Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally could post this chapie.. dunno why had to fix and fix some things again and well, never seem to find the right words ! Anyway, here it is !
Five minutes later, when Buffy got out of the room, the only thing that changed in her appearance was her hair that looked less messy.

She was still wearing the leather coat, getting herself different looks from the W&H associates, and, while trying her best not to eye the clothes that she remembered were under the books and couch, she chose to ignore the blushing, the appreciatives, the awkward and the suppressed anger.

She leaned herself by the door as Spike, now wearing his usual jeans and black T-shirt was standing behind her with his smug smile.

" Now can you tell me what's gotten you all worked up ? " she said, trying to tighten even more the leather fabric to overcome her embarrassment until she found out it was more revealing that way.

As no one else seemed to volunteer, Wes took the initiative to explain to her the problem, telling her she unknowingly made herself a very powerful enemy, one that could kill her and still remaining in the shadows while she was out there in the open, but only one detail mattered to the slayer.

" What ?! " asked the outraged Slayer, " You called my friends and Watcher ?! AND my sister ?! "

" We.. we couldn't find you and, it was an emergency... " said Wesley as he momentarily channelled to the young green boy who used to be her watcher, "... we thought you could stay inside W&H, so we can insure your safety.

Thinking 'I can't believe it ! yeah right ! ' and some curses she closed her eyes to calm herself and respond to the gang's invitation :

" Well, thank you for the ... kind offer, but over the years I had made myself many more enemies and well, they weren't wusses, I'm the slayer who lived the longest while still doing my duty so I don't think I need your protection, and most of all W&H's. "

" You've died twice, luv. "

His calm demeanour was bothering her, making her snap : " That was different ! I mean, they're only sending bounty hunters, been there, done that ! No biggie ! "

He just looked at her pointedly, making her feel like a stubborn child.

As she caressed unconsciously her left arm with her right hand, she explained : " I mean I have a safe place to stay, won't be taking any unneeded risk. "

" Well, means you'll be taking some 'much needed' risks then, huh ? " asked Lorne very with a knowing look.

" And what makes you think you'll be safe ? " asked Wesley very curious.

" I have a charm that makes me invisible to people who are looking for me with magical ways, that's why you guys couldn't find me. And the Watcher's council has a protected house in LA that no one knows about. So I'll be okay !" she explained in a perky voice.

" Where's this place ? We can at least escort you to there." the vampire behind her said while taking one of her curls around his finger.

" I can go home by myself ! " She slapped his hand off gently, she was a slayer for god sake ! Not a damsel nor a wimp !

" I know you can defend yourself ! You can even bloody stake me on your best days ! But what if your place is not as safe as you think ? Or if you get bloody attacked on the way there ? You know none of us would leave you by yourself until we know you're okay. You'd do the same, right ? "

Spike said, leaving regretfully her lock and putting his hand on her shoulder instead.

Squeezing gently, he added : " Does Caleb ring a bell, Pet ? "

He was sorry he had to remind her the preacher who had taken so many potentials and the whelp's eye, sorry to feel her freeze at the low blow he threw at her, but he had to convince her not to underestimate her opponent, to let them help... To let HIM help.

She turned her head around, wanting to shout at him for his unfairness, to hit him as hard as his words hit her, but the concern in his eyes, stopped her she just caressed his forearm, touching the place she knew her fellow slayer had cut :

"Okay, it's two blocks from here, but we'll have to walk, I don't want a replay of yesterday. I'm the Slayer, sure won't die in a freaking car accident ! " and then, gently pulled his hand off of her.

Spike just looked at his empty hand and agreed with everyone else.

Just before leaving, she added : " Now, ground rules : I'm taking you with me not cause I'm scared but because I know you'll try to follow me anyway. A, I can lose you lot anytime I want to"

She then pointed her finger at Gunn : " B, You stop eyeing me and imagine things I'd have to knock you out for, and C, Angel get over your brooding self or you're not going with us ! " she finally glared at the vampire who had been keeping silent and faking to ignore the blonde duo. She knew he was having a hard time but hers was'nt easy either, and feeling his whole disapproving vibes were starting to get on her nerves on top of everything.

As she picked Spike's snicker, she added " And you, behave ! "

As the group accompanied her, Fred by her side and the guys behind, looking around to spot any enemies, she found out that it was harder than she thought to walk the one mile that separated her from Spike's place. Even though the coat she was wearing arrived almost to her ankles, it was slit in the back, so if she wasn't careful enough, it would go up mid-thigh.

She knew she had worn dresses and skirts shorter than that, WAY shorter than that ! But she could feel the leather caressing her naked body with each step, Spike's gaze two feet behind her, knowing she had nothing under it.

With each step she got more aroused, his sent that was still lingering all around her, the knowledge that with his enhanced vampire senses he could smell her...

'Oh God !! Enhanced vampire senses ! Vampire !!! ' her mind back on track.

'Yeah, if Spike could smell her, then Angel.. ' She sneaked a look at her first love.

He was diverting as much as possible his eyes from her, looking the other way around, his face even paler than she thought it could be.

'God !!! He knows !!'

How could she forget that Spike wasn't the only vampire around with the bad habit of taking sniffs ?

She blushed hard and even harder as she caught Spike's sneer at her blood rush.

She never thought she'd feel that much relief when she finally arrived to the abandoned former cornfield !

" Okay, we're here ! Thanks everyone for everything !" she said perkily, hugging a stunned Fred.

The others just stared at her and around, trying and failing to spot anything that looked like an habitable place for humans or even demons.

" We're not going to leave you alone in the middle of nowhere just 'cause you're feeling uncomfortable, Slayer ! " Spike snarled.

" I'm REALLY staying here. " she said, but seeing that the lot didn't believe her, she cursed " Hell ! Okay, 'guess I gotta invite you in and have THE talk tonight ! "

They all looked at her like she lost her mind but she just took Fred's hand and ordered irritatedly :

"Just take each other's hands ! Wes, take Fred's and so on... The link must be there, hurry up before I change my mind ! "

When the boys finally obeyed, Wes holding Fred's hand, Spike holding hands with Wes and Gunn and then Lorne and Angel to close the march, Buffy lead them inside the field and after a few steps they felt a breeze strong enough to make them close their eyes. When they opened them, they were on the threshold of a gorgeous manor.

" Make yourself at home " smiled Buffy, as she invited the awestruck crowd into her pied-à-terre.

They just looked at each other trying to see if they were all seeing the same wooden floor, the same tastefully decorated entrance and huge stairs.

Lorne was the first to recover his ability to talk.

" Wow !! Just wow !! That's magnificent !!! How come ? And look at that !! "

" Well, the decorating is not from me,---" Buffy was starting to explain to them, bips from the conference room interrupted her " Let's go that way, you'll get comfy while I turn that off. "

It was her answering machine ! A dozen of messages were waiting to be listened to ! Knowing whom they were from and the reason of their call, she just ignored them, pushing the button to turn the bips off.

As she invited them to sit down, she started to have a headache, imagining how she would eventually have to answer those calls later, to answer the questioning looks that were aimed at her right at the moment.

Everyone was waiting after her, as always, and as the mood was getting more and more awkward with the gang looking back and forth at the the dark and even more broody vampire, the younger one and their common ex.

Buffy knew she had a little bit of explaining and a lot of convincing to do, but she hated what she had to do, acting all I-know-what's-best thingy in front of people she only met a day ago, and even more so in front of the two of the men who mattered the most in her life.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to start the talking,

" You see, when we decided... I mean the house..." but just couldn't find the right words, rummaging nervously into the coat, she found the exact thing she knew would be unmistakably there : a little bit of courage.

Taking out the flask, she opened it and as she was to pour some into her mouth she heard a throat clearing sound.

Facing Spike's disapproving look, her discomfort just rose.

" Oh bite me ! "

" Gladly, Luv." he teased at her choice of words "But the booze is still mine"

She rebelliously drank anyway but he shook his head and made a sign to have his flask back.

Knowing that he was right and that she also needed to have a clear head, she muttered under her breath what she thought he could do with his flask and threw it at him violently.

He just caught it and sneered " Watch your language young lady. " and added when she looked at him " Vampire's enhanced hearing, Slayer."

" You're what ? My father now ? Buffy can't drink, can't swear ?! " relieving her stress on him.

He just smiled and replied with a suggestive smile only he could make : " Nothing fatherly between you and me, Pet."

He then tilted his head : "Or are you talking about role playing ? ' Cause I'm totally in. "