Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter feels kind of like a filler, but the words just keep pouring out of me, so I'll keep posting.

Thanks to everyone who had reviewed so far! I really appreciate it!

Enjoy!
Buffy decided that playing Mario Kart while high was the best thing ever. She even found she was better than usual, and managed to kick Xander’s ass several times, which almost never happened. It also helped that Aunt Helen had a massive flat screen in her living room.

Will had joined them for a few rounds, and then retreated to the couch with a sketchbook. He shouted out a snarky comment or two about the game, but stayed quiet for the most part.

“Joyce will probably be home soon,” Will looked up from his drawing to tell the other two.

Their highs were wearing off, so they decided to call it a day on the video games.

“I totally kicked your ass,” Buffy said, poking her finger into Xander’s chest on each word.

“Hey, I had a handicap,” Xander argued.

“We had the same handicap, dumbass. There’s no excuse,” she replied, ending the argument. “I’m gonna go wash the skunk smell from my hair.”

Buffy left to go into the bathroom and Xander dropped onto the sofa and turned on the T.V.

After her shower, Buffy braided her wet hair and opted for a form fitting t-shirt and sweatpants over her comfy, but far less cute, yummy sushi pajamas.

She wandered into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of juice and a package of cookies. Going back into the living room, Buffy found Will still drawing and Xander fast asleep.
Xander took up the whole sofa, so Buffy went to sit on the smaller couch with Will. She pried the remote from Xander’s hand and sat next to Will, very conscious of how close she was to him.

She turned the channel from and episode of South Park that Xander had been watching and found a channel playing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, her favorite Christmas movie.

She found herself zoning out and thinking about the incidents of the past week.

‘I still don’t get it. I mean, Will says they’re not together, and I believe him. At least, I think I do. It really seemed like he was telling the truth though. Ughh. But, if they’re not together, then why did Xander act so weird about the question? It’s probably just one of those macho man things. Can’t let anyone even think that without his masculinity being threatened. That must be it, right? But Xander’s never really been one of those guys, has he?’

Buffy was hit with the sudden realization that maybe she didn’t know her brother as well as she thought, at least not anymore.

Her thought was interrupted by the sound of Will’s voice, though she missed what he had said.

Shaking her head she asked, “what did you say?”

“I asked if you were hungry. It’s starting to get late and I didn’t know if your mum was bringing us something.”

She looked at the cookies and juice that she had forgotten about.

“I was, but I forgot I guess. Oh, and she said something earlier about getting us pizza.”

“Oh, alright.” He paused for a moment, then continued, “You okay, luv? You seem a little distant.”

“Just thinking.”

“About what?” he asked, curiosity piquing.

“Nothing really,” she started, then decided to just go for it. “Well…actually, I was thinking about the whole you and Xander relationship thingy.”

“What about it?”

“Just that you were so great about it, but Xander was weird and avoidy after I asked. So…yeah, that’s it.”

Will seemed to think for a moment, not really knowing what to say.

“You didn’t lie to me, did you Will?” Buffy asked in a small, almost hurt voice.

“No! Pet, of course not.”

Buffy decided to accept his answer and drop the subject, at least for now. Will didn’t seem to feel the need to continue either.

“So, what’s the deal with you and the tin soldier?” Will asked, changing the topic.

“Who?” Buffy looked at him confused.

“Finn. Are you and him like, dating dating, or what?” he asked, nonchalant.

“I guess we’re dating for real. I mean, it’s been over a month and he got me the necklace and everything.”

“Just cause he bought you a bloody necklace doesn’t mean you owe him anything.”

“I know, it’s just-“

“Buffy, look at me,” he said seriously. She was surprised at his use of her name, something he rarely did. “You don’t owe him anything.”

“I know that, it’s just -,” she paused, thinking for a moment. “Wait. You mean…oh god Will, that is not going to happen!” She was outraged at what he was insinuating. ‘How could he think I’d sleep with Riley?’

“Alright alright!” he said, holding his hands up. “I’m just lookin’ out for you, luv. I know how girls in high school sometimes think that they have to-“

“I am not one of those girls, Will,” she said seriously.

He smiled softly, “you’re right, you’re not.”

Buffy felt flushed, both from the conversation they had just had and the way he was smiling at her, and looked away.

The sound of the door opening caused them both to look up. Joyce and Helen walked in, carrying shopping bags and a pizza box.

“You kids behave?” Joyce asked with a knowing smile.

“Always do, Joyce,” Will said with a charming smile.

***

The next day was Christmas Eve and Buffy was filled with the excitement of a six year old. Every year, she, Joyce and Helen would spend the morning baking gingerbread cookies. They would then decorate the cookies with colored icing and sprinkles, letting Xander finish whatever icing was left.

She bounced into the kitchen at nine in the morning, where Joyce and Helen had already started on the cookie dough. Buffy always looked forward to this time she could spend with her mother, who worked a lot of the time.

“So, Buffy,” Aunt Helen started, “your mother tells me you have your first boyfriend.” She smiled that annoying smile that all adults have when asking teenagers questions like this.

“Um, yeah,” Buffy said. “His name is Riley; he’s a junior.”

“He’s on the football team,” Joyce added. “Nice boy, very tall and handsome.”

“I always had a thing for hunky jocks, too,” Aunt Helen said wistfully, seeming to recall her younger days.

‘No, got a thing for short stoner artsy guys,’ Buffy thought, but didn’t dare speak aloud. “Yeah, he’s pretty great,” she said instead.

Aunt Helen managed to pry some more information from Buffy, which she offered with forced enthusiasm. Eventually, they arrived at less Buffy-focused topics, leaving her somewhat relieved as they continued their baking and girl talk.

By the time Will and Xander rolled out of bed they had made over five-dozen cookies. The boys walked in at the same time, still in their sleepwear. Will sat down at one of the barstools at the island. Xander grabbed a tree-shaped cookie off the cooling rack and sat down next to Will.

“Xander!” Buffy whined. “They’re not even iced yet!”

“Yet, still delicious,” he said with a full mouth.

“Would you boys like any juice or breakfast?” Aunt Helen offered.

“Just some orange juice, please,” Will asked politely.

“I’ll have whatever is most delicious, Aunt Helen,” Xander said smirking.

“Here’s the pantry,” she pointed out, letting Xander know that he could get it himself if he was going to be a wise ass. “Have at it.”

Aunt Helen was a no nonsense kind of lady, which made for a very good lawyer. She was a polite and gracious host, but wouldn’t take any of Xander’s crap. Buffy had always loved that about her. She had the same kind face as Joyce, albeit with a few more lines. Yet, Joyce had wild curly hair, whereas Helen had that straight, short-layered blond hairstyle that Fox News anchors always seemed to have.

“What are the plans for the day?” Will inquired after thanking Helen for the glass of orange juice she had handed to him.

“Well, unless you want to help in here, then you can do whatever you’d like,” Joyce replied.

“But, if you feel the need to smoke, please do it outside somewhere. I don’t want you stinking up my living room again,” Aunt Helen added. She was serious, but smiled so as not to seem angry with them.

“Sir yes sir,” Xander said with an exaggerated military salute.

“Actually, can you boys go to the store for me?” Joyce asked. “We need some more things for tomorrow’s dinner.”

“Sure thing, Mom,” Xander said.

He and Will went to go get dressed and Joyce made a short list of the things she needed at the supermarket. They came in five minutes later, outerwear on and ready to go.

“Take your time,” Joyce said, handing Xander the list and two twenty-dollar bills. Buffy didn’t expect them to be back for a while.

“That Will is so handsome,” Helen said after the boys had left.

Buffy tried hard not to look at her mother or Aunt Helen. She always felt her face get hot when he came up in a conversation.

“And so nice and polite,” Helen added.

“Oh, yes.” Joyce said. “He’s a very charming boy. Isn’t that right, Buffy?”

Buffy’s face flushed a deep red. She gave her mother a look of disbelief and embarrassment.

“Mom!” she exclaimed with a whine. Lucky for her, Joyce gave her a reprieve.

“It’s a wonder he is the way he is, though,” Joyce continued. “Those parents of his are so…well, pardon my French, but awful. I’ve only really met them once, and believe me that was enough. You’d think English people would be more polite. I don’t even know how they manage to stay in the country. I mean, the father has some sort of job, I guess, but, from what I assume, also has an alcohol problem. The mother does too, I think. I mean, Will is always over at the house, so there must be a reason he never wants to go home. But, he’s become like one of my own. Can’t imagine what it would be like without him,” she finished, smiling.

“Well, he’s lucky to have a friend like Xander,” Helen said.

“Oh, yes. They’re very close,” Joyce replied.

‘Yeah, some would say too close,’ Buffy thought with a tinge of jealousy as she squirted green food coloring into the icing.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!