Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to you guys who have reviewed!

Enjoy!
Will came back before dinner that night, not giving any explanation to where he had been. He and Xander didn’t speak for the rest of the night, a fact that was glaringly obvious to Buffy. However, her mother and aunt never questioned it and acted like all was normal, chatting about their day on the mountain and asking the kids about their day.

‘This is so wrong!’ Buffy screamed in her head. She couldn’t handle this. It was better when she thought they were a couple, at least things were more normal then. ‘And if they actually were a couple, are they broken up now?’

Will kept looking to Xander as if waiting for him to say or do something. Xander wouldn’t even spare a glance at Will. They were both so stubborn, though. Buffy knew that neither of them wanted to be the first to say something.

Xander turned on the T.V. after dinner, still ignoring Will’s glances.

“I’m going for a walk,” Will said gruffly, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and walking out the door without any further explanation.

“Xander, you can’t just-“ Buffy started.

“Yes, I can,” he said, cutting her off as he flipped through the T.V. channels.

Buffy knew that with her brother, it was best to let him cool off before she tried to talk about it. So she decided to let it be for now, however frustrating it was.

‘I just want to understand,’ she thought to herself.

Will came back an hour later and retreated to the bedroom immediately. Buffy thought about going to talk to him, but decided against it.

‘Xander will think I’m taking Will’s side if I do that; then he’ll never talk to me.’ She sat contemplating what to do for a while, and then she got an idea. ‘It’s time to take this problem to the bug guns,’ she decided.

***

“Mom, can I ask you a question?” Buffy looked at her mother over the dress rack in the small boutique they were in.

Buffy had convinced Joyce to take her shopping the next day, saying that she wanted to go before the left Tahoe the day after. Helen had some work to do from home, so she was unable to accompany them.

“What is it, sweetie?” Joyce asked. She held up a simple black dress and looked it over before putting it back on the rack.

“Have you ever thought…that maybe…Xander and Will might be…you know,” she struggled to find the words. Talking to her mother was a last resort, so she was reasonably nervous.

Joyce looked at her and smiled understandingly. “Buffy, are you asking me if I think that Xander and Will are in a relationship?”

“Yeah,” she replied, surprised that her mother has guessed so quickly. ‘Was it obvious to everyone but me?’

Joyce looked down for a moment, brow furrowed. “Of course, I’ve considered it.”

“You have?”

“Well, yes. They do have an unusually close relationship for two boys.”

“I guess I’m the only one that didn’t see that.”

“It’s understandable, honey. Will’s been around for so long that you wouldn’t think it abnormal,” Joyce explained, moving on to a rack of dress pants. “Did you ask either of them about it?”

Buffy followed after her mother, amazed by her nonchalance during the conversation.

“Yeah. Xander just laughed and said not to believe everything I hear. Will told me they weren’t together.”

“And that answer didn’t satisfy you?”

“I thought it did. But, I guess not.”

“I see.”

“And something happened yesterday,” she was feeling more forthcoming with the information, especially because she couldn’t talk to either Xander or Will about this.

“I figured,” Joyce smiled wryly. “They were unusually quiet at dinner.”

“Yeah, Xander got mad at Will for flirting with the waiter in the café. He said Will was embarrassing him. I thought he was being ridiculous, but then I saw Will take the waiter’s number and now I don’t know what to think anymore. I tried to talk to Xander, but he wouldn’t and I don’t know if I can talk to Will anymore. It’s all so confusing,” she finished with a sigh, relieved to have gotten it out.

“I know, Buffy. But, I think this may be something better left alone.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, don’t try to press the matter anymore. They’ll figure things out eventually.”

“But, mom. If they are together, or were, then why couldn’t they just be open about it?”

Joyce chuckled. “You have a lot to learn about this world, sweetie.”

“Are you saying you wouldn’t be okay with it?” Buffy was confused and a little bit angry with her mother.

“It’s not me that wouldn’t be okay with it.”

“What do you mean?”

Joyce didn’t answer her, but just kept on moving through the clothing racks.

Later, after Joyce opened the trunk of her car to put in the shopping bags, she surprised Buffy with a hug.

“Everything will be okay,” she said softly as Buffy relaxed into her embrace.

“Will it?”

“I know this is all confusing for you, but be strong. It will all work out.” She pulled back and brushed her thumb over Buffy’s cheek, smiling gently.

“But what if it doesn’t?” she insisted.

“Don’t think like that,” Joyce scolded, shutting the trunk and getting into the car. Buffy followed suite, hoping with everything that she was that her mother was right.

***

They next day was New Year’s Eve and they were heading home early in the morning. Buffy was glad to be leaving, as she didn’t think she could spend another night in the cramped bedroom with Will and Xander’s tension in the air. She knew that Will and Xander felt the same.

Buffy had been thinking more about Joyce’s laissez-faire attitude when it came to the boys. She still couldn’t help but think that it was a bad idea. ‘Not that I think I could force them to talk to each other,” she thought. “But, a least someone could make them think about reconciling.”

They packed their things into Joyce’s car, said their goodbyes to Helen and were on their way home. Xander claimed the front seat for himself, obviously to avoid sitting next to Will. He put his headphones on immediately, signaling his lack of desire to talk to anyone. Without Xander’s usual chatter, the ride was very quiet. Will spent most of it reading and Buffy tried to do some homework, but was having great trouble focusing.

“So Will,” Joyce said about halfway through the ride. “Have you been thinking much about college?”

He looked up from his book and said “um, a bit.”

“Well, I think you should definitely consider pursuing an art career,” she said encouragingly. “You have too much talent to waste.”

“Thanks and uh, yeah,” he said, “I’m thinking about it.”

“Listen, Will,” Joyce started. “I’ve been a little short handed at the gallery recently. Would you maybe want to come help out a few days a week? I’d pay you, of course. It would get you some good experience, especially if you plan on going to art school. Also, it looks great on a resume!” Joyce finished her pitch and looked at Will expectantly in her rear view mirror.

“Wow, Joyce. That’s really nice of you to offer. I just-“

“You don’t have to decided now,” she said, cutting him off. “Just think about it, okay?”

“Okay.”

Buffy looked at Will out of the corner of her eye, trying not to let him know she was staring. She saw the corner of his lip twitch in the beginnings of a smile.

“Actually, Joyce,” he said after a moment. “I would love to.”

“Great!” she said excitedly. “I don’t reopen until the weekend, so I’ll let you know when you can start.”

“Can’t wait,” he replied with a smile.

“Will, you are going to learn so much. I can show you how to…” Joyce continued to ramble on excitedly about the gallery.

Buffy stared out the window, not listening. However, she was grateful to her mother for breaking the awkward silence that had hung in the air. She then heard a beeping noise coming from her cell phone, signaling that she had a new text message. She looked at her phone and saw it was from Riley.

“C’s party 2nite?” it read. It all the drama of the past two days, Buffy had totally forgotten about her New Year’s Eve plans to go to Cordelia’s party with Riley.

‘I think I need a little fun tonight. Get my mind of all this,’ she thought hopefully.

“Yup,” she texted back.

“Pick u up at 9?” he sent back.

“Sounds great!”

***

Will had left immediately upon their arrival home. He thanked Joyce for everything, said goodbyes and left in his DeSoto.

“So, are you and Will going to do your annual New Year’s horror movie marathon tonight?” Joyce asked Xander as they unpacked the car.

Buffy knew exactly what her mother was doing. She was using one of her passive-aggressive techniques to get Xander to admit something. It was something she had often done with their father before they divorced.

“I don’t think so,” Xander said, trying to act nonchalant, but failing miserably.

“You know you have to talk to him sometime,” Joyce said.

“No, I don’t,” Xander replied, climbing the stairs out of sight.

“What happened to let him figure it out, Mom?” Buffy asked, arms crossed.

“Had to try something,” she shrugged. “So, I thought you might want to come to the Andrews’ party with me tonight. I know they’d love to see you there again this year.”

The Andrews’ were friends of Joyce’s who hosted a New Year’s Eve party every year. In years past, Buffy had always gone, wanting to avoid the horror movie fest at home and having no other plans. It was always a drag, so Buffy was grateful to have other plans.

“Actually, I told Riley I’d go with him to Cordelia Chase’s party,” she said, praying that her mother wouldn’t object.

“Oh,” he mother said in surprise. “Alright, then.”

“Really? I can go?”

“I can’t see why not. Just make sure you call me if you need a ride home. If Riley’s been drinking I don’t-“

“I know, I know. I promise, I will.”

“I want you home before 1 o’clock. Remember, you and Xander are spending the day with you father tomorrow.”

‘Crap.’ Buffy had almost forgotten about that. About once a month, Hank Summers would come to Sunnydale to spend some time with his children. When she was younger, Buffy always looked forward to it. These days it had become more like a chore.

“Can’t wait,” she said, voice dripping in sarcasm. Joyce only smiled.


Chapter End Notes:
Party time in the next chapter!

Reviews would be lovely!

Thanks for reading!