Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews on the first chapter!

I hope everyone can keep an open mind and continue reading. I don't want to give any more of the upcoming plot points away. I'm really happy with the way the story is going to progress and I hope everyone agrees.

Enjoy!
As Buffy sat in English class, she pondered the incident from the previous day. Like Will had said he would, Xander woke up around five and they studied until Joyce got home. Will had stayed for dinner, as he often did, and left when

‘Here I am thinking about Will again…’ she thought to herself, staring out the window.

As she daydreamed, she watched as boys began to run onto the school soccer field that the window looked out onto. She perked up when she saw Will and Xander running in the group. She watched intently as the coach blew his whistle and they began a game of soccer. She focused in on Will’s lithe form as he ran gracefully after the ball, stealing it from another boy and kicking it into the goal where Xander half-heartedly tried to block it. For someone who skipped gym class and played no sports, Will was very good at soccer. Buffy supposed it was because of his background.

‘They love soccer over there, don’t they? Or do they call it football? I’ve heard Will say that before.’ She decided that Will was just a natural athlete, blessed by the gods with good looks and effortless talent.

Converse to Will, Xander lacked any athletic ability. He was fortunate that his fast metabolism allowed him to eat as much as he did, because he avoided physical activity whenever he could.

Buffy watched as Will high-fived a few members of his team as Xander threw the ball back onto the field. Will attacked again, easily sending the ball past Xander, who didn’t even try to stop it. Buffy smiled to herself, marveling over the magnificence that was William Pratt.

‘God, he’s so-‘

“Miss Summers!” She was pulled out of her reverie by the loud voice of Mrs. Olsen, her English teacher.

“What? I’m sorry!” She straightened in her seat and looked to the stern face of her teacher.

“I asked you to talk about the use of symbolism in A Tale of Two Cities.”

“Oh, um…” she scrambled through her notes, looking for her homework.

“Maybe you should spend less time ogling the boys in shorts and pay attention in my class, Miss Summers.” Mrs. Olsen looked at her.

Buffy reddened, hearing snickers from some of the other students and earning a sympathetic look from Willow, who sat next to her.

“Miss Rosenberg!” Willow’s head snapped to the front of the room. “Maybe you can tell Miss Summers about the book, since she seems to be unprepared.”

Willow began to ramble on in her usual nervous manner. Buffy tried to listen as she looked at her desk, trying to hide her embarrassment. She was saved from any further torture by the sound of the bell. As she began to gather her things, she took a glance out the window as the boys began to head back into the school. She watched as Will playfully punched Xander in the arm, then slung his arm around Xander’s shoulders as they walked across the field. Will leaned closer to Xander’s and said something to him, causing Xander to erupt with laughter. Again, Buffy felt that familiar feeling of envy wash over her as she turned to leave the classroom.

******

Buffy and Willow stood in the parking lot waiting for Xander and Will to come outside. Buffy had invited Willow over to study for a few hours that afternoon. Buffy’s face lit up as she saw the two boys walking toward them.

“Hello, ladies,” Will said in a faux-suave voice. Willow flushed red when he gave her a wink.

“Guys, you remember my friend Willow. She’s coming over to study for a while,” Buffy informed them.

“I hear you’re quite the brain,” Xander said with an easy smile. “Hope you can help my sister turn those B’s into A’s.”

“You’re one to talk, Xan. Without Will you’d still be in the seventh grade.”

“Ouch, Buff. Hit me where it hurts.” Xander put his hand over his heart in a dramatic mock-pain gesture. “Besides, Mom’s given up on me doing anything great with my life. All her hopes rest on you now,” he joked.

“Lot of pressure, isn’t it pet?” Will smiled at her.

Buffy resorted to her usually comeback. “Shut up,” she retorted and turn to get into the back seat of the cars. The others followed suit and they were on their way to the Summers house. Buffy and Willow sat quietly in the back seat as Xander and Will had a boisterous debate about television shows.

“C’mon, mate,” Spike went on,” is there any reason for there to be another vampire show on T.V. It’s bad enough we got those bloody Twilight movies.”

“True Blood is a really good show,” Xander defended. “There’s sex, violence, drama, comedy, all you could ever want in a show!”
“So does Passions. It’s much better.” Spike said with a smug grin.

“And you think I have bad taste in T.V. shows.”

They continued to bicker as they arrived at home. Buffy and Willow quietly giggled at the boys’ silly argument. When they got inside, Will and Xander went up to Xander’s room to do their homework, as they usually did. Buffy and Willow went into the kitchen to grab a snack and get started on their studying.

“Want some juice,” Buffy asked Willow as she pulled two glasses from a cabinet.

“Sure,” Willow said with a smile. Buffy began to pour the juice. “ Xander and Will are really funny together.”

“Oh, yeah. They bicker like that all the time,” Buffy replied. “It’s not so funny when you’re around them twenty four seven,” she rolled her eyes.

“So Will’s around a lot then?’ Willow asked.

“Yeah, he hates his house so he and Xander always hang out here. Mom loves Will like he’s her own kid, so it’s no big deal.”

“What’s the deal with Will and Xander, anyway?”

“They’re best friends. They have been for five years actually.”

Willow looked at her skeptically. “They’re so…comfortable…with each other.”

“Yeah, they’ve been close for as long as they’ve known each other.” Buffy continued, oblivious to Willow’s subtle implication, “Nobody can really touch them. God knows I’ve tried.” She wore a wistful expression on her face, which Willow took note of.
“You really like him, don’t you?” she asked softly.

“Is it that obvious?” she flushed.

Willow giggled, “Kind of.” She continued, “It’s just the way you look at him. I mean, just today in English class-“

“Ugh, don’t remind me!” she exclaimed. “We should probably get to studying.”

“My specialty,” Willow said with a big grin.

*****

Later that night, Buffy got a rare opportunity to spend time alone with her brother. Will had left earlier then usual, without giving much more of an explanation than “I have things to do.” Joyce was working late, which left Buffy and Xander to have dinner alone.
Sometimes she really missed spending time with him like they had when they were young children.

Buffy heated up soup for both of them, not trusting herself or Xander to make anything better than that. She brought the bowls into the living room and set them on the coffee table. Xander was intently watching one of the rare music videos playing on MTV.
Xander had always harbored a love of hip-hop music, a fact that always caused heated debates between him and Will. Xander picked up his bowl of soup and started eating, still watching the television. Buffy sat next to him on the sofa and began to eat as well. She watched him, waiting for him to say something to her.

She turned to look at the television, seeing a girl in a pink wig bending over, her enormous behind highlighted perfectly. She took in the music as well, remembering hearing the song on the radio.

“So…” Xander started,” do you think that’s her real ass?”

Buffy erupted into laughter and quickly forgot the distance that she had felt before. They fell into their easy banter and spent the rest of the night enjoying each other’s company.

******


Buffy sat in the cafeteria and wondered why anyone in his or her right mind would want to be here. After sitting in classrooms for hours, the students unleashed their energy at lunchtime, resulting in a boisterous cacophony in the large room. Will and Xander were so lucky they were senior and were allowed to leave campus for lunch. She struggled to listen to Willow’s chatter over the noise of rowdy teenagers.

She nodded every so often at the things Willow said. However, she focused her attention at the door when she saw Will and Xander enter.

“What are they doing here?” she wondered aloud.

“Don’t they usually leave for lunch?” Willow asked her.

“Yeah…” she trailed off as she saw them spot her and head towards here. Smiles broke out of both of their faces, which Buffy easily returned.

“Hey, Buffster,” Xander used his old nickname for her as her approached her table.

“What are you two doing here?” she questioned.

“We’re heading home early today and Will has a dentist appointment to go to, so we won’t be here to pick bring you home later.” Xander informed her.

“Oh, okay. I guess I’ll just take the bus then,” she said, trying to hide her disappointment.

“We’ll see you later, okay pet?” Will added.

“Yeah,” she smiled up at him.

They uttered goodbyes as they turned and exited the cafeteria. Buffy noticed a lot of other students watching them, girls giggling; probably gushing over the hotness that was Will. ‘Maybe Xander too,’ Buffy conceded, as she mostly refused to think of her brother that way. ‘Too weird,’ she thought. Buffy’s musing was interrupted by the large figure that planted himself in the seat next to her. She turned to gaze upon one Riley Finn.

Riley was a junior and a member of the football team. He was cute enough, even if too big and tall for Buffy. Riley had taken an interest in Buffy about a month previous, which she decided was due to the fact that she had gotten her braces off and started wearing makeup. She had been lightly encouraging the flirtation in a half-hearted attempt to get over her hopeless crush on Will. However, it was to no avail.

Buffy liked Riley well enough. He was always a gentleman and carried her books for her. She could tell he was waiting for the right moment to ask her out. She hadn’t decided if she would say yes or not.

“Hey, Buffy,” he greeted her with a wide smile.

“Hi,” she smiled back genuinely.

“I’m gonna go get another soda,” Willow got up from her seat in an effort to give the two some privacy. Although, in the crowded cafeteria it was a near impossibility.

“What’s up?” she turned back to Riley.

“Just wanted to come talk to you. You look lovely as usual,” he flirted.

Buffy blushed at his compliments and fiddling nervously with her bracelet.

“I was wondering,” he began, “if you wanted to go with me to Cordelia’s party this Saturday. What do you say? Her parents are out of town so it should be a good time.”

Buffy decided that it was time to give in and see if this thing with her and Riley could become anything real. She had never been to one of Cordelia Chase’s parties before either, but heard they were the best of the best.

“Okay,” she said, “I’d love to.”

“Great!” he said excitedly. “I’ll pick you up at 8?”

“Sounds great.”

The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period.

“Can I walk you to class?” he asked her hopefully, picking up her books from the table.

“Yeah,” she said as they went to exit the cafeteria. As he rambled on about who knows what, Buffy’s mind wandered to Will and if he would even blink an eye that she had a date that weekend. ‘Fat chance’ she thought, and turned her attention back to Riley.

****


Cordelia Chase tapped her on the shoulder in math class the next period. The teacher had yet to arrive and students talked amongst themselves. Buffy was usually silent in the class, as Willow was not in it with her, due to here higher aptitude. Buffy was surprised to turn around and see Cordelia smiling at her. Cordelia had barely spoken two words to her in her whole life, even though they had been in school together since kindergarten.

“So, I heard Riley asked you to the party this weekend,” Cordelia said in a singsong voice.

Buffy was baffled that Cordelia had heard already, it had happened less than an hour ago. Cordelia read the confused look on Buffy’s face.

“Riley told me after he asked you. He was so excited. He really likes you.” Cordelia smiled at her genuinely. Buffy decided that Cordelia might not be so bad after all.

“I really like him, too,” Buffy exaggerated, wanting to sound as excited as Cordelia did. She still couldn’t get over the fact that Cordelia Chase was talking to her, let alone being nice.

“On another noted,” Cordelia went on, “I saw your brother and that guy Will in the cafeteria today. All the girls were in a tizzy, especially Harmony. She thinks Will is so dreamy,” Cordelia rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, he gets that a lot,” Buffy said, unenthused.

“It’s too bad really,” Cordelia said shaking her head.

Buffy furrowed her brow, confused at Cordelia’s statement. ‘What did she mean by that?’

“What do you mean?” Buffy questioned.

“You know,” Cordelia whispered, “that he’s gay.”

“Wait, what?” Buffy was really confused now. ‘Since when was Will gay?’

“Aren’t he and Xander together?”

Buffy opened her mouth to say something, but couldn’t come up with words that made any sense.
Cordelia continued, “At least that’s what everyone else says. I mean, it seems like it’s pretty common knowledge at this point. They spend all their time together. They never really talk to anyone else. I’ve seen them hug, Buffy. I mean, straight guys don’t do that, at least not at school. I can’t believe…”

Buffy started to tune out Cordelia’s babbling, trying to contemplate the bomb that had just been dropped.


Chapter End Notes:
I, like Xander, have a great love of hip-hop music and couldn't help but reference my girl Nicki Minaj (and her epic ass) in the story.

Thanks for reading! Reviews are always welcome! :)