Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the lovely reviews on the last chapter. They inspired me to post the next chapter today!

Warning: This chapter contains some recreational drug use.
The next week passed in a flurry of excitement and things with Will and Xander had mostly gone back to normal. They just didn’t speak of any of it. Buffy didn’t think that Will or Xander had spoken of it to each other either. She didn’t understand why they couldn’t just laugh about it and let it go. Will clearly didn’t care, so she couldn’t understand why Xander would.

On the day before they left for Lake Tahoe, Buffy had a lunch date with Riley. She had been less excited about seeing him since her hope for Will was restored the week before. He picked her up at her house and took her to one of the local restaurants, nothing fancy, as she had asked.

“I got you a present,” he said with a smile as they sat across from each other in the small Italian restaurant. They had finished their dinner, and Riley insisted that she get dessert as well.

“Oh, Riley, you really really shouldn’t have. I didn’t think we were doing that and we really haven’t been dating long and-“

“Buffy, it’s ok, really. I’m not expecting anything from you,” he smiled gently. “I just really like you.”

She blushed at that, still not used to such compliments, though he gave them often.

He handed her a small box wrapped in silver paper and tied with a red ribbon. She took it from him hesitantly and stared at it for a minute.

“Open it,” he encouraged her.

She began to untie the ribbon, and then carefully took off the wrapping paper. She lifted the small lid and saw a small snowflake pendant nestled in cotton.

“I thought it was pretty, like you.”

‘So he’s not the most original,’ she thought. ‘But he’s sweet and thoughtful…and he thinks I’m pretty.’
“Thank you,” she said genuinely. She lifted the necklace out of the box and moved to put it around her neck.

“Here, let me help you with that,” he got up to rush around the table and fasten the necklace. Buffy pushed down the slight feeling of annoyance that she felt at this action and mumbled another thank you.

They talked about school and their plans for the holidays as they finished their dessert. Riley took Buffy home afterward and like always, walked her to her front door. She turned to him as he looked down at her expectantly. She saw him lean in slightly, waiting for her permission to move closer. She tilted her head up toward him and closed her eyes.

His lips touched hers gently, pressing lightly for a moment before they both pulled away. Riley smiled down at her, a gesture that she returned.

‘That was pleasant enough,’ she thought. His lips were soft, he didn’t try to stick his tongue in her mouth and he had enough restraint to pull back when she wanted him to.

“Thanks for everything, Riley,” Buffy said.

“I’ll see you when you get back from vacation, right?”

“Of course. Merry Christmas,” she said as she opened the door to go inside.

“Merry Christmas, Buffy,” he replied as he turned to go to his car.

Buffy glanced back at his retreating form and noticed Will’s car pulling into the driveway.

“You’re in my spot, mate,” he called to Riley from his car.

“Oh, sorry. Didn’t know it was yours, man,” Riley said apologetically.

“Just remember it,” he said with resolve and rolled his window back up.

Riley got into his car and drove off with a wave to Buffy, who was standing in the doorway watching the exchange. Will moved his car into his usual spot and Buffy rolled her eyes.

“You should just pee on it,” she called to Will as he approached the house, a large duffel bag in his hand.

“What, pet?” he asked, amused.

“Your parking spot. Mark it as yours, like a dog.”

“Well, that’s the difference between us and the animals, luv. We don’t pee on driveways.”

“Did you have to be such a jerk to him?” she asked accusingly.

“To Captain Cardboard? He needs someone givin’ him shit. He’s probably used to gettin’ his way all the time, being big and brawny and all.”

“There’s no need to be an asshole.”

“Who’s being an asshole?” Xander came down the stairs, hearing part of their conversation.

“Will, of course. Saying mean things to my boyfriend!”

“Oh, he’s your boyfriend now? I thought it was just a little thing.”

“I dunno,” she started shyly. “I think it might be a real thing. I mean, a relationship type thing. He gave me this necklace for Christmas.” She held the pendant away from her neck for the two boys to see.

“How original,” Will said, smirking.

“Yes, the snowflake pendant. Official Christmas gift of unoriginal boyfriends,” Xander joked.

“Shut up, guys. He’s sweet.” Buffy didn’t know why she was defending the gift, having thought the same thing earlier.

“And boring,” said Will.

“And dumb,” Xander shot back.

“And way too tall for you,” Will said with a teasing grin.

He and Xander burst in to laughter following that. Buffy pouted.

“Cheer up, pet,” Will said, giving her a pinch on the cheek, same as a grandparent would do.

“It’s just that no one will ever be good enough for our Buffy, right Will?”

“Right you are, mate,” he said with an exaggerated nod at Xander.

“You guys suck,” she said petulantly, before huffing away to her bedroom.

***

They woke up early the next morning, ready make the six-hour drive to Lake Tahoe. They loaded everything in the car and were on their way by seven.

The ride passed by quickly, with music, conversation and driving games as a distraction. Will and Xander even took turns driving to give Joyce a break.

They arrived at the condo that afternoon and were greeted by Helen, Joyce’s older sister. Aunt Helen was not married, but worked as a lawyer in L.A. She was an avid skier and came up to her condo on most winter weekends.

“Merry Christmas!” she called enthusiastically from the door as she watched them trudge through the snow with their bags. Hugs and kisses were exchanged and Joyce sent the boys back out to get the rest of the bags.

The condo had been decorated with very tasteful Christmas decorations. There was a modestly sized tree by the front window and stockings hung from the electric fireplace. Bows and candles adorned the tree, with a larger bow at the top. Buffy thought that these were the kind of decorations that only someone without children could have. She remembered their Christmases before the divorce. The house was fully decorated with an eclectic mix of things, mostly made by Xander and Buffy. She felt a wave of sadness come over her at the thought and pushed it from her mind.

Joyce and her sister were catching up in the kitchen as Buffy went to put her belongings into the bedroom. The condo was small but cozy, having only two bedrooms. Joyce would share Helen’s room and Buffy, Xander and Will would take the other. Luckily, there was a bunk bed and another twin bed in the guest room, making enough room for them to sleep comfortably. Buffy threw her bag onto the single bed, claiming it for herself.

‘Bunk beds are so overrated,’ she thought. When she was six and Xander was eight, he had begged their father for bunk beds. This left Buffy to suffer nights of staying awake while Xander tossed and turned, shaking the whole bed frame.

‘Thank god things are less awkward now,’ she thought as she put her clothes in the closet. With the three of them sleeping in the same room, Buffy couldn’t imagine what it would be like with all that tension between them. Of course, she still wondered about Xander’s major wigginess last week. She did not, however, want to rock the boat during the holidays and decided to drop it from her thoughts and enjoy their time together.

The boys came running in a few minutes later. Will threw his duffel on the top bunk before Xander had a chance to.

“Shit, Will, I wanted the top bunk!” Xander complained.

“Too bloody late,” Will climbed up and sprawled out on the bed, claiming his territory. “Besides, you got the top last year. It’s my turn.”

“Stop being such a baby, Xan,” Buffy said she saw Xander sit pouting on the bottom bunk. “So, what do you guys wanna do?”

“Well,” Will gave her an evil smirk and opened his bag. “I brought some goodies.” He pulled out a bag of marijuana and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

“I am so not doing that,” Buffy stated.

“C’mon, Buff, what kind of older brother would I be if I didn’t introduce you to all the bad things you’re not supposed to do?” Xander said.

“Under our supervision, of course,” Will added. “C’mon pet, it’ll be fun.” He waggled his eyebrows a bit and Buffy couldn’t help but smile.

“Maybe,” she said. “But, not now! At least wait until Mom and Aunt Helen go shopping or something.”

“If we have learned anything from the past, it is that nothing can keep Mom and Aunt Helen from factory outlets,” Xander said. “I’m sure they’ll be out of here soon.”

Xander was right. About ten minutes later, Joyce walked in the room and told them that her and Helen were going out for a few hours.

“Buffy, do you wanna come?” Joyce asked her.

Will and Xander both gave her a warning look, seeming to say ‘you’re not getting out of this one.’

“No, I think I’ll just hang out here,” she said, not looking her mother in the eye.

“Alright then,” Joyce said. “You kids behave yourselves.” She gave them a warning look, and then left the room.

“Don’t eat all of Aunt Helen’s food!” she called out to them as she and Helen walked out the front door.

“Joyce is the coolest mum,” Will said, wistful expression on his face.

“Wow,” Buffy was amazed. “I can’t believe she’s just gonna let us do it.”

“Yeah, well, I think mom and Aunt Helen had some fun in their day. It was the seventies after all,” Xander said.

Will jumped down from the top bunk and went to open a window. Xander pulled a small glass pipe out of his bag and filled the bowl with the green substance.

“That stuff stinks,” Buffy wrinkled her nose at the pungent, skunky aroma.

Will leaned toward her to whisper in her ear, “but it makes you feel oh so good,”

‘Why must he torture me?” she thought. She felt her face flush at his nearness.

Will handed Xander his Zippo light, which Xander used to light the pipe. He took a hit first and Buffy watched, mesmerized. He held the smoke in for a few moments, inhaled and then exhaled. He passed the pipe to Will, who held it out to Buffy.

“Just hold it, then put your mouth here and suck in, luv. I’m gonna light it again,” he said. He held up the lighter to light the bowl again as Buffy watched him nervously. “Just suck in the smoke and hold it in your mouth and inhale til you can’t anymore, then breathe out.”

“Make sure not to swallow the smoke,” Xander added.

‘It’s now or never,” she thought. She held the pipe to her mouth and Will lit it. She did exactly as she was told and sucked in the air. She held in the smoke and inhaled it into her lungs. She only did so for a moment before her eyes began to water and she let it out her mouth and nose.

“You’re a natural, pet,” he smiled at her. “Didn’t even cough.”

“I did it right?” she asked, more proud of herself than she had ever thought she would be after smoking weed.

“You betcha,” Xander said with a goofy smile. “We Summers’ are natural stoners.”

Buffy gave him a glare at that comment. She was determined to never be a stoner.

Will took a big hit next. Buffy watched, impressed with his lung capacity as he inhaled deep, and then let out a large puff of smoke.

‘Then again,” she thought, “he and Xander have probably been doing this since middle school.’

Xander took the pipe back. “I can do better than that,” he said as he lit up again.

“Not a competition,” Will said, smirking.

“Yes it is.”

“Fine, then. You’re on, mate.”

Xander took a slightly larger hit than Will had and exhaled with a satisfied grin. Will grabbed the pipe back from him and took and even bigger hit.

“You win,” Xander conceded. “I don’t think I can top that one.”

“Right you are.”

Buffy was starting to feel the effects of the weed and a contented feeling began to wash over her.

“Here, Buff, you wanna do another?” Xander offered her the pipe and the lighter.

Suddenly confident in her ability to smoke, Buffy took both from him and did exactly as she had watched Will and Xander do. She was able to inhale a bit longer this time.

“You should probably only do one more, pet,” Will suggested. “You’ve never done this and the effects will be too much for you.”

“Not a pro yet, like us,” Xander said with a laugh.

Xander and Will passed the pipe between them a few more times and Buffy could feel herself getting lighter.

Xander got up from the floor, intending to get the bag of chips he had left on the bed, but tripped over his shoe and fell back to the floor.

Buffy started giggling as she watched it happen and Will and Xander joined in a minute later. Soon, the three were in absolute hysterics. Buffy knew that it was mostly the effects of the pot, but relished in the feeling of euphoria that she felt at being with her two favorite people.


Chapter End Notes:
Naughty kids.

Thanks for reading!

Reviews are loved!