Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the reviews. This chapter was hard to write and ended very similar to last chapter, but I wanted to give you guys the mind set of both Buffy and William, so please forgive me for the redundancy.

And the length...more words than last time, sorry!

Edit:New beta chapter by Sharon/Havena! Many thanks to her!


The trip to the next town was shorter than William expected, but he understood why. The car moved ridiculously fast, just as Miss Summers had told him. He kept his head down the entire way as he wasn’t used to traveling at such speeds. Once the car slowed as they entered the town William’s curiosity got the better of him and he soon wished he had kept his eyes shut.

The town was entirely something else. William was used to towns with brick and wood buildings stacked next to each other that stood on dirt or cobbled roads filled with horses. What he saw now was cement everywhere, glass buildings, oddly shaped buildings of all sizes and large roads. It also appeared that Miss Summers was not indecent as he thought with her attire, all women in this town were wearing pants or if they wore dresses it would cling to their bodies, which made him look away in embarrassment.

There were no carriages or horses on the roads, just cars speeding passed them. If Miss Summers and Mr. Giles hadn’t told him he was in the future he would have guessed it by now. This place could only be a dystopian future. After everything he was told today he no longer felt he could be overwhelmed by the sights around him, he now only felt empty.

William’s memories of his last night in London haunted him. It matched vampire lore he knew of. The unknown woman drank his blood and as he felt himself drift into darkness she had urged him to drink…something, but even though he couldn’t remember what he was supposed to drink he could infer what it was. Still William didn’t want to believe he had been a vampire. That wasn’t him, it couldn’t be him. So he held a small doubt, which to him was a small hope, that there was another explanation. How could a vampire return to his human state? That thought comforted him.

If it was all true, then a demon had taken his body and memories and used it against William’s own will and desires. He wouldn’t, couldn’t be the same being that would be a…a killer, a drinker of human blood. He couldn’t be evil, the thought tore at his stomach and he let out a soft groan. He closed his eyes again and leaned back in his seat, wishing he could have a few spirits to dull his wits.

A soft buzzing filled the inside of the car and it drew William’s attention. He watched as Giles pulled a small device from his pocket, flipped it open and placed it to his ear.

“Yes Xander?” Mr. Giles talked to the device and William was yet again confused. A moment later he heard the device talk.

Miss Summers leaned in close to him and whispered, “That’s a cell phone; it’s used to communicate over long distances.”

William understood, at least to some degree. He was learning to just accept things at face value, trying desperately to keep his mind away from how things worked and why they worked.

“I see, so you, Dawn and Willow will be at the Sunny Road Diner in about 15 minutes? And the others?” There was a pause where the person on the other end spoke, “I see, well done. We should be at the diner in about 20 minutes if we don’t have any other stops.” Mr. Giles paused again. “Yes, yes, goodbye.” With a quick hand movement Mr. Giles closed the cell phone and put it back in his pocket.

Miss Summers spoke up as soon as the cell phone was out of eye sight, “What did Xander want?”

“He just called to let us know that all the rooms needed have been booked at the Motel Inn and that they want to meet us for dinner.” Mr. Giles turned his head slightly, “Do you feel up to dinner or would you like to go to your rooms?”

Miss Summers was fast to voice her thoughts. “I’m starving; I could eat a whole cow.”

William was shocked at the phrase but decided that this may be normal speech and added his own opinion, “Would it be possible to call on a doctor?”

He hoped that he didn’t sound rude; the rules of this society were an unknown to him. Neither Miss Summers nor Mr. Giles looked inclined to ask about his health.

Miss Summers looked at him sharply, concern clearly etched on her face. Her concern warmed him. “Why, are you injured?”

“I believe something might have happened to my left side, but I know not how I received the injury.”

Immediately Miss Summers again closed the distance between them rather quickly. “Let me see.”

She tugged at his clothes, ready to inspect him. William was too surprised and stunned by her actions to react in time. He stiffened and tried to back away from her, but Miss Summers persisted and then he was out of room. His words came out strangled as his back hit the car door. “There is no…no…I am quite…alright…”

William’s hands went up in the air to try and stop her advances, but he fumbled. Frozen, he could only wait until she had undone his vest and undershirt. He felt her gently touch his bare skin, right where he knew his injury lay. He winced as pain coursed through him at her touch.

He watched her face, and found himself lost. She was simply concentrating on his injury, there was nothing else to her intrusion, but her touch sent strange jolts through him. He knew he was completely colored by his embarrassment, but for just a moment he didn’t care. The moment passed quickly though and anger rose in him at the invasion. Before he could say anything she began to remove her hand.

“I think it’s a small fracture, doesn’t feel too serious, no worries.” She looked at him then, her expression soft. “Do you want to go the motel or do you want to eat. I think we can wait to bandage you up if you want some chow.”

William thought for a moment. Now that the car was driving at a slower speed, he did feel famished. Knowing his injury wasn’t serious, he relaxed. He didn’t even think twice on Miss Summers’ assessment on his wound, for some reason he was beginning to trust her.

“Hey, what’s…this?” William followed Miss Summers gaze, her hand was still within his vest, frozen in place for some unknown reason. She then slowly withdrew her hand and in her palm was an amulet, simple in design. It held a single large clear stone. William never remembered putting on such an accessory.

When William looked back at Miss Summers he wasn’t expecting to find her in tears.

“Giles!?” Miss Summers sounded frantic.

“Yes Buffy? What’s wrong?”

“The amulet Spike was wearing when he…I found it.” William didn’t understand what was going on.

“Spike? Do you mean my…the Vampire?” William didn’t ever want to associate himself with his possible alter ego.

Miss Summers looked at him and he couldn’t read the emotions running across her face. “Yes, he was wearing this when he…he…” She couldn’t finish.

William saw Mr. Giles peering at them from the mirror in the front. “What’s going on Buffy? Has something happened, where is the amulet?”

Miss Summers raised her voice for Mr. Giles. “I found the amulet on William, he’s wearing it.”

“Oh dear…” Mr. Giles voice was low.

“Would someone please tell me what is going on?” Panic had returned, and everyone could hear it in William’s voice.

Miss Summers hesitated, but then spoke very quietly, “Spike wore this amulet. And because he did, because of the power of the amulet, he saved the world...but it…killed him.” By the time she reached the end of her explanation her voice was barely audible.

Repulsed at finding the amulet on him and what it could mean William quickly fought his attire and took off the amulet, pushing it towards Miss Summers. He looked out the window quickly, wanting to look at anything but Miss Summers. “Keep it Mrs. Summers; it looks like it belongs more to you than it does to me.”

With that William hoped that they would reach their destination soon, he wanted to eat, bath, take care of his injury and then sleep. He didn’t want to think any more about this day.

:::::::::::::::::

Buffy sat still as she stared expressionlessly at the amulet in her hands. Spike was dead, her Spike was dead. She knew that now. What was left was just a shadow of him, a piece that held no memory of loving her, or fighting beside her. He had shoved the amulet towards her so forcefully. William hated the idea of him being a vampire. She could understand that, but the amulet was something that meant something to her and to Spike. It caused Spike’s death, but it was also a sign that Spike was her champion, just as the scythe was a symbol of the strength Spike gave her.

She couldn’t cry now. Buffy had to be strong. She was used to shutting her feelings down and putting up her defenses. Sitting next to William almost felt as if she was sitting next to Spike, she was comforted by that fact, but she had been deluding herself these last few hours with him. She wanted to pretend her Spike was still alive, somewhere in William.

Buffy moved as far away as she could from William. She felt bad for not asking if he was hurt. She was too, but her Slayer healing had kicked in and she hated hospitals, so she ignored her wound. She hadn’t thought William would be hurt, and even if she had Buffy forgot that William was human. Human, not a vampire, normal (at least normal as one could get coming from 1880) which meant he was nothing like her, something that wasn’t normal. Immediately after that thought Buffy felt cold and alone.

Her thoughts quickly turned to her friends. The second chance with them, here and now, warmed her a little bit. Buffy had no idea what she was going to tell her friends about William. It was going to be a very awkward conversation. She almost felt herself smile at the thought of Xander’s reaction. And just as fast her almost smile disappeared. Xander in her mind still had both eyes.

Her thoughts drifted to her future, about the wakening of all the potentials and what new threat loomed over the horizon. Buffy wondered if she should lock William away to keep him safe. She knew if she lost the last bit of Spike left, even if it was just a figment of Spike, she would probably lose her heart and her soul.

:::::::::::::::::

The little black car had stopped before a small building with a large bright sign that read Sunny Road Diner. The building was nothing but windows topped with a bit of roof, the white bareness of the interior shone out from the many windows and masked the dimming sky of twilight. William was not surprised at how eerie the building looked to him. Everything was eerie and new.

William had many questions, about what happened to the world since he was…about how the current world worked, and about the rules of society. What was proper? How was he supposed to act?

Miss Summers hadn’t said a word since he had given her the amulet. He wasn’t sure why she was so silent now, but he thought perhaps the other…him…had been a dear friend of hers, and now William had offended her by his open distaste of that thing that used his body without his permission. She was distant now, almost cold, but before she had been relaxed around him. William didn’t want to acknowledge that this bothered him. He had dinner to get through and then hopefully he could sleep.

Mr. Giles and Miss Summer got out of the car first. William followed them to the side of the building where a red headed young woman in odd clothing and dark haired young man with an eye patch were standing. Both looked worn and harried. Another girl was sitting on a bench talking to the two strangers; she had brown hair and a familiar face. All three looked to the approaching party, and immediately they bounded to Miss Summers.

“Buffy!” The brown haired girl embraced Miss Summers, and he immediately felt the two were probably related.

“Buffy! You’re here!” said the red head as she joined the embrace and the girls broke apart.

“How’d the rescue from down under go?” The dark hair young man gently embraced Mss Summers as well. It was odd to watch the reunion. It looked as if certain physical barriers no longer existed. Though that didn’t explain why William felt displeasure from the young man touching Miss Summers.

“It went fine; actually there is something I need to tell you guys-”

“Spike!” The brown haired girl cut Miss Summers off, which almost seemed like a common occurrence here, the moment the young girl had looked at William. The young girl’s voice was a bit shrill, as if he was the last person she expected to see.

The red head looked surprised to see him as well, “Wow Spike, you’re here too and not all…well, we thought…but hey, you’re here!”

The man with the eye patch looked at him with raised eyebrows, “Whoa, Spike what’s with the image change? Got tired about the undead Billy Idol act?”

William was dumbfounded, again, and his temper rose slightly. His inadequacies were frustrating him. Now these three acted as if they knew him and oddly the only thing he understood from anyone was from the young girl. She spoke the name of the vampire, which meant she still thought William was the same creature. This was only more proof that he had been…that…

“Well, I…not sure as to what you are referring…” He fumbled for words.

Luckily Miss Summers came to his rescue. “This isn’t Spike guys, not really, well sorta, but not exactly.”

The look on all their faces made his insides churn. They all seemed dubious to the fact that he wasn’t Spike.

“What, no that’s Spike! I know his face anywhere!” The young girl’s admission made him slightly happy and horror struck at the same time. Did the family comment made by Miss Summers have more meaning than he previously believed? Were these people really a major part of his other existence? Who were these people? How did they know him, even as a vampire? Miss Summers even knew that his mother sang to him…what had happened between them?

“Wait what? He’s not Spike?” The red headed woman was more focused on Miss Summer than him, which was a small relief, even if it meant she ignored him for the time being. He didn’t want to get any angrier.

“Come one, that’s gotta be Spike? I would know his ugly mug and buggy blue eyes from anywhere, even under a new hair style.” The young man’s comments though were testing his temper.

Before he could speak Miss Summers’ impatient voice cut the air. “What? Spike doesn’t have buggy eyes and he isn’t ugly…no, that’s not the point. Look guys, this isn’t Spike”

All of them looked at William again in silence before verbally attacking Miss Summers.

“Who is he then?” The young girl looked thoroughly confused.

“Is he the one you rescued?” The red head was generally curious.

“Where did he come from?” William could hear the young man’s defensive tones, his protectiveness was commendable.

Mr. Giles sighed from behind William. “Everyone, please calm down. You’re being a bit rude. This is William Pratt, who has no memories of the last 123 years.”

There was a moments silence and it appeared as if they all understood what that meant. There was a collective “Oh” followed by another pause. Everyone’s body language changed, either by relaxing or tensing.

“It’s nice to meet you William, I’m Willow Rosenberg.” Miss Rosenberg held out her hand for a hand shake, not in the normal way a woman should offer her hand, and this surprised William. Did all women here act like men?

He took it nonetheless. “It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Rosenberg.”

“Oh just call me Willow, Miss Rosenberg sounds too oldish and adult for me.”

“Well…I…I suppose if you prefer…” William was uncomfortable with the idea, but he was at a loss on the situation.

“Hey, if you can call her by first name you can call me by my first name too. I’m not mom material yet either.” Miss Summers’ voice startled him. Were there any manners left in the world?

“If it’s appropriate Miss Summers, I will desist on calling you by your proper name, though I’m not sure why the future has allowed proper decorum to run by the way side.” His anger had gotten to him, and he felt awful about it as soon as the words left his mouth.

Miss Summers, no, Buffy he reminded himself, raised her eyebrows at him and gave him an incredulous look. “You don’t have to get all weirded out on name preferences William; things are different in the 21st century.” She thought for another moment. “And I have lots of decorum.”

“If you insist I will be happy to call you whatever you prefer.” William had no idea what had gotten into him. He hated the idea of using given names instead of family names, but if this was part of the rules of this society, he would have to accept the change.

His attention was quickly diverted to the remaining two he had yet to get acquainted with.

The others had remained silent in their small exchange, but the young girl spoke up, “I’m Dawn, Buffy’s sister.” She didn’t extend her hand.

William smiled and nodded, “It is a pleasure to meet you as well Dawn.”

The young man held out his hand, but it seemed he was reluctant. William saw the same hesitance and dislike in this man’s face that he saw when he first met Mr. Giles. He took his hand anyway.

“You’re human,” was all the other man could say at the moment.

“Of course…Yes…Yes, I am.” William tasted a bitter flavor in his mouth. He still wasn’t used to the idea that he had been dead until recently.

“I’m Harris, Xander Harris.” Mr. Harris gave him a cocky smile and stepped away. William felt uncomfortable under the younger man’s gaze. He wondered what crime he committed that made the young man so antagonistic towards him and realized he might not wish to know.

“What? Spike’s human?” Willow’s voice caught him off guard.

“How did that happened?” asked Dawn.

“We’ll discuss this inside, once we’re seated. I’m starving.” Buffy lead the group inside the building and William followed right behind her. He didn’t like entering an establishment in his current condition but soon realized it didn’t matter. The place didn’t look upscale to him, nor the sparse few who were already eating. They didn’t have to wait long for a table, and Mr. Giles spoke with one of the workers to secure a more private setting. As soon as everyone was sitting with their menu in their hands, they began to talk.

“So what happened when you went into the crater?” Willow spoke first, her voice full of anticipation.

“How is Spike human and with no memory of anything?” Xander seemed discontent with this topic but had asked this first.

“Are you OK Buffy?” Dawn’s concerned voice was hardly noticed.

“Wait, hold up.” Buffy looked at Dawn, “I’m fine Dawn.” She then directed her attention to everyone else. “First tell me what happened when you guys got into town? Where are the others?” Buffy’s voice was filled with authority and William knew she was the leader of this group. What kind of group they were he had no idea. She did mention she ‘slayed’ vampires. Perhaps that was what the group was about, slaying demons. But why didn’t they slay…the other him, when given the chance? Buffy and Mr. Giles mentioned the vampire that had his body did ‘save the world’ this morning. Perhaps he had been looking for redemption, working against demons? He wanted know but despised the thought of knowing.

“Kennedy and Andrew are taking care of the girls that didn’t need medical attention at the motel, while the others are at the hospital.” Willow’s voice interrupted him from his thoughts. He understood more and more that a battle had raged this morning. There were casualties in war, and if this group fought evil, he should be in safe company for the time being.

“Faith and Robin already took off to the Hellmouth in Cleveland,” said Xander.

“Is that where we’re going next?” asked Dawn.

“I think it might be more prudent to go overseas, to England, sort out the new slayers and perhaps rebuild the council, the girls will need guidance.” Mr. Giles calm voice belittled the hard look in his eyes.

Buffy sighed, she looked defeated and again she pulled at William’s heart. Why did she have such an effect on him? “That actually sounds good, but how are we going to get there, not everyone here has a passport?” Buffy glanced at William.

“We could go to L.A. Angel could get all of us there.” Willow’s suggestion caused Buffy to look at the red head incredulously. Instead of arguing Buffy sighed again.

“I suppose, we don’t have much of a choice.” Buffy turned over her menu and took another glanced at William. “We also might get some info on William.”

Dawn looked casually at William, “So you don’t remember anything of the last few years?”

“No, actually the last I remember was being bit by a woman and suddenly I woke in the remains of that town.”

“Oh.” Willow’s stunned face caused William to feel highly self conscience.

“Will, do think magic could be the reason?” Buffy sounded a bit desperate, and William’s brows furrowed in contemplation. Surely she didn’t want him to become a vampire again? And did she mention magic in a serious tone?

He shouldn’t have been surprised when Willow seemed to take the comment seriously, “It could be, anything is possible if certain conditions are met.”

“Remember Willow, certain magicks come with heavy consequences. We still do not know if releasing the power of the potentials had any dire effect.” Mr. Giles also seemed to take magic seriously.

It was then it hit him. This was a new world he was in. It was the future, where demons and magic existed. If this wasn’t a dream, if this was reality, he had stepped into the real life vision of A Midsummer’s Night Dream. And there was no going back. He gripped his knees and swallowed.

“There is always some dire effect when using magic, dear Willow. Am I not living proof?” William looked at Willow, his heart sinking.

“We don’t know for sure about why you’re here Spike.” Willow’s calm voice did nothing to ease the pain in his heart.

“William, please.” He didn’t want to be reminded of what he had been.

“The amulet.” Buffy’s soft whisper caused everyone’s attention to focus on her.

“What?” Xander’s confused expression matched the rest of the table.

Buffy took the amulet from her pocket and placed it on the table in front of Willow. “I found this on William; this is the same one that Spike was wearing. There has to be a connection.”

Willow picked up the amulet and immediately looked at Buffy, “Yeah, I think you’re right. I feel something.”

William almost wanted to hold his breath yet he was mesmerized by what he saw. Willow had closed her eyes and then quickly chanted a small spell. A golden light shone from the amulet and then dispersed quickly.

“I feel him guys, it’s Spike, er, well not exactly Spike but I sense his feelings and memories. Kind of like a spirit but not exactly, he’s there but not.” Willow slid the amulet back to Buffy.

“In the amulet?” Buffy picked the amulet back up gingerly.

“Yeah, I know this is gonna sound wonky, but it felt like, well, a vampire. So I’m thinking the amulet sucked in the vampire part of Spike and left his human part here.” Willow gave Buffy a half smile.

With that William stood. He didn’t know what to say, or how to say it. But he needed to get away, at least for a few minutes. If there was a wash room somewhere he could gather his wits within. He was startled when the server came to the table the moment he had stood.

“If you’re looking for the bathroom it’s around the corner, that way.” The server pointed to her right.

William nodded and then looked at the table. “Excuse me.”

He dashed to the wash room, hardly paying attention to where he was going. He understood the sign for the men’s wash room and was thankful when it was empty when he entered. He saw his reflection in the mirror and almost laughed. He was pale and disheveled. He looked exactly as he felt, tossed about by the fates. Just last night, at least to him, he was at a party, like any other. Everything was normal, sane. But his broken heart led him to an alley where a woman had changed his life forever. Not once this day had he thought of Cecily. She was the only thing that seemed far away, everything else was so close.

William looked at the marble below the mirror. He thought he understood enough to realize the functions of what he was looking at. William pulled and turned a few of the knobs in front of him and was relieved when something he did caused the water to run. He gathered the water in his hands and splashed the water on his face. Again he looked into the mirror. He gripped the counter this time. Why? Why did he not have control of his life? He didn’t want to be a pawn of whatever it was that controlled the world. Was it God that allowed this? Where would he fit in this new world? His mother… His mother died alone most likely, having lost her son, her last remaining family member.

Tears had begun to fall freely from his eyes. Who was he? He had followed the rules, he did everything he was told. Now the rules were gone, a new life had opened up to him. He had to learn everything over again. He had been a vampire, which was the truth. He had learned everything about this life as a vampire. William would do everything he could in his power to learn about this life as a human. He wouldn’t let his crimes as a vampire control him. He would work with these people, with Buffy, and right the wrongs of ever letting himself be bit. He didn’t understand it then, he was being controlled by some run away emotion but now he knew. He had to lose everything to understand that he had to be himself, to find out who he was, and make sure that all this wasn’t meaningless. He wouldn’t let his second chance be meaningless. He wouldn’t die again without proving to the world he was someone worth noticing.

The door to the wash room opened and William was startled again. In the door way stood a speechless Xander, who was looking at William as if he had just interrupted something important. William gazed back at the man, not knowing what to say. After a few moments Xander broke the uncomfortable silence first.

“Ah, we were just wondering, since we were ordering and you’ve been gone some time, if you…” Xander drifted off into silence, the air around them felt awkward.

Xander paced slightly, looked right to left before looking back at William, “I know this is a big change for you and all, very comfortable for anyone really, being sucked out of your time and landing in the twilight zone.” Xander stopped his speech. He was obviously deciding on something. Finally he made up his mind. “You’ve got Buffy; I know she’ll help you out. And we…” Xander sighed. “We’ll help too, not much really, but we’ll try to help you adjust.”

William’s tears had stopped, and he felt as if he could breathe again. He had friends here; a family is what Buffy had called it. Yes, he could do this, he could move forward, no matter how hard it would be.

:::::::::::::::::