had been stunned by the way the blonde vixen had stormed out from the office yelling her lungs out that she'd never come back, that she'd never helped them like she promised.
Looking at this battered vampire he came to befriend, he wondered about those two unresolved business..
They were so obviously wrong for each other, or maybe not ?

He couldn't tell, was never good at reading people.
He thought back about the proposition she made the night before, was it still available ?

If it was would he accept it ?
She had been right when she said it was a hard choice and if they decided to betray W&H, there was no coming back, the firm would get the big guns out to punish and eventually kill.
Having been fighting them for a long time and working for them for a few months, he knew what kind of power they had, and the punishment wouldn't be pretty, maybe dying would be a relief compared to all the other things the Senior partners would do to them.
Did they have any chance to even win ? He wondered.
He knew he'd lose many things, first his lawyer skill, that sounded petty but they made him feel powerful and useful. He, the highschool drop out became someone, expert at something.
Then he might lose his friends, and Fred.

He had to get out, get out for air, away from the firm.
He went to the only place that made him feel useful, the Center.
At least he knew that what he did there was good, unstained.

The girl, no the woman who ran the place was a hell of a woman, strongwilled, brilliant and so beautiful.
But the most important was that she had such a big heart and was only thinking helping others, teenagers like he used to be.
She was one of the most pure hearted people he ever met, which happened 6 years ago as she started to let teens sleep in her flat as she was waitressing.
She explained to him that she knew what being through a hard patch was like and someone had helped her a few times so she wanted to do the same for others, making a difference.
Then he got news a year later that she was opening a center to help teen, he had been one of those and then helped her when she needed him.

Now he needed her, he needed to ask her what way to chose, but he knew he couldn't, he couldn't drag her into it, so he just went there to be around her and see if he could help out.
She frowned as she saw him, not looking very pleased, she asked,


"Do I know you ?"


Gunn couldn't help but cringe,


"Anne, I know I haven't been around lately but I came to help."


"Well if by lately you mean almost a year, then yeah, you haven't been around lately" she answered tartly while she kept on unloading the truck.


"Here take those boxes in" she ordered him.

Gunn sighed in relief.


After they took everything in, she poured lemonade for the both of them in her office and asked : "What do you need me for Gunn ?"


She was so sharp.


"Nothing, really, just came to see if you needed any help."


"Well since I know who you and Angel work for right now, I don't think I can afford that anymore."


She had seen the changes in her friend, the signature clothes, the car he had parked not far from there, the lack of visits, and the awful look on his face.


"What do you want ? Not helping I think, since your clothes alone could feed us for a week." still angry that he never came back after his strange ascension in the social ladder.


"I... I'm sorry. I don't know how it happened. No, I know what happened, I'm so ashamed. I can't even look in the mirror someday, But I'm scared that there's no turning back. I don't know if I'm strong enough to turn back."


She had never seen him that distressed, she cooled down :

"Why don't you tell me what's happening ? What had happened ? One day you say they are the root of evil and then the next you get all lawyery and work for them. It's kinda confusing. "


"I can't, that's too dangerous, can't endanger you."


"I see. Then let me tell you something, it's never too late to go back, you have to believe in yourself, in what you think is right and just do it, one step after another, to protect what you believe in." she held his hand in hers.


"You want to go back, you just needed support and help, I can't help much but I'll support your decision as a friend."


He hugged her and when he let go he whispered in her ear " Thank you." Gunn had made an important decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wesley and Fred were in a restaurant, dining like any other couples chatting together, smiling at each other like any couple in love.
They didn't talk about their friends, about W&H, about that amazing offer they received, the choice they had to make.
Wesley had already made his choice, he knew he had to pull Fred out of that place she seemed to have so easily settled in, he just didn't know if she'd agree.
He didn't care about himself, about his life or even his soul. But Fred, his Fred, was so gentle and kind, the most brilliant mind he's ever known, the most beautiful woman and the purest one.
He wouldn't let her in the hands of those like W&H, not when they just started.
But he knew he couldn't tell her that, not directly anyway.

He knew Buffy, she had been a slayer for 8 years now, and if she went to such lenght to offer her help, that meant they needed it, they had made a choice that day, the wrong one obviously, and it was time to change things, to fix it, hoping it wasn't too late.
And if it was going to work, the only way was to surprise the Senior Partners. To trick them and work in the shadows for once.

But he needed Fred to be with him in that. As he drove her home, he looked into her eyes and kissed her, he kissed her tenderly, savouring her, caressing her hair gently.

"Do you want us to do this together ?" he just asked, hoping she'd understand his real question.

"Oh, Wes, you don't know how glad I am !" she hugged him hard.

Fred had been thinking hard about what the slayer had said.
Buffy was such a charming woman, so persuasive and beautiful, she understood how both Angel and Spike, both champions had fallen for her.
She didn't really get how Spike and Buffy had ended up fighting, but she could see that Buffy would still be there to help them, because she was a champion as well, a champion for the Good.

Fred had been wanting to leave the firm for sometime now, what they had her researsh on had been unbelievable, making her so uncomfortable.
But she never dared to tell her friends, she was too scared, too scared of what might happen to her, to them, to Wes.
The less they knew, the better she thought.
She knew they wouldn't be able to get out by themselves, not in one piece anyway, but with the help of hundreds of slayer, with powerful magic and knowledge, they might stand a chance and she was willing to take it if her family was in there with her.