Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all the wonderful reviews on the last chapter!! They make my day!

Buffy knew that Xander had been taking the bus home. So, she found it odd that he was nowhere to be seen when she got on with Willow that afternoon. Will was spending some time photographing his work for his portfolio with Mrs. Cobb. Buffy decided that she would go home after school, not wanting to see Will flirt with Mrs. Cobb. Besides, she and Willow had a science project to work on, which required some household materials.

“Xander must have left school early,” Buffy said to Willow as they took a seat together. The bus was loud and crowded, making her remember why she hated it so much.

“Who would he have gone with?” Willow asked.

“I have no idea,” Buffy said. “I hope everything’s okay.” She became more concerned as she ran through various scenarios in her head. She had to force herself to stop thinking about it as they neared home. As the bus pulled up in front of her house, she saw an unfamiliar blue sedan in the driveway.

“Whose car is that?” Willow asked her as they walked up the driveway.

“I have no idea,” she said.

“Maybe Xander has a new friend?” Willow suggested.

“Maybe,” Buffy said dismissively, opening the front door, which had been left unlocked. She and Willow walked into the house. Turning to look into the living room for Xander, they were met with shocking sight.

There on the couch was Xander, with what appeared to be a small brunette girl straddling his lap. They were kissing, although kissing was probably too tame a word for what they were doing. They seemed to be trying to suck each other’s lips off and the sight of them made Buffy feel a bit sick. This something she had never thought she would see, or ever wanted to for that matter.

“Oh my god!” Buffy exclaimed, eyes wide and unable to look away. Willow just made a small squeaking sound.

Hearing Buffy, Xander immediately pushed the girl off of him and she fell unceremoniously onto the floor with a loud “Ow!”

“Buffy!” he said, surprised. “You weren’t supposed to be home until later.” He wore an expression of both embarrassment and annoyance as he stood up. Buffy said nothing, still in too much shock to do so.

The girl managed to pick herself up off the ground, with no help from Xander. She looked back and forth from Buffy to Xander, hands on her hips.

“Xander! Aren’t you going to introduce me?” she asked loudly, pulling Buffy and Xander out of their staring contest.

“Um, Anya this is my sister Buffy and her friend Willow,” he said. “This is Anya…my girlfriend.” He watched Buffy with a cautious expression, as if waiting for her to explode.

“Girlfriend?” she asked evenly, still not believing what was going on.

“Yes, girlfriend.”

“When did this happen?”

Anya answered for him. “Well, I just started at Sunnydale last week, and Xander and I met in the cafeteria my first day. I just thought he was so adorable and so I thought ‘wow, I’d really like to make out with him’ and he looked so sad at his table all alone. So I walked up to him and sat right down and told him he and I were going to be friends, with of course the hope that one day it would be more. And then he asked me out and we’ve been doing this ever since,” she finished with a smile, putting her arm around a sheepish Xander.

“Doing this meaning?” Buffy asked. Under normal circumstances she probably would have found Anya rather amusing; she was a very strange girl. However, these were not normal circumstances.

“Making out on the couch,” Anya said bluntly.

‘Gross,’ Buffy thought, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

“Anya, remember what I said about that,” he said in a warning tone.

“You Californians are so reserved,” she said with an eye roll. “I’m from New York,” she explained, looking at Buffy and Willow, who just nodded in understanding.

“Let’s go to your house,” Xander said, turning to Anya.

“Ok, my parents are working late tonight, so we have the whole place to ourselves,” she replied with a suggestive smile, wrapping her arms around his neck. Buffy thought Anya looked uncomfortable.

“I’ll be back later,” was all Xander said as he and Anya grabbed their things and walked out the front door.

“What the hell just happened?” Buffy said, turning to look at Willow’s blushing face.

“Wow.”

***

“So, you’re telling me he has a girlfriend?”

“Yes.”

“An actual girlfriend?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure it’s like that?”

“I saw them trying to eat each other’s faces. I’m pretty sure it’s like that.”

It was a few hours later and Will and Buffy sat in the Summers’ kitchen. Buffy and Willow had finished their project and Will had come over after he was done at school. Buffy had immediately told him of what had happened with Xander and Anya earlier.

“Sounds like someone’s got himself a beard,” Will said.

“Are you sure? They were like, really touchy and stuff…and all with the gross smoochies.”

“Believe me, luv, Xander does not like girls,” he said seriously.

“He could be bisexual,” she suggested.

“I don’t think so,” he replied, shaking his head.

“Well, how do you know?”

“Xander has never taken interest in a girl, Buffy. Ever.”

“Okay, but-“

“Let’s say I’m wrong, Buffy. Let’s say he does like girls. Explain all the other things that have happened. And besides, one time, when we were thirteen, I found a DVD in my Da’s closet, called Squirt Queens Five.”

“That’s disgusting,” she said, making a face.

He ignored her and continued. “And I showed it to Xander, cause why not? And he made me turn it off after seeing a pair of tits for a second.

“Maybe he doesn’t like porn,” she reasoned.

“All guys like porn, pet.”

“Do you?”

“Yes. Love it, in fact”

“I so did not need to know that.”

“Hey, you asked. I told.”

“That still doesn’t mean he’s not bisexual,” she argued.

“You’re right, it doesn’t. But, I just really don’t think he is.”

“Well, I disagree,” she said, crossing her arms.

“Can we agree to disagree then?” he asked, holding out his hand.

“Fine,” she agreed, taking his hand and shaking.

“On a lighter note, I’ve gotten my entire portfolio together, finished my applications and written all my essays. Just have to drop everything in the mail.”

“Wow, this is like, for real,” she said with realization.

“Yeah, it’s kind of amazing,” he said with a wistful smile.

“We should celebrate after you mail it,” she said excitedly.

“Well, if I’m not mistaken, someone has a birthday coming up on Friday. So, I think I might have plans at the Bronze that night with her,” he teased.

“Oh, really? I bet she’s really excited about that,” she said playing along.

“She should be, “ he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

“But she’s also obligated to have dinner with her parents and brother that night,” she said with a frown.

“Well, then we’ll have to go after,” he said, dropping the charade.

“Do you wanna come to dinner?” she asked hopefully.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea? Xander will be there and it might be a bit awkward.”

“Well, you’re my friend and I want you there,” she argued. “Please?” she said, pouting her lip.

“I suppose I can suffer through for you,” he agreed. “Can’t say no to that pout.”

She smiled giddily, satisfied and excited for Friday.

“What about Captain Cardboard?” he asked suddenly.

Buffy frowned at the mention of Riley. “I thought you didn’t want to know about guys I like,” she said.

“So you still like him, then?” He got up from the table and started leaning on the counter, picking up a napkin and doodling on it.

“I didn’t say that. It’s just…I dunno. I don’t think I can forgive him for what happened. He was such a jerk about it.”

“Well, let me know if you want me to kick his ass.”

“He’s like twice your size.”

“Hey, I’m very scrappy. I could kick his bloody ass if I wanted!” He pointed the pen he had been using at her for emphasis.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Just say the word, kitten.”

A moment later, they heard the door open and slam shut. Xander came walking into the kitchen, lipstick smeared all over his lips and chin.

‘Couldn’t he have wiped that off,’ Buffy thought.

“Why is he here?” he asked her, not putting any emotion into his voice.

“Because I want him here,” Buffy said before Will could say anything. Xander didn’t respond and just went to the refrigerator and grabbed a can of soda.

“You ever gonna say anything to me again?” Will asked, hurt evident in his voice.

Xander still didn’t answer and just staring at him, taking a sip of soda and walking out of the room.

“You got something on your face, mate!” Will called after him.


Chapter End Notes:
Buffy's birthday up next!

Thoughts??