Author's Chapter Notes:
Yeah, really long time between the last chapie and this one.. So many things happened... sigh.. anyway, hope you'll like this chapter.
Twenty minutes after they came out of Caritas, Buffy was sure they were headed for trouble, of course she made sure to bring the boy in on a night that Lorne wouldn't be there, but someone else had been there and had been following her, nasty someone, or even nasty someones, she couldn't be sure, but she was sure it was trouble.

Looking at him, she felt proud, after the first days full of distrust and wariness, he warmed up to her and unexpectantly, she warmed up to him more quickly than she thought she would. The boy was good, as good as any of the girls she trained now, he'd get better, but she had to be careful, she wanted to keep his trust, that unwavering trust he had in his eyes she could see from time to time. And she had to keep him safe, or at leas alive, she wouldn't be able to live with herself if he got hurt after she purposedly seeked him out, luring him away from the safe heaven his father had made for him.

"Get behind me" she hissed.

"What ?!" he protested.

The boy wasn't pleased, he knew she was stronger than him, she demonstrated it the day they met, showed him she was like him, but he wasn't one to hide behind a girl, okay, maybe a woman, however strong she was.

"No waaaaay.... " he dragged the last word and his hand on the dagger she gave him
Buffy rolled her eyes and taking out her sword, she nodded to him, ordering him to exchange his weapon against her, hell, if she was letting him fight, the least she could do was to give him the best weapon possible.

And just as they were putting on their fighting stances, three purple demons about 7 feet appeared, running towards them swinging their machettes, they were good, really good fighters, Buffy thought, apparently their heaviness didn't stop them from being very swift.
It had been a long time she hadn't fought such worthy opponents but she had no time to play as she wasn't sure how well he was gonna fare.
For the first time since long, she unwielded her power and quickly jumped up to stab the one who had been trying to behead her in the eye, he yelped, letting go of his weapon to grab her hard, wanting to pull her away, but she gave her wrist a twist and the demon collapsed and she quickly retrieved her dagger and got up to yank the one who had been attacking her protege to the concrete.

Straddling him, she quickly slit the stunned demon's throat, looking dispassionatly at the green goo and the life leaving her attcker.
Buffy got up and looked at him, he was having a hard time with the last one, but when he didn't have the ennemy's strenght and agility, she compensated with his passion and swiftness, the boy was good, but the other one was more experienced and after receiving a hard kick on his kidney, he called for help.
Finally jumping in, Buffy gave a swirling jumping kick on the demon's temple and jumping on his back, broke his neck with her bare hands.
Getting up, she looked at the angry boy, "What ?"

"You watched, just watched and let him beat me up !!"

"Didn't I just kill him ?" Buffy tilted her head.

"You know what I mean."

"I guess I wanted to teach a lesson" she sighed, "You're too confident and careless, slaying is a dangerous business and you're not the strongest."

"You wanted to prove you're the strongest ?"

"Hardly ! " she chuckled, "Those we just killed were better fighters than you but they were really just small fry. Now ease up, there's one more that we need to take care of."

"Isn't it two ? I think I can take them." he asked, eyeing the 6 feet demon who looked quite harmless and the man behind him.

"What did I just say ? Jeez, kids these days ! The demon is likely the other three's boss and, my friend there just subdued him so you do the math, wonderboy."

Now he was eyeing suspiciously the two newcommers.

"Lookie what I found " Spike kicked the guy forward, " Tell the nice lady everything she wants to knwo."

"Why did you send you little pets at me ? Was it for money ? How did you recognised me ?"

"Money ? What do you mean ?!"

"Great ! He doesn't know me and still wanted to kill me huh ? Why ?"

Spike squezzed his throat," We had a job in San Francisco that paid well and came to LA to play. Then I spotted you, see I'm a mind reader and you were the only one who blocked me, I wanted to study you !!"

Buffy nodded and Spike ended the demon's life.

"Come here", she encouraged the wary boy, " Here's my... Spike.... a friend and often my stalker." Said Buffy annoyed.

"Occasionaly stalkee as well." Spike sneered, happy to remind her the last time they saw each other. " And the lad is ?"

Buffy frowned.

"The 'lad' is going home. Go, I'l pick you up tomorrow, I have to talk with him. You can go home by yourself can't you ?"

The boy nodded and went home but still worried about his mentor being by herself with an obviously non human 'Spike'.